Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Old Boot posted:

Sure seems like we're doing out best to Not.

Best thing to do is start urging anyone under 20, maybe even under 30, to check their vaccination status. I forget when it stopped being compulsory but, currently, it's not.

People immunized before 2000 got the oral polio vaccine (OPV), which has a higher rate of complications but is also more protective (versus the inactivated polio vaccine, IPV).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

This has all been enhanced by the proliferation of smartphones with high bandwidth high monthly cap mobile data plans.

56 kbps ought to have been enough for anybody.

Dude, back when universities had a T-1 lines blazing 1.5mbps for the entire school, whackos used the internet to create the Heavens Gate cult and got 40 people to commit mass organized suicide.

56k was too much. It should have stopped at 9600 baud, and you can’t convince me otherwise.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I got the drops under the tongue. I swear I can remember the taste of the OPV.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo the Heavens Gate website is still up in all its 1997 glory.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I want to know who's been paying their hosting bills this whole time.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Midjack posted:

They apparently took out life insurance policies for everyone. $50m will buy you a lot of web 1.0 hosting time.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Midjack posted:

Not exactly a great source, but: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/two-decades-after-heavens-gate-10158830

quote:

What wasn’t is that in the days before the suicide, two group members were briefed about a side mission. They would remain on Earth – the last surviving members – and their job was to maintain the Heaven’s Gate website exactly as it was on the day the last suicides took place.

And for two decades, the lone Gaters have diligently continued their mission, answered queries, paid bills and dealt with problems.

While the pair refuse to give their identity, they are believed to be Mark and Sarah King, a couple in their sixties, from Arizona, who left the cult HQ in the late 80s and set up a company called the TELAH Foundation, which stands for The Evolutionary Level Above Human.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Hannibal Rex posted:

Chill out, dickwad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

smh Hekk, haven't you seen Terminator 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpEDSvaP_-8&t=10s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v23H7c149HM&t=42s

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Lol I haven’t seen that movie since the 90s. Whelp prolly won’t be the last sixer someone eats because I misunderstand a post.

c'est la vie

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

A Podcaster I listen to got in touch with them, they'll answer questions if you're polite.

I have a soft spot for Heaven's Gate, being one of the few cults that wasn't entirely based on the leader wanting to gently caress a whole bunch of (usually underage) women.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Pretty sure the military sticks you for literally everything imaginable including polio if you hadn't already had it as a child.

The Navy (at least circa 2010) ignores vaccination records and does an antibody test then jabs you for anything you don't have antibodies for, for example I had chicken pox as a kid, but they still jabbed me for it based on my antibodies being below the threshold.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

First part of IK stands for Idiot, can't help it Hekk didn't have his daily recommended intake of crayons.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Hekk posted:

Lol I haven’t seen that movie since the 90s. Whelp prolly won’t be the last sixer someone eats because I misunderstand a post.

c'est la vie

it's only the Citizen Kane of movies, I can't believe you don't have every line memorized

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Who was paying for the domain and hosting still?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kazinsal posted:

This has all been enhanced by the proliferation of smartphones with high bandwidth high monthly cap mobile data plans.

56 kbps ought to have been enough for anybody.

56k was enough for me to play Aliens Online back in the 90s so this checks out.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

56k was enough for me to play Aliens Online back in the 90s so this checks out.

I spent far too much of my life playing WoW on 56k from '04 to, like '09, so

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

56k was too much. It should have stopped at 9600 baud

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I'll split the difference and call 28.8k good enough.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Wouldn't the difference be 33.6?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Something I was thinking about, because it's BBC time on the old NPR station.

Biden has already said he's going to QE2s funeral. I can't wait to see a picture of Biden, Obama, Bush and the Clintons hanging out in London while Trump has all manner of feds up his rear end.

I can't wait for the butthurt bullshit he spouts at a rally after the old lady is entombed.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Wouldn't the difference be 33.6?

28.8k is very nearly half of 56k, (28.8*2 is 57.6), it was not quite the absolute limit you could fit via trellis modulation, but it was drat close. They squeezed a bit more to make 33.6k bidirectional modems but they had to rework ISP/telco infrastructure entirely to hit 56k/33.6k to people's houses. Further refinement of V.90 resulted in V.92 which was the last telephone modem spec which allowed 56k/48k connections.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 10, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

orange juche posted:

28.8k is very nearly half of 56k, (28.8*2 is 57.6), it was not quite the absolute limit you could fit via trellis modulation, but it was drat close. They squeezed a bit more to make 33.6k bidirectional modems but they had to rework ISP/telco infrastructure entirely to hit 56k/33.6k to people's houses. Further refinement of V.90 resulted in V.92 which was the last telephone modem spec which allowed 56k/48k connections.

They were saying the difference between 9.6kbps and 56kbps is 33.6. That's not right, though, cause the halfway point between 9600 and 56000 is 32800.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

orange juche posted:

First part of IK stands for Idiot, can't help it Hekk didn't have his daily recommended intake of crayons.

Probe reason didn't cite marines nor crayon's, voted 1 FV, smdh

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

14.4 was good enough to play Doom2 and Duke Nukem3d multiplayer, use email and look up random poo poo online and honestly it never got much more fun than that anyway.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Nice! posted:

They were saying the difference between 9.6kbps and 56kbps is 33.6. That's not right, though, cause the halfway point between 9600 and 56000 is 32800.

The halfway point is √(56000⁄9600) × 9600 ≈ 23186. :colbert:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
How much do you need for rollback netcode?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That Works posted:

14.4 was good enough to play Doom2 and Duke Nukem3d multiplayer, use email and look up random poo poo online and honestly it never got much more fun than that anyway.

playing duke3d on a lan on that football field map mp was some of the finest gaming that's ever existed

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

silvergoose posted:

playing duke3d on a lan on that football field map mp was some of the finest gaming that's ever existed

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Nerds don't have shoebox calves from carrying their 50 pound CRT monitor up and down the basement stairs of their friends house anymore

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Nerds don't have shoebox calves from carrying their 50 pound CRT monitor up and down the basement stairs of their friends house anymore

That heavy magnetic clunk and following thrum of degaussing a CRT monitor was one of the most atomic age sounds, I swear.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I managed to get an entire computer lab of 9th graders doing that in succession because i had done it to fix my screen and they all wanted to know how

ardiem
Apr 26, 2022

That reminds me how much magnets could gently caress up CRTs and leave dark blotches that couldn’t be degaussed away.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Arrath posted:

That heavy magnetic clunk and following thrum of degaussing a CRT monitor was one of the most atomic age sounds, I swear.

Sitting in front of a particle accelerator for hours at a time is pretty drat atomic age.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

silvergoose posted:

Counterpoint: Goldeneye

Complex, Licence to Kill, turbo mode, proximity mines

House rules:
No guns, slappers and mines only
Eyes on your own drat corner of the 25" TV
NO FUCKIN ODDJOB

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Discussion Quorum posted:

Counterpoint: Goldeneye

Complex, Licence to Kill, turbo mode, proximity mines

House rules:
No guns, slappers and mines only
Eyes on your own drat corner of the 25" TV
NO FUCKIN ODDJOB

:hmmyes:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Discussion Quorum posted:

NO FUCKIN ODDJOB

This was everyone's house rule.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
My house rule was I always play as the helicopter pilot and noscope any scrub that plays Oddjob

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Did anyone else play Timesplitters or am I rowing that boat alone?

For reference, the 2004ish Timesplitters. It had an interesting multiplayer deathmatch.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Still amazed how it wasn’t for years after that it was revealed there was a code for extra characters. With the sheer number of players would have assumed someone would have taken it apart, or a developer would have leaked it.

Really dug Perfect Dark single player but in my experience multiplayer was only fun for folks who really knew the game, unlike goldeneye where a casual fan could figure out how to move and shoot, without having to worry about secondary fire modes or why everything was blurry (even when they respawned because of a glitch with how poisoning worked)

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 10, 2022

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ardiem posted:

That reminds me how much magnets could gently caress up CRTs and leave dark blotches that couldn’t be degaussed away.

They can almost always be fixed, you just need some finesse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOyKuQf36TI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toG71oIBWGM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

There are days when I miss my 21" Trinitron

There are never days that my back misses it. That fucker was drat close to 100lbs