Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I really like the Otterbox Symmetry series. They give a significant amount of protection without being bulky and getting in the way like their more well known cases.

And yeah some of the colors are great too. That one should get here around when my phone does at the end of next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Shifty Pony posted:

Nah there needs to be one fun/silly option. I know Apple wouldn't go for an iMac-color-like electric purple but was really hoping for at least something coming from the white side like lavender or lilac instead of black adjacent "deep purple".

Oh well, at least there's always cases like this:

This is sick and I would definitely like to see what Apple could do with its supply chain capability and being a market leader in cool materials manufacturing they can do with their cases. They don't really do that. They are already very solidly engineered but they don't seem to push the limits that much. Apple have 25 different iPhone models being sold but none that really stand out. I want an iPhone Ultra Max is what I'm trying to say.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Why can’t they do bold colors again

My yellow XR was almost as attractive as my first iPhone, the iPhone 5C green :kiddo:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Just got an email saying AppleCare+ accidental damage went from two incidents every twelve months to unlimited incidents.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hell yeah time for some more reckless behavior

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Ok thread, it's officially time for this year's conversations about why or why we did not upgrade. This is the phase before conversations around our delivery dates.

Can I ask earnestly, any 13 Pro users here putting in for a 14 Pro ?

Need the rationalization before I proceed plz

(This is a serious post)

The literal only way I would upgrade my 13P is if one of my kids’ phones were eligible for $1000 ATT trade in credit. Otherwise, gently caress that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm gonna try my luck and chatting with Apple tomorrow to see if I can alter my order to do a trade in. I was surprised to see they took Android phones in for trade. Irritatingly, the Galaxy S21 Ultra I have wasn't on their list, despite having every other variant of S21 available on the list of trade ins.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

MarcusSA posted:

Hell yeah time for some more reckless behavior

:hellyeah:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

That case *checks notes* slaps.

Green is the superior iPhone color I will not be answering questions at this time.

I agree with this. Apple hosed me with releasing a mid cycle green 13 Pro but whatever, the gold one is nice.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Still can't use the AUP with a business account...

for shame.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Skeezy posted:

I agree with this. Apple hosed me with releasing a mid cycle green 13 Pro but whatever, the gold one is nice.

Nothing had wowed me enough to get rid of my XS until I saw the green 13s. It’s so pretty I take it out of the case to gawk at it still. Greens been my favorite color since I was a little guy.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I have a 13 pro max and I’m on the fence. I want to see some real benchmarks before I do an upgrade.

Benchmarks will be number go up but real world performance outside of the most demanding games probably wont even be noticeable.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I know y’all are doing trade-ins and stuff but it’s still mindboggling to me that there are people out there upgrading their $1300 phones after one year.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

I know y’all are doing trade-ins and stuff but it’s still mindboggling to me that there are people out there upgrading their $1300 phones after one year.

Yeah I make poor financial choices.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Why save money when social security is going to be privatized in a decade anyway

Besides, ya never know when you might need that emergency satellite phone home thing
You might DIE one day because you didn't have this year's iPhone! :ohdear:

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

After the 11PM I was like, okay, I’m going to go yearly from now on, I make alright money and this is all tax deduction and the trade in is super convenient. And I got the 12 PM, and then looked at the 13 and was just powerfully bored by it. Some good camera and battery upgrades which in retrospect would have made a lot of things much easier, but it just wasn’t an exciting buy. I think that that might just be how phones are. Honestly at the current pace I could see going as long as 3 generations, which I’ve done before but that was fairly painful, I think now it could be unnoticeable.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

American McGay posted:

Some of us like spending money. It’s a weird one for me as apple did the iPhone Upgrade Program and now I don’t even think about it. I look at it like the old carrier subsidy where you were always paying for the phone.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I have the 13 Pro Max, wanting the 14 Pro Max because why not. I use this thing every single day. The only thing that makes me hesitate a little is the camera bumps look huge now. looks kinda absurd. but 48MP camera that allows for zoom-in seems incredible..

I probably don't need the incremental updates but I also don't mind essentially renting an iphone for ~$1-$2 a day.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

Nah there needs to be one fun/silly option. I know Apple wouldn't go for an iMac-color-like electric purple but was really hoping for at least something coming from the white side like lavender or lilac instead of black adjacent "deep purple".

Oh well, at least there's always cases like this:

What case is this? I always go Product RED but I love this.

Inner Light posted:

Ok thread, it's officially time for this year's conversations about why or why we did not upgrade. This is the phase before conversations around our delivery dates.

(This is a serious post)

Hi. I asked earlier in the thread about upgrading my 13 Pro Max to 14 Pro Max because of the cameras. I use the cameras on my phones almost every day for pictures and video. I just like taking pictures of everything and with my mother getting older, I like to have memories too.

I upgraded my 13 Pro Max to 14 Pro Max because of the camera upgrades. Also crash detection too because ever since having an accident a few years ago, having crash detection on my Pixel helps with that...I'd love it on the iPhone too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It seems you can make more money selling your used iPhone on eBay than trading it in to Apple

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Inner Light posted:

(This is a serious post)

My work lets me salary sacrifice one phone per year so it's actually more cost effective to get a new phone every year than to use it for 2-3 years.
Plus then I can hand down what is still a really good phone to family or friends for a cheap price.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Steve Yun posted:

It seems you can make more money selling your used iPhone on eBay than trading it in to Apple

I've tried selling past iPhones online before, and the amount of scammer responses and general iffy-ness made it not worth it the extra money.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So how are the speakers on new iPhones these days? Not that I’m gonna be playing stuff in public but it’s nice to be able to play stuff round the house without having to connect to a set of speakers first, or if I’m walking between rooms I don’t have speakers in.

My iPad Pro 10.5 has great sound so I’m kind hoping the new iPhones sound as good.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i'm on an iphone 13 and might go up to a 14 pro max and switch to upgrading annually instead of every two years
i spend so much time on the phone that i don't mind paying annually for the latest and best

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

My iPad Pro 10.5 has great sound so I’m kind hoping the new iPhones sound as good.

You're going from four speakers to a single (and smaller) speaker, in a smaller enclosure. You may want to temper your expectations. Bass and volume will suffer. I wouldn't use the speaker in my 11 for music, but it does audiobooks just fine.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 10, 2022

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Mister Facetious posted:

You're going from four speakers to a single (and smaller) speaker, in a smaller enclosure. You may want to temper your expectations. Bass and volume will suffer. I wouldn't use the speaker in my 11 for music, but it does audiobooks just fine.
I’m on a XS current and the audio is… fine, but with the cost of the Pro line especially I’m hoping they did a bit of work since then, maybe threw a second speaker on there somewhere.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

I’m on a XS current and the audio is… fine, but with the cost of the Pro line especially I’m hoping they did a bit of work since then, maybe threw a second speaker on there somewhere.

It would be nice if the earpiece could do proper speaker volumes too, yeah. At least iPhone speakers don't have distortion when you max them out, that'd suuuck.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Sep 10, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Inner Light posted:

(This is a serious post)
I'm coming from a 12 Pro instead of a 13 Pro. In principle it wouldn't be necessary (battery health also still at 96%), but the battery capacity's increased over the 12 Pro, the CPU and 5G modem are more efficient, so I'm expecting way improved runtime. Thing also got the dual-band GPS, so improved tracking on runs and MTB rides is a plus.

That said, considering the price hike in the EU, I'm adding a year to my current smartphone cadence and gonna upgrade every third year. Also, I promised my nephew my old phone, and his broke, so I'm kinda forced to upgrade. :v:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Sep 10, 2022

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

What case is this? I always go Product RED but I love this.

https://www.otterbox.com/en-us/trendy-iphone-14-pro-case-for-magsafe/77-88951.html

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Tip: coupon code OTTER10 should give 10% off + free shipping, OBWTEN should give a flat $10 off.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

Why can’t they do bold colors again

My yellow XR was almost as attractive as my first iPhone, the iPhone 5C green :kiddo:

No offense, but it’s Because no one bought either of these colors lol.

American McGay posted:

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I make poor financial choices.

This.

Also, yeah, I alternate upgrades and promos with a family member is one way I make it work. My 13 pro is on a BOGO for instance, as was my 12 and 11 pro. So I trade in my 12 pro this year, wait until next year to trade in my 13 pro.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Mister Facetious posted:

Don’t they have 2 now?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lol imagine having a 13 and not having the best notification animation integrations. loving shameful.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

American McGay posted:

Keep in mind unless they're throwing their previous iPhone in the trash it's not $1-1.3k annually.

I traded in my 12 Pro for $430 so the price of the 14 pro was $570. If I do the same two years from now and get similar trade in values (yes I know I can get more doing it myself but gently caress that) it makes the cost $285/year.

I think the math is very similar for going from the 13 pro to the 14 pro with the higher trade in value.

Taxes gently caress you the more frequently you do it though.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I bought an iPhone SE in 2017 for $350 and it has lasted 5 years with one battery replacement. It’s still a great phone.

I plan on using it for a couple more years after that. That’s ~$80 a year or less in cost.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
This is stupid but Maps is like the one app I’d prefer not to be in dark mode for. Is there a way to make it the sole exception to system wide dark mode?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

silence_kit posted:

I bought an iPhone SE in 2017 for $350 and it has lasted 5 years with one battery replacement. It’s still a great phone.

I plan on using it for a couple more years after that. That’s ~$80 a year or less in cost.

This is the real competitive advantage that I think Apple brings, aside from the battery, you can ride any of their devices for years and years if you're not compelled to grab the newer features.

I don't believe that you can say the same for Android.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Yeah, before that I used middle-tier Android devices, and had I paid for them instead of receiving them as gifts, total cost of ownership per year would have been higher even though the phones are cheaper than the iPhone SE.

My iPhone SE is also way faster, has lower idle power consumption, and is like way better in almost every way than all of the Androids I had before that.

My phone is still going to be good for a couple more years. I might get one more battery replacement while Apple still offers it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

silence_kit posted:

I’ve been doing the same but I believe it’s no longer going to be supported for software updates going forward, so it’s time to upgrade to the SE 3 and do it with that for 5 more years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

silence_kit posted:

Yeah, before that I used middle-tier Android devices, and had I paid for them instead of receiving them as gifts, total cost of ownership per year would have been higher even though the phones are cheaper than the iPhone SE.

My iPhone SE is also way faster, has lower idle power consumption, and is like way better in almost every way than all of the Androids I had before that.

My phone is still going to be good for a couple more years. I might get one more battery replacement while Apple still offers it.

battery replacement on those is pretty easy to do yourself, though you need a couple of the proprietary scewdriver bits. It's not waterproof so there's no glue to melt