Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I actually really like the Tron soundtrack, so I'm excited to eventually get to hear more of her works. I haven't found any of her albums in the wild yet. I might do the next discogs order as a Wendy Carlos collection though.

In the meanwhile I've been picking up Clint Mansell albums. Easily my favorite composer.

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

love this album, it's insanely catchy and also kind of hilarious

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

My mum gets to better charity shops than I do, here are some that she bought me last week:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Did a little thrift store pickup today. Got my first colored record, and I would have never guessed it’d be anything but just a generic black disk, looking at the jacket

It’s filled with percussion heavy tunes from the 60’s-ish era, all instrumentals. It’s cool because I also sample from vinyl into mpc one, so this will be a goldmine. As it’s filled with a ton of little drum breaks and fills

Also grabbed another percussion album and a bunch of 45’s from my childhood era, either because I recognize them, or the label that released them, like the tommy boy record. Some Color Me Badd, Steppenwolf, MC Hammer(!), and Information Society

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I really dig that hands artwork.

could I get a straight shot down of the artwork on that?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sure thing. Best I could do given that the jacket is actually a bit glossy and basically any angle other than this one was reflecting a light from somewhere

https://i.imgur.com/ESm3S4y.jpg

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 9, 2022

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

awesome! thanks.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also grabbed another percussion album and a bunch of 45’s from my childhood era, either because I recognize them, or the label that released them, like the tommy boy record. Some Color Me Badd, Steppenwolf, MC Hammer(!), and Information Society

I only have one Tommy Boy record (Planet Patrol) and it's one of my absolutely favorites. :3:

It's also a color vinyl (purple), which is hella cool for being from the 80s. I assumed they didn't really do color records back then.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Haven't been to my local record store since mid-June when they didn't have a very good selection at the time. I just stopped by planning on only taking home one or two records because I have a few orders in the mail coming from discogs. I ended up finding like 15 records I wanted to buy, and had to narrow it down to just 6. I spoke with the cashier saying I was spending too much money, and I was shocked at how packed the shelves were (I could barely see anything without pulling them out). He said that they had ordering at the same rate, but that sales slowed way down in August, and then there were a bunch of reissues that came out over Labor Day weekend that they didn't want to miss out on.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Nihonniboku posted:

Haven't been to my local record store since mid-June when they didn't have a very good selection at the time. I just stopped by planning on only taking home one or two records because I have a few orders in the mail coming from discogs. I ended up finding like 15 records I wanted to buy, and had to narrow it down to just 6. I spoke with the cashier saying I was spending too much money, and I was shocked at how packed the shelves were (I could barely see anything without pulling them out). He said that they had ordering at the same rate, but that sales slowed way down in August, and then there were a bunch of reissues that came out over Labor Day weekend that they didn't want to miss out on.

That Z album is so drat good. I need to get me a copy.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

Turbinosamente posted:

Man all I got by her IS Switched on Bach. Anyways latest pickups from the thrift store are thus:

I'm fully expecting 3/4 of these to suck. Something new for the shelf of local folks at least, I can slot it it next to Chuck Mangione. Armand is best known as one of the owners of the House of Guitars store here, btw.
Met Armand at The HOG once as a kid. I told him I liked his Christmas commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UhSzcm7Hfc

Can't believe you fond those at a thrift store and not Record Archive or something.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Frozen Peach posted:

I actually really like the Tron soundtrack, so I'm excited to eventually get to hear more of her works. I haven't found any of her albums in the wild yet. I might do the next discogs order as a Wendy Carlos collection though.

In the meanwhile I've been picking up Clint Mansell albums. Easily my favorite composer.

I used a bit of his score at the front of a short filmi made years ago, from the film Sonny.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Picked up Snoop, Muse, and a couple Christmas albums. Once again I can't help but wonder what the record store person thinks of my tastes in music.

pwn posted:

I used a bit of his score at the front of a short filmi made years ago, from the film Sonny.

Sonny's one of the few of his scored movies I don't know. I need to watch that.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BigFactory posted:

That’s great.

I thought I was cool because I have both covers of switched on Bach. Now I need to look out for that

I almost died when I found the CD for $4 a few years ago. Hope that happens again with Ratt s/t.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Pretzellogic posted:

Met Armand at The HOG once as a kid. I told him I liked his Christmas commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UhSzcm7Hfc

Can't believe you fond those at a thrift store and not Record Archive or something.

I am a terrible native to Rochester as I've never been to HOG and only ate a garbage plate semi recently too (wasn't even from Nick Tahou's- extra shameful). And yeah, it's weird what pops up in the Webster Savers. That's where I got a pristine copy of Triumph- Never Surrender some years back too. I can only figure that somebody out there is a big fan of 60s art rock when it comes to the Armand records. Some different Herb Alpert albums were in the racks too but I didn't want to risk the scratches on one.

Today's mail call was the Darius II soundtrack btw, yay for sales?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Boinks posted:

I almost died when I found the CD for $4 a few years ago. Hope that happens again with Ratt s/t.

Look apparently you got lucky once, next time might be your last CD. Don't be a fool!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Sure thing. Best I could do given that the jacket is actually a bit glossy and basically any angle other than this one was reflecting a light from somewhere

https://i.imgur.com/ESm3S4y.jpg

I got another request via PM for an image of this album cover, so I'm gonna take another swing at it with some proper lighting and a DSLR on a tripod, rather than handheld with a point'n'shoot like the above.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Finally!! :dance: In stock at Streetlight, I've been chasing a reasonably priced copy of this for over a year:

NSFW for titties...Money Store (my favorite Death Grips album)

I also walked out with Seven's Travels by Atmosphere

and some wamono jazz

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Read After Burning posted:

and some wamono jazz

Hell yeah this album rules.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

Turbinosamente posted:

I am a terrible native to Rochester as I've never been to HOG and only ate a garbage plate semi recently too (wasn't even from Nick Tahou's- extra shameful). And yeah, it's weird what pops up in the Webster Savers. That's where I got a pristine copy of Triumph- Never Surrender some years back too. I can only figure that somebody out there is a big fan of 60s art rock when it comes to the Armand records. Some different Herb Alpert albums were in the racks too but I didn't want to risk the scratches on one.
Best place for a garbage plate is Mark's Diner on Monroe. Also, get to the HOG if you can, if only for the insane amount of memorabilia on the walls. Unless you've OCD, ad the bottom floor will make your skin crawl (and it's actually improved in the past decade).

End Rochester stuff.

Tonight's finds/listening, with at least two plucked and cleaned due to recent conversations here:

Also, how the hell does one get a gang tag to work?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Pretzellogic posted:

You buy an avatar, where you enter your title text is where the magic happens

Here is the Crosley Crew code you would add to your title, for example

code:
[img]https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/crosleycrew.gif[/img]
Often when a tag is born a mod or admin will give them out but you can add whatever you want to your title, :10bux: is :10bux:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pretzellogic posted:

Best place for a garbage plate is Mark's Diner on Monroe. Also, get to the HOG if you can, if only for the insane amount of memorabilia on the walls. Unless you've OCD, ad the bottom floor will make your skin crawl (and it's actually improved in the past decade).

End Rochester stuff.

Tonight's finds/listening, with at least two plucked and cleaned due to recent conversations here:

Aldo Nova LOL What's the bottom right?

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

petit choux posted:

Aldo Nova LOL What's the bottom right?
Yeah, Aldo Nova was a blind buy at a Goodwill. Bottom right is Purples - Nancy

pwn posted:

You buy an avatar, where you enter your title text is where the magic happens

Here is the Crosley Crew code you would add to your title, for example

code:
[timg]https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/crosleycrew.gif[/timg]
Often when a tag is born a mod or admin will give them out but you can add whatever you want to your title, :10bux: is :10bux:
Thanks!

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

A neat thing: the runout groove for the B-side of Sun has various nature sounds. Kind of cool, I hadn’t seen that sort of thing so far in my colllecting.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Arcella posted:

Hell yeah this album rules.

The cover of Stevie Wonder's Superstition is fantastic and took me by surprise.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."
Background: I buy a lot of records at Thrift stores/yard sales, then I store them until I get a chance to clean and listen to them. Been on a run recently.

Tonight:

Also, I need to learn how to take more legible photos.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Good stuff

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Open Fire is brilliant, underrated or unheard of and I've never seen a copy without a notch in it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I got another request via PM for an image of this album cover, so I'm gonna take another swing at it with some proper lighting and a DSLR on a tripod, rather than handheld with a point'n'shoot like the above.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Grabbed another interesting one while I had the camera out

Really wish someone wouldnt have slapped a sticker on it :argh:

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 13, 2022

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Grabbed another interesting one while I had the camera out

Really wish someone wouldnt have slapped a sticker on it :argh:

Someone edit him into the Bugs Bunny gun meme.
https://twitter.com/mitchgibso/status/1134172466299973633

pwn
May 27, 2004

Now THAT is how you fukken do that :thumbsup:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

that is crispy

definitely getting that tattooed in the future.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Well, The Residents announced their big 50th Anniversary shindig so the Elfman show is out. :sadpeanut:

In other news gently caress yeah Silent Shout is back in print!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Boinks posted:

Open Fire is brilliant, underrated or unheard of and I've never seen a copy without a notch in it.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Excellent, thanks.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
poo poo guess I had the wrong Montrose records, I just got rid of them as I wasn't digging the whatever 70s rock and just chalked him up as having a similar problem as Toto does.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Turbinosamente posted:

poo poo guess I had the wrong Montrose records, I just got rid of them as I wasn't digging the whatever 70s rock and just chalked him up as having a similar problem as Toto does.

I dunno, I would have guessed Montrose was a bit more like Pat Travers than Toto but I don't remember them too well. Not going to guarantee you or I will enjoy it. Also, some things age better than others and we're strongly influenced by the times we live in. But rock music hadn't solidified into the genres we identify as eternal nowadays. I remember when heavy metal was just a phrase. I think coined by BOC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Turbinosamente posted:

If it was the first two Montrose with Sammy Hagar you have bad taste :mad:

Any of the others are understandable.