Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Apologies for more bathroom tiling questions.

If I do cement board for the wall portion that's getting tiled (again, bathroom but not in the shower, so cement board might be overkill?) is there any prep it needs before thinset? It's hard to research well, because it seems every site/video I go to assumes it IS for a wet area so mentions to prep it with like Redguard or something similar.
you can just use greenboard in the non shower areas. You wouldn't need to do redguard in those areas either. because they aren't getting wet.

And for the corners and seams between boards, I use fiber mesh tape and then coat that with thinset? Do I need a second type, or is the same one I use for the tiles ok?
Yes to mesh tape. Same thinset for the tiles is fine. If you're waterproofing the floor, you only need to bring the redguard up about 4-6" outside the shower area. Inside the shower area you want to go at least to the height of the wall sprayer.

And then the transition between cement board and green board...the cement boards are 3x5, and im tiling up about 45 inches...so I'll either tile over the transition and up a bit onto the drywall, or the cement will extend above the tile.
tile over the transition, you don't want the cement board anyhwere there isn't tile

If it gets covered by tile, I assume I treat it like two cement board seams, with thinset? And then I will need some sort of primer on the bit of greenboard getting tile on it for the thinset to adhere to?
yes to the taping, no to primer. Thinset will key to the greenboard no problem

But if I do the other way (I probably will because if the cement board goes up 5', all I have to do is cut a foot off the greenboard panels to fill the height of the wall) how do I do the transition then? Mesh tape and drywall mud ?
the cement board should only be under tile, it would be a pain in the rear end to try and paint it.

Appreciate the help, might make a whole thread on the bathroom reno when it starts if anyone is interested (or just wants me to stop clogging up this thread.)
I think all of your problems are solved by not doing cement board out side of the shower areas. Unless it's a 1:1 cost ratio, it really wouldn't be necessary.

Inside the shower, definitely cement board.

You'd only need to redguard the non shower walls if you were doing a steam room or you have a habit of pissing on your walls

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Anywhere I can learn more about radon mitigation and options? The detector I moved to my new place is showing high levels in the basement (~9 pCi/l). Seems weird the previous owners didn't do anything, but I guess it's a more recent think to check or something.

My previous place had the whole pipe with a fan setup that was venting it out from the ground to the air outside. I'm assuming that is what I'll have to get done in this place at some point. That seems out of my league since it involves drilling down, so I guess I'll have to get it done by professionals.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Douche4Sale posted:

Anywhere I can learn more about radon mitigation and options? The detector I moved to my new place is showing high levels in the basement (~9 pCi/l). Seems weird the previous owners didn't do anything, but I guess it's a more recent think to check or something.

My previous place had the whole pipe with a fan setup that was venting it out from the ground to the air outside. I'm assuming that is what I'll have to get done in this place at some point. That seems out of my league since it involves drilling down, so I guess I'll have to get it done by professionals.

Yeah just start calling around now. It's twice the max. This is what you get for having a detector, they just lived in blissful ignorance until the lung cancer got them.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Had it done about 18 months ago due to similar levels. Cost estimates from three places all came back at $1200 +/- $100 iirc.

Don't think there are any other options.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Well that was way easier than I thought it would be. Biggest trick was getting the mortar consistency right for the grout bag. Glad I didn’t pay someone to do this!

…..anyone need the 55lbs of mortar left in the bag?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Motronic posted:

It was popular for bathrooms around here even after more traditional sheetrock was being used in the rest of the houses.

And since we're talking about this I am going to make you all watch this because it's mesmerizing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tti-PyT5KE

This is one of the handful of videos that I stop and watch every single time it's posted. Mesmerizing indeed.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sash! posted:

Given that it was the height of atmospheric nuclear testing, decades before any real emissions regulation, regularly exposed to lead and asbestos particulates had very different social norms about alcohol and tobacco, and possibly seen combat, the nails were likely the least of his worries.

Those are great points! Men were men /s.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Thanks for the radon information. Glad it won't be too expensive. I'll get some quotes and try to get it done in the next month or so.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Those are great points! Men were men /s.

It also just wasn't known about so it wasn't that they were Tough Men but also it just wasn't widely available information.

I have a few photos of my grandfather doing similar osha nightmare type of activities, he came over from Italy to Canada and built a gas station/repair garage.

Here's Motronic and H110hawk making sure some other building he made (house?) is up to code:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Here's Motronic and H110hawk making sure some other building he made (house?) is up to code:

Everything a man like your grandfather makes is by definition up to code.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Apologies for more bathroom tiling questions.

We've been slowly working on a bathroom demo & overhaul that kind of lost focus due to outdoor summer projects. At this point we're pretty much at the exact same point as you, so I'm appreciating the gut check with what we're planning and questions I wouldn't have thought to ask.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Motronic posted:

Everything a man like your grandfather makes is by definition up to code.

Appreciate that - he'd be 113 but died 20 years ago. One last shitposted photo for now, Ontario in the 1940s

It's crazy to think that until recently I lived in a building that was made only 15 years after that photo was taken.

e: okay I lied one more thing from then, his billing form and card or whatnot:

Primarily hilarious to me because his phone number was ... 15.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 9, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Appreciate that - he'd be 113 but died 20 years ago. One last shitposted photo for now, Ontario in the 1940s

It's crazy to think that until recently I lived in a building that was made only 15 years after that photo was taken.

Ya know, this is one of the things that irks me about people online/articles talking about "I started a business"/"I have three businesses"/"I'm building my business" and it's like.....an MLM or some kind of glom on SEO thing. There are people who literally moved continents and literally built buildings with their own hands to start/build their business.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Motronic posted:

Ya know, this is one of the things that irks me about people online/articles talking about "I started a business"/"I have three businesses"/"I'm building my business" and it's like.....an MLM or some kind of glom on SEO thing. There are people who literally moved continents and literally built buildings with their own hands to start/build their business.

Yeah at the same time I wonder what he'd think of what I do for work sometimes now that I'm in a more esoteric informatics position, I doubt the word even existed in 1941 let alone the field of employment. I'm not saying he'd look down on it but we've all moved pretty far away from what it used to mean to 'work' in general in a lot of ways. And yeah I think a lot of these old school skills that you just learned from being exposed to it kinda dropped off as fewer people did this kind of thing.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Motronic posted:

Agreed, I'm also always blown away by people who have old family photos like this. People now a days take photos for granted with how easily they have been to make and share for the majority of our lives. To have a camera back then, know how to use it properly, develop and preserve those photos all that time takes a lot of effort. Im so jealous.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This the grandpas getting poo poo done thread? Mine built a lot of the local infrastructure after driving tanks in WW2.

My grandma kicked rear end too. She's in this pic from their days working in a sawmill in the 40s.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

This the grandpas getting poo poo done thread?

If more people have pictures like this it sure as hell should be.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Verman posted:

Agreed, I'm also always blown away by people who have old family photos like this. People now a days take photos for granted with how easily they have been to make and share for the majority of our lives. To have a camera back then, know how to use it properly, develop and preserve those photos all that time takes a lot of effort. Im so jealous.

The only reason I have these photos is that he was also a photographer of sorts and I think he actually took or set up all of these photos. I don't want to post them inline because it feels like I'm making this thread into my personal family photo album (would love to see more from other posters if they have them) but he also did a lot of hilariously cliché stuff like this double exposure of himself.

I have the cameras he used but you can't get the film anymore to fit those film backs, and if you could, you'd be developing them yourself. It's not so bad to develop black and white film at home but it's not something I'm super keen on - been there done that.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Speaking for myself please don't hold back posting interesting Home Zone related stuff (historical building is absolutely related) because you're afraid of changing the thread tone or monopolizing it. This is a very low judgement part of the forum IMHO unless you're making unsafe mistakes etc.

e: oh you just meant linking instead of inline, nevermind that's cool too! Which camera of the 4 do you think made the double exposure?

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 9, 2022

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I think all of your problems are solved by not doing cement board out side of the shower areas. Unless it's a 1:1 cost ratio, it really wouldn't be necessary.

Inside the shower, definitely cement board.

You'd only need to redguard the non shower walls if you were doing a steam room or you have a habit of pissing on your walls

Thanks. I guess I'll use greenboard all around, then.

Layout questions:

I've checked 3 of the 4 walls I'm tiling, and they are all ok in terms of "if I start tiling in the middle, will it look ok at the corners"? independently. I assume I don't worry about when the tiles meet in the corner? Like...if a 3/4 piece of tile ends one row on wall A, and then in the same row on the other wall it ends in a 7/8 l piece of tile, who cares? Or should I try to plan it so that only the largest wall I start tiling in the middle, then in the corners where it meets the other walls, I start from there so it's not two little stubby tiles up against in each other in the corner?

The last wall has a closet that's getting removed, so harder to measure it, but I'm sure it's fine.

BUT if it's not fine, what do I do? By which I mean, if I measure the length and divide by tiles and grout spacing, and it turns out the "leftover" amount for the ends where I have to cut the tile is really small, like under an inch, or even under half an inch...what's the protocol? To me, that seems slightly too narrow/thin to cut a tile...is there an agreed-upon minimum thinness where if I'm under that, I just do an extra thick line of caulk in that corner? Or try t ever so slightly increase the grout spacing to just end on a full/half tile?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Verman posted:

We're talking about the 1940s. The process on the consumer end was the same concept as it was in 1990, i.e. you bought a camera, put in a roll of film, took whatever pics you wanted, then dropped off the film to have it developed. Popular photography really came to the masses in 1900 with the Kodak Brownie, which was so easy it was marketed to kids and teens.

If your ancestors were in the US and had the equivalent of $30 today to drop, they very likely took home photos. The hard part is not losing them and passing down the info along with them.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

e: okay I lied one more thing from then, his billing form and card or whatnot:

Primarily hilarious to me because his phone number was ... 15.

These are great, and I've probably driven by the spot where his garage is or was several times as I lived in that area for several years.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Anne Whateley posted:

If your ancestors were in the US and had the equivalent of $30 today to drop, they very likely took home photos.

The only real, but major, difference is that you had to be far more selective with your picture. Even if you could afford it, you still didn't waste half the roll taking slightly different versions of the same picture, unless you were an actual photographer.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
poo poo posting pictures of your (grand)parents being hardworking badasses is always approved. Just be cognizant of accidentally doxxing yourself please. :v:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

poo poo posting pictures of your (grand)parents being hardworking badasses is always approved. Just be cognizant of accidentally doxxing yourself please. :v:

Coniston is/was a city in Ontario Canada, not my name or anything so all good!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Motronic posted:

It was popular for bathrooms around here even after more traditional sheetrock was being used in the rest of the houses.

And since we're talking about this I am going to make you all watch this because it's mesmerizing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tti-PyT5KE

How sharp was this hatchet, or was the drywall just really easy to cut?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
The hatchet's as sharp as the devil himself

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Vim Fuego posted:

The hatchet's as sharp as the devil himself

The same devil that lost a fiddle contest? Pfft.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My guess is that guy sharpened the hatchet to razor sharpness the right way.

I'm honestly shocked at how quick he moves and how accurate he is with the blade scoring the back of that board. A modern drywaller is fast but would probably have used several power tools in the process.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Reminds me of a guy I know who is a timberman (sorta like a framer / house builder, but for log houses), he's used an axe for so much and so long that it often comes up when doing work on modern construction. Like "gonna have to adjust the fit of that part there, where's me axe?" While the supervisor is looking on like he's not sure what he's seeing and not believing the end result. He mostly does boat restorations and museum work now though, currently working right across the road from my work place rebuilding a 19th century log house for the church museum that they let the roof leak for 20 years on...

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Motronic posted:

If more people have pictures like this it sure as hell should be.

Now I want to see about getting some copies of my great grandfather's home video footage. He was into bleeding edge tech and had a 12mm video camera as of the early to mid 1920's. Like, there is video footage of my grandma in a baby carriage. Also some awesome footage of active construction sites from literally a hundred years ago with steam shovels and cranes and poo poo (great grandfather built construction equipment). My dad's been slowly chipping away at digitization of the video footage and also piles and piles of photos from the last 120 or so years.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Thanks. I guess I'll use greenboard all around, then.

Layout questions:

I've checked 3 of the 4 walls I'm tiling, and they are all ok in terms of "if I start tiling in the middle, will it look ok at the corners"? independently. I assume I don't worry about when the tiles meet in the corner? Like...if a 3/4 piece of tile ends one row on wall A, and then in the same row on the other wall it ends in a 7/8 l piece of tile, who cares? Or should I try to plan it so that only the largest wall I start tiling in the middle, then in the corners where it meets the other walls, I start from there so it's not two little stubby tiles up against in each other in the corner?

The last wall has a closet that's getting removed, so harder to measure it, but I'm sure it's fine.

BUT if it's not fine, what do I do? By which I mean, if I measure the length and divide by tiles and grout spacing, and it turns out the "leftover" amount for the ends where I have to cut the tile is really small, like under an inch, or even under half an inch...what's the protocol? To me, that seems slightly too narrow/thin to cut a tile...is there an agreed-upon minimum thinness where if I'm under that, I just do an extra thick line of caulk in that corner? Or try t ever so slightly increase the grout spacing to just end on a full/half tile?

Unfortunately with the running bond you’re kind of stuck with whatever your wall dimensions are. If your pattern was stacked you would just shift your pattern over half a tile if you had a cut less than half a tile. It just makes the cut larger without impacting the look.

With running bond you’re just stuck. Whatever you shift you’ll end up dealing with on the next course.

I would go for the Dutchman for anything more than 2x the grout joint. So you’re not going to drop a 1/8” cut in there but a half inch cut will look way better than a 1/2” grout joint.

You can also make up about 3/8” or so by switching what wall gets the tile into the corner. Hopefully that makes sense, if it doesn’t let me know and I’ll sketch something out.

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Coniston is/was a city in Ontario Canada, not my name or anything so all good!

Coniston still exists, it's just been amalgamated into Sudbury.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Anyone have a guess what 14 and 18 mean? I can't tell if it's Rect or Rec+ and neither is bringing anything to mind.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Anyone have a guess what 14 and 18 mean? I can't tell if it's Rect or Rec+ and neither is bringing anything to mind.

Recessed

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

cct is circuit, could be R circuit for receptacle circuit.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Do you have any large, lit, powered rectangles?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

considering they shortened unfinished to "unfinsh" my guess would be Rect is just supposed to be short for receptacle and Rcct is supposed to also be Rect but they messed up the e

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Receptacle. Outlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shuu
Aug 19, 2005

Wow!
My contractor friend has been replacing my flooring and noticed a pretty serious slope in one of the rooms of my new house.

I had told him about the BeastMasterJ saga and we joked that maybe joists were cut for my sunken bath too.

Nope, they were cut to run this pipe I guess!