Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Nathan

idk what the stat spread optimization is but going into a new chapter without willpower seems bad generally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Nathan

the last time we ran out of willpower someone got ran over - let's avoid that

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Spend the time with Mother

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Either Nathan or Gloria.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Nathan for the willpower.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Nathan

Frozenzen
Mar 26, 2016

Can't argue with this.

Nathan!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Nathan. Gotta be a good big brother.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Yeah, Nathan.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Roll with Nathan

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Roll with Nathan

Gonna give him such a noogy

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
1.11 - Bright Lights, Big City

Nathan it is!

Out of the entire Brante family, he's certainly the most compassionate.

And the most lost.

This is nice. I like Nathan.

He's a delightful well-meaning gently caress-up.

I can see why this would raise our willpower.

Onwards!

We get a quick summary of our life so far.

And get ready for the future.

As with any chapter, we get a nice timeline of the important stuff that's happened.

These are our final adolescence Stats. I gotta be honest, it's not great.

With two deaths, the highest I've seen was 6 Nobility, 6 Ingenuity, 9 Spirituality, and 5 Willpower left over (with 3 Determination and 6 Perception from Childhood).

An important note: we won't be replaying the entirety of Childhood and Adolescence chapters in future playthroughs. That would take too long and honestly, it's not that varied compared to the rest of the game. I'm still working out the details, but we'll essentially vote on the major events (like the Blood Tide) and which stats to focus on, and I'll just show the major differences.

Speaking of deaths, we could've died up to three times so far:

1. Punching Gregor when he threw our soldiers into the fire (+1 Determination, +1 Perception, -1 Gregor opinion)
2. Jumping in front of the horses to save Sophia (+1 Nobility, +1 Ingenuity, +1 Spirituality, -5 Willpower +1 Sophia opinion)
3. Letting Gregor burn the house down while we stand and watch (+1 Nobility, +1 Ingenuity, +2 Spirituality, +1 Gregor opinion, -1 Lydia opinion, -1 Wealth)

The first one isn't great, but taking the other ones is often the optimal path, stats-wise. There are times when you can die going forward in the game, and they mostly stop being positive (though sometimes let you "get out" of a sticky situation), but you should be able to finish with no more than one additional death. Exception: there is a path in the Priest Path that requires a shitton of Willpower, and two deaths, so you can't finish it if you died twice before heading to the capital.

Anyway, welcome to chapter 3: Youth.

We get a nice breakdown of our Skills for the rest of the game.

As you can see, Skills start as a combination of our Stats from Childhood and Adolescence. Skills go from 0-20, and as the text notes, most checks are 10+, with difficult choices being 17+. Every stat has a 20 check that really plays in your favour.

Note that all Skills show up in all paths. I call a Skill "major" if it shows up more often than the others in a particular path.

Diplomacy is one of our two major Skills for the Nobleman Path. It covers how well we know Imperial Law, how easily we travel in high society, and how well we can negotiate with the nobility.

This is a really bad score if we want to go for that career.

Valour is the other major Skill for the Nobleman. It's our main "hit dude with sword" stat, and also covers commanding troops.

At least one of the major Skills needs to be 10+ for us to choose that path, so we can join the college and become a nobleman right off the bat.

Theology is one of the major Skills for the Priest Path. It judges how well we can interpret holy texts and construct religious arguments.

We are very bad at this.

Eloquence is our other major Priest Skill. It determines how well we can speak to a crowd, and how inspiring we are in matters of faith.

This is almost tolerable. At the moment, we can't join the seminary and become a priest, because we need to have 10+ in either one of these. Don't worry, we'll bump it up momentarily.

Moving on to the Lotless Path, we have Manipulation. It's the skill that defines how well we can lie and cheat to get what we need out of people.

This isn't great, but workable.

Scheming is our final Skill, and our second major Lotless one. It covers how well we do crime: murder, sabotage, inciting riots, all that fun stuff.

This is a pretty solid start, and basically the only thing we're actually good at.

Unlike the other two paths, becoming Lotless doesn't require us to pass any specific Skill checks, since it also acts as a fallback plan.

As with the other chapters, we have new destiny events. Note that now we have to start planning for outcomes at the beginning of each chapter. The checks become stricter as the game goes on, and some outcomes have very little room for error. On the bright side, what I consider to be the "good ending" is pretty forgiving, and overall quite reacheable. The game itself does not consider it a good ending because of all the reformism it loves.

Also note that there are several (at least two, often more) sub-paths in each of the three major paths.

Our first outcome is remaining a commoner. We don't go to college, we don't go to seminary, and instead deal with [redacted]. There are no Skill requirements here, we just have to make the choice when it comes up.

The second outcome is joining the seminary and becoming a priest. For this, we need to have 10+ in either Theology or Eloquence.

The third outcome is our Father's wish: joining the college and becoming a noble. We need to have 10+ in Diplomacy or Valour here.

The final option for the chapter end is just straight up dying. This requires us to either die 4 times in total (which I don't think is even possible with our 0 deaths so far), or finding a way to get officially executed.

Moving on to personal events. Aylis comes up in two of the paths, and we can find a way to stop her from dying in both.

These two options are mutually exclusive, and depend on how we influence the fate of the Lotless, a secret society that comes up in the Lotless Path.

More swears! At one point in this chapter, we will be given an option to swear an oath eternal friendship to Tommas. For this to work we need to either be a noble, or just be on really good terms with him.

These two are the mutually exclusive options for which side of the schism we fall on in the Priest Path. It just needs a decision when it comes up.

Our final possible event is taking first place in the Imperial College Tournament, a dueling competition set up by the university. We need to be a noble, have decent fighting skills, be trained by Father back in our childhood, and make the appropriate choice.

That's it for the destiny events.

Note that the province screen has changed: with the murder of Patriarch Fotis, he's been replaced with Patriarch Cassius.

And this is where we are now, in the center of the Empire - Eterna. Our hometown of Anizotte is in the south.

Onwards!

Tommas rides with us, since he's trying to become a junior officer.

We're pretty excited for this whole thing.

Eterna is much bigger than Anizotte is.

And much more ornate.

The streets are full of people at every hour of the day.

We say goodbye to Tommas and go for a walk.

Freshmen, freshmen never change.

Our first night in the capital.

We decide to check out what rich assholes have to say about themselves.

Time to hear what the haute bourgeoisie thinks about itself.

About what could be expected. These fucks aren't fighting for the rights of the commoners, they're fighting for the rights of rich assholes.

Of course, should any actual fighting happen, you can be sure they wouldn't be anywhere near it.

But at least we have learned that there are a ton of people questioning the Lots.

Also I don't think Gloria would feel too much empathy for the plight of the poor, trod-upon factory owners.

Note that we now have enough Eloquence to qualify for the seminary. All three major paths are open to us.

Welcome to Eterna!

A few days later, we study a little more schismatic theology.

Oh hey, they do icons, I missed this part the first time around. More Eastern Orthodox influences.

This is Patriarch Luke, the current standard-bearer for the New Faith.

Things have moved forward in the schism since we've seen Fotis get got.

The movement now has politically important backers.

Thread, meet Father Ulrich. Pay attention to how he speaks about the Twins, and which aspects of them he chooses to highlight.

The Inquisition is here.

Also note how different some of the inquisitors are.

Haag is much softer than Ulrich is.

However, he hadn't considered an important point.

Who the hell is he to order us around?

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

We pick up a Diplomacy point.

This is not the first, nor the last sermon Patriarch Luke gives. People are digging this whole "no Lots" thing.

The New Faith grows.

As does disorder.

We continue studying for our entrance exams, but we can't just do that all the time!

Time to check out what's happening around town.

Let's ask our freshman buddies.

These all sound like solid, perfectly legal choices.

--

How do we spend the night?

A. Technically we're not allowed to use a sword yet, but when has that ever stopped us? Check out the dueling club.

B. Imperial secrets? Invitation-only meetings? Sounds right up our alley. Go to the salon.

C. Abandoning Lots and indulging in hedonism? We should at least take a look. See what the society is all about.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
Also start thinking about which major path we're going to go down: noble, priest, or lotless. We're not voting on it yet, but it is coming up.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Secret society. That seems like something we are good at after all!

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Dueling club

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

C

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
it's time to d-d-d-d-d-d-duel

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So our primary skills are Stabbing (honorable) and Stabbing (underhanded)?

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

The Lone Badger posted:

So our primary skills are Stabbing (honorable) and Stabbing (underhanded)?

I prefer Stabbing (in the front) and Stabbing (in the back).

MarmaladeSkies
Jun 16, 2022
Let’s go watch some stabs!

MarmaladeSkies
Jun 16, 2022
Also, let’s get our eloquence up and go for the priest route.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I wanna see the swords go swoosh, duel

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It tickles my fancy that the goon-led character ends up the most proficient in the stabbing related skills.... and that's it.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

We don't need Valor or Scheming, so C I guess.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The Markian Society sounds cool. C.

Frozenzen
Mar 26, 2016
We're pretty well prepared for a path of secret meetings and stabbing.

Go for B and get ready to meet our future comrade! Probably.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Dueling Club!

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
B gets my vote.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Swords!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

A, i want to win a stabbing tournament

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I like swords.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly the lesser death for punching Gregor seems to be mostly stat equivalent to saving Sophia, since either would result in a global +1 to the adulthood stats. But since the Gregor one has stat gaining alternatives rather than Sophia’s nothing, I’m guessing saving Sophia still comes up ahead.

Also, the loving idea that Gregor literally kills you for standing up to him is just this messy nonsense, not to mention he’s responsible for 2 of the 3. Rot in hell you miserable old bastard.

Crymetimeboys
Aug 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Keldulas posted:

Honestly the lesser death for punching Gregor seems to be mostly stat equivalent to saving Sophia, since either would result in a global +1 to the adulthood stats. But since the Gregor one has stat gaining alternatives rather than Sophia’s nothing, I’m guessing saving Sophia still comes up ahead.

Also, the loving idea that Gregor literally kills you for standing up to him is just this messy nonsense, not to mention he’s responsible for 2 of the 3. Rot in hell you miserable old bastard.

His ghost appearance at the blood ceremony shows that he's gone to their world's equivalent of heaven, though. :(

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
Secret Salon, if we're going to have a revolution we need to get to know what we're dealing with!

For better or worse, I think we should go down the Lotless path. If there are going to be multiple runs then we can go down the other two routes when we are more prepared. Right now, let's keep to our current path of winging it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Dueling and noble path

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
We kissed the sword, might as well watch some people who aren't our dad use swords.

Duels

e: We're probably more suited to Lotless statwise, but Noble seems to make (just a little) more sense roleplay-wise

RedSnapper fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 9, 2022

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Oh right, we're supposed to vote for general path as well. Noble.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
as far as I know all the paths are goddamn rad

my first run was as a churcher and felt almost entirely organic

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

oops, forgot to vote path.

Noble seems most in character for this version of Georg, mostly to spite our grandfather and half brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
lotless