Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Kanos posted:

It's okay? It's got a great cheap heal, hand of glory is one of the few buff spells I actually like, and phoenix is okay.

It's absolutely on the lowest rung of "lores I actually want to hire mages for", but if you're given a high mage it's not unusable.

My off-the-cuff magic lore ranking for RoC/IE campaigns I've played right now is currently something like:

1. Vampires
2. Shadow
3. Nurgle
4. Tzeentch/Fire/Ruin
5. Plague
6. Heavens/Metal/Death/Yin/Yang
7. Life/Tempest/Deep
8. Light/Ice/High
9. Slaanesh/Stealth
10. Beasts
11. Nehekhara

I haven't played greenskins or beastmen in TWW3, but based on TWW2 performance Big Waaagh would probably be around 5, Little Waaagh would probably be around 7 or 8, and Wild would probably be around 6. I've literally never done an ogre campaign so I have no experience with Great Maw.

Some of these ranks are also influenced by lore access, i.e. I think some of them are better in a vacuum but get hurt by their faction having access to better ones as an opportunity cost. Some are better within the context of specific factions, like Heavens is imo better than life now for lizards but Bretonnia has no other healing sources and really needs to be able to heal cav so life is better for them.

I feel like Nehekhara always gets a bad rap because it's Best Thing is the mapwide heal on cast. That's pretty good, it's just hard to feel the impact from it.

I'd also definitely put Yin a step over Yang for the ancestral summon alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I haven't played Slaanesh yet but I assume the Keepers all just play Frank N Furter voice lines from Rocky Horror? Seems natural to me.

Speaking of Eshin, I've done the Warcrimes thing with Ikit and am curious how the ninja rat faction plays. I never really bothered with gutter runners when there's ratling guns and flamethrowers right there.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

someone described an eshin field battle as a swirling vortex of skirmishing runners with sniktch in the center owning the enemy lord and it intrigued me

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
annoyed I can't lower the voice volume below 40%. I like to rick click a lot and the lord's voice gets old

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
While buff/debuff spells are considered poor for the cost compared to just nuking a blob, I feel like they still have a time and place that you can't measure in gold value per WoM, SEM's.

Your lord or SEM being able to beat up someone like Skarsbrand because he can't land a single hit and dying and causing mapwide leadership debuffs can't be understated I feel.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Well, that's a shame. I got the Beastmen final battle, and despite them having 0 troops left (after gutting their lords and both reinforcement waves) it's just...not ending.

e:

??????

Chernobyl Peace Prize fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 9, 2022

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

orangelex44 posted:

I feel like Nehekhara always gets a bad rap because it's Best Thing is the mapwide heal on cast. That's pretty good, it's just hard to feel the impact from it.

I'd also definitely put Yin a step over Yang for the ancestral summon alone.

that heal on cast stacks up over the course of a long battle even if you don't FEEL it because its not the meatiest thing out there, the spells are not terrible either, you just need to make sure to apply them properly

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Kanos posted:

It's okay? It's got a great cheap heal, hand of glory is one of the few buff spells I actually like, and phoenix is okay.

It's absolutely on the lowest rung of "lores I actually want to hire mages for", but if you're given a high mage it's not unusable.

My off-the-cuff magic lore ranking for RoC/IE campaigns I've played right now is currently something like:

1. Vampires
2. Shadow
3. Nurgle
4. Tzeentch/Fire/Ruin
5. Plague
6. Heavens/Metal/Death/Yin/Yang
7. Life/Tempest/Deep
8. Light/Ice/High
9. Slaanesh/Stealth
10. Beasts
11. Nehekhara

Ruin above Plague? Plague is amazing for weapons team stacks to summon meat shields, and also has a stationary vortex. The vortex is particularly amazing for sieges. While Warp Lightning is good, and Howling Warp Gale is great situationally, I'd certainly prefer plague. Crack's Call is really expensive IIRC, even though it does do good damage.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
stationary but slow af to cast

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

stationary but slow af to cast

You just wait until the enemy is blobbed up, who cares if your chaff dies if many more of the enemy do?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i can deffo get cav charging at me with lots of spells, but i cant do it with the 5 second vortex things, thats too much lead time. in addition plague has a bit of an animation lead time

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Playing Katarin and as my first game in IM standing next to the Empire, man they are they getting their rear end kicked. The vampires are getting their rear end kicked, Festus is getting his rear end kicked. Lady Tree-Hitler is just running a train down there. Hot Toddy is gone, Karl has two settlements and one isn't even Altdorf. Marinburg and Nordland are... completely fine actually?

Anyway it's concerning.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You need to capture Altdorf and give it to Franz, then. In the Lore the Empire has saved Kislev before.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

jokes posted:

You need to capture Altdorf and give it to Franz, then. In the Lore the Empire has saved Kislev before.

I'll get around to it when I finish running off Throgg, dudes the rank 1 and he kinda just declared. Sorry Karl, you confederated Stirland I'm sure it'll be fine.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I just found out Volkmar can get Spawn of Tzeentch! Without allying anyone, I mean. The Changer of Ways is truly beyond my understanding.

(I recruited an Arch Lector, grabbed Elector Count spearmen and swordsmen and started recruiting two archers, the Knights of Origo besieged me, and at the start of my turn I had three units of spawn in the army. I have no idea why.)

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Vashro posted:

annoyed I can't lower the voice volume below 40%. I like to rick click a lot and the lord's voice gets old

It's endlessly weird to me that changing the "voice" volume in settings does nothing to the main voices you hear, which are unit barks.

Between that and having to reset camera preferences every campaign, i might FINALLY be looking at getting a few mods.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Twigand Berries posted:

someone described an eshin field battle as a swirling vortex of skirmishing runners with sniktch in the center owning the enemy lord and it intrigued me

Imagine an entire army of stealthy ninja rats who are actually behind you and also shooting you and also nothing personal kid but Sniktch has already stabbed you and also all the control points in this settlement have already been capped.

Eshin sorcerers are pretty underwhelming, but a whole stealth army is a different level of bullshit. It breaks sieges, in particular. Plant a visible unit outside one gate and then the rest of your very hidden army can just kinda waltz in the back door before the AI knows what is going on.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Muscle Tracer posted:

It's endlessly weird to me that changing the "voice" volume in settings does nothing to the main voices you hear, which are unit barks.

Between that and having to reset camera preferences every campaign, i might FINALLY be looking at getting a few mods.

now that you mention it, it doesn't even lower it to 40%.
I just want to hear sound effects but not unit voices

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Sounds insanely fun with the new settlement battles. Definitely marking that down for later. As for now...

When it's Turn 23 and you're Level 24. Even after they fix Dwarf bugs this is a true VH Hell start.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Muscle Tracer posted:

I found this solution
Open Warhammer3\scripts\preferences.script.txt
Find sound_vo_volume
Change the number next to it to 0

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Sounds like we have about a month before the next patch and all the mods I want are updated, so I’m going to see how much of the world I can conquer before then in one campaign. The Great Plan has been deciphered, and has decreed that only cold-bloods are worthy of life. High Elves have been given an exception because it has been decided that a high elf : dragons :: a skink : lizardmen. I don’t ask why, that’s just what the frog guys said.

So now to decide which faction to start with, Kroq-Gar or Gor-rok. Probably KG so I can try to keep Teclis alive.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

While buff/debuff spells are considered poor for the cost compared to just nuking a blob, I feel like they still have a time and place that you can't measure in gold value per WoM, SEM's.

Your lord or SEM being able to beat up someone like Skarsbrand because he can't land a single hit and dying and causing mapwide leadership debuffs can't be understated I feel.

This is true and a consideration, but in practice frequently I find the actual major combat SEM outliers that you'd want to debuff heavily like Skarbrand(and other bloodthirsters) are just so jacked that one or two debuffs isn't enough to make them a safe fight even most combat lords. Throwing up Enfeebling Foe and Flaming Sword isn't going to let, say, a generic chaos lord not get his poo poo hosed up by Skarbrand even if he can theoretically win, and if those buffs drop off during a moment of lapsed concentration things can go south fast. Most of the time I find it's more effective to kite or tarpit the big scary SEM and focus on using your winds to kill or rout off the rest of the enemy army as fast as possible - and nothing in the entire game kills or routs off the enemy army as fast as well placed nuke spells - which will then either rout off the enemy SEM via army losses and remove the problem or free up your other units to focus on said SEM because they're not having to deal with an army of angry bloodletters trying to kill them.

There's some exceptions to this, like how N'Kari loses to Skarbrand in a fair fight but can debuff Skarbrand to the point where he wins the 1v1 handily(though ironically most of N'Kari's debuffing comes from abilities rather than spells).

Staltran posted:

Ruin above Plague? Plague is amazing for weapons team stacks to summon meat shields, and also has a stationary vortex. The vortex is particularly amazing for sieges. While Warp Lightning is good, and Howling Warp Gale is great situationally, I'd certainly prefer plague. Crack's Call is really expensive IIRC, even though it does do good damage.

Warp Lightning is hosed up as hell and puts the lore at an extremely high tier for me. It's one of the only spells that you can really just spam from multiple casters and get a ton of work done, and it lets you keep up Ruin's really good lore attribute. I'll frequently run cheap rear end bargain bin armies with a seer and an engineer and a ton of slaves/clanrat chaff and get work done because of the casters pulling in tons of kills from spamming WL while the chaff dies for your glory.

Lore of Plague is absolutely good, but I usually get what I want out of my summons(loving up critical charges and tying up enemy artillery/ranged) out of menace below. I'd probably rate it higher if plague casters could get a reasonably fast mount that wasn't a gigantic slow-rear end moving target plague furnace or bell to put the summons in mean places. Plague is a very solid vortex, it's true, but sometimes I find that it can be a little annoying to really blob up enemies long enough for plague to cast and work in field battles due to poo poo skaven leadership. It is definitely a massacre engine in siege chokes.

That said, you'll generally want a plague priest and a warlock engineer in as many armies as you can manage for replenishment and mobility so you'll tend to have both casters around for skaven regardless.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 9, 2022

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Engineers buffing weapon teams is bonkers powerful.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Next patch they're supposedly fixing the AI's build priorities so they should have more money and armies, which should make these starting scenarios even more 'fun'.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

helman ghorst's real backstory:

Anno
May 10, 2017

Francis posted:

Next patch they're supposedly fixing the AI's build priorities so they should have more money and armies, which should make these starting scenarios even more 'fun'.

I know they said there was a bug currently, but through 50 turns of my Khalida campaign at least the AI seems much better at building in 2.1 than 2.0. Not just building up everywhere but in building selection. Too early to know if they go up to T5 okay tho.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kanos posted:

This is true and a consideration, but in practice frequently I find the actual major combat SEM outliers that you'd want to debuff heavily like Skarbrand(and other bloodthirsters) are just so jacked that one or two debuffs isn't enough to make them a safe fight even most combat lords. Throwing up Enfeebling Foe and Flaming Sword isn't going to let, say, a generic chaos lord not get his poo poo hosed up by Skarbrand even if he can theoretically win, and if those buffs drop off during a moment of lapsed concentration things can go south fast.

Plus, you know what does kill those jerks stone dead? Rancid Visitations or Sprit Leech.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the idea of skarbrand going on a boat is so weird to me that me and a friend discussed it and concluded that they probably tie him to a big kite and fly him over the boat so he can flail about without sinking the boat

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the idea of skarbrand going on a boat is so weird to me that me and a friend discussed it and concluded that they probably tie him to a big kite and fly him over the boat so he can flail about without sinking the boat

I'm reminded of the old Dawn of War 1 Khorne Berserker voice lines, where they had a line for getting out of a transport vehicle where they'd go "WE NEED A NEW DRIVER. THIS ONE IS DEAD."

Anno
May 10, 2017

They just want to give him the chance to fly again :unsmith:

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Dramicus posted:

Does anyone have a mod that fixes the colors for the Knights of the Realm. They aren't supposed to be uniform.

I know it's not loreful, but I actually kinda like it. Don't have the game open right now, but they still have individual colors on their shields right?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Skarbrand doesn't even get on the boat, Skarbrand just murders the ocean into two parts before him like demon Moses

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Skarbrand can definitely take some chillout time

That's how we're introduced to him in the game. He's just hanging out in a cave sharpening his axes.

Even a living engine of murder and destruction needs some downtime

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Zzulu posted:

That's how we're introduced to him in the game. He's just hanging out in a cave sharpening his axes.

Thats true, maybe they kill two stonehorns and stick their skulls on a brass bar and Skarbrand pumps weights while the boat sails.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
allow dwarf units with low models to enter and be deployed from troop transport helicopters or at least the small-sized lords and heroes

pizzabutt
Jul 19, 2022

Staltran posted:

I just found out Volkmar can get Spawn of Tzeentch! Without allying anyone, I mean. The Changer of Ways is truly beyond my understanding.

(I recruited an Arch Lector, grabbed Elector Count spearmen and swordsmen and started recruiting two archers, the Knights of Origo besieged me, and at the start of my turn I had three units of spawn in the army. I have no idea why.)

It's Vilitch, he has a changing of the ways faction mechanic that lets him add 3 spawn to any army. The AI really likes using it on anyone besides itself idk why

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Tomb Kings are way more fun now than they were in the couple of times I tried their campaign in WH2. The faster growth rate and lowering the tier ranking of the units means you get to field diverse armies relatively early instead of grinding things out with skellies forever. Also this is the first time I've played Khalida and drat you can really turn her into a beast. Wish she got more than one quest battle tho

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Cleared the four major grudges and my meter has actually stayed cleared for several turns? I guess it is very flavorful that the Dwarves are driven into an unreasonable vengeful rage for 50+ turns if you play at your absolute best and quickest but that seems to be a bit much for anyone... not doing that. If it's not a bug it definitely needs a balance pass, you literally can't address it before the values spike and fill the meter.

Had Thorgrim clear out the Darkland Orcs to gift settlements to Imrik to get Mil Alliance and now his doomstack is helping me clear the Badlands. 50+ turns until Ultimate Crisis but a skin of my teeth stabilization and land holding. drat near impossible to build up infrastructure instead of holding defensive armies that finally reached offensive push out status. Having low sacks and post battle is harsh for a faction that needs to fight for its life and can expect to constantly lose land.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Zzulu posted:

He’s got a lot of nuance for a guy who was already a rage beast before the god of rage supposedly wrung all ego and personality from him. In the 40K Fracturing of Biel-Tan book, the Masque convinces him to help her break into a sealed Webway gate by commiserating over their both being cursed by their gods. She had to dance around his attacks until his broken mind stopped registering her as a thing to kill first, but pretty impressive for a follower of the god he should hate the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Caidin posted:

Playing Katarin and as my first game in IM standing next to the Empire, man they are they getting their rear end kicked. The vampires are getting their rear end kicked, Festus is getting his rear end kicked. Lady Tree-Hitler is just running a train down there. Hot Toddy is gone, Karl has two settlements and one isn't even Altdorf. Marinburg and Nordland are... completely fine actually?

Anyway it's concerning.

Last time I played Katarin, it was in the WH3 campaign but Kislev felt so stressful. I did a bunch of starts on normal then went to very hard and man Kislev is just like border patrol vs the world's worst factions. If the VCs start beating out the Empire you have to fortify the south which is another waste of resource but also in the regular campaign the rifts/portals were another issue. Kislev felt like you are putting out fires from the very start. I do like the invocations mechanic it's one of those things that you can use almost every turn unlike certain factions benefits. Warriors of Chaos and Norsca are my least factions to fight vs so maybe that's why I got stressed but its still a fun campaign. You will enjoy it.