Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Drink everytime someone wants to date/hit on your 13 and 16 year old co-workers or call 24 year olds Grannies and old man in Kuro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tae posted:

Drink everytime someone wants to date/hit on your 13 and 16 year old co-workers or call 24 year olds Grannies and old man in Kuro

Trying to do that every time somebody wanted to ship Rean with his sister nearly killed me. No thank you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe its okay for there to be a joke in a video game where someone calls someone a decade older than them old

like this is just really common banter real people have, especially in japan. im not saying trails doesnt overdo it but i have absolutely been tangential to conversations in real life like that with similar age ranges, lol. i feel like the only reason people complain about it is that theyre self-conscious of their own age

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 9, 2022

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Jeeeeeeeeesus christ, Star Door 15. Dunno that I needed that backstory.

edit: Well that was a hell of a game and I look forward to seeing what lessons, if any, the weird experiment that was Sky 3rd imparted on Zero in a few weeks.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 10, 2022

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Endorph posted:

ehhh. i like them but taion is a bit of a wet blanket sometimes and lanz really only has two modes, 'flex' and 'snark.' theyre a good jrpg cast but they're like, average tales party level.

But what counts as "average" for a Tales party these days though; when I think back on it, the Abyss and Berseria casts do some big time heavy lifting for the quality average and the parties for the rest of the games have some problems imo

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

secretly best girl posted:

Jeeeeeeeeesus christ, Star Door 15. Dunno that I needed that backstory.

edit: Well that was a hell of a game and I look forward to seeing what lessons, if any, the weird experiment that was Sky 3rd imparted on Zero in a few weeks.

You watched Star Door 14, right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MechaX posted:

But what counts as "average" for a Tales party these days though; when I think back on it, the Abyss and Berseria casts do some big time heavy lifting for the quality average and the parties for the rest of the games have some problems imo
the xenoblade 3 party is not as good as: abyss, berseria, graces
the xenoblade 3 party is about as good as: rebirth, vesperia, legendia

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endorph posted:

the xenoblade 3 party is not as good as: abyss, berseria, graces
the xenoblade 3 party is about as good as: rebirth, vesperia, legendia

Vesperia's party is often underrated.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The only Tales parties that are remotely on the same level as XB3 are Abyss and Berseria

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Yeah XB3 was the first time since literally Berseria where I thought "man I'm going to miss this crew of dumbasses." Hell, the only Tales casts I can honestly say are great besides Berseria is Abyss and to a lesser extent Graces (the main plot is pretty dull, but the characters do shine in the skits plus post-game-scenario Richard is just too powerful)

But to loop it back to Falcom, I'm (slowly) making progress in Sky FC, so honestly I'm hoping at least one of the casts in this entire series gets to XB3/Berseria levels

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Some Numbers posted:

You watched Star Door 14, right?

Yeah, I cleared all doors.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I've read Kuro is "too easy" but I'm getting my rear end kicked once in a while and I'm pretty sure I"m missing something important. Just got Risette, but I'm taking like a lot of damage.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Risette will stop you from taking massive damage, so there ya go.

Just like Cold Steel it gets easier the further you get, especially if you use the broken stuff.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I basically make Van a tank with HP/defense/evade, use his coin flip to get agro and put him on one end of the battlefield, use Agnes or someone else to keep him healed up, or he can just heal himself if you get the right driver. It's pretty easy to soften up the trash enemies with the action system and get the tougher enemies in the stun 2x times before using the Shard. Arts weaknesses are also your friends as sometimes just melee damage isn't that effective. I also find using the S crafts more often than previous games since you can use them quite often and they do some big damage especially if you get an enemy/boss stunned. I mostly used the Agnes/Feri/Aaron for most of the game at least until you get Judith.

I had a hard time playing through it the first time with just google translate the first time on the PS4, the little translation insertion helps quite a bit in sorting out the quartz and stuff.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

A party with Van, Agnes and Risette are pretty much unstoppable with the raw support and healing you have. The fourth slot can be whoever you want, I usually go with Aaron myself.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So I just learned from a friend that unlike Jusis and Kurt getting cosmetic changes to their weapons for plot reasons, Laura doesn't get one for changing her sword to Galland-Sharl. Is there a mod out there that can remedy this?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

SgtSteel91 posted:

So I just learned from a friend that unlike Jusis and Kurt getting cosmetic changes to their weapons for plot reasons, Laura doesn't get one for changing her sword to Galland-Sharl. Is there a mod out there that can remedy this?

Wait, I thought I did every single bonding event, and I don't remember that being a thing.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Albarea Family has a set of two fancy swords
1 human sized
1 gundam sized
for reasons.

Kurt picks up Vander #1's blades too.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

SgtSteel91 posted:

Have you reached the final dungeon of CS4 already? There's a reason Laura doesn't get to wield that thing.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Not at the endgame yet, but I did finish Act 2 and the dungeon at the beginning of Act 3

So I figured from this thread and jrpg tropes in general that Olivert, Victor, and Toval didn’t die at the end of CS3. But it wasn’t as much as an asspull as I thought it was going to be. For one, Olivert didn’t plan for his ship to be rigged to explode and got by on sheer luck of George having a change of heart and Bleublanc fishing them out of the rubble. And even then Olivert lost an eye, Victor lost his arm, and from my read of background chatter Olivert was out of commission recovering up until now. But I did like he planned for the Courageous 2 to be built way back at the end of CS2 when he saw the writing on the wall and that the Courageous 1 was going to be impounded by the Imperial Government. Victor being controlled, but not brainwashed, by the Curse was a surprised, but I can buy it since it’s a Sept Terrion and a related thing, Phantasma, did something similar. And hey, it gives Laura another shot at surpassing her father.

The dungeon at the beginning at Act 3 and the revelations there…I’m conflicted about Osborne’s deal now that I know the whole story. I like the idea of the ultimate Villian being Ishmelga, a megalomaniacal piece of the Sept Terrion of Steel, which was born from the Sept Terrions of Fire and Earth clashing because of the ancient Fire and Earth Tribes wishing the other be destroyed. So I can get behind an entity created from such a violent wish itself being malevolent. And compared to Sky and Azure where the Sept Terrions were only dangerous because bad people wanted to misuse them, I like a change of pace where the Sept Terrion itself, even if it is a piece of it, is dangerous and is actively manipulating events. And while part of me thinks a political angle of the conflict, Osborne being a shrewd politician trampling over anyone in the way of Erebonian greatness and the problems it created, was taken away, having played Sky and seen the Crossbell story I’m starting to see a pattern of political intrigue being a smokescreen for people who want to obtain ancient artifacts for power. But I do like there is a sympathetic angle with Osborne; much like his son Osborne really was a good man who was set up to fall into Ishmelga’s clutches and made to stir up the conflict in Erebonia and Crossbell so that Ishmelga can become the Great One. And in the greater picture he might even be trying to ultimately get one over Ishmelga by getting Lianne, or even Rean, to defeat Ishmelga in the Rivalries. Even then… still not sure about him also being the reincarnation of Emperor Dreichels. I think that might have been a little too much, and I think the story would also make sense if Osborne wasn’t a “Chosen One” but “One Who Was Chosen”; like he was really talented and Ishmelga decided to make him it’s pilot since Dreichels is dead. The Emperor would still be willing to give him so much leeway because the Black Records said so, not because Osborne is his reincarnated descendant. And Osborne would convince Lianne since she knew about Ishmelga since the beginning and he thinks she has the best shot of killing it in the Rivalries, rather than them being lovers in a past life.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I pre-ordered Zero on PS4 but the lack of them improving from the initial graphics shitshow makes me wonder if I should change to the Switch version. Do you think that'd be smarter?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I'll probably end up with the Switch version since I uhh already have the PC version....

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah I bought the PC version and played the with fan TL, but I'd like to support the official release, and preferably not play the one that looks garbo.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yeah based on what I've seen I suspect the Switch version is the way to go if you don't want to buy the official English PC version.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Can't switch with the LE lmao.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Whoa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG7AYdd2W1A

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Holy poo poo that's amazing

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Incredible.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hmm, some of the voice clips sound different from what I internalized after a couple of playthroughs

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Kai (which is the version this is based off of) uses Evo's voice acting. It's possible that they re-recorded the combat barks and stuff for Evo, too.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That's probably it. The version I played used the Evo voice acting for the cutscenes, probably used the OG combat lines.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1572217278686498818?t=Ok5pfUiWDOD_Fn4sriz91g&s=19

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That'll be me in a couple of weeks

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

checks out

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

It's not nice to lie.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
What if I'm the opposite (thought Trails in the Sky was a slog), but am desperate for a new Trails game?

:ohdear:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

BisterdDave posted:

What if I'm the opposite (thought Trails in the Sky was a slog), but am desperate for a new Trails game?

:ohdear:

Zero being the fourth game, it's much more like Sky than Cold Steel, but the cast is much smaller and tighter (4 characters for the entire game, with an occasional guest) and Crossbell is a hugely interesting setting with a lot of cool characters (Randy, Tio, Rixia and Wazy are all awesome)

Also the music is fantastic.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

SgtSteel91 posted:

Not at the endgame yet, but I did finish Act 2 and the dungeon at the beginning of Act 3

So I figured from this thread and jrpg tropes in general that (snip)

The dungeon at the beginning at Act 3 and the revelations there… (snip)

Suffice to say that your feelings towards the game's writing are far more generous than mine are.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Zero was okay but nothing to write home about. Ao was a slog up until the final chapter. The first half of the final chapter was pretty great. Then the justice speech happens and Ao falls hard. Trashfire ending and I hate the SSS after it. Aesthetically Crossbell is very boring (it's just a generic modern city) and it's the same location for 100 hours. Combat is serviceable but not very fun like 3rd or the CS games. I can't remember any of the tracks except the 8bit Pom minigame theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Inevitable Struggle (original version) is a killer tune and while the evo version is also really good I prefer the effect of the synth guitar/bass in the original mix.