Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I don't think I've ever seen the thread that unified on something other than Thermoworks thermometers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I don't like the rack layout of our Bosch, but it's quiet, and it gets the dishes clean.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Bosch

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I'm getting massive, exciting quantities of condensation inside my fridge. like, a quarter-inch per day.

already replaced the door gasket but I think the seal at the bottom is garbage where the plastic has somehow gotten beaten to hell by years of the door closing.

it's a 17-year-old Frigidaire and I've been Ship-of-Theseusing the various shelves as they obsolesce but it still cools and freezes just fine.

fake edit: I don't think a jet of water will help this time. just the opposite, even.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I have a Thermador dishwasher and it’s great, but that’s basically Bosch.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I don't like the rack layout of our Bosch, but it's quiet, and it gets the dishes clean.

That was the one thing besides the price that steered me away from Bosch. I like the top rack silverware function but the bottom rack didn’t seem to allow for many plates/etc.

We ended up with a Samsung which we love, but we’ll see how long it lasts and what parts availability/tech support ends up looking like down the road. Definitely not optimistic but at least the racks on this thing are useful and it has the top silverware rack as well.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just don’t get an Electrolux. I got one when it was the quietest on the market. But the reason it was quiet was that it didn’t make noise by cleaning. And frequently broke. Replaced it with a Bosch and had no regrets.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Not sure if this is the right thread but I am looking for an inexpensive undercounter fridge. No need for freezer, we're likely going to get a chest freezer down the line but keep using our current fridge's freezer until then. Basically our kitchen is a stupid shape/size and there's literally no good way to keep a traditional range away from our fridge. Looking to do a bit of a remodel and switch our one bank of cabinets to an under counter with a range top next to a 48" workstation sink. The storage and a standalone oven would go on the wall that the fridge and range currently live. Pardon the unnecessary details but that's the plan. Looking for recommendations on a 36-48" undercounter fridge, professional kitchen style is ok.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

What state are you in? You're likely nearby a warehouse with a couple Atosa two door UC units that will work well for your situation. If you're in the upper midwest I could sell exactly what you're looking for, new or used

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

captkirk posted:

My parent's dishwasher is on its last leg so I figured I'd get a new dish washer and give them the two year old one that came with my house when I bought it as a way to get them a newer dishwasher without it being such an obvious gift.

What should I look for in a dishwasher?

I really like our Fisher & Paykel dish drawer style dishwasher.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Does anyone make a synthetic basting/pastry brush that works as well as a natural brush? I'm thinking specifically for applying things like melted butter/washes/whatever to baked goods. Basically I want one I can chuck in the dishwasher and not worry about it coming apart/shedding/whatever.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

No!

I have always been curious about getting a men's shaving brush for super butter applying.

/e I will say the silicone ones are good for applying lye washes and the like. Don't use a real one, real or fake.

Whatever happened to those old popular oil sprayers?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Silicone brushes just don’t have enough bristles to compare with a good synthetic/camel hair/whatever it is they use for real brushes. But I use silicone anyway these days because they’re easier to clean and never leave bristles on my food.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

baster + silicone pastry brush. so you dont drip everywhere. very easy and fast for multiple applications

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Does anyone make a synthetic basting/pastry brush that works as well as a natural brush? I'm thinking specifically for applying things like melted butter/washes/whatever to baked goods. Basically I want one I can chuck in the dishwasher and not worry about it coming apart/shedding/whatever.

The closest is the Oxo one, the weird holes in the flaps hold onto more sauce longer than other silicones

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

hello thread. I'm sure this question has been asked a million billion times already so please direct me to the appropriate post or thread, but I'm looking for a good rice cooker.

specifically, I want one that doesn't cause the bottom layer of rice to become crusted, in the way that cheap ones tend to do. but I also want one that is pfa-free. I don't know if such power is possible in this mortal realm but that's why I'm here. (if it makes a difference, I expect to be cooking basmati and uruchimai)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Stainless steel bowls? I use an instant pot

A little bit sticks to the bottom but not crispy and leaving it in the sink with a cm of water is enough to make it come off

The most important thing with cooking rice in an instant pot is to let it sit for 10 minutes after it’s done cooking, if you pull it right out it will be undercooked

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

A little bit sticks to the bottom but not crispy and leaving it in the sink with a cm of water is enough to make it come off

yeah this is what I'm trying to avoid. I have a cheap stainless steel one, I thought maybe a more expensive one would be higher quality in some way to avoid sticking to the bottom

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

https://www.zojirushi.com/app/category/rice-cookers

I have the NS-TSC10/18 which makes good rice but doesn't keep the rice ready to eat for days like other reported zojirushi experiences.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 9, 2022

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do any of the zojis have stainless inner pots? Mine is nonstick.

mystes
May 31, 2006

kalel posted:

yeah this is what I'm trying to avoid. I have a cheap stainless steel one, I thought maybe a more expensive one would be higher quality in some way to avoid sticking to the bottom
Most have nonstick coatings. If you don't want that I'm not sure how you can avoid a crust at the bottom.

I think before nonstick rice cookers people just used to eat the crust.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

mystes posted:

I think before nonstick rice cookers people just used to eat the crust.

my parents and gps love pegao :barf:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Do any of the zojis have stainless inner pots? Mine is nonstick.

No.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

kalel posted:

my parents and gps love pegao :barf:

It’s the best kind :colbert:

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I think Buffalo makes stainless steel inner pot rice cookers, but I have no clue how good they are
I just kind of accept that the rice cooker is the one teflon item I own and treat it like an endangered animal
I tried instant pot rice and had a lot of sticking problems

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's baffling to me how many people in this thread struggle with instant pot rice

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Just git gud at stove top and never suffer again. Same amount of prep time. Less if you dont wash it!!!! :madmax:

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I am looking for a new rice cooker because my 8yo one is dying. For affordable things I am looking at this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0752VWV6...09%7CB0752VWV65

It has a thingy on the side to catch the bubbled up starch where my old one after a bit I would have to watch and wipe the starch the bubbled on to the top and wipe it off while it was cooking.

Anyone know if it is decent or something better in the same price range?

E: basically looking for set it and forget it while I make other things.

E2:

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's baffling to me how many people in this thread struggle with instant pot rice

I don't know what that is but In a regular port on the stove I always burn my rice because me attention goes to somewhere else. - So I like having a rice cooker.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 10, 2022

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A lot of us have had good experiences with the Aroma brand of rice cooker. For an inexpensive one, these are great.

Aroma Housewares 20 Cup Cooked (10 cup uncooked) Digital Rice Cooker, Slow Cooker, Food Steamer, SS Exterior (ARC-150SB),Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055FSN0Y/

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I was looking at it but I have been worried about how large it might be for 20 cup. We have a very small kitchen and very few guests. So most of the time I am cooking for 2 people (me and my spouse) and sometimes maybe 1 guest.

E: If goons like the brand, how about this one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007WQ9YN...09%7CB007WQ9YNO

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 10, 2022

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Those are probably rice cups which are iirc 180ml or about 3/4 of a cup.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

I just don't want the rice to stick but without pfas! is that too much to ask

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nunsexmonkrock posted:

E: If goons like the brand, how about this one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007WQ9YN...09%7CB007WQ9YNO

That should work for you

mystes
May 31, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Those are probably rice cups which are iirc 180ml or about 3/4 of a cup.
that's still a lot of rice

I just have the cheap black and decker 6 cup rice cooker and it works fine but it doesn't have a timer (I have it plugged into a smart outlet thing but easier to just get a rice cooker with a timer if you think you might want that)

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That should work for you

Thank you, that is what I will get then! I appreciate it!

EditL I use to have something similar to this by Oster, I don't think I could find the same exact one because how old mine was - but I never really liked it.: https://www.amazon.com/Oster-6-Cup-Cooker-Steam-CKSTRCMS65/dp/B007JNNN5U/ref=psdc_678540011_t1_B001KBY9M8

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 10, 2022

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Thank you, that is what I will get then! I appreciate it!

EditL I use to have something similar to this by Oster, I don't think I could find the same exact one because how old mine was - but I never really liked it.: https://www.amazon.com/Oster-6-Cup-Cooker-Steam-CKSTRCMS65/dp/B007JNNN5U/ref=psdc_678540011_t1_B001KBY9M8

Do you wash your rice? You mentioned the starch bubbling up and I’ve never had the problem. Not sure if that would affect it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

kalel posted:

I just don't want the rice to stick but without pfas! is that too much to ask

Yes.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Has anyone had good results with ceramic nonstick? I want a 10" or 8" just to do eggs/omelets in. My dad stayed with me for a while and he had one that worked really well.

mystes
May 31, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

Has anyone had good results with ceramic nonstick? I want a 10" or 8" just to do eggs/omelets in. My dad stayed with me for a while and he had one that worked really well.
I think it's not quite as nonstick as teflon and not any more durable, but the manufacturing is probably not as bad for the environment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

pseudanonymous posted:

I got one while my wife was pregnant and wanted Teflon exorcised from the house. That particular one was fine at first but didn't hold up that long. I just got rid of it after about 3 years because scrambled eggs were starting to stick across 2/3 or so of the surface.

I replaced it with a Teflon pan but I am also going to give carbon steel another go.