Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

The Shortest Path posted:

Commander was definitely popular in a lot of places before The Command Zone started, though they helped grow it. But there was a very healthy community playing it as early as the mid 2000s, complete with loads of pedantic nerds arguing about it on MTGSalvation et. al.

I'm not really sure how or why it spread from Sheldon's playgroup, but my LGS in New Hampshire heard about it through word of mouth and all built decks out of the Shards of Alara legendaries right after the prerelease.

Edit: Found this article from 2007 that says Sheldon had been advocating it at a bunch of pro tours and grand prix. The author says that loads of people had written in talking about it, so it was already fairly popular by then for sure. https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/serious-fun/mixing-it-2007-12-11

Edit2: apparently the command zone didn't start until 2016, long after the game got popular. That feels like such a long time ago because of covid and poo poo but relatively speaking it wasn't much time.

Minor nitpick: looks like it started in 2014, not 2016. But your point still stands that this was after the format was exploding (I checked because I thought I remembered listening to the podcast before 2016).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ah you're right it looks like they started Game Knights in 2016

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

It's interesting looking at old, dead formats, and seeing how much they resemble Commander

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyqoM5Pmu5o

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Being a good creator and being a good steward require different skills.

Sheldon should definitely take some credit for Commander being popular though. Replacing actual format stewardship with passive-aggressive sniping via blog post drives exactly the kind of engagement and content-creation that the modern internet thrives on.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
RIP Type 4. You were too good for this world.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I remember EDH being around since ~2007 at the latest. It wasn't very popular back then but I was aware of it as a thing, and it might even be much older than that; I was under the impression even then that it was a quite old thing that was just then starting to gain widespread popularity. It slowly gained momentum and was getting pretty popular in the late 00s, and then Wizards made it official with the '11 commander decks and that's when it really exploded. Menery may have gotten the word out at the beginning, but idk if you can give him or any other content creator too much credit; it just spread pretty quick by word-of-mouth. If I would credit anyone I'd say that wizards.com articles about it probably helped more than anything else, as those articles seemed to be fairly popular back then.

At that time (~2007-8) I was playing a weird format that was popular in my local area. I don't remember what it was called or all the rules, but it was a 100-card singleton format with mandatory 5-color decks, and certain requirements for color inclusion that were complicated and strict (something like: 10 monocolored cards of each color, 1 of each color pair, 1 wubrg; but I remember it being more complicated than that). That eventually died when EDH took over around '09 or so.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm not really sure how or why it spread from Sheldon's playgroup, but my LGS in New Hampshire heard about it through word of mouth and all built decks out of the Shards of Alara legendaries right after the prerelease.

Alara block is where I remember EDH taking off in my local store, but yeah it definitely had to be getting popular before that for all of us to hear about it. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of like star city games content at the time that helped.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
All my friends built our first EDH decks during Time Spiral, that was in Philly in 2006, so it sort of looking like it started in the NE United States and crept out from the frozen wastelands of the Buffalo into the greater mainland over the late 2000’s and early 2010s. I remember listening to every Command Zone podcast and reading every Lab Maniac’s blogpost because they were almost literally the only commander content creators at that time.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 9, 2022

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

DontMockMySmock posted:

At that time (~2007-8) I was playing a weird format that was popular in my local area. I don't remember what it was called or all the rules, but it was a 100-card singleton format with mandatory 5-color decks, and certain requirements for color inclusion that were complicated and strict (something like: 10 monocolored cards of each color, 1 of each color pair, 1 wubrg; but I remember it being more complicated than that). That eventually died when EDH took over around '09 or so.

Rainbow Stairwell! Possibly the weirdest format, but cool as hell.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Silhouette posted:

Rainbow Stairwell! Possibly the weirdest format, but cool as hell.

No, it wasn't that - it's similar, but it was definitely 100-card decks and didn't have the cmc restrictions. I think the format had "california" in the name but I tried googling around a bit and couldn't find it.

edit: scratching the back of my brain is the idea that it maybe had "100-card" in the name too. something like "100-card California highlander" or something like that. I think it was maybe inspired by both EDH and Rainbow Stairwell.

DontMockMySmock fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 9, 2022

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

One downside of EDH is that its popularity has almost entirely eliminated the viability of every other niche casual format. Besides the ones that are more or less spinoffs of EDH of course, like Conquest.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bust Rodd posted:

All my friends built our first EDH decks during Time Spiral, that was in Philly in 2006, so it sort of looking like it started in the NE United States and crept out from the frozen wastelands of the Buffalo into the greater mainland over the late 2000’s and early 2010s. I remember listening to every Command Zone podcast and reading every Lab Maniac’s blogpost because they were almost literally the only commander content creators at that time.

I was in southern New England and I think I heard about it summer 08? All I remember was it was after Planar Chaos (Jan 07) but before the paper product Commander (June 11) because at the time the literal only Red Blue Green commander was Intet, the Dreamer.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I went to Grand Prix Montreal in 2007 and my judge friend from Canada (who I met here) asked me if I had an EDH deck. I'd never heard of it. When he told me the rules, I built Sol'kanar, and had fun playing it with the judges. When I got back, I showed everyone here, and it wasn't long until we had two dozen or more people building decks. Since I was the only judge in a 50 mile radius, I got to spread it around to all the different stores. It was so much fun to look through binders and try to find cards that might have potential. I'm sure someone's written it, but I need to see a list of "Former EDH All-Stars" because there's a lot of cards that have been outclassed or aren't played anymore for non-ban reasons.

Edit: Most of the 3-mana rocks fall into that category. Regrowth (lots of better options now), Solemn Simulacrum, Mortify, Putrefy, Hinder (RIP tuck rule, I remember people being really upset when that happened), Nevinyrral's Disk, Flametongue Kavu, Harmonize (before green got much better draw), etc.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 9, 2022

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

One downside of EDH is that its popularity has almost entirely eliminated the viability of every other niche casual format. Besides the ones that are more or less spinoffs of EDH of course, like Conquest.

I want Emperor to make a comeback, that poo poo is fun as hell. poo poo, you could even combine it with edh like how people play planechase commander.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Silhouette posted:

I want Emperor to make a comeback, that poo poo is fun as hell. poo poo, you could even combine it with edh like how people play planechase commander.

I've done that a couple times and it was okay but you really have to work out the balance and which decks go where correctly or it's just a onesided shitshow

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

I've done that a couple times and it was okay but you really have to work out the balance and which decks go where correctly or it's just a onesided shitshow

I did this once where one of the opposing players was running Heartless Hidetsugu as their commander and tried their damndest to activate him. I killed Hidetsugu 6-7 times with spot removal before the game ended. For those who don't know, Hidetsugu affects each player, so if he ever activated then the match would be a draw.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Are there any good equip cheats like Puresteel in Red?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Are there any good equip cheats like Puresteel in Red?

Magnetic theft, brass squire (available in red), Hammer of Nazahn (ditto) Kazuuls toll collector, armory automaton (colorless)

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I'm trying to wrap my head around this interaction and not sure I have it right/

DMU has Vesuvan Duplimancy*

If Duplimancy + Zada Hedron Grinder** + Silverfur Partisan*** are on the field and I cast something like Shape the Sands**** targeting Zada the triggers would be: Duplimancy, Zada, and Silverfur. I stack it as Duplimancy creating a second Zada, then the OG Zada triggers copying to spell to Zada Mk1 and Silverfur and creating a new trigger for Zada Mk1. Silverfur triggers creating a wolf token.

Zada Mk1 triggers and copies the spells targeting OG Zada, the Silverfur, and the Wolf. Dupe triggers creating Zada Mk2, then Silverfur triggers creating 2x Wolf. We have an infinite Zada Wolf loop correct that grows exponentially correct?

Also would Duplimancy also create infinite Partisans?

Quick Ref from Scryfall -
* Vesuvan Duplimancy 3U / Enchantment / "Whenever you cast a spell that targets only a single artifact or creature you control, create a token that’s a copy of that artifact or creature, except it’s not legendary."

** Zada 3R / Legendary Creature — Goblin Ally / "Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell that targets only Zada, Hedron Grinder, copy that spell for each other creature you control that the spell could target. Each copy targets a different one of those creatures."

*** 2G / Creature — Wolf Warrior / "Trample - Whenever a Wolf or Werewolf you control becomes the target of an instant or sorcery spell, create a 2/2 green Wolf creature token."

**** Shape the Sands G / Instant / Target creature gets +0/+5 and gains reach until end of turn. (It can block creatures with flying.)

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
There is a difference between casting a spell and copying a spell. Duplimancy and Zada trigger on cast only, so the copied spell won’t create copies of everything else. If you keep casting spells on Zada copies you’ll keep making Zada copies, but their copies won’t trigger to make more copies.

‘Cast’ is the only word that matters here.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Zada, as well, requires you to cast a spell targeting Zada. And, crucially, the copies Zada makes aren't "cast." (Copies, in general, aren't cast; but there are exceptions such as Isochron Scepter. You just have to read each card carefully, here.)

Vesuvan Duplimancy and Zada don't really go together in any special way. You'll get copies of Zada when you target him with spells but there's really no point in having more than one Zada (other than that you might want more creatures, period).

Silverfur Partisan, OTOH, triggers when it "becomes the target," so that includes the copies (that aren't cast) from Zada.

The result of that situation, assuming you stack Duplimancy's trigger on top and Zada's trigger on bottom, is two 3/8 reach Zadas, a 2/7 reach Silverfur, and a 2/2 wolf.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Thanks. I knew I was missing something, but couldn’t figure it out..

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

So I've been out of paper EDH for the entire plague, but am looking to get back into it again with some friends.

Related, my only EDH deck I had assembled apparently had a buncha cards spike insanely high in the last couple years to the point where I don't feel comfortable just tossing it in the car for when I see people.

Most of the players I play with have more casual and thematic decks, usually with relatively cheap manabases as they often have like 5 or 10 decks, so it's a lotta checklands, tricolor taplands, and basics usually.

I picked up the painbow precon, a bunch of the new gates for fixing and figured I'd pull out some of the bad 5 color cards and swap in some more fun flavorful cards that I like playing from the past and use the 5 color manafixing companion for a neat deckbuilding restriction.

Maze's end+extra land drops+untap effects being the primary wincon would probably not be too overturned for these folks?

Is there anything particularly fun or neat for 5 color decks that's been printed lately not in this precon? I figured I'd go for the gate package over a domain package since it gives me a relatively clean, but slower wincon.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Just proxy your old deck and tell people that you don't like carrying around a bunch of cards worth a shitload where there's a chance they could be lost/damaged/stolen.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Friendly reminder that painlands are gonna be dirt loving cheap for a while, stock up on those suckers. I can't think of many decks I wouldn't auto-include them in outside of obviously monocolor ones.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Yeah, especially since a bunch of them haven't been reprinted since 20 loving 10

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://twitter.com/mtgcommander/status/1569340326619348992?t=DDaAUupqO831MITNh0ZZ0Q&s=19

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Wow, I did not see either of those picks coming but they're both great.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, how many loving people are on the RC, now?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
The website lists 6 people on the RC, 13 on the CAG.

Previewing stuff from the 40k decks started

LibrarianCroaker fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 12, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sheldon, Charlotte, Scott, Jim, Olivia, Gavin…

gently caress I forgot Tony Elliot, I always forget Toby

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Wow, actually adding people to the RC, not just the CAG. That's a huge step, assuming it's not just going to be a puppet minority controlled opposition party or something. Obviously the old guard still outnumbers them, but I can't imagine either of those people would remain quiet if they felt they were unheard. Good for them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

LibrarianCroaker posted:

The website lists 6 people on the RC, 13 on the CAG.

Previewing stuff from the 40k decks started

Bel'akor seems the strongest here. Slightly better Terror of the Peaks but for demons and draw cards equal to the number of demons in play are both good abilities. The first would be insane if there as many ways to cheat demons into play as there are dragons.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Some friends and I decided to try Commander. Two of them have played in the past and have a deck or two but myself and the other guy have never played so we decided to start with precons. Should I just pick a deck with a commander that looks fun haha? Are there some decks available that have better staples for someone starting out?
E: For context I haven't played paper since like 2008 and it was extremely casual magic with friends back then haha

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 12, 2022

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

ChiTownEddie posted:

Some friends and I decided to try Commander. Two of them have played in the past and have a deck or two but myself and the other guy have never played so we decided to start with precons. Should I just pick a deck with a commander that looks fun haha? Are there some decks available that have better staples for someone starting out?
E: For context I haven't played paper since like 2008 and it was extremely casual magic with friends back then haha

I would ask to take a look at the decks your friends have made in order to get an idea of the power level and competitive level they like to play around with. And definitely almost always pick a legendary card that sparks your interest and creativity for building and or theme. The best way to play is playing something you kinda feel a little invested in either to stomp someone or just have fun and see what it does.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Jiro posted:

I would ask to take a look at the decks your friends have made in order to get an idea of the power level and competitive level they like to play around with. And definitely almost always pick a legendary card that sparks your interest and creativity for building and or theme. The best way to play is playing something you kinda feel a little invested in either to stomp someone or just have fun and see what it does.

They easily agreed to shelving their decks until we get a feel for the format (and I think their decks are pretty dated), so we're all starting with precons. We've all done drafts and poo poo over the years with each other so it should at least start with a pretty casual meta even if we move past the precons (which hopefully we do haha).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Buying and upgrading a precon along with your friends in a dedicated playgroup is basically the platonic ideal of Commander skill progression, you’re in great shape.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

ChiTownEddie posted:

They easily agreed to shelving their decks until we get a feel for the format (and I think their decks are pretty dated), so we're all starting with precons. We've all done drafts and poo poo over the years with each other so it should at least start with a pretty casual meta even if we move past the precons (which hopefully we do haha).

This is definitely the way to go, and is probably one of the most fun ways to play commander as the precons tend to be fairly evenly balanced. I have copies of all the precons sleeved up specifically for this reason, and have bought extra copies and made upgrades to the few that grabbed me the most. Hope your group enjoys it!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Sweet, thanks all! It'll be fun just to play mtg again with friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

If you want something fun and simple to reintroduce yourself to the game, I'd suggest tracking down the Elven Empire precon from 2021's Kaldheim. It was $20 on release, and you can still get it for around that same price these days.