Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I thought Steven Universe was pretty great the whole way through, including Future :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, it seems like a lot of people are just designating certain stuff as "the plot" and as a result are completely misinterpreting what the show is about.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Nice, I was wondering what the status of this was and if it even still in production:
https://twitter.com/CountZachulaaa/status/1568315647515578368

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

DB, I’m not sure if you would have any insight on the matter but is episode 3 of Parthenon the cheapest in the series? Given the core focus of the episode I imagine costs had to be fairly minimal given how much bang for the buck was gotten out of the backgrounds and so on.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Nice, I was wondering what the status of this was and if it even still in production:
https://twitter.com/CountZachulaaa/status/1568315647515578368

Did they commit one way or the other about Gandhi? Like I get where that’s a problem but man did I enjoy the scamp.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 9, 2022

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Warbird posted:

Did they commit one way or the other about Gandhi? Like I get where that’s a problem but man did I enjoy the scamp.

I'm hoping they keep the same voice actor and just give him a new character with the same personality. It seems like an easy fix, just pick one of histories many weirdos (Nikola Tesla maybe?)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The whole point of Clone High was that despite being clones, none of the characters actually were the people who they were cloned from, or even all that much like the people they were cloned from. They looked up to their originals, but they often failed to come anywhere close.

Genghis Khan was the worse joke that needs to be buried.

Macaluso posted:

I thought Steven Universe was pretty great the whole way through, including Future :shrug:

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, it seems like a lot of people are just designating certain stuff as "the plot" and as a result are completely misinterpreting what the show is about.

Steven Universe is very slow-paced show that dwells a lot on Steven living in a small town and having to find his own fun, and it takes a long time for anything about the space or drama to play out. The show is more concerned about examining the feelings of characters than it is about getting to the point where those characters do big action.

It's something that a lot of people wouldn't have patience for, even if it was a major landmark in more "mature" cartoons.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Warbird posted:

DB, I’m not sure if you would have any insight on the matter but is episode 3 of Parthenon the cheapest in the series? Given the core focus of the episode I imagine costs had to be fairly minimal given how much bang for the buck was gotten out of the backgrounds and so on.

Coincidentally, S1E3 is the only one I didn't get a handout for. I did some retakes and one partial BG, the former indicating that there was a significant portion of the ep done by the overseas studio. (Usually our domestic team handles enough to establish scenes from all angles, then the "in-between" BGs are handed off to overseas. Retakes are generally for correcting those overseas BGs. Issues on the domestic side are hashed out during our review meetings, so it's rare we retake them.) So while I don't know the actual numbers, the fact that it's the only ep out of 16 I wasn't assigned to makes me think it was the one most largely handled by overseas and yeah, would therefore be the cheapest.

We alternated between Tiger and DR Movie, and I'm told Tiger was the studio with the better output. If that's a DR Movie ep, I'd bet money it's the cheapest of the bunch.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Lord of Hats posted:

I can't speak for him exactly, but I think it's more accurate to say that Steven Universe grew into a different kind of show than people thought it was going to. Jasper's arrival is a tone shift for the series, and it feels like there's going to be a much more severe conflict with the gem homeworld and the Diamond Authority. That never really materialized--and that's not like, a failure of the writing, but it's going to leave some people waiting for something that's never going to come. Instead, you get something that's a lot more about Steven having to come to terms with who his mom really was, and what she did.

it doesnt help they would do steven bombs

Building up to things, teasing things, and then you d have to wait weeks/month for a pay off.

being able to binge the series reduces how annoying that was

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Steven Universe is very slow-paced show that dwells a lot on Steven living in a small town and having to find his own fun, and it takes a long time for anything about the space or drama to play out. The show is more concerned about examining the feelings of characters than it is about getting to the point where those characters do big action.

It's something that a lot of people wouldn't have patience for, even if it was a major landmark in more "mature" cartoons.

Well like I said the show was good in season 1. I feel like it lost its way in season 2 where it stopped focusing on Beach City as much and you got less character moments. It focused on these big action plots that ultimately didn't lead to anywhere. Someone mentioned the show was about Steven's relationship with his mom, but I feel like after Season 1, she hardly got mentioned for a very long time. You can say the show is about exploring emotions, but there is a long time where it focuses on the plot that is ultimately mostly filler.

And sure the show might have course corrected itself at some point, but I don't have an obligation to continue watching a show that I felt lost its way in order to comment on it. I feel like I watched too much of it already and only kept on watching because I hoped it would return to the quality of season 1.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i feel like the phrase 'status quo' is doing some heavy lifting but so is 'filler arc'. but don't worry, almost no series being worked on in western animation are serial at the moment, it's almost all episodic, so people can be reminded of what status quo actually means

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The pacing of the show was absolutely wrecked by the insane airing schedule. I haven't rewatched the whole show, but I do believe that it's a lot better now that you don't have to wait months between episodes.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

i feel like the phrase 'status quo' is doing some heavy lifting but so is 'filler arc'. but don't worry, almost no series being worked on in western animation are serial at the moment, it's almost all episodic, so people can be reminded of what status quo actually means

I think right now there's just not that many continuing kids' shows airing, since a few of the big ones ended recently and Warner Brothers had its purge. The only ones I really know of right now are The Ghost and Molly McGee and Craig of the Creek.

Adult shows tend to be serial by default, and there's plenty of those going right now.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The 7th Guest posted:

Actually, a lot of more recent series are serialized these days: Pantheon, Invincible, Primal, Star vs the Forces of Evil, Young Justice, Kid Cosmic, Bojack Horseman, Avatar, Voltron, Adventure Time, the last season of Samurai Jack, and Infinity Train just to name a few examples.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Actually, a lot of more recent series are serialized these days: Pantheon, Invincible, Primal, Star vs the Forces of Evil, Young Justice, Kid Cosmic, Bojack Horseman, Avatar, Voltron, Adventure Time, the last season of Samurai Jack, and Infinity Train just to name a few examples.

I think their point is that very recently, a bunch of those shows you mentioned ended. We were in an era of serialization, now it seems we're going back to episodic.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

I think their point is that very recently, a bunch of those shows you mentioned ended. We were in an era of serialization, now it seems we're going back to episodic.
that's correct

another one that became serial in its final season, victor and valentino, also just ended. i've been keeping an eye on what's publicly known about upcoming animated series and the overwhelming majority is episodic in nature, at least in the all-ages demos. networks are pulling back towards 'safe' content

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I wouldn't be surprised if nobody wants to do serialized content because they have a 50/50 chance of being cancelled mid-story for no reason.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They could very easily just hire Aziz Ansari to play Gandhi and it would sound fine and be good. It’s almost the same character as his Parks & Rec guy. I would suggest Harry Kondabolu but his voice is too soft, like Kumail Nanjiani’s

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

yeah. i think alot of shows going into serialazied at least by season too. even rick and morty is starting to openly do it now though looser, helluva boss is slowly turning into a serial too. i dont hate the change. i like following ongoing plot threads and poo poo.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The pacing of the show was absolutely wrecked by the insane airing schedule. I haven't rewatched the whole show, but I do believe that it's a lot better now that you don't have to wait months between episodes.

I think some of the show runners have said that the Steven Bomb scheduling really wrecked the writing process and they had to write with that in mind.

Did anyone at CN ever say why they wanted to air new episodes of SU like that? I don't recall them doing that for their other shows

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I was hearing at the time, "It's actually wildly successful and does great numbers!" but... I have never seen any numbers backing that up or known anyone who shared that opinion.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Happy Landfill posted:

I think some of the show runners have said that the Steven Bomb scheduling really wrecked the writing process and they had to write with that in mind.

Did anyone at CN ever say why they wanted to air new episodes of SU like that? I don't recall them doing that for their other shows

I think they were doing it for a few other shows at the time. I thought OK KO was doing something similar. Heck they're still doing a week of new episodes for their kids shows, I think.

I believe the argument was that the CEO was certain that the app/streaming was the future, so they'd just put it on the app and drop it in the "bomb" format because who cares when it airs. But yeah, it was absolutely terrible and made me give up on watching it. Especially since it tended toward "Here's all Townie episodes. Here's one hour long episode of Gem stuff broken up into 11 minute chunks that now can't ever be easily re-run. lol"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The primary failure of Steven Universe is that there was not more Greg episodes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

idk it seems like since Adventure Time a big play in animation (particularly kids) has been to be episodic and wacky for a season or so then suddenly pivot into serialized. I feel like half of the shows that seem episodic (particularly if they take place in a fantastic setting or feature any sort of abnormal characters/elements) have a 50/50 shot at suddenly having a secret backstory that they move into at some point.

Funky Valentine posted:

The primary failure of Steven Universe is that there was not more Greg episodes.

This guy gets it.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm hoping they keep the same voice actor and just give him a new character with the same personality. It seems like an easy fix, just pick one of histories many weirdos (Nikola Tesla maybe?)

Before the writing was on the wall that they weren't getting a season 2, as a way to deal with the backlash Miller and Lord were entertaining the idea of having Gandhi discover he's not actually a clone of Gandhi, but instead Gary Coleman.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Bust Rodd posted:

They could very easily just hire Aziz Ansari to play Gandhi and it would sound fine and be good. It’s almost the same character as his Parks & Rec guy. I would suggest Harry Kondabolu but his voice is too soft, like Kumail Nanjiani’s

Basically pull a Central Park and move the old guy to someone else? That could work, though I’m not sure I’d Aziz would be the guy; though I could roll with it if they did go with that. There’s also the matter that India is umpteen different ethnicities and cultures crammed together thanks to dead British grandma so you could potentially see some pushback if you tapped someone that didn’t match the source material.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm cool with recasting him but am also of the adamant opinion that Gandhi should be dunked on.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
I feel they won't respect Gandhi unless they get a real child molester to play him, so Aziz is the best fit along multiple axes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“I was publicly shamed for having a weird date” is not “a child molester”, please & thank you, we don’t need to cast pedofile aspersions for no reason.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Lord of Hats posted:

I can't speak for him exactly, but I think it's more accurate to say that Steven Universe grew into a different kind of show than people thought it was going to. Jasper's arrival is a tone shift for the series, and it feels like there's going to be a much more severe conflict with the gem homeworld and the Diamond Authority. That never really materialized--and that's not like, a failure of the writing, but it's going to leave some people waiting for something that's never going to come. Instead, you get something that's a lot more about Steven having to come to terms with who his mom really was, and what she did.

Lol remember when Peridot first showed up it seemed like she was an apocalyptic Darth Vader type of character and playtime was over

Then it turned out she was an angry little slice of pie

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Bust Rodd posted:

“I was publicly shamed for having a weird date” is not “a child molester”, please & thank you, we don’t need to cast pedofile aspersions for no reason.

With your red text maybe you could play Gandhi instead!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

technically gandhi only slept alongside little girls to overcome the temptation and not molest them.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Mantis42 posted:

technically gandhi only slept alongside little girls to overcome the temptation and not molest them.

When I told my husband that is why I have an active Grindr account, let me tell you, my version of that excuse did not work very well.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
i hate to say it but bust rodd is right

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
My take is that Bee and Puppycat is nothing like Steven Universe in anything but MAYBE the setting and definitely the color palette

So far I love Bee and Puppycat, its quiet silliness is pretty different from anything else out there and I really dig it. I actually didn't like the original run of the series much, it felt ultimately pointless since it never really answered any lingering questions that the show kept bringing up. I'm glad the season 2 episodes I've seen so far actually start to elaborate on some of these. Looking forward to finishing it!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Bee and Puppycat is weird, it makes little to no sense moment to moment, and there's this odd lack of energy to everything and everyone. It's action isn't exactly amazing and it's art breaks no grounds.

But it's also cute and charming, it's funny, it knows what it wants to be (I think) and I like it for what it is. Episode 4 was my favorite so far.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'm really enjoying this season of Harley Quinn, I'm surprised so many people have turned on the show.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

JT Smiley posted:

I'm really enjoying this season of Harley Quinn, I'm surprised so many people have turned on the show.

I didn't dislike it. I just enjoyed it less.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

KittyEmpress posted:

Bee and Puppycat is weird, it makes little to no sense moment to moment, and there's this odd lack of energy to everything and everyone. It's action isn't exactly amazing and it's art breaks no grounds.

This post actually cracked the code for me, it’s like the show itself is on Lithium.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Something from Kid Cudi that looks like he kidnapped a bunch of Spider-verse animators. i.e., it’s very pretty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_pHCqZkXvY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The_Doctor posted:

it’s very pretty.

Wait people like that style? I thought it looked like poo poo. It's some weird middle ground between flat animation and high budget and it suffers for being a middle ground.It always looks like I'm doing way too much post processing in an emulator to me.