Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Video of the destroyed Kupyansk bridge on telegram: https://t.me/romanov_92/27222

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some sort of fish
Apr 25, 2011

im curious about how the liquidity injection will wind up being structured. the ecb is on record saying they won't extend to energy firms directly.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-09-09/lagarde-says-ecb-can-offer-liquidity-to-banks-not-energy-firms

im unfamiliar with how the ecb mandate works in practice, can this simply be overruled or would it just be directly given funding? i suppose if energy firms need central bank support in addition to direct stimulus to stay solvent, you have reached the point where derivatives trading must be suspended anyways.

im not terribly optimistic about the price cap mechanism working though.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Libluini posted:

Zelensky dying in the confusion of the first days of war had enough plausible deniability to work, outright assassinating heads of state is a thing no-one wants to encourage, otherwise every nation on Earth soon has new elections every other week

USA definitely tried to get Saddam Hussein and Muammar Gaddafi with air strikes, and the latter one's convoy was actually hit leading to his capture and execution by rebels. Reagan had already tried getting him in 1986, but Gaddafi was warned about the strikes and fled his compound with his family.

It's a moot point really when you're at war and want the enemy to capitulate ASAP. It's not like anyone thinks "oh it would be rude to murder Mr. Hitler, he deserves a fair trial" although apparently Allies didn't try very hard to kill the Führer because there was the risk that he would be replaced by someone less insane and drug addled.

It's more frowned upon when you're just at cold conflict with another country and still try to off the other guy, like when CIA made attempts on Fidel Castro. Ford put an end on that with an executive order forbidding political assassinations. But war time is different, decapitation strikes are a valid tactic. They're just extremely hard to pull off.

quote:

In the early morning of 19 March 2003, U.S. forces abandoned the plan for initial, non-nuclear decapitation strikes against 55 top Iraqi officials, in light of reports that Saddam Hussein was visiting his sons, Uday and Qusay, at Dora Farms, within the al-Dora farming community on the outskirts of Baghdad. At approximately 04:42 Baghdad time, two F-117 Nighthawk stealth fighters from the 8th Expeditionary Fighter Squadron dropped four enhanced, satellite-guided 2,000-pound GBU-27 'Bunker Busters' on the compound. Complementing the aerial bombardment were nearly 40 Tomahawk cruise missiles fired from several ships, including the Ticonderoga-class cruiser USS Cowpens, credited with the first to strike, Arleigh Burke-class destroyers USS Donald Cook and USS Porter, as well as two submarines in the Red Sea and Persian Gulf.

One bomb missed the compound entirely and the other three missed their target, landing on the other side of the wall of the palace compound. Saddam Hussein was not present, nor were any members of the Iraqi leadership. The attack killed one civilian and injured fourteen others, including four men, nine women and one child. Later sources indicated that Saddam Hussein had not visited the farm since 1995, while others claimed that Saddam had been at the compound that morning, but had left before the strike, which Bush had ordered delayed until the 48-hour deadline had expired.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1568172692347539457

:ukraine: :unsmith:

(twitter marked it sensitive but it's just Ukrainians repainting a town sign)

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

MegaZeroX posted:

There is a lot of wild information going around right now about Ukraine being in some combination of Ukraine being just east of Izyium now, being just north west of Izyium, or actually being in Izyium itself. I'm not sure how many, if any, of these, are true, but they are starting to get some circulation.

The Kyiv post is now saying this as well:

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1568300744255721472

I'm still dubious on this though.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 9, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

There are UA troops on both sides of the road, that’s why 4 of them fell off. After they crash into a tree with the 3 remaining people holding on for dear life and the tree looks like it crushes 1-2 of them on top. Wild footage

:nms: :nws:

E: https://mobile.twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1568282616373059586

That's why they're called tankodesantniki! :pseudo:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

If they grab Izyium/Izum then they're in spitting distance of crossing a muuuuch narrower part of the Oskil river and threatening everything on the east side of it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MegaZeroX posted:

The Kyiv post is now saying this as well:

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1568300744255721472

I'm still dubious on this though.

It's like Ukraine kicked in the front door and the whole rotten structure came crashing down.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese
This offensive is absolutely insane.

what the hell is going on with the Russian forces?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Liveua map now seems to support the Ukrainians are in Oskil: https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/9-september-ukrainian-military-reportedly-is-in-kapitolovka

If this is true, any Russians inside that pocket that didn't escape are either dead or POWs, and all the equipment is going to be Ukraine's.

Edit: seems fake, the image seems to be from Kupyansk.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Deteriorata posted:

It's like Ukraine kicked in the front door and the whole rotten structure came crashing down.

Potemkin military

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
This feels a lot like back when UA was clearing out Kyiv suburbs and moving north - when RU had essentially retreated, leaving town after town essentially empty. Is there any chance this is basically a strategic retreat by Russia?

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

smug n stuff posted:

This feels a lot like back when UA was clearing out Kyiv suburbs and moving north - when RU had essentially retreated, leaving town after town essentially empty. Is there any chance this is basically a strategic retreat by Russia?

.... they didnt do something stupid like pull their forces out of the field to go do their vostok sales brochure thing, did they? Surely they can't be that dumb.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

smug n stuff posted:

Retreat, probably. The word 'strategic' is kinda questionable.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

smug n stuff posted:

Oryx's list has been growing at a pretty prodigal rate the last few days, if they're retreating they're leaving a lot (both men and materiel) behind.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

smug n stuff posted:

It's a gesture of good will

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

smug n stuff posted:

Russian telegram channels has several videos of large Russian military columns moving TOWARD Kharkiv front as reinforcements so hard to say. Could always be fake unless people geo-locate and analyze direction. I would guess there is plenty of retreating going on, just not strategic. Will not be surprised if these reinforcements end up passing by their own forces that are running in the other direction.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 9, 2022

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!

smug n stuff posted:

The retreat is getting closer and closer to trapping them between the Ukrainian armed forces and a river. I suppose they could be trying to re-form somewhere, but the ground they're giving up to do it, without seemingly even holding actions being taken, makes it look like blind panic.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Nice little article summarizing the stuff happening. I find the quote hinting at the Gepard quite interesting - I don't think I've seen a single video of them (or the German MARS/MLRS/M270) in action.
https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1568301368137457665
Some more quotes:

quote:

The Kharkiv offensive did not come out of the blue. A Ukrainian soldier who took part in the initial attack says that columns of Russian troops left the area following intense artillery barrages on September 4th and 5th. “They moved even before we started fighting,” he says. “They must have known we were about to attack, but the idiots seemed to have no idea what they could lose. They didn’t understand it was important.”
A local source says that some of the occupying Russians changed into civilian clothes and escaped on bicycles and stolen cars.
[Ukrainians reach Kupyansk] Pro-Russian military commentators were stunned, accusing the country’s high command of treason.
Russian aircraft have reportedly struggled to distinguish between Russian and Ukrainian units in the pell-mell of fighting, with frontlines shifting rapidly.
“They are blind, and we see everything,” claims the Ukrainian official.
Ukraine’s leaders have long sought a turning-point in the war: an operation that would demonstrate to Western backers that Ukraine can win it, if provided with the right weapons. This week General Valery Zaluzhny, Ukraine’s commander-in-chief, made his first public statement of the conflict on that subject. Success was “directly and exclusively dependent on the resources available to Ukraine"

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Also, I hadn't been closely following the war/the information ecosystem during the summer, I'm seeing this guy get a lot of play, has he been reliable in the past? Seems like he mostly just reposts/translates telegram posts, is that right?
https://twitter.com/WarMonitor3/status/1568313987095302148

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

if kherson was actually intended as a completely diversionary effort, russia should feel nervous since the initial assault rocked them pretty hard on their heels in a few places. if the diversionary attack forms a decent salient in the line, what might a dedicated attack do

We are seeing it in real time. Russians increasingly look like they got bamboozled. What an achievement by the Ukrainians

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Is this offensive not the most massive news since Russia's retreat from Kyiv? Dutch news today spent half the time on the death of the queen of England and the other half on measures dealing with the energy crisis, domestic and EU wide. Not even a cursory mention of this biggest offensive of Ukraine against Russia since the start of the war.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Griefor posted:

Is this offensive not the most massive news since Russia's retreat from Kyiv? Dutch news today spent half the time on the death of the queen of England and the other half on measures dealing with the energy crisis, domestic and EU wide. Not even a cursory mention of this biggest offensive of Ukraine against Russia since the start of the war.

News outlets are probably pretty leery of reporting on this, since there's very little completely verifiable information right now and I'd guess that sourcing a story via Twitter/Telegram is not going to make it past a lot of editors.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

smug n stuff posted:

Is there any chance this is basically a strategic retreat by Russia?

It's a good way to get your opponent to over stretch while you get to shorten your supply lines and (maybe) retreat to prepared defences.

But Ukraine has so much help from US intelligence it's hard to imagine for them falling for such a ploy. There'd be satellite photos of armour in reserve, comms chatter about the plan, locals/partisans noticing something fishy.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

smug n stuff posted:

Also, I hadn't been closely following the war/the information ecosystem during the summer, I'm seeing this guy get a lot of play, has he been reliable in the past? Seems like he mostly just reposts/translates telegram posts, is that right?

He is indeed mostly a reposter/collector of Telegram stuff, tho he seems to maybe have a few sources beyond that.

He's been very consistently accurate when cross referenced with other sources I consider trustworthy, but as always with accounts like that take things with a grain of salt.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

smug n stuff posted:

Pretty much that and unattributed quotes from news articles. It's fairly reliable, but imho annoying that sources almost always are missing.

In other news. Cope from the high and mighty.
https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1568299115293048832

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Griefor posted:

That's news for you. But also keep in mind that the regent of your next door ally for the last seven decades dying is kind of news worthy. Meanwhile the capture of some smallish towns that hardly anyone in the west has heard of before in a war that has lasted for over six months already? It's really exciting for us, but try telling that to some friend or family member of yours that doesn't follow the war news at all.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Griefor posted:

If it's not "sexy" it won't sell, short attention spans. :rolleyes:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 9, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

News outlets are probably pretty leery of reporting on this, since there's very little completely verifiable information right now and I'd guess that sourcing a story via Twitter/Telegram is not going to make it past a lot of editors.

Now, let's not say things that we all know are not true...

That being said, I have seen this being handled a plenty in the parts of media that tend to follow the war intensively. But there's just not much to be said because of fog of war. You can interview some military expert and they will give some vague opinions of how they expect things to go.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

smug n stuff posted:

It's generally reposting of Russian and Ukrainian telegram content, but he also claims to have direct contact with people in Ukrainian units.

@wartranslated suggested following the account for quick updates on the offensive so that increases its credibility in my eyes. Wartranslated has always provided high quality translations.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 9, 2022

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Some if not all of the quotes in the article have been posted here, but between the million articles about the Queen, this came out yesterday, besides the quotes it goes into why the various bloggers might be allowed to criticize the Russian leadership.
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1567855491757252610
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/08/we-have-already-lost-far-right-russian-bloggers-slam-kremlin-over-army-response

and this from today
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1568267794193743873
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/09/russia-kharkiv-reinforcements-ukraine-counterattack

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Doccers posted:

.... they didnt do something stupid like pull their forces out of the field to go do their vostok sales brochure thing, did they? Surely they can't be that dumb.

Vostok had several orders of magnitude fewer of...everything, and a lot of what was there was from China. They held back some T-72s for the wargames but otherwise they only committed 2000 soldiers

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

I've noticed that even fairly recently they were more than happy to post anti-ukraine or just doomer poo poo with little substantiation, like how Ukraine is immediately selling all donated gear etc. So I doubt its their journalistic integrity that's stopping them.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

mobby_6kl posted:

I've noticed that even fairly recently they were more than happy to post anti-ukraine or just doomer poo poo with little substantiation, like how Ukraine is immediately selling all donated gear etc. So I doubt its their journalistic integrity that's stopping them.

Who is they?

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Now, let's not say things that we all know are not true...

That being said, I have seen this being handled a plenty in the parts of media that tend to follow the war intensively. But there's just not much to be said because of fog of war. You can interview some military expert and they will give some vague opinions of how they expect things to go.

Much of the reporting on broadcast news is days behind this thread.

Which is mad if you think about it.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Rapulum_Dei posted:

... Caring about the topic less may actually improve quality of reporting..? (Given stuff that gets reported up-to-the-minute is often badly confused)

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Griefor posted:

It was mentioned tonight on the evening news in Belgium (Flanders region) though, along with the other topics you listed. It was a brief item but it did discuss the quick advances right up to the borders of Kupyansk. Annoyingly, even 7 months into the conflict, Flemish television still uses the Russian names for most towns and cities in Ukraine. It's a minor pet peeve but compounded by the fact that for Flemings, Ukrainian is actually easier to pronounce than Russian!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Doccers posted:

This offensive is absolutely insane.

what the hell is going on with the Russian forces?

they mad

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Crow Buddy posted:

Who is they?

Just our ~news media~ here, I probably won't be able to cite specific examples, this is just from random observations over the last 6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Broadcast news has to confirm and vet stories and that takes time. Twitter is always about a day ahead but it includes all the bullshit.