Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Literally can't use them? Or isn't optimal? Do guns have a dex requirement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Literally can't use them? Or isn't optimal? Do guns have a dex requirement?

Yes, guns are dex-based. I'm playing a gunslinging ranger in an Eberron game and the range is super useful since we're on the frontier, this might not be an issue if it's an urban game

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

We're playing Oracle of War. Dunno too much but the character concept I had was warforged created to hunt deserters/high value targets during the war, but was created toward the end of the war so never saw use in it's intended capacity. Took the ranger variant to get Expertise in Athletics for grappling.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
Melee ranger with a spear and dueling fighting style/polearm mastery feat. Cast hunters' mark on enemies and abuse your many attacks. A hunter should work well for that. Or a swarmkeeper.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Rubberduke posted:

Melee ranger with a spear and dueling fighting style/polearm mastery feat. Cast hunters' mark on enemies and abuse your many attacks. A hunter should work well for that. Or a swarmkeeper.

I really like this and I'm wondering if I should do custom lineage skinned as warforged

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
What I did as a DM was have everyone pick something other than variant human or custom lineage and start them off with a free feat. Also switching around attribute bonuses was fair game as per the optional rules. That lead to people actually playing interesting race/class combinations and cool character builds.

Maybe talk to your DM about this. If he doesn't want it, custom lineage is a good option.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The DM is pretty by the book unfortunately.
The game I run I let players do ASI and a feat on 4s. Next game I'll probably allow a level 1 feat as well.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Having run a few feat at level 1 campaigns, I would definitely suggest you disallow people from choosing "[X] Master" feats. The weapon ones make early combat too swingy and the armor ones make combat trivial. It also makes sense that a level 1 adventurer would not be a master of any specific skillset.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Zurreco posted:

Having run a few feat at level 1 campaigns, I would definitely suggest you disallow people from choosing "[X] Master" feats. The weapon ones make early combat too swingy and the armor ones make combat trivial. It also makes sense that a level 1 adventurer would not be a master of any specific skillset.

i dont think i understand this one. great weapon master maybe but like, i can not imagine 4 weapon proficiencies or 1 higher AC with 16 dexterity on medium armour breaking the game. same with the DR for heavy armour master - blocking 3 damage from all nonmagical sources is cool, but if you take 8 damage reduced to 5 at level 1 you are still in immediate danger. plus what if an enemy uses a spell?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
First round of combat in a 1st level 5e PbP and things are already looking good for the heroes; by which I mean the brave little warriors only attempting to earn a living ambushing this wagon load of supplies.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

pog boyfriend posted:

i dont think i understand this one. great weapon master maybe but like, i can not imagine 4 weapon proficiencies or 1 higher AC with 16 dexterity on medium armour breaking the game. same with the DR for heavy armour master - blocking 3 damage from all nonmagical sources is cool, but if you take 8 damage reduced to 5 at level 1 you are still in immediate danger. plus what if an enemy uses a spell?

As I said, it's from experience mostly. We had a session 1 for Hoard of the Dragon Queen (where attrition is super important to the story) become irrelevant because the Paladin with Heavy Armor Master was tanking entire fights/traps and taking 0 damage. I've also seen level 1 GWM Barbarians absolutely murder higher CR encounters early game without any real tactics or good rolls involved. Eventually it is apparent that the feats which directly influence damage taken/received create imbalances that are absorbed at later levels.

It's not often that you're running into CR <1 enemies that aren't doing bludgeoning/piercing/slashing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pog boyfriend posted:

Also compared to feats like Fey Touched or Magic Initiate which turn you into an x-man I think some nice combat bonuses are warranted if thats what you want to invest into.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Zurreco posted:

As I said, it's from experience mostly. We had a session 1 for Hoard of the Dragon Queen (where attrition is super important to the story) become irrelevant because the Paladin with Heavy Armor Master was tanking entire fights/traps and taking 0 damage. I've also seen level 1 GWM Barbarians absolutely murder higher CR encounters early game without any real tactics or good rolls involved. Eventually it is apparent that the feats which directly influence damage taken/received create imbalances that are absorbed at later levels.

It's not often that you're running into CR <1 enemies that aren't doing bludgeoning/piercing/slashing.
yeah i could see that heavy armour master would break modules which are less flexible with encounters. great weapon master is an s tier feat so i am with you on that. i only run homebrew so my experience is different from many others but in general if you are a DM and allowed to fudge numbers and play around, if a low level PC is too strong with ham you can start throwing in apprentice wizards, give goblins torches that they use for fire attacks like hollows in dark souls, etc. plenty of options for you. just dont forget to make the feat strong. every npc should not counter their feat, just every now and then. if the paladin takes the armour feat and tanks an entire encounter taking 3 damage they are going to be very happy

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Yeah, feats should never break balance but should totally shine on occasion. I took HAM as a late level half feat in Call from the Deep and my DM ran me through a trap that did 100 instances of d4 damage. I think I took like 18 points of damage after reductions.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Zurreco posted:

Yeah, feats should never break balance but should totally shine on occasion. I took HAM as a late level half feat in Call from the Deep and my DM ran me through a trap that did 100 instances of d4 damage. I think I took like 18 points of damage after reductions.

A good dm, shooting the monk

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I made a Giff war cleric with a pistol and a shield. I just got level 4 and I'm thinking of taking a feat, but I can't decide between war caster or sharpshooter. I'll probably aim to get both eventually, but which should I prioritize? Is there a different feat I should look into?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

How sticky is your DM with somatic components? War caster is amazing if your hands are going to be full because it lets you still be able to cast but if you're DM doesn't bother with somatics then sharpshooter is probably better.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Level 1-2 5e is fine if a little bland but I recommend any DM use fixed damage instead of rolled damage for early monsters. It's way more predictable and manageable when your kobolds just do 2 damage every time they hit.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Where can I find the information to run Oracle of War? Seems like a neat campaign, but it also seems hard to find stuff for it. Is it just the DMsGuild stuff?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

it’s the DM’s Guild stuff, yeah. it was released piecemeal as a storyline/campaign for Wizards’ organized play program—if you’re interested in running it as a home campaign try googling for it, I think people (on Reddit in particular lol) have done a lot of work filling in the gaps. there are also plenty of opportunities to do poo poo in between the modules, which is what “salvage missions” are.

note that OoW is combat-heavy, as is the case with the majority of 5e organized play stuff, because that’s where all the rules are.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Going back to suggestions to improve Monks, I've been toying with this idea (along with increasing the amount of Ki points a monk gets).

Change Patient Defense from:

quote:

You can spend 1 ki point to take the Dodge action as a bonus action on your turn.

... to ...

quote:

You can spend 1 ki point to take the Dodge action as a bonus action on your turn or as a reaction on any turn, including your own.

This would give Monks basically a martial Shield spell and would be very thematically fitting.

E:. If this belongs in the playtest thread, let me know.

Ginger Beer Belly fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 10, 2022

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Our group needs a healer and I thought I would volunteer, but want to give it a dark twist. What would be the best way to create a Nurgle Priest/ Cleric?

I was thinking about seeing if our DM would let healing players cause a dice roll that might give them a rotten stench, followed by a cloud of flies, pus weeping scars, etc, but Incould use a hand

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

Our group needs a healer and I thought I would volunteer, but want to give it a dark twist. What would be the best way to create a Nurgle Priest/ Cleric?

I was thinking about seeing if our DM would let healing players cause a dice roll that might give them a rotten stench, followed by a cloud of flies, pus weeping scars, etc, but Incould use a hand

if you're playing in the forgotten realms, you want to be a cleric of talona

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Running a Circle of Blight Druid as a healer could be a lot of fun as well.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’ve already started to craft my character voice, inspired by that Mouth of Sauron deleted scene from RotK

I think I’ll go for it

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
If my character has a shield equipped and is grappling, can they still do an attack? I don’t see any rules explicitly saying stating the grappling hand is occupied and thus unable to attack but logically it seems like both hands are occupied.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Summit posted:

If my character has a shield equipped and is grappling, can they still do an attack? I don’t see any rules explicitly saying stating the grappling hand is occupied and thus unable to attack but logically it seems like both hands are occupied.

You need a free hand to grapple, but you can always do an unarmed strike with a kick or headbutt if both hands are occupied.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Grapples are underpowered so letting it happen more often is fine. RAW is vague so I run that you need a free hand (or comparable prehensile limb like Loxodon trunk) to initiate a grapple but not to maintain the grapple.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Zurreco posted:

Grapples are underpowered so letting it happen more often is fine. RAW is vague so I run that you need a free hand (or comparable prehensile limb like Loxodon trunk) to initiate a grapple but not to maintain the grapple.

Or just be a Thri-Kreen

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

One of my players is a barbarian/monk and this is his backstory:

quote:

El Toro (Grod Marin) is a luchador from the slums of Waterdeep. He grew up as the son of a poor half-orc family with 4 siblings. Most of his brothers and sisters still reside there. He was well regarded in the amateur circuits for many years before he was able to debut in the premier wrestling league. His career was cut short before his first year was up when a famous elven luchador, Celedral Benoit, tragically murdered his family after going out for archery practice. Celedral then hung himself with his bowstring. El Toro was one of the few wrestlers who spoke out in the aftermath of this against magical doping, which the league pushed on the performers. For this the industry blacklisted him despite being recognized for speaking out by the fans of the sport. Since then he has done odd jobs, mostly dock-work. He misses the days where he was the hero the people cheered on and longs for a life path where he might make a difference...

And I'm letting him get away with all sorts of wrestling themed grapples and stuff. Last session a Clockwork Horror was running out of the room down a vertical shaft and he grappled it and pulled it off the wall so they both fell through the gravity plane and were wrestling in midair it was great.

He also refuses to take performance enhancing potions

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Things I look for in PC backgrounds: making light of an irl tragic murder-suicide

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Arivia posted:

Things I look for in PC backgrounds: making light of an irl tragic murder-suicide

Then you’re gonna love my Gnomish bard Dorphil Hartman

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
RAW is not *that* vague. Italics mine.

quote:

Using at least one free hand, you try to seize the target by making a grapple check instead of an attack roll

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

One of my players is a barbarian/monk and this is his backstory:

And I'm letting him get away with all sorts of wrestling themed grapples and stuff. Last session a Clockwork Horror was running out of the room down a vertical shaft and he grappled it and pulled it off the wall so they both fell through the gravity plane and were wrestling in midair it was great.

He also refuses to take performance enhancing potions

My wrestling themed barbarian clotheslined a dude off a balcony, and then followed it up with an elbow drop, OOOOOOOOH YEAH!

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

nelson posted:

RAW is not *that* vague. Italics mine.

Yes, but do you need a free hand after successfully seizing the target? Or can you just drab a maul and start hitting them with it while keeping your hold on them with... your feet I guess? I'd never allow that but it's not explicitly disallowed.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Staltran posted:

Yes, but do you need a free hand after successfully seizing the target? Or can you just drab a maul and start hitting them with it while keeping your hold on them with... your feet I guess? I'd never allow that but it's not explicitly disallowed.

Right. It says you need a free hand to grapple but do you need to keep it free to maintain the grapple? Sounds like it’s ambiguous enough I’d need to clarify with DM.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Once an entity enters your sphere of graviton influence they’re bound to you for the passage of 10 grains of sand. It’s simple physica.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
I feel like the common sense answer is standing yes, prone no, but that's probably not the case on those grounds alone

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

My plan with this character is to grapple then bonus action shove with Shield Master to knock them down. I was just wondering if I could attack them on my next turn without releasing the grapple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Summit posted:

My plan with this character is to grapple then bonus action shove with Shield Master to knock them down. I was just wondering if I could attack them on my next turn without releasing the grapple.

If you have unarmed fighting style from Fighter or Monk or drop the shield to draw a weapon, yes.