Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
that has the N20. Have the timing chain guides been looked at / serviced? What was the oil change interval - if 15k, just avoid. There hasn't been a recall, but afaik the N20/N26 engines do not have a great record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea from how Wikipedia puts it, basically don't buy an N20.

If you're looking at F30's, get a 330i or don't lol. I think all the diesels in the lower trims are fine though.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

SlapActionJackson posted:

Shoes aren't good for oil volume measurement. Use a catch pan. :buddy:

ack!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Good timing, here's the "Fixing an N20" video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XE586-y2LY

Spoilers! The engine comes out, and the head comes off.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I just want to confirm, but I should 100% buy a used 535i instead of a 550i, yes? All I've seen is that the V8s newer than Y2K are complete disasters. A simple tune should give the 535i most of the V8's power anyway.

The biggest red flag is that used 550i's are cheaper.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Yes. The N55 is really solid, the N54 isn't bad beyond the injectors. The turbo V8 has charging problems, and they weren't allowed to software update because that would reduce fuel economy, so the "in maintenance" solution was a new battery with every oil change. I don't know if there's an aftermarket coding solution to that, but yikes.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yes

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the n54 has a laundry list of problems. the n55 makes some of those go away.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Has anyone driven the current Z4? I have one as a rental* in southern Spain for a road trip next week and don't know how liberal we can be with luggage. Looks like with the current soft top there's decent space?

* or similar, lol

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Yeah, but it doesn't randomly eat timing chain guides, or require battery sacrifice. Plus it's fairly stout for an older design if you want to tune it a bit.

The problem now with a lot of N54 cars is that the interior is probably falling apart. :(

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Thread title

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Alarbus posted:

Yeah, but it doesn't randomly eat timing chain guides, or require battery sacrifice. Plus it's fairly stout for an older design if you want to tune it a bit.
"extremely problematic engine is more problematic than very problematic engine"

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

"extremely problematic engine is more problematic than very problematic engine"

Now there's a thread title!

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

The n55 is a pretty decent engine. Working on it is ‘reasonably’ easy. On mine I’ve done spark plugs, coils, and valve cover gasket and they weren’t too bad.

Most common issues with them are oil leaks from the oil cooler (had mine done at 60k miles), valve cover (64k miles), and water pump (60k miles). I’ve had my 535 since 2014 and those are the only issues I’ve had.

You can pretty easily tell if the valve cover gasket needs to be changed by turning the heat on after it’s warmed up. If you smell burning while stationary or low speed it’s leaking.

If you’re going to tune it you might want to have a spare charge pipe on hand. The original one is plastic and is known to crack with increase boost. It’s super easy to change out and inexpensive.

I really need to be not lazy and sell mine but :effort:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

knox_harrington posted:

Has anyone driven the current Z4? I have one as a rental* in southern Spain for a road trip next week and don't know how liberal we can be with luggage. Looks like with the current soft top there's decent space?

* or similar, lol

Should be fun. Nobody in Spain drives anywhere and the roads (outside the medieval cities) are winding and scenic. Hope your Or Similar (automatic, is a toyota people carrier) is a fun drive through the hills, my takeaway from Spain is if you drive it like you stole it up those dirt & gravel roads, it's legally "a rally car"

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
So my alternator is definitely dead and it's going to be another 2.5 weeks until I can get my car in the shop. Since I don't have any other cars and I don't want to rent something for almost a month my solution has been to put my car on the battery tender all night, and drive 15 miles to and from work every day with all the accessories turned off. No radio, no AC (not even the fan on), no headlights, nothing. Surprisingly, this has worked for the last week, although it's been a sweaty experience since it's summer. Other than my comfort, there's been no difference in drivability and I haven't seen any weird lights or behavior that indicates the electrical system is failing. Anyone know what this is going to do to the battery over the long term? I have no idea how much it's being discharged over the course of a day but I do start at a supply voltage of 12.5-12.6v with the engine off and the battery fully charged and I end around 12.3.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
What is the voltage while you're actually driving around?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Lowclock posted:

What is the voltage while you're actually driving around?

12.2-12.3 to start, drops down to 12.0-12.1 by the time I get home from work

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Pack it up

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Anyone going to Lime Rock this weekend? I'll be there on Sunday in the E36.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Finally got around to installing the angel eye kit I bought years ago. Wired in some toggle switches so I can easily flip between white or amber. Think I'm leaning towards leaving them on amber though.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Heh, first time I've seen angel eyes that are trying to look like the stock ones in E92s, usually everyone swaps in massively white LEDs for those bulbs but I like the old-school non-LED look (in addition to keeping the car 100% stock). Looks good.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I think they look pretty neat without taking away from the mostly stock look of the car. I bought this kit years ago so I can't remember if they had the option for opaque rings back then but I like the segmented LED look on these, this picture shows it better.

My phone camera gets washed out with the white LEDs but they too have that segmented look in person.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

I'm digging the look of the yellows.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Grille too small

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What do you think I'm compensating for with the angel eyes?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just how "bad" of ride quality is an X3 if I'm coming from a WRX? A couple miles of bumpy dirt road is on our regular commute. Don't need it to be plush and cushiony, but people make it sound like it's horrible.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
From my experience with loaners, the x cars have a pretty soft suspension.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

Popete posted:

Thanks, I think they look pretty neat without taking away from the mostly stock look of the car. I bought this kit years ago so I can't remember if they had the option for opaque rings back then but I like the segmented LED look on these, this picture shows it better.

My phone camera gets washed out with the white LEDs but they too have that segmented look in person.

What brand? I need to replace the cheap aftermarket ones on my e39 M5…

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

My x3 m40i is rough off pavement. There's a dirt road by the recycling center that would be a shortcut for me, but I tried driving about 100 ft down it once and just turned around it was so bad.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

From my experience with loaners, the x cars have a pretty soft suspension.

Oh okay, sweet...

phosdex posted:

My x3 m40i is rough off pavement. There's a dirt road by the recycling center that would be a shortcut for me, but I tried driving about 100 ft down it once and just turned around it was so bad.

Ahhhh.... that sounds bad. As someone who has done a lot of dirt road in the WRX, how bad does it have to be for you to turn around?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Internet Explorer posted:

Oh okay, sweet...

Ahhhh.... that sounds bad. As someone who has done a lot of dirt road in the WRX, how bad does it have to be for you to turn around?

There is a difference with an m-sport/package model versus a normal one, an m package model like they have will have a stiffer, sportier suspension set up for roads way more than bumps.

Also I can’t imagine a regular X3 will be worse than a WRX in any way.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks for the answers so far. And how about the X3 m40i or M? We test drove an X3 m40i yesterday, but the dealership is a far drive and we couldn't test around where we'd normally be driving. And inventory is so short, had to test drive an employees X3 m40i at that. :(

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Thanks for the answers so far. And how about the X3 m40i or M? We test drove an X3 m40i yesterday, but the dealership is a far drive and we couldn't test around where we'd normally be driving. And inventory is so short, had to test drive an employees X3 m40i at that. :(

The ‘m’ means m-sport/m-package. Sort of like the difference between WRX and WRX STi, not quite but kind of

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I'm happy with my m40i. Having moved to a smaller city, I spend a lot of time at like 30 mph though.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

TheBacon posted:

The ‘m’ means m-sport/m-package. Sort of like the difference between WRX and WRX STi, not quite but kind of

Sorry, I got that part. I meant more on the ride quality. Does anyone who knows if it's a harsher ride than the WRX/WRX STi, similar, a little better, etc. I was a bit shocked by the response that someone felt they couldn't go on a dirt road with an X3 m40i.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TheBacon posted:

Also I can’t imagine a regular X3 will be worse than a WRX in any way.

This was my immediate thought too. Going from a Focus RS to even just a plain old rear end 3 series feels insanely more comfortable.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Here's the dang e61 I thought about buying back in July

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2010-bmw-535-66/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We have black stained wood in ours and I unintentionally made a frown face and leaned back when I saw the 80s chic jaguar wood trim in that thing :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Old cars are good and fun on the tight twisty stuff