Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Time bomb was always hilarious to me. Love that skill, even if it is not even close to being the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
AFAIK, post-buffs Time Bomb is basically its own mini-nuke now and actually pretty legit. The problem is that Traps has no easy way to set up for it whereas Devices can Smoke 'n' Cloak.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

I think the question always circles back to context. On whipcrack 8 person teams Caltrops are largely meaningless. On small teams and solo, loving with the AI is comparatively huge and becomes its own form of damage mitigation.

Similarly, Web Grenade has its niche if only for how goddamn often the AI decides to run off. Plus -Fly. And at the end of the day only one AT can skip it so you've probably got it by default.

I will say as a sidenote it's bewildering that even a newer set like Nature got saddled with a boring tier 1.

And this is why running +0/8 with 4-5 players is the best play style

Edit: but since it got lost on the other page, what do the optimizers think of the sorcery pool?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The problem with pool powers in general has always been that AT modifiers create weird redundancies. Blasters don't need another a single target blast, let alone one with a longer animation time and a weird conditional damage bonus, but are going to be the AT with the best numbers on Arcane Bolt. Spirit Ward might be a rare case where it actually could be worth it on a support class because absorb is such a new mechanic that few sets feature it so you could slap it on top of something else rather nicely.

Though I never even realized Spirit Ward or Enflame were toggles. Their descriptions make them sound awful, but it seems like they're actually solidly okay, if a bit gimmicky.

The only power that might theoretically interest hardcore min/maxers is Rune of Protection, except oops it isn't affected by recharge bonuses so that's right out.

Really anything that isn't from the Fighting or Leadership pools, or Hasten (and to a lesser degree Combat Jumping) specifically is never going to be truly optimal, but gently caress it have some fun instead I say. All of the Sorcery powers look cool which trumps everything else.

Still wish I could preview what the other unique power pool powers looked like ahead of time. The early Force of Will stuff is pretty bland and I'm not sure I've ever even seen a single person using Experimentation.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 9, 2022

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
The experimentation self buff is worth it on offensive characters with room in the build. I've enjoyed eschewing overpaying on traditional defenses to go full rear end on damage for characters where taking aggro is usually avoidable and I've got it on all those guys.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Enflame is weird in that it's a toggle, but it also times out. It's still cool, it basically drops a big burn patch every five seconds or so and when it turns off, it's only a 15 second recharge. The absorb shield is just a straight toggle and is constantly refreshing itself. At least on a defender, the entire set seems great.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Soonmot posted:

Edit: but since it got lost on the other page, what do the optimizers think of the sorcery pool?

Sokay. Pool powers are always in that weird spot where devs don't want them to feel mandatory so they're always slightly undertuned or very niche, and that goes double for the attacks; AT modifiers hit them hard and make the almost entirely irrelevant, and then low recharges make them proc like butt so there's rarely a point. Arcane Bolt furthers this with its instant-recharge gimmick that seems dumb as hell on a power with a 7s base recharge, but it's got some mild applications with a Controller thanks to Containment.

Enflame doesn't do enough damage to justify its absurd end cost, and the ATs where I'd consider it viable (Defenders, Controller, MM) also conveniently have the lowest damage scaling for it. Scrappers, Blasters and Brutes have it highest but have to pay the Arcane Bolt/Spirit Ward tax to get there. Spirit Ward is also fine for main tank support purposes though I think it averages out to like 50 absorb every tick? It's a nice buffer if you can justify the end cost. And then RoP is also fine for what it is -- ironically it's well suited as an emergency tanking button but it's kind of gimmicky to get that deep in Sorcery as a tank.

There's some other gems in pool powers, too. Cross Punch is a solid atatck, Corrosive Vial and Weaken Resolve for procs, Adrenal Booster and Unleash Potential make for good panic buttons. And of course, Burnout is a hilarious gimmick with certain sets.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Brave New World posted:

On another note:
To all 3 people here that still give a crap about Champions Online, they're currently giving away a free FreeForm slot!

I know, I know, everyone will just want to talk about how much they hate CO, but it ain't *THAT* bad. And who can really complain about free schwag?

I played Champs and I did literally all the content there was to do in about 10 days, probably less, and I only played more than like 2 hours per day on weekends

Also when I played getting people to run the... whatever they called Dungeons in that game was like pulling teeth. People complained that the drops weren't worth the effort, but also nobody wanted the devs to MAKE the drops worth the effort because then people would be forced to group to get the best gear and that's not fair.

I have a pretty low opinion of the dedicated CO community, but I did manage to get a semi-static group who went through all the lairs with me and Therakiel's Temple was really fuckin' cool. I also liked the comic series missions or whatever they were called, one of them was John Carpenter's The Thing.

The game also probably gets the fewest, least frequent content patches of any MMO I've ever played

A free FF slot is definitely worth checking out but I would never spend money on the game. My experience is also from about ten years ago but astonishingly it looks like they've added very few new missions or Lairs or anything since then

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 9, 2022

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
CO had some interesting ideas but it never quite felt as nice to actually play as CoX did to me. It felt a lot more WoW-like. I think that's the reason why when CoX died, CO didn't see that big of a bump in its own popularity. It's not just that CoX is a superhero MMO, it's that it always had a very unique feel to it that went against the grain of all the other big MMOs of the time by virtue of having come out just before WoW and thus not being influenced by all the design trends it set,

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

In addition to content problems, IMO CO felt bad to play, was ugly as poo poo, and honestly the whole malfunctioning funtime robots in snake gulch did not leave a good first impression on me. On that first note it seemed completely unnecessary to use any powers other than your energy builder (which was mashable) and one of your energy spenders. Everything was doable with those two buttons

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The Cheshire Cat posted:

CO had some interesting ideas but it never quite felt as nice to actually play as CoX did to me. It felt a lot more WoW-like. I think that's the reason why when CoX died, CO didn't see that big of a bump in its own popularity. It's not just that CoX is a superhero MMO, it's that it always had a very unique feel to it that went against the grain of all the other big MMOs of the time by virtue of having come out just before WoW and thus not being influenced by all the design trends it set,

Not being influenced by WoW is a good thing though. Just the basic design choice of 1 hero always being equal to 3 minions was a huge departure from other mmos where if you pulled more than 1 mob solo things were looking bad. Having controllers actually able to lock down mobs permanently wouldn't have been a thing. Maybe even support sets other than healing exiting might have been nixed.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

John Murdoch posted:

The problem with pool powers in general has always been that AT modifiers create weird redundancies. Blasters don't need another a single target blast, let alone one with a longer animation time and a weird conditional damage bonus, but are going to be the AT with the best numbers on Arcane Bolt. Spirit Ward might be a rare case where it actually could be worth it on a support class because absorb is such a new mechanic that few sets feature it so you could slap it on top of something else rather nicely.

Though I never even realized Spirit Ward or Enflame were toggles. Their descriptions make them sound awful, but it seems like they're actually solidly okay, if a bit gimmicky.

The only power that might theoretically interest hardcore min/maxers is Rune of Protection, except oops it isn't affected by recharge bonuses so that's right out.

Really anything that isn't from the Fighting or Leadership pools, or Hasten (and to a lesser degree Combat Jumping) specifically is never going to be truly optimal, but gently caress it have some fun instead I say. All of the Sorcery powers look cool which trumps everything else.

Still wish I could preview what the other unique power pool powers looked like ahead of time. The early Force of Will stuff is pretty bland and I'm not sure I've ever even seen a single person using Experimentation.

Spirit Ward'll give mitigation that almost no armor set has access to in Absorb besides Rad and Bio. On any archetype with melee armor that isn't those two, it's a great survivability tool. Obviously you can't use it on yourself, but for supports, it's a good way to add some oomph, especially if you don't have a native heal.

RoP got nerfed to not be like 100% uptime cycling with clarion, but it's still good enough to get a ton of mez protection uptime with squishier ATs.

Edit: As for Experimentation:
Toxic Dart is Lethal/Toxic, which are basically the two most resisted damage types in PvE. Eh.
Experimental Injection, well, no one's gonna complain about getting a regen/recovery boost.
Corrosive vial, targeted toxic AoE with some -def utility, can mule a couple different -Res procs because of it, so if you don't have those in your build you can still fit em in.
Adrenal Booster: Seems real good. +Special is rare, everyone loves +Damage, +Recharge. 60s active, 600s recharge, don't know if it got hammered with the "no recharge" like RoP did. Could be great for hard mode content, probably good in PVP.

Mr. Maggy fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 10, 2022

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
FWIW, I mostly meant the actual visual FX/animations on those pool powers. Only way to see them is to take them first, which is really wonky.

Soonmot posted:

Not being influenced by WoW is a good thing though. Just the basic design choice of 1 hero always being equal to 3 minions was a huge departure from other mmos where if you pulled more than 1 mob solo things were looking bad. Having controllers actually able to lock down mobs permanently wouldn't have been a thing. Maybe even support sets other than healing exiting might have been nixed.

Low key the #1 thing that sets CoH apart is no goddamn auto attacks and just the general idea that you might want some kind of attack chain, rather than a small handful of spells that take several seconds to channel.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 10, 2022

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

CoH is also pretty unique in that powers stay useful. I can log in any of fifteen level 50 scrappers, with 6 T4 incarnate powers and all 4 +hp/end accolades, and I guarantee you I'll be using the same T1 armor and T1 or T2 attack I picked at character creation. Meanwhile, for my level 50 EQ characters (which hasn't been a high level in decades), you could delete the first half of my spell book and I probably wouldn't notice.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

John Murdoch posted:

FWIW, I mostly meant the actual visual FX/animations on those pool powers. Only way to see them is to take them first, which is really wonky.

Low key the #1 thing that sets CoH apart is no goddamn auto attacks and just the general idea that you might want some kind of attack chain, rather than a small handful of spells that take several seconds to channel.

Well, you have to take the pool. Once you take it you can go into Icon and look at all of the pool powers with a toggle in the lower left. Then you have to respec out of it, but respecs are pretty cheap and you can use your alternate build slots just to experiment with different power pools.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I had no idea that toggle existed. :aaaaa: It really shows the full pool even if you're only one power in?? Edit: Son of a gun, it do.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 10, 2022

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

John Murdoch posted:

I had no idea that toggle existed. :aaaaa: It really shows the full pool even if you're only one power in?? Edit: Son of a gun, it do.

Yes. It also works for incarnate powers, which is handy for getting a color scheme down before T4.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah this is the biggest flaw in Champions' mechanics concepts, since almost no powers have cooldowns you have no reason to take more than one of any category. Only a few exceptions to that, it ends up hurting the whole idea of freeform build characters.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Minor build update: I decided once I hit 44 to go ahead and respec into Mud Pots, helped along by the Body Mastery passive and a Performance Shifter proc. I'm still not thrilled to be taking such a boring epic, but I realized that Soul Mastery would ultimately be pretty lacking. I don't feel the need to have more ranged attacks on my tray (even if their numbers are almost certainly better than Arcane Bolt) and I have nothing to combo with the cool Ghost Widow hold. Shadow Meld would be neat, but its duration is a pathetic 15s (compared to Rune of Protection's full minute) and like...I theoretically could reorient my entire build plan around it and maybe get it perma'd but it'd take way too much effort and inf to get there and I hate building characters that way besides.

I also overlooked Leviathan Mastery since it doesn't fit my concept at all, but man it would be very funny to have TWO Hibernates for no real reason. :allears:

Edit: It's maybe too early say, because I've used it all of like thrice, but I'm thinking Geode needs tweaks. If I'm eating poo poo in a fight such that it's bypassed all of my other layers of mitigation, entering a stasis that...can then be quickly broken by the same incoming damage that nearly pasted me in the first place doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 13, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Not a big fan of Hibernate type powers at all, for just that reason. I have literally never seen anyone use one of those in a cool or useful way, usually it's like "huh that guy threw hibernate I wonder why"

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Actual Hibernate makes you completely invincible while you recover. If something manages to break through Ice Armor enough to make you eat poo poo, you can Ctrl + Z it with no fear. Meanwhile Geode has an HP bar that just gets chipped apart by the same incoming damage that forced you to hole up in the first place. It feels like they tried to compensate for it by giving Geode a weird additional perk where it also gives stacks of bonus Brimstone Armor damage.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 14, 2022

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I just skipped Geode for an origin pool capper, Unleash Potential in my case. Boosted regen, defense, and recovery don't make for as much of an oh poo poo button but they do the job alright if I can see it coming.

Rad/stone scrapper. Never got the chance to do radiation melee.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 14, 2022

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Ooh, fun concept. I'm always for making something out of untapped/incomplete lore scraps.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
wow infiltration from the concealment pool loving sucks. I took it on my magic defender to fill out the gimmick and to help stealth to objectives so i can att the group, but i'm constantly getting spotted. Might as well respec out of that and grant invisibility.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Throwing a stealth IO in sprint should stack enough to make it work if that's your bit.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Infiltration is about "half a stealth". Add superspeed + stealth IO in sprint (or superspeed itself) and it becomes about "one and a half" stealth and also adds a very useful amount of jump height and run speed if you're not already at the run speed cap. Just by itself it's a compromise travel power, sort of between SJ and SS.
e: you can see the exact details of this in combat attributes stealth info

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Traps is probably better as a mastermind set than it is on other archetypes, I just got Lore and Destiny unlocked on my Mercenaries/Traps mastermind. That version of the set is, at least, solidly Fine. I even get mileage out of the webnade because getting shot at by six pets seems to trigger the ''oh no panic' AI a lot and it slows/stops runners.

Triage beacon's about a 300% regen boost, pop tthat in along with Mark of Supremacy's unique and you've got 550% regen on your pets, which can make a serious difference in a fight.

Seeker Drones are, admittedly, probably best to just summon them into the middle off a crowd. I think the fact that they eat the spawn's alpha is almost as impactful as the -tohit and -dam they inflict. They're not very exciting, but they do what they do.

Detonator hits pretty hard and all it requires is a minion. between mastermind IO buffs, FFG, and +Regen, your minions will die slowly enough that you can select one that's surrounded and damaged HP before hitting the power for a free trip mine with no interrupt.

Trip mine does good damage and with FFG/Maneuvers and your pets drawing aggro, you have an okay chance to get a toebomb off. I do wish it was less interruptable, but I guess I didn't slot it for any interrupt reduction, so.

The current meta of high-speed lawnmower teams affects a lot of sets, andn yeah, you rarely get to set up your full pillowfort nowadays, but the set's at least not trash garbage.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Why the hell is Hell on Earth a ten minute base recharge. Thugs can get Gangwar up every other fight, but this power, that seems no where near as good, is ten minutes?

Also: They really need to make a whip powerset.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
IIRC, Hell On Earth does some tangible damage and gives a huge buff to the demon you use it on. Whereas Gang War is pure distraction. Though MM utility powers as a whole are pretty messy.

Back in the day they were toying with a whip set, but weren't satisfied with how things were turning out so they took the work they had completed and turned it into a fire whip and welp. Fun fact, the texture for the original leather whip was still in the files.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT

Soonmot posted:

from somebody on the RP server: no. absolutely not.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

VoidTek posted:

from somebody on the RP server: no. absolutely not.

that sounds like a "you" problem lol.

I also still want a melee version of DP going all gun kata

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
How do you increase the kinetic power of you ammo?

WITH YOUR FISTS

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Still looking forward to martial arts and pro wrestling style support sets, so you rebalance people's chi by combat chiropractic moves and you inspire your teammates with glorious powerbomb

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Soonmot posted:

Why the hell is Hell on Earth a ten minute base recharge. Thugs can get Gangwar up every other fight, but this power, that seems no where near as good, is ten minutes?

They have identical cooldowns, just people tend to do Burnout with Gang War (and oddly not Hell on Earth even though it can get funny clowncar levels too). But also Hell on Earth is on a overall better set, and it's a solid boost to your strongest pet that works well out of the box without needing a defensive set to cover for it, and it's pretty easy to get it high uptime due to the 90 second duration.

Also you can get up Hell on Earth with very high uptime and slot it with some pet auras.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Flesh Forge posted:

Still looking forward to martial arts and pro wrestling style support sets, so you rebalance people's chi by combat chiropractic moves and you inspire your teammates with glorious powerbomb

I'd love to see how they'd even begin to attempt to make a powerbomb animation work on Hamidon, and then for 10 people hitting it on Hami at the same time

e: I guess that's why you said support. team powerbombs still stand.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I'd love to see how they'd even begin to attempt to make a powerbomb animation work on Hamidon, and then for 10 people hitting it on Hami at the same time

e: I guess that's why you said support. team powerbombs still stand.
I would run the Faathim TF daily if it meant I could do this to Lanaru.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Absolutely, totally OK with this, or with globs of Hamidon

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Introducing the new single target Judgement Incarnate power...

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Is there an ingame chat channel or supergroup we're using on excelsior?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
Homecoming's doing more stuff: They've turned the Halloween event on with the new tweak of five new EB's being added to the Trick or Treat enemy pool.

Also, more power proliferation, some Mastermind buffs, and having some Primary, Secondary, and Pool powers available earlier. (Take your T9 nuke at 26, you can skip your secondary's T1 for the T2, etc).

Dominators can get a slightly modified version of Illusion Control, Sentinels get Seismic Blast and Stone Armor, as well as a Sentinel Inherent reworking that's just a general debuff effect rather than Offensive/Defensive Opportunity chances.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/38105-beta-patch-notes-for-october-4th-2022-issue-27-second-chances-page-5-powers-preview/