Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

shrike82 posted:

i've finally found a use case for the USB hubs that come default with most monitors these days - plugging my bluetooth and 2.4 adapters into the monitor hub seems to extend the range versus having them plugged into a mini PC

USB 3.x ports interfere with the 2.4 GHz band, which is why even a short USB 2.0 extension will increase range a great deal. Your monitor ports are either shielded better, or they're working in USB 2.0 mode (which seems most likely if you're connected in DP alt mode, for example)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I really want a QD-OLED to be excited about. My wallet is ready.

Samsung's G8 is almost the EXACT OPPOSITE of what I want in every way. The physical specs aren't what I want, but I will jab a fork up my dick before I buy a monitor with IoT/'Smart TV' ''''''features'''''. The whole reason I don't own a TV is because modern TVs loving suck so bad with all their trash software (and all the cancer that comes with it). Introducing that plague to a monitor is a great way to never, ever get a sale from me. The absolutely pants-on-head idiocy that is the Mini-DP and MicroHDMI is just icing on the cake of stupid. This is the least exciting piece of new hardware I've seen in a very long time.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 7, 2022

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Where's the 38 inch, 3840x1600 QD-OLED monitor of my dreams, LG :colbert:

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

turn on your mon- lol nvm.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Criss-cross posted:

USB 3.x ports interfere with the 2.4 GHz band, which is why even a short USB 2.0 extension will increase range a great deal. Your monitor ports are either shielded better, or they're working in USB 2.0 mode (which seems most likely if you're connected in DP alt mode, for example)
It's not just about the ports, it's about the activity. Simply plugging in a 2.4G dongle to a USB 3 capable port will work the same as any other port, but using a USB3 device on an adjacent port has a good chance to impact performance.

I also find my monitor's USB ports to be a great place to stash my various dongles. I'll occasionally plug in a SD card reader or thumb drive which probably interferes in some way but the Venn diagram of those times and times where I care about wireless device performance is two non-overlapping circles so I honestly have no idea how badly it affects anything.

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009
For home office work/web browsing/light photo editing/some sports sims (fm, ootp) but not too much gaming that requires high frame rates, what is the sweet spot on a main monitor ideally sub 500 try sub 700?

If we're talking Gigabyte, for example, M34WQ so 1440 UWQHD or M32U for 4k but not wide screen? Is there a consensus for 4k for general home office business productivity vs screen real estate?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I'm receiving the Aorus FI32U tomorrow which is the same panel as the M32U. Taking a slight chance at it via Amazon warehouse, generally have had 0 issues in the past and as long as the screen is good i'll be happy. It'll be backed by Amazons return policy in worst case.

From reviews its a solid 32" 4k 144hz gaming monitor, contrast and blacks aren't great but those are typical IPS things.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
A little update, but I got the Gigabyte G27Q. It rules and is perfect for my needs. Thanks everyone!

One thing though, the OSD program seems to need a USB connection to run, and I briefly tried it but couldn't really get to make it work (plugged the USB in and all). I wonder why?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

is there any performance hit with running a 2nd portable monitor via USB-C (presumably alt-display)?
i just remembered i had a 16" Asus portable monitor and have hooked it up on top of my QD-OLED main

it's been sitting in storage since i used to use 2x27" but this seems to be a good secondary monitor now that i'm on a single 34"

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Secondary display is going to use a bit of VRAM, but performance impact should be negligible.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
My Amazon "Acceptable" condition Aorus FI32U came in, personally always had a solid experience with ordering with Amazon warehouse, usually the discounts are quite significant, only real downside of the "Acceptable" condition items is that they usually don't have the original box, all the cables and hardware were intact, no issues with the screen, games are looking good. First 4k monitor for me and it'll sort of justify me trying to get a 4000 series card. It was about 550$ after tax which isn't cheap but for a 32'' 4k 144hz IPS display it's pretty solid.

Games looked very pretty and crisp, any ugliness is just my phone camera.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Do you get the full warranty with Warehouse? My monitor got a line of dead pixels a year after purchase.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

No dead pixels or anything on it?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

infraboy posted:

My Amazon "Acceptable" condition Aorus FI32U came in, personally always had a solid experience with ordering with Amazon warehouse, usually the discounts are quite significant, only real downside of the "Acceptable" condition items is that they usually don't have the original box, all the cables and hardware were intact, no issues with the screen, games are looking good. First 4k monitor for me and it'll sort of justify me trying to get a 4000 series card. It was about 550$ after tax which isn't cheap but for a 32'' 4k 144hz IPS display it's pretty solid.

Games looked very pretty and crisp, any ugliness is just my phone camera.

I wish DOS2 had better HDR implementation, I tried it out and didn't notice a difference over SDR

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I bought a television to use it as a monitor. 42" LG C2 was 770€ delivered to home with 3 year warranty, in Finland. Price was 1070€ with 300€ cashback so some effort is required.

A 42" gaming OLED tv with gsync, 120hz instant response time, the best black levels etc. for 770€? I had to try it out.

Had to buy a 400x200mm adapter plate to use the tv with my monitor arm. Tv is only 9kg so using an arm shouldn't cause problems.

My 77" C1 hasn't been connected to the internet. If necessary, I can use that Windows software to adjust settings via LAN, but I can block the TV from internet with my firewall.

Maybe some day someone will release an affordable 4K gaming OLED monitor. I have no idea when that day will be, and I'm getting frustrated to my VA panel's black smearing. I can probably sell the VA monitor for 200€ so total upgrade price won't be that big.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 11, 2022

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Has anyone tried any of those 2-300+hz monitors? Previously my games were running at 100+ fps but inconsistent, and now with a new GPU its steady at the max 144. Its actually improved my game, its very noticeable having the consistent rate. I didn't think there was much to be gained by going north of 144 but now I'm curious on what 200+ is like, though is that only available on 1080 monitors at this point?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
There are some QHD 240 models out and more on the way. FHD 360 is also a thing nowadays. I'm still on the classic 27" QHD 165 so wouldn't know how it affects gameplay but I assume it's better, even if only marginally.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

We have 270Hz 1440p monitors and a 240Hz 4K monitor (Odyssey Neo G8). I think a 360Hz 1440p monitor has been announced (it was announced at CES but it's still MIA)

I've used a 270Hz 1440p (XB273U GX), my two main takeaways from that are 1) it's still really hard to drive frame rates that high at 1440p, even with a 3080 Ti, and 2) there really was not much if any benefit from going beyond 200 Hz in my opinion. Perhaps it was due to response times not keeping up with the refresh rate, but going from 180Hz to 270Hz did not feel like a 50% improvement to smoothness, clarity, and latency, for example. The difference was very minor.

Unless you're a big competitive FPS player, I think you're generally better off getting a more affordable 144 - 180Hz monitor.

edit: Apparently the 300Hz XB273U KF is available directly from Acer in the UK. (ignore the promotional spiel under the summary, it's not accurate for some reason.) I don't see it anywhere else.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 11, 2022

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

codo27 posted:

Has anyone tried any of those 2-300+hz monitors? Previously my games were running at 100+ fps but inconsistent, and now with a new GPU its steady at the max 144. Its actually improved my game, its very noticeable having the consistent rate. I didn't think there was much to be gained by going north of 144 but now I'm curious on what 200+ is like, though is that only available on 1080 monitors at this point?

Cap your framerate to 140 and you will do noticeably even better. With vsync on and frames coming faster than your monitor can display them, you are getting increased latency.

Higher framerates & refresh rates will improve your performance, even with the handicap of LCD response times often not being able to keep up past 200hz. Is it worth the price premium? I agree that for most people in most cases chasing past the current crop of reasonably high performance ~165-180hz monitors is very steep diminishing returns. If you're playing for money, yeah go buy a 1080p 360hz monitor. If not, don't waste your money. Wait for a more significant improvement like more mainstream QD-OLEDs or something.

My next monitor will almost certainly be 4k 240hz, but the desire for 240hz is mostly for older games that can actually be pushed that hard without much effort and because I am very picky about framerate.

If you want to improve your performance more, I'd suggest looking at things like mouse optimization. For example, there are significant gains to be had on most modern mice by running 3200 DPI vs the 800 DPI that most gamers will tell you to use. There are gains to be had by going to something Razer's 4khz polling rate wireless. Things like that are probably going to give you more performance for your money than chasing the limits of LCD performance.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 11, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Personally I prefer more detailed graphics than chasing frames per second, and comfortably averaging 100 fps or better is fine for me. Hell, for the most part I'd say consistent 75 fps or better is fine.

When I jumped back into Cyberpunk 2077 this week to test out my new CPU and slammed the graphics to ultra-everything the frames were coming back good but moving my view around made things look kind of hosed up, and I realized it had defaulted to high motion blur. Turned that off and everything looked great again.

I've gotten into the habit of not playing with an fps counter on my screen because in the past I started to obsess over my framerate, and now I mostly just check it for benchmarking or to see what the fps are doing if I am seeing a problem of some kind.

I capped my framerate at 120 fps in Far Cry 6 and it feels good, aside from the occasional stutters which I assume is the Dunia engine doing something stupid. Maybe I'm a Luddite or have bad eyes, but AFAICT going over 100 fps doesn't do much for me.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
How far back do you sit from a 42” monitor? Seems like you’d need to sit very far away.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Two and a half to three feet would probably be about right. Two feet might be doable, but it seems like it'd be too big and require too much head/neck movement. You need a pretty deep desk.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
My triple monitor setup equals 45" monitor and I sit 25" away. The size of the display doesn't determine how far away it should be, the DPI does. And your own vision, I remember one old professor at work who used a 50" 1080p TV as a monitor.

42" 4K has a DPI of 98, not much less than the 109 DPI of 27" 1440p. A practical difference is you can't run windows maximized on such a large monitor.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Saukkis posted:

My triple monitor setup equals 45" monitor and I sit 25" away. The size of the display doesn't determine how far away it should be, the DPI does. And your own vision, I remember one old professor at work who used a 50" 1080p TV as a monitor.

42" 4K has a DPI of 98, not much less than the 109 DPI of 27" 1440p. A practical difference is you can't run windows maximized on such a large monitor.

A triple monitor setup makes sense to not have in your full field of vision at all times since you move your vision between them less often than between items on the same display. But you tend to move your vision across a single display much more often, so you will want more of it in the center of your vision. The less you have to move your head, the better it is for you, physically speaking, and the more comfortable you'll be in long sessions. (edit: and ultrawides don't really count either, for the most part.)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 14, 2022

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
If you're looking for a cheap but half decent secondary / office / raspberry pi monitor, I'm actually really impressed with this HP X24ih so far. Everything looks great on the lagom.nl calibration page, 144Hz & VRR support, pretty thin top & side bezels, just the usual kind of lovely IPS contrast is the only real downside.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Boner Wad posted:

How far back do you sit from a 42” monitor? Seems like you’d need to sit very far away.

Dunno. My desk is 90cm deep and I will put it on monitor arm, so I can place it futher away if needed. My vision is like -9 and and the concave negative lenses in my eyeglasses make everything so small. I run a 125% zoom on a 31,5" monitor with 2560x1440 resolution.

You can also do some ultrwide gaming with it, 3840x1600 for example. The LG's are backordered but they (no wonder at that price point) should get more this week.

One friend has a 42" IPS monitor as his work monitor and he says it's great.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 14, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ASRock has entered the gaming monitor market, and because it's ASRock, they have to make it as weird as possible. https://www.techpowerup.com/298890/asrock-announces-the-first-phantom-gaming-monitor-with-integrated-wi-fi-antenna

the monitor doubles as a wifi antenna.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

ASRock has entered the gaming monitor market, and because it's ASRock, they have to make it as weird as possible. https://www.techpowerup.com/298890/asrock-announces-the-first-phantom-gaming-monitor-with-integrated-wi-fi-antenna

the monitor doubles as a wifi antenna.

I... don't hate this idea. It's weird, but I could see that actually working well.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
a TV with an antenna? preposterous

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Truga posted:

a TV with an antenna? preposterous

They are missing an opportunity if the box doesn’t come with two sheets of aluminum foil for the rabbit ear antennas.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Don't laptops generally do the same thing as that monitor? Route the antenna around the display?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Cross-Section posted:

I feel like a significant chunk of people are waiting for 38 inch OLEDs. Hope they are coming some time next year!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

You could buy a 42" and use a UW resolution with it.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Isn't one of the issues with most of the 42 inch models that their resolution is quite low for the size of the screen?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Megasabin posted:

I feel like a significant chunk of people are waiting for 38 inch OLEDs. Hope they are coming some time next year!

I thought the actual reason we haven't gotten them is that it's less cost-effective to cut the glass at those measurements or something. Still can't stop it from being sold as a luxury-tier product, I guess.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Megasabin posted:

Isn't one of the issues with most of the 42 inch models that their resolution is quite low for the size of the screen?

They're generally 4k which is, strictly speaking, enough pixels for desktop use at that size. The PPI is pretty comfortable at normal viewing distances. Now if you got a 1080p panel, that'd be poo poo for desktop use.

I would not recommend buying a 40-43" 16:9 4k monitor in TYOOL 2022, at least based on my experiences.

I used a 43" 4k monitor as my primary for a couple of years, but I had a few problems with it:
1. The Dell P4317q did not have a height-adjustable stand, so the bottom of the image was almost 10cm up from the desk. This meant that at least for me, the top 1/4 was mostly useless space. I could have fixed this by using my VESA stand, but I was lazy. E: The newer Dell has a better stand!
2. It was so big it should have been curved.
3. Moving from 4x27" to 1x43 + 2x27 meant giving up the "bullshit" monitor I used for watching series etc while doing other things. I also had teamspeak/mumble etc up on that monitor which was also generally very handy.

I've since moved to a dual center setup with a curved 38" UW (3840x1600) and a flat 34" UW (3440x1440) on top, this works pretty well.

Setup progress pics for illustrative purposes:

Megasabin posted:

Hell yeah. 38" UW is very underrated.

Wibla fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 16, 2022

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Megasabin posted:

Well they are 4K usually so 3840x2160. 38" UW's are 3840x1600. The 42" screen is only 4cm wider so basically the same size and DPI as a 38" UW.

The LG C2 is only 9kg so you can mount it on most monitor arms.

I mounted even my 77" C1 to a different VESA stand because the included one sucked. I will post a trip report next week, they finally got my 42" C2 moving from the warehouse.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I was idly browsing monitors last night and saw a 32" 1080p monitor and could only react with "Why?"

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I was idly browsing monitors last night and saw a 32" 1080p monitor and could only react with "Why?"

I play on a 32” 1080p monitor all the time.

Unless the “browsing” means looking at brand new just-built monitors with those specs in 2022…at least my monitor (a TV, tbh) has the excuse of being a decade old and is getting replaced around or right after Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

DerekSmartymans posted:

I play on a 32” 1080p monitor all the time.

Unless the “browsing” means looking at brand new just-built monitors with those specs in 2022…at least my monitor (a TV, tbh) has the excuse of being a decade old and is getting replaced around or right after Christmas.

Yeah, this was new - on NewEgg, I think. And it was a monitor, not a TV. It was weird.