Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Real talk, should I pick up splat 2 for cheap, or should I shell out for 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

nitsuga posted:

Good luck finding anyone still playing 2 for matchmaking

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

nitsuga posted:

It’s the same game but splatoon 2 has a lot more and better single player content. But yea the are basically just doing an EA sports game thing here and saying “your friends have abandoned you, you must purchase 3 or dieeeeee”

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The octo expansion is included in the online sub and is standalone iirc, why not give that a try and see if you like it

Spellman
May 31, 2011

nitsuga posted:

You should shell because it's alive and there will be people around your skill level everywhere

And there will be new Splatfests

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
You need the DLC or Expansion Pack Membership to utilize that Splatoon 2 single player though, don't ya?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It’s not standalone.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Ok! I’ll probably just take a chance on 3 then. Shooter but paintballs instead of bullets does sound like fun.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

nitsuga posted:

Ok! I’ll probably just take a chance on 3 then. Shooter but paintballs instead of bullets does sound like fun.

It's not even that; it's largely 'make the biggest mess'

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

You guys heard of this Splatoon game? Seems pretty decent so far, you should check it out tbh

hmm ok i will

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Procrastine posted:

Good luck finding anyone still playing 2 for matchmaking

a lot of kids play Splatoon and it's not too easy to convince mom to get a $60 game, I wouldn't imagine it being that dead

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

is there enough in spla3 to buy it if i'm not mega interested in the competitive pvp

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
So just for the single player? Probably not until it’s below $40

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

An Actual Princess posted:

is there enough in spla3 to buy it if i'm not mega interested in the competitive pvp
Absolutely.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

hatty posted:

So just for the single player? Probably not until it’s below $40

Which, as a first party title, won't ever happen until maybe on Black Friday, 2025.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

No way not for full price or maybe even 40

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I don't know what "competitive pvp" means, but i don't think it would include Salmon Run which is perhaps the best mode in the game and would justify the purchase price of Splatoon 3 even if it were $9001 so I'd recommend buying the game ASAP.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I don't know what "competitive pvp" means, but i don't think it would include Salmon Run which is perhaps the best mode in the game and would justify the purchase price of Splatoon 3 even if it were $9001 so I'd recommend buying the game ASAP.

salmon run is coop isn't it? that's the kind of thing i would be more interested in yes (along with any single player content)

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yep, co-op. It's available all the time now instead of the stupid schedule it had in the last game. Good times.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Xenoblade 3 is a good game to enjoy while being ravaged by COVID.

The characters are greatly concerned with their own mortality, and you can turn on auto-battle that way you don't have to press buttons or remain fully conscious during combat.

Also the characters are refreshingly emotionally mature and the speculative fiction elements are thus far interesting.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1568678791471570947

Rayman is coming to the new Mario & Rabbids as DLC.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Give us a new Rayman!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Has that been Rayman's hair this whole time? Thought they were ears and he was some weird dismembered rabbit

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Palmtree Panic posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1568678791471570947

Rayman is coming to the new Mario & Rabbids as DLC.

Has the game even come out though?

That's... not surprising for Ubisoft but also kind of lame. Just have him in the game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You'll be able to get the game + DLC for like $15 in a few months since Ubisoft.

Guessing this will be similar to the Donkey Kong DLC from the previous game?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Has the game even come out though?

That's... not surprising for Ubisoft but also kind of lame. Just have him in the game.

I'm not sure what you mean by "for Ubisoft" here but games annoucing DLC before launch is extremely common. That is the entire point of stuff like Season Passes.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Okay but what about announcing DLC 3 before DLC 1 and 2?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Thank you Ubisoft for reminding me instead of buying this when it comes out for $60 I should just buy this in six months with all dlc for $19

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ubishit

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the single player has some meat on its bones this time around, there’s a co-op horde mode, and you can play a trading card game against a jellyfish

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Also the PVP isn't inherently sweaty. You can treat it like Fortnite and hop in a match and splat a few dudes while leveling up your battle pass for the next unlock.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Salmon Run every moment you can

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

hatty posted:

Has that been Rayman's hair this whole time? Thought they were ears and he was some weird dismembered rabbit

You idiot. You fool. That’s his cool 90s hair and it’s always been that way

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Shammypants posted:

It’s the same game but splatoon 2 has a lot more and better single player content. But yea the are basically just doing an EA sports game thing here and saying “your friends have abandoned you, you must purchase 3 or dieeeeee”

Better single player content? The single player campaign in 2’s a snoozefest and doesn’t do a lot of interesting stuff, which 3 blows out of the water.

And if you’re talking about Octo Expansion, yeah it’s very good, but you have to shell out an additional $20 for that DLC and it’s not a part of the base campaign at all.

hatty posted:

The octo expansion is included in the online sub and is standalone iirc, why not give that a try and see if you like it

Doesn't work like that. You need the base game to use the DLC from the NSO expansion pack. (Also the expansion pack is $50 per year).

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 11, 2022

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Splat3n single player was quite good, still have some levels to clean up. But man does the story jump a shark. -------:haw:--------

But man, the bow sucks rear end! There's a later rail-riding mission where it recommends the bow and it's just so much harder then the rapid blaster because you basically need to land your shots really accurately so the bolts explode and hit all the boxes. If you're a bit off, you hit a box and your bolts dont explode.

The ink-caster grapple hook is great and I love they realized they had something really fun on their hands cause there's like 3 or for missions where you get unlimited of it and need to spider man around, it's great.

The sub weapon that bounces of walls felt like a miss to me - like, the mission built around it just didn't feel anywhere as satisfying or intuitive as I'd like. I feel like that thing is really awkward to use it's hard to see how it'd be useful in MP.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Oxyclean posted:

The sub weapon that bounces of walls felt like a miss to me - like, the mission built around it just didn't feel anywhere as satisfying or intuitive as I'd like. I feel like that thing is really awkward to use it's hard to see how it'd be useful in MP.

Generally in multiplayer you wouldn't really try to bounce it off of walls all the time like what that level asked. The bounce is more of a perk you can use to throw it around corners when there's no direct line of sight to your target. It's more of an instant 30 damage long range option that gives 5 seconds of tracking. It's a decent support sub weapon.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The line also lingers for a bit and gives tracking against anyone who walks into it, so it has some utility for controlling space and preventing flanks, too. I haven’t used it or seen it used enough to say how good it really is, but I could see it being useful in ranked.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Oxyclean posted:

Splat3n single player was quite good, still have some levels to clean up. But man does the story jump a shark. -------:haw:--------

But man, the bow sucks rear end! There's a later rail-riding mission where it recommends the bow and it's just so much harder then the rapid blaster because you basically need to land your shots really accurately so the bolts explode and hit all the boxes. If you're a bit off, you hit a box and your bolts dont explode.

The ink-caster grapple hook is great and I love they realized they had something really fun on their hands cause there's like 3 or for missions where you get unlimited of it and need to spider man around, it's great.

That mission took me 16 tries I know because I counted the game overs. That was my first time in the whole game I game overed too.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Does anyone have the invite link for the Nintendo Goons discord? Looking to play some splatoon with non-pubbies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Splatoon 2 is still worth playing if you haven’t touched it before just for the octo expansion imo, it’s an excellent piece of single-player content.