Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Chord's hilarious as they had months of free promotion from one of the biggest audio idiot youtubers, then decided to gently caress him over on support when his Mojo broke and got publicly run the gently caress down by him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

TIL there are two British companies named Chord which make audio nonsense, and the other one is even dumber

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/chord-groundaray-review-noise-filter.36256/

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

Chord has always had an 'interesting' design perspective.

Powerful Genesis/32x/SegaCD stack energy here. Only fancier.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

repiv posted:

TIL there are two British companies named Chord which make audio nonsense, and the other one is even dumber

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/chord-groundaray-review-noise-filter.36256/

gently caress yeah this is the good poo poo.

quote:

You are supposed to plug in the unit into the unused ports on your gear. And the more, the better.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

stealie72 posted:

The tower of power is back, and you won't believe how much it's gonna cost you.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
gear that looks like medical equipment: hot
stands that look like office equipment: not

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Crime on a Dime posted:

gear that looks like medical equipment: hot
stands that look like office equipment: not

Where does the dental equipment made using the Jaguar molds fit into this? https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1q5252/til_when_atari_went_bankrupt_they_sold_the_jaguar/

Hot.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

stealie72 posted:

That's the Nintendo CD. It's coming out this Christmas my uncle works there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

large hands posted:

That's the Nintendo CD. It's coming out this Christmas my uncle works there.

I'm definitely posting far too much in this thread today, but in case you didn't know - someone actually did find a genuine prototype of the Nintendo CD based console when they were working with Sony prior to the PlayStation coming out. One of those 'oh poo poo the rumors were true' situations for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9ThTxiqx30

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

njsykora posted:

Chord's hilarious as they had months of free promotion from one of the biggest audio idiot youtubers, then decided to gently caress him over on support when his Mojo broke and got publicly run the gently caress down by him.

Which one?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Dankpods, he pushed the Chord Mojo a lot in his videos for a while. Then one day it wouldn't turn on and a few weeks later he straight up said Chord hadn't responded to any of his support emails.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This is actually a fairly clever idea in that if you buy this and want to change your furniture it's going to cost you A LOT. But I like the idea of integrating audio in this manner instead of having to worry about placement and inevitably having to compromise.

Ultimate centre channel y'know...

https://l-acoustics-creations.com/uploads/2021/03/l-acoustics-creations-island-brochure-2021.pdf

This is dumb and pointless though so very on-brand for this thread

I was shopping for ridiculously expensive and good PA gear and saw this on their site and remembered it had been posted here. L-acoustics is definitely a little flowery with their language and very French but they're absolutely a company that doesn't gently caress around. I have zero doubt that ridiculous couch sounds amazing.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

idk if this fits, but this comment is one of the top on Steve Guttenberg's most recent video.

This just hits so many beats of stdh.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

phosdex posted:

idk if this fits, but this comment is one of the top on Steve Guttenberg's most recent video.

This just hits so many beats of stdh.

He left out the part where everyone stood up and clapped.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

qirex posted:

He left out the part where everyone stood up and clapped.

“…and then, when the guy was engrossed in a pair of Golden Ear floorstanders, and the daughter was distracted by the DVD copy of Mulan we had looping on one of the store demo setups, the wife wordlessly took me by the hand into the Bowers & Wilkins room and there she pushed me up against the wall and pulled down my khakis…”

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Dear What Hifi?, I never thought this would happen to me

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Ok Comboomer posted:

“…and then, when the guy was engrossed in a pair of Golden Ear floorstanders, and the daughter was distracted by the DVD copy of Mulan we had looping on one of the store demo setups, the wife wordlessly took me by the hand into the Bowers & Wilkins room and there she pushed me up against the wall and pulled down my khakis…”

"...she showed me her thick midrange and asked me to decouple her from the floor"

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-QxLAxwxkM

Techmoan going through those reviews made me laugh hard.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

waiting for the Herb Reichert rebuttal

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Drastic Actions posted:

poo poo's incredible. I had no idea this thing existed but when I saw the thumbnail I thought for sure it would be turning the actual surface of the CD like you can do with brake rotors, to remove the scratches and what not. When he read what the actual "solution" was that was pretty :eyepop:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

mobby_6kl posted:

poo poo's incredible. I had no idea this thing existed but when I saw the thumbnail I thought for sure it would be turning the actual surface of the CD like you can do with brake rotors, to remove the scratches and what not. When he read what the actual "solution" was that was pretty :eyepop:

I remember hearing about using a green magic marker on the edge back when I first starting buying CDs in the mid-80s and knew that it was a stupid idea.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Why does anybody buy 4k UHD disks when they can just shave their Blu-Rays for better picture sharpness?

vv :hmmyes:

Mozi fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 3, 2022

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
I prefer to buy 4K UHD discs and add plastic back to them. It gives the warmer experience of a blu-ray, but preserves the fidelity.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Incredibly much of audiophilery is willful denial of everything that happens on the digital side of the digital to analog converter.

The rest is cables.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

evobatman posted:

Incredibly much of audiophilery is willful denial of everything that happens on the digital side of the digital to analog converter.

The rest is cables.
Lol, just lol, if you aren't hiring live musicians to play in your listening room.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

njsykora posted:

Dankpods, he pushed the Chord Mojo a lot in his videos for a while. Then one day it wouldn't turn on and a few weeks later he straight up said Chord hadn't responded to any of his support emails.

I haven't watched a lot of his stuff, but the stuff I have watched seems to mostly revolve around value for the money and build quality. And beating things to death with a large rock. Didn't seem like an audio idiot to me.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 4, 2022

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

evobatman posted:

The rest is cables.

Yeah, it blows my mind. Like Techmoan said, it's digital, it's either on or off. The idea that you can magically change the sound is just insane. And _then_ hearing how it "affected" video files, where you _know_ you can literally rip the raw files on the disc to compare... like, come on folks, you're all insane.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

KillHour posted:

I haven't watched a lot of his stuff, but the stuff I have watched seems to mostly revolve around value for the money and build quality. And beating things to death with a large rock. Didn't seem like an audio idiot to me.

That's been his thing for a while. iPod repairs and modding, how to get good sound on a budget, and being very, very Australian.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Bargearse posted:

That's been his thing for a while. iPod repairs and modding, how to get good sound on a budget, and being very, very Australian.

These days he's just another retro tech channel, think most of his recent stuff has been about old phones. His big shill company is Meze, a company making $4k headphones that aren't any better than some $300-500 ones. He's the only Youtuber who kept recommending KZ stuff after they were found to be lying about their drivers, doesn't keep up with changes in the audio space so keeps recommending the same things year after year which are now terrible value with how good the low end space has gotten. Also is a crypto guy which is what got me to leave his Patreon when he talked in his 1m subs video about how his crypto gains were what let him get that big warehouse space he's now leaving.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Well that's disappointing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Drastic Actions posted:

Yeah, it blows my mind. Like Techmoan said, it's digital, it's either on or off. The idea that you can magically change the sound is just insane. And _then_ hearing how it "affected" video files, where you _know_ you can literally rip the raw files on the disc to compare... like, come on folks, you're all insane.
It's not even the on-off thing.

There's an encoding of data, where the bits have a specific "purpose". Changing some ominous light scattering won't flip the bits of the audio data and the mathematically complex error correction data in the frame in the right way to represent a wider sound stage or whatever the gently caress. You can explain to these morons on how Red Book Compact Discs work until you get blue in the face, it's loving useless.

And don't get me started on compressed video becoming "sharper and more vivid".

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

njsykora posted:

Also is a crypto guy which is what got me to leave his Patreon when he talked in his 1m subs video about how his crypto gains were what let him get that big warehouse space he's now leaving.

This was the point his videos were no longer entertaining and I peaced out. You can yabber all sorts of nonsense, do the same thing over and over and inject a fake laugh and I won't mind so much if the content is generally amusing but crypto poo poo is a noper.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

iem cables continue to be a hilarious scam

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/effect-audio-new-release-cleopatra-ii-pristine-sound-of-nature-by-the-nile.964783/

quote:

MSRP:
Cleopatra II - USD999
Cleopatra II OCTA - USD1599
Cleopatra II OFC 4.4 - USD999
Cleopatra II OCTA OFC 4.4 - USD1599

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I also turn up all the knobs on equalisers to make the sound better. It's even better that the I/II thing makes it look like their product is past the distortion threshold.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It’s to fit with all the good Effect Audio IEMs like….uhhh….

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is the best kind of marketing. Since they didn't define a scale, they can always add more bars for a new release. In 10 years, the bars will become dots and there will be hundreds of them.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
"Detail retrieval" is definitely the X-Fi bar above the line. iZotope just came out with RX 10 and they claimed a major improvement in what might actually be described as that technology - restoring parts of an audio file that compression has removed. And you know what? It was *really* bad in the previous version and it is passably less bad in this new one.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

AI upscaling but for 128kbps mp3 files encoded in the early 2000s.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

njsykora posted:

but like what if you shave the tops of the bits for better fidelity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

njsykora posted:

Yup. Except it doesn't do well with musical content. I think they're mostly intending it for voice applications, cleaning up really highly compressed phone calls for interviews and the like.