Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

Rust Martialis posted:

Pushing the RUAF out of Kherson would close the door on threats to Melitopol and Odesa, and allow significant Ukranian forces to move to Donbass, for starters.

It also puts those retreating Russian forces back into Donbas if they aren’t attritioned away beforehand. It’s been observed before (this summer) that the Russian supply situation and capability may be best in Donbas.

At the very least, the equipment Ukraine captured in the current thrust can be used or used for stair parts. Armchair general blah blah blah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dreissi posted:

At the very least, the equipment Ukraine captured in the current thrust can be used or used for stair parts.

I hope the Ukrainians use them to fix their vehicles for now at least. They can use them for stairs later.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Dreissi posted:

It also puts those retreating Russian forces back into Donbas if they aren’t attritioned away beforehand. It’s been observed before (this summer) that the Russian supply situation and capability may be best in Donbas.

At the very least, the equipment Ukraine captured in the current thrust can be used or used for stair parts. Armchair general blah blah blah.

Yeah but with no intact bridges, the withdrawing troops will be under regular shelling as they cross the Dnepr, and they'll be leaving a chunk of the heavy materiel behind. How many tanks and SPGs does the RUAF have in Kherson with no road connection back across the river? The closer the AFU get to the river, the more eyes and tubes they can point at crossing points.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
I am more curious as in how the Russian government will portray these current losses, and especially if they lose Kherson, to the Russian people.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I hope the Ukrainians use them to fix their vehicles for now at least. They can use them for stairs later.

No vehicles only stairs.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Dick Ripple posted:

I am more curious as in how the Russian government will portray these current losses, and especially if they lose Kherson, to the Russian people.

I'm honestly not. We've seen before how they more or less ignore losses or explain them away. Fairly sure even losing all or most of their gains and upwards of 50k troops wouldn't even faze them. They've been helping hush up their state's failures for decades now, after all.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dick Ripple posted:

With a police truncheon to their heads, probably.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Maybe for the populace at large. But as we are seeing with these Telegram posts there seem to be a good plenty of Russians keeping close eyes on what is going on and giving their opinions. Unfortunately the prevailing opinion also seems to be that they need to take the kid gloves off... Besides the realities of if or how the Russians can do that, Putin and his regime cannot keep sitting on their asses as the Ukrainians keep pushing them back.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Dick Ripple posted:

0 losses since 24 February, comrade, keep spreading the good news

or else

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

https://twitter.com/VolodyaTretyak/status/1567983573172363264

Looks like LNR troops are not enjoying the situation that they are in. I laughed when they demanded military prosecutors from Moscow should be sent to resolve their problems.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Ripple posted:

Withdrew from Kherson as a show of good faith

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dick Ripple posted:

Maybe for the populace at large. But as we are seeing with these Telegram posts there seem to be a good plenty of Russians keeping close eyes on what is going on and giving their opinions. Unfortunately the prevailing opinion also seems to be that they need to take the kid gloves off... Besides the realities of if or how the Russians can do that, Putin and his regime cannot keep sitting on their asses as the Ukrainians keep pushing them back.

I think there's a caveat there that while a lot of Russian nationalist sentiment will be 'we must fight harder', the way you code dissent in Russia without risking yourself is to say "things are bad for reasons that are nobody's fault and also I'm totally sure the government has everything under control and if we only support the regime harder things will get better".

You can ignore much of the message after 'things are bad' because it's performative.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Looking at even the more conservative war maps this morning, Izium is suddenly starting to look very exposed if there are enough Ukrainian forces to take a beeline southwards.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
There are now Ukrainian reports that Russian soldiers have been abandoning their uniforms and switching to civilian attire to try to sneak back to Russia. The witnesses mentioned 15 cases in one day so it's not large scale, but makes you wonder how well they are going to succeed... I'm sure that groups of service age civilian males travelling through the area won't attract the attention of either Russian or Ukrainian military or partisans.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

lilljonas posted:

Looking at even the more conservative war maps this morning, Izium is suddenly starting to look very exposed if there are enough Ukrainian forces to take a beeline southwards.

They don't even need to. If the Ukrainians take Kupiansk then all the Russian supply for that area is dependent on two bridges over a major river (sound familiar?).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Alchenar posted:

They don't even need to. If the Ukrainians take Kupiansk then all the Russian supply for that area is dependent on two bridges over a major river (sound familiar?).

Yeah, in many ways Kherson and Kharkiv offensives both have seemingly pursued important supply routes as the first strike opportunity, but that doesn’t really help us with figuring out what’s the step 2 of either of these plans, and if they share similarities. Of course, the end goal is to liberate their home from Russian occupation, but that doesn’t make for a constructive conversation on interpreting movements of the past week, or anticipating those of the next.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Sep 9, 2022

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Only having Russian sources to go on and it still being a story of total domination by Ukraine is one hell of a thing

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1568170459400634368

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
:eyepop:

https://twitter.com/War_Mapper/status/1568026431028097024

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
looks like the UAF have continued exploiting their gains
https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1568182047838986242

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/neilphauer/status/1568168891662192640

Paracausal posted:

looks like the UAF have continued exploiting their gains
https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1568182047838986242

:eyepop: This is the money shot town. Let’s see if they can retake and hold it, or at least wreck the logistics infrastructure of RuAF. :suspense:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:eyepop: This is the money shot town. Let’s see if they can retake and hold it, or at least wreck the logistics infrastructure of RuAF. :suspense:

We will be tired of winning!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
From a very clueless armchair general pov, this looks like russian forces were basically incredibly stretched out to claim as much land as possible without any thought put into how that border was supposed to hold against a Ukrainian offensive. And this might have been further exacerbated by the Kherson engagements provoking some redeployment of troops, as well as the panic Crimean air assets relocation programme. At any rate, that looks incredibly well timed and executed by Ukraine, fingers crossed.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://twitter.com/neilphauer/status/1568168891662192640

Ukraine soldiers look pretty relaxed. I'd guess there's not a lot of resistance active.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FishMcCool posted:

From a very clueless armchair general pov, this looks like russian forces were basically incredibly stretched out to claim as much land as possible without any thought put into how that border was supposed to hold against a Ukrainian offensive. And this might have been further exacerbated by the Kherson engagements provoking some redeployment of troops, as well as the panic Crimean air assets relocation programme. At any rate, that looks incredibly well timed and executed by Ukraine, fingers crossed.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ukraine soldiers look pretty relaxed. I'd guess there's not a lot of resistance active.

That’s seems to be the case so far, that they hit an unusually weak area with a force of elevated concentration - though they also are undoubtedly in simply good spirits at the moment.

Russian commentators seem to be talking about Izyum reinforcements of sorts redeploying to Kupyansk, and the touted 3rd Army Corps being dispatched to reinforce it as well. While I would expect them to be retaliating against the Ukrainian spearhead, at the moment I’m struggling to tell apart copium from meaningful information. In any case, it shouldn’t take more than 2-3 days for even the Belgorod garrison to reach the area, if there’s nothing else closer, so I would expect to hear of considerably intensified combat by Sunday the latest.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

FishMcCool posted:

From what I've read on the breakthrough, it's pretty much this. Russia has had to cover a lot of border with a decreasing amount of troops, especially after massing troops for the struggle in Donbas and then massing troops in Kherson to defend that territory. This seems to have meant that more and more parts of the border were left for second tier troops (SOBR which are basically SWAT police guys and Luhansk/Donetsk draftees in this case where the breakthrough happened). At some point, Ukraine just needed to find one of those gradually weakening holes in the line, and punch REALLY hard, and the breakthrough was complete.

Basically, you can't both do grinding month-long assaults, mass reserves in several areas, AND defend a long extended border at the same time. Especially without drafting a lot of more troops when you're bleeding manpower.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 9, 2022

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

FishMcCool posted:

Ukrainians had 6 months to mobilize for total war and now have 700,000 men under arms and the Russians at the beginning had 190,000 in Ukraine at most and it's been downhill since then. It was only a matter of time. Training and western arms would eventually mean the disparity in numbers between the two sides would be untenable. And that's where we are today.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

Ukrainians had 6 months to mobilize for total war and now have 700,000 men under arms and the Russians at the beginning had 190,000 in Ukraine at most and it's been downhill since then. It was only a matter of time. Training and western arms would eventually mean the disparity in numbers between the two sides would be untenable. And that's where we are today.

I'm not sure they quite have 700,000 men quite yet. And there's still really not ennough in the way of armor and artillery, even with Western aid, to enable all those hundreds of thousands to be constitute a force fuly capable of a wide offensive. But they are capable of this, and with those numbers they can actually put together a decent defensive front line with rear area reserves in a way the Russians likely just can't.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Randarkman posted:

I'm not sure they quite have 700,000 men quite yet. And there's still really not ennough in the way of armor and artillery, even with Western aid, to enable all those hundreds of thousands to be constitute a force fuly capable of a wide offensive. But they are capable of this, and with those numbers they can actually put together a decent defensive front line with rear area reserves in a way the Russians likely just can't.

They seem to be capturing a lot of equipment including some rather large SPGs so at least Russia remains a reliable and helpful donor.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://ria.ru/20220909/kupyansk-1815632361.html

That's a big ton shift, official Russian press acknowledging things are difficult in Kupyansk. Basically the first acknowledgement that things aren't going to plan.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Dick Ripple posted:

It's just a FEINT, BRO!!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Randarkman posted:

I would be entirely surprised if the nominal headcount would confirm the 700k announcement made some time ago, but that is just a number of people alive. It doesn’t inform us of their health situation, level of training, depth of combat experience, the concentration of their deployments, or the equipment made available to them. If I had to make guess, Ukrainian forces have significantly outnumbered Russian forces for months already, but the situation with equipment remains fragile.

FishBulbia posted:

https://ria.ru/20220909/kupyansk-1815632361.html

That's a big ton shift, official Russian press acknowledging things are difficult in Kupyansk. Basically the first acknowledgement that things aren't going to plan.

Uh, “the situation in region is difficult, non-trivial… the city is sufficiently safe” is not the strongest statement in Russian PR speak.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Dick Ripple posted:

This isn't directed at you at all but it's just nuts to me how 6+ months into this thing there are still people who think that any day now Russia's going to start actually taking this thing seriously, issue a general mobilization, and then the Ukrainians will be sorry they pushed poor Mother Russia to that point.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Cantorsdust posted:

I'll be honest and say that I don't see why the Kharkiv offensive overall would be a more important push than the one on Kherson. Kherson lets you threaten Crimea, it lets you threaten southeastern Ukraine. The offensive around Kharkiv lets you make local advances around Kharkiv, but I don't see how it builds to a more strategic objective. Am I missing something?

Some folk have given great analysis but if Russia can't defend two places at once, Ukraine can continue to take the fight to the north and then shift south to Donbass. Which then if they want to defend, they have to take soldiers from the south.

If you can fight on one front, and your enemy can fight on two, you're going to lose to attrition at some point.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1568210289190998017

Looks like the Ghost of Kyiv is back in town.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
That turn south! :eyepop:

https://mobile.twitter.com/tinso_ww/status/1568212241471737856

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

It's fake news. But a decent computer generated at first glance.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/davekeating/status/1568204953314787329

https://twitter.com/marceldirsus/status/1568166376799444992

https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/1568172909637603329

https://twitter.com/mariademertzis/status/1568168999392878592

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

lol I love these CGI troll videos - not quite HIMARS in an inflatable dingy by the Crimea bridge but it's up there.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I plead mercy, Mr. Joke Explainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nelson Mandingo posted:

are you suggesting the ghost of kyiv isn't real??????