Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I had assumed otherwise at first, but I guess there's no way to add friends using their Splatoon 3 ID? It's just your console friends list?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

1st Stage Midboss posted:

I had assumed otherwise at first, but I guess there's no way to add friends using their Splatoon 3 ID? It's just your console friends list?

For now. Lobby codes are coming in a future update, according to the direct/website

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

mods??

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

susan b buffering posted:

i sigh and unsheathe my splatana

Your honor, I will now submit as evidence the defendant's post where he expressed his desire to "unsheathe" his "splatana" at minors online.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Tafferling posted:

Your honor, I will now submit as evidence the defendant's post where he expressed his desire to "unsheathe" his "splatana" at minors online.

consider not posting

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

susan b buffering posted:

consider not posting

You all deserve my posting.

Joking aside, was SplaGoons agreed on? I think I'll torture myself a bit with the public drawing board and make a nice tag.
I have a duck right now.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I'm stuck with handheld and shaky wifi for the next week or so, so I haven't even had a chance to try multiplayer yet, but the single player is really good so far, for anyone who was on the fence and that would be a deciding point for.

Get Splatoon 3. It is good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve been getting various weapons to freshness level 1 for the sheldon tickets and it really highlights how happy I am with my main play style. Why does the Splattershot Pro have so little ink smh

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

This game reminds me of Kirby Superstar. You take one basic control scheme and engine and stretch it in so many different ways thst it’s basically 4 or 5 games in one.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

This game reminds me of Kirby Superstar. You take one basic control scheme and engine and stretch it in so many different ways thst it’s basically 4 or 5 games in one.

That’s a good comparison.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's a platformer shooter, I think is the key bit.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

SimplyCosmic posted:

I don't want to shame my family by constantly getting owned by 10-year-olds.

But it's kind of a weirdly cute game that keeps drawing my attention.

i played splatoon 1 and the games are extremely charming and cute, and most importantly, a super fun time

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So the ultra detailed images with dithering I’m seeing I’m guessing is some type of program and hardware doing it, right? Are there any links explaining it?

This was for Splatoon 2 but the general idea should still be the same.

https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Use-a-Teensy-to-Print-Pictures-on-Splatoon-/

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Muscle Tracer posted:

Anyone else having horrible connection issues? I feel like for every 5 successful matches I'm getting 10 "connection error"s and two "a player dropped."

totally

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Muscle Tracer posted:

Anyone else having horrible connection issues? I feel like for every 5 successful matches I'm getting 10 "connection error"s and two "a player dropped."

I’m getting some connection errors between matches, but it’s only happened once during a match so far.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Life sentences for the designers of "Those Aren't Birds". Just an abysmal concept for a mission all around. It's not that they failed, because the concept was dogshit, it's that the idea even left the drawing board, in this game, with these mechanics. One of those times where you'd think the observation that literally nobody enjoys it would trigger a revisitation of its place in the game. A crime against video games.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The card game is surprisingly engaging. A mix of Tetris and Go and Turf Wars, it's unique and interesting. Kinda reminds me of Gwent in that it's shockingly fun for an ancillary side component.

Also now I've got a different banner and title from all the level 1-4s >: )

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

Escobarbarian posted:

I’ve been getting various weapons to freshness level 1 for the sheldon tickets and it really highlights how happy I am with my main play style. Why does the Splattershot Pro have so little ink smh

Splattershot Pro is in a class of "high ink consumption" weapons alongside Dynamo, E-Liter, Hydra and Luna (maybe Tentabrella and Explosher too?). The silver lining is that you get much better returns than normal weapons on three subs or less of Ink Saver Main. One sub of Ink Saver Main alone is like a 7% buff to ink efficiency for the Pro which is why I always run one sub at minimum.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I bought the game and played a bunch of matches, it's pretty fun! Can't wrap my head around motion controls though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Salmon Run being open 24/7 is such a good change. I look forward to seeing how this mode grows. Cohozuna is basically a raid boss, and from the wording on promo materials, sounds like more raid bosses will be on the way too.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Single player kicks rear end so far, I love it. Definitely took the best elements of Octo Expansion mixed with the single player campaigns in 1 & 2 to make a perfect baby. It’s so nice that there aren’t 12 weapon options for each level, that was the dumbest poo poo.

Edit: I cannot emphasize enough how awful that level in sector 2 is, where you shoot boxes while on rails. They recommend the Slosher which is the hardest weapon for that level lol

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 10, 2022

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Single player kicks rear end so far, I love it. Definitely took the best elements of Octo Expansion mixed with the single player campaigns in 1 & 2 to make a perfect baby. It’s so nice that there aren’t 12 weapon options for each level, that was the dumbest poo poo.

Yes but a great time-killer. I did them on while making trans-atlantic phone calls home. It was chill.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

junan_paalla posted:

I bought the game and played a bunch of matches, it's pretty fun! Can't wrap my head around motion controls though.

I recommend starting out with a roller; that one doesn't usually call for precision and is easier on the brain when learning gyro.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Some of the recommended weapons are really more "we designed the level around this weapon" and it's not the easy mode. Namely cause sometimes the other weapon choices utterly shatter the level.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Couple questions; are turf wars ever at night or different times of the day? And are the maps so symmetrical that no matter what, you always start on the same 'side', physically?

The second question ties into the first, as it feels like I'm always on a specific side of each map, based on the direction of shadows/sunlight. I'm wondering if that's only client side, and the other team is the same.

I get that the game will always show my team on the left, and when checking the map with X, I'll always be at the bottom, but I'm sure that could be said of anyone on the opposing team. I just don't know if they do that with the maps themselves.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Couple questions; are turf wars ever at night or different times of the day?

Only during Splatfest.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty sure most stages are, like in Team Fortress 2, maybe different cosmetically from side to side but not gameplay-wise as much as they can manage. You can flip a coin a dozen times and get heads every time.

Salmon Run is definitely annoying with players that very clearly didn't pay any attention to the new mechanics. Haven't beaten the raid boss so far because everyone seems to run around in a panic and plink away with their weapons while ignoring the minibosses.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Maps are generally symmetrical. If there are differences they’ll be cosmetic, and if gameplay differences get found they usually get patched out quickly.

That being said there are 2 maps in the franchise that use mirror symmetry instead of rotational. Saltspray Rig and Skipper Pavilion, neither of which are in Splatoon 3. Yet.

Nothing special about rig, but skipper actually places additional objects on the right side of the map to lessen the advantage of your player characters being right handed. This matters slightly as you expose less of your body when peeking out from the right side of a wall compared to the left side.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Fedule posted:

Life sentences for the designers of "Those Aren't Birds". Just an abysmal concept for a mission all around. It's not that they failed, because the concept was dogshit, it's that the idea even left the drawing board, in this game, with these mechanics. One of those times where you'd think the observation that literally nobody enjoys it would trigger a revisitation of its place in the game. A crime against video games.

Death sentences for the designers of One-Way Ride through Target Town. It's like a short crash course in all the known cardinal sins of game design, it's a case study in how never to design a challenge. The funny thing is it's actually a fine concept for a stage, it's the exact opposite of Those Aren't Birds in that it's a catastrophic failure of execution of an idea that could have worked fine with some minor modifications.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So if I challenge one of the players in the lobby to the card game do I play against them directly or is it an AI with their deck?

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Single player ending is suitably epic. Gives the OE ending a run for its money.

My favorite small QoL change is that if you run into duplicate gear you can buy it for 10,000 to add an ability slot to the one you already own. Really frees me up to buy fresh gear with one slot knowing I’m not gonna have to burn snails on it.

Especially now that Grizz Co pays out like 32,000 instead of 4,000.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I played the multiplayer up to level 6 and did two Salmon Runs. I love that there's weapons designed around not needing precision aim. LOVE IT.

That said ... there's a card game in here somewhere? And other PVP modes that I don't have access to? This must be what it's like for people trying a Monster Hunter game for the first time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Huxley posted:

I played the multiplayer up to level 6 and did two Salmon Runs. I love that there's weapons designed around not needing precision aim. LOVE IT.

That said ... there's a card game in here somewhere? And other PVP modes that I don't have access to? This must be what it's like for people trying a Monster Hunter game for the first time.

It really is, I just got into MHR this year, and it was nuts.

The card game is located in the alley kind of behind the main lobby entrance in the city. When you're looking at the glass doors, go right, past Murch, and it'll be around there. Look for a wall that's checkered with yellow and blue squares.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

So how do amiibos work in this? I have a ton of splatoon amiibos but only two have unlocked any gear for me. Pearl and Marina gave me a few clothing items, but all the other are just offering to save my setup. Do I have to level up more to get the gear from them?

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
It’s about surface area inked, not levels I believe. But yeah you gotta play more and come back.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

Fedule posted:

Death sentences for the designers of One-Way Ride through Target Town. It's like a short crash course in all the known cardinal sins of game design, it's a case study in how never to design a challenge. The funny thing is it's actually a fine concept for a stage, it's the exact opposite of Those Aren't Birds in that it's a catastrophic failure of execution of an idea that could have worked fine with some minor modifications.

I spent like two hours trying to get the stringer part down and took like two tries on both of the other weapons, probably because of all the suffering prior

A lot of the course feels like "this is how charged stringer shots work", up to and including the last shot where you're expected to land a fully charged shot on the rail and then sink another one mid-air, except for the part where its at the end of a two minute gauntlet so you're forced to do the Retread of Shame every time you want to practice the jump, really felt like the Devs were laughing at me personally for that one

If you do the first few shots consistently you end up with more than 50 eggs per try though, so it's just your stubborn pride on the line which I found nice, got the same feeling of bashing my head at a wall that I got from crap like the sans fight

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Lol the dab emote is at the very end of the catalog. Only true Splatoon elites will be able to dab on others.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

badjohny posted:

So how do amiibos work in this? I have a ton of splatoon amiibos but only two have unlocked any gear for me. Pearl and Marina gave me a few clothing items, but all the other are just offering to save my setup. Do I have to level up more to get the gear from them?

All of my Splamiibos gave me their items. The game will prompt you to override saved gear if already present (which mine did and I declined for now, meaning I can't take pics with them and such) but if yours are fresh with the exception of Pearl and Marina, then yeah you may need to just level up more.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So the ultra detailed images with dithering I’m seeing I’m guessing is some type of program and hardware doing it, right? Are there any links explaining it?

As previously mentioned, yeah there's a few different ways to "print" images into lobby posts, but at least one of them (the one I use is with an Arduino) has slight timing issues with the A button presses which causes some dots to become out of sync and cause lines to appear.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

ChaseSP posted:

Lol the dab emote is at the very end of the catalog. Only true Splatoon elites will be able to dab on others.

As squidgod intended. Woomy :colbert:

I really like the lobby this time around. I like to wander around the city looking for graffiti. The first two games were kinda eh and I’d just use the menu selection to go between stores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So if I challenge one of the players in the lobby to the card game do I play against them directly or is it an AI with their deck?

AI with their deck. Actual ranked online battles are coming in a later update.

edit: I would find this game very difficult with a turn timer lol. I usually take forever figuring out my moves