Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Phigs posted:

The perfect silent protagonist was the guy in GTA3 because he was just pure mercenary who just did whatever someone told him to do. Nobody needed to give a poo poo about his opinions.

Ah, the Metal Gear Solid V approach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I remember the player from the original Saint's Row was mostly silent but would occasionally drop a one liner that would be more effective because you're not expecting it from a mute murder machine.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So, SD Gundam Battle Alliance makes me mad in the dumbest way. This game borrows a lot from the Gundam Breaker franchise, but it just does literally all of it worse, in every way. So the result is a really mediocre game that feels clunky and chunky to play and every mechanic and system is half assed at best; like there's an entire portion of the melee combat dedicated to knocking enemies into the air and doing air combos for more damage and better stun times except, you know, every time you hit the attack button your character does a whole rear end combo, it takes like a whole second to go from any animation to jumping and there is literally no way to automatically pursue an enemy into the air once you launch them. None of these issues are present in the breaker franchise, which so much of this game just rips straight from, badly. Gundam Breaker 3 is so loving smooth and fun to play, even the big giant boss fights are awesome; while in this game they're the worst parts because they poo poo out damage and if you're dumb enough to play as a melee character you just kind of can't hit them for half of the fight because your jump is cripplingly short and you have no way to get higher and your boost is barely faster than your run.

They really should have just ported Gundam Breaker 3 because it's still one of the best loving gundam games, even its multiplayer was fun as hell and for some inexplicable reason bandai just loving hates it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It's an MMO so probably comes with the territory but the player character in FFXIV just nodding and grinning through long cutscenes got old fast.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

The main character having a voice is my least favorite thing about fallout 4.

This make it worth it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WPb-u6FXjc

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Phigs posted:

I may come to like Neir: Automata, I'm already feeling a bit less down on the combat than I was, but that tutorial level was not a good first impression. There was one section where I was put at some weird camera angle and moving my analog stick towards the enemy had my bullets hit the ground right next to my character.

The tutorial level isn’t a good representation of what to expect from the game and hilariously, is INSANELY hard on higher difficulty settings

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Frank Frank posted:

The tutorial level isn’t a good representation of what to expect from the game and hilariously, is INSANELY hard on higher difficulty settings

The early rest of the game doesn't make a good impression either. The first 2 quests are fetch random bullshit from enemies just to set up shops. And you have to run pretty far to get to them, with nothing of interest between the (specifically assigned for each quest) areas.

If I hadn't decided to play through the whole game before I started it there's a good chance I'd have quit by now, and seriously thinking about it if I hadn't. It's kinda amazing how badly some games deliver on their first impression.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Necrothatcher posted:

It's an MMO so probably comes with the territory but the player character in FFXIV just nodding and grinning through long cutscenes got old fast.

Nods, punches palm.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The stuff from the early quests isn't really far iirc.

How far are you? poo poo gets crazy (and good) really early. Also, the soundtrack is great.

(maybe stop looking for reasons not to like the game and just go with it?)

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

kazil posted:

Lol don't be a fuckhead

Nier automata never clicked with me either, the start is pretty boring for a fair bit, and I was/am super keen on it based in what I've heard

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If the start of a game ain't grabbing me I'm throwing that poo poo in the dumpster.

What is the storybook bullshit, Resident Evil 8? I thought this game was rated M? Get the gently caress outta here.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

And you don't even get a gun! If I wanted to slowly wander around my house looking at stuff, I'd get up off the couch.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

BB2K posted:

Lol don't be a fuckhead

Nier automata never clicked with me either, the start is pretty boring for a fair bit, and I was/am super keen on it based in what I've heard

Sorry to come off like a dick. I meant, if OP is deciding to finish the game no matter what, it's better to enjoy the good stuff instead of nitpicking the small stuff.

It's ok to not like games.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

kazil posted:

Sorry to come off like a dick. I meant, if OP is deciding to finish the game no matter what, it's better to enjoy the good stuff instead of nitpicking the small stuff.

It's ok to not like games.

Sorry to be rude too, I just get where's he coming from, it's a game I wanted to love and was genuinely looking for reasons to like but it just never grabbed me

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

kazil posted:

The stuff from the early quests isn't really far iirc.

How far are you? poo poo gets crazy (and good) really early. Also, the soundtrack is great.

I enjoy nitpicking games when they do things that I don't think are good and reading other people's nitpicks, it's why I like this thread more than its sister thread.

The start is genuinely bad and I think it's amazing that it is that bad. Especially with the whole Steam refund thing these days. I'm just past the boss fight in the desert and I think that's the first time (plus the stuff leading up to it) that the game presented it was actually going somewhere. That there might be an actual hook to the story and you're not just bashing up random robots forever. And it's past the refund window. That's crazy.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Generation Zero: Gigantic map. Lots of little towns and farmhouses. There must be thousands of structures in this game world. And they're all one of like five loving variations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

credburn posted:

Generation Zero: Gigantic map. Lots of little towns and farmhouses. There must be thousands of structures in this game world. And they're all one of like five loving variations.

Man I bounced off that game hard. I felt like I had seen all it had to offer one hour in. A real shame and I bet some of the bigger things are cool to fight, but

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tapping my finger on my desk impatiently as I cross minute 3 of FF7Remake and the game doesn't show any sign of letting me press any buttons within the next two and half hours

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Evilreaver posted:

Man I bounced off that game hard. I felt like I had seen all it had to offer one hour in. A real shame and I bet some of the bigger things are cool to fight, but

I'm like six hours in and so far it's a reeeeeaaaaal slow burn. The first three hours were exciting as hell because I barely ever had any ammunition, and enemies would annihilate me so quickly. It made every encounter so dicey, it made stealth meaningful, it made the enemy terrifying. Now, after a few perk upgrades, I'm overencumbered because every lunchbox I open has 90 rounds of FMJ rounds and ammunition has weight in this game. Now most bots are pretty easy. I just charge up to them, unload an entire clip, duck behind a rock so I can reload, run back up and unload again and the medium dudes usually go down.

I'm giving this game a few more hours and if something interesting that actually introduces some new mechanic doesn't happen soon I'm bailing. Judging by the size of this game world, this is going to be like a 70 hour investment, but I feel like the last five hours have been exactly the same routine as the first hour, and I'm not doing that forever.

Like, one other thing that is frustrating about this game is that I'm 6ish hours in and still have not found any other recipe than the first two that are given to you as rewards for reaching the part in the game where you can craft.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
War Tales has really limited music.

The good news is I’ve muted its music and am just playing Battle Brothers music over it and that’s the best of both worlds.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Generation Zero is a neat little game in theory. In practice it feels incredibly unfinished and unpolished. The inventory menu, despite having been improved in a fairly recent patch, is still garbage on M+K. The game world feels incredibly empty. Like, every so often you'll come across the aftermath of a battle between the military and the robots, but those are the neatest things I've found. I found an airfield and it was occupied by hostile robots (neat! Good loot, right?) that turned out the be effectively DLC enemies and thus took almost all my ammo to take down, for pretty much the same reward as if I had looted a farmhouse.

And then there's the weapon modifications. I like having options. I don't like how they're progression gated, so you always start with bad ones and slowly get better ones as the game goes on. No super lucky purple-quality scope for you, you get to deal with the dusty cracked one for hours! And then there's the arbitrary restrictions on some of them. Oh, you finally found the antimaterial rifle and want to put a scope on it? Hope you have one that has a zoom of 6-12x, because you clearly wouldn't ever want to use anything with less magnification on it!

It also says that to get the rare components off robots you have to not destroy the part of the robot it comes from. You want lenses, don't shoot heads. Okay, fair, but the robots are all bullet sponges even when you shoot their vulnerable bits so it's a slog. I've spent over a hundred rounds of AP 5.56 rounds just to kill one of the higher level medium robots more than once.

And the dev has said they're not adding any more vehicles, so you get the bike or you walk. And the bike is Not Good.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Phigs posted:

I enjoy nitpicking games when they do things that I don't think are good and reading other people's nitpicks, it's why I like this thread more than its sister thread.

The start is genuinely bad and I think it's amazing that it is that bad. Especially with the whole Steam refund thing these days. I'm just past the boss fight in the desert and I think that's the first time (plus the stuff leading up to it) that the game presented it was actually going somewhere. That there might be an actual hook to the story and you're not just bashing up random robots forever. And it's past the refund window. That's crazy.

I refunded Nier:A the first time around after losing to the first boss fight before you get the ability to save - it was kind of a dick on keyboard/mouse and having to go back and do it all again was ridiculous.

Really enjoyed the second time around after buying a controller though

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, it makes sense narratively but given Nier Automata is also the game that just literally lets you buy achievements with ingame currency they really could have just did something cheeky like fast forward through everything you’ve already played if you died in the intro level.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Oddly, the thought that the game loving with you is entirely intentional makes it easier to deal with, at least it did for me.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Power to the people who like Nier: Automata but it really was just mediocre based on the dev team.

The story wasn’t anywhere near as crazy as Yoko Taro’s previous work, and the combat wasn’t anywhere near as good as Platinum’s other work.

The only thing that stood out to me is the music.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Agents are GO! posted:

Oddly, the thought that the game loving with you is entirely intentional makes it easier to deal with, at least it did for me.

If it's trying and failing to do something that's one thing, if it's trying and succeeding to do something that's antagonistic that's a whole other thing. Both can be interesting of course, and it's not always clear whether it's one or the other.

You can infer sometimes though: Metal Gear Solid V doesn't accidentally have an hour long tutorial, for example. Or, more germanely, they didn't forget to put checkpoints in the Nier Automata intro level. If it's deliberate then it was done by someone who believed it should be done, and if it annoys you then they either decided the possibility of annoying the player was an acceptable price to pay, or they wanted you to be annoyed. Confronted with either of these possibilities, I want to know more!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Nier: Automata owns and is one of my favorite games to come out of the last few years. I dunno how you can say it’s not as wild as some of Yoko Taro’s other works when you have a scene where a bunch of clunky robots try to simulate loving in a giant robot orgy pile and somehow give birth to a buff nude prettyboy calling himself Adam who then produces another buff prettyboy named Eve after getting stabbed and the two of them spend the rest of the first route trying to kill you while coming to terms with the concepts of existentialism and what it means to be human

Personally I was hooked from the start with all the jumps in game genre and perspective shifts, and the game settling into a calmer pace immediately afterward was a nice reprieve because the game already promised some wild balls to the wall action coming up in the future. Like, I get the complaints about the combat not being quite up to the level of some of Platinum’s other works, but it looked cool as hell and it wasn’t really the focus of the game anyway. If I have any real complaints it’s that some of the side quests were oddly balanced with some becoming available way before your level could really handle them, which was quite frustrating

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don’t think the side quest thing is that bad if only because B Route is a thing, but they really just should have relegated those to that route to begin with instead of just putting what’s basically NG+ level enemies in a quest since there’s no reason to assume there’s gonna be another Director’s Cut remix of the campaign if you’re not familiar with Cavia.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

A lot or all of those quests were still doable within route A, you just had to hold off on them for like 5-10 hours until you leveled up a bunch from continuing with the story. It was just a weird design choice even by Yoko Taro standards

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Normally 'banger tracks in a soundtrack' is a good thing, but Crypt of the Necrodancer's first zone music is so much better than its second that it makes the second zone legitimately harder, because I keep wanting to put on something else instead.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

Tapping my finger on my desk impatiently as I cross minute 3 of FF7Remake and the game doesn't show any sign of letting me press any buttons within the next two and half hours

Bringing back xenogears disc 2 memories :allears:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

JackSplater posted:

And the dev has said they're not adding any more vehicles, so you get the bike or you walk. And the bike is Not Good.

Haha wait, so the bike is the only vehicle? You open a window where you have to select your vehicle. It looks like it should be full of options as I progress through the game.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

RareAcumen posted:

When I was younger, I legitimately got frustrated at the 20 minute cutscene intro to Banjo-Tooie. By the time the game actually turned me loose to start the game, I was too annoyed to want to keep playing and I wound up quitting before even meeting King Jingaling in the hub. To this day, patience is nowhere near my best quality.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I patiently watch every cutscene and never skip because I'm not a barbarian.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I think star ocean 3 is better than star ocean 2 entirely because of the cutscene skip.

If I could skip Narl yammering or the relationship drama in the tournament then I would reconsider.

You might say it's the thing dragging the game down.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

Back in my day you couldn't skip the cutscenes :corsair:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Quicker just to skip every cut scene and dialogue and then post a billion questions on the forums

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ilmucche posted:

I hate that in Forbidden West, only some cutscenes can be skipped in the good way, others have bad skipping.

If the scene/talking is part of interacting with an NPC through, like, a dialogue tree, you can text the subtitles and hit X to skip to the next line of dialogue.

But if it's like a mission start/end and it's just the NPCs telling your show XYZ and there won't be a dialog tree(well, wheel) at the end of it...you can't skip just the current line to go to that next one, you can only skip the WHOLE cut scene.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ilmucche posted:

Bringing back xenogears disc 2 memories :allears:

Kind of a bummer they keep re-releasing remakes and remasters of their other games but will never do a Xenogears remaster. Just clean up the graphics, make them sharper in hd , and complete the second disc. Is that so much to ask? Also redo the platforming on that tower of Babel . You'd get a random encounter jumping between platforms, then when the battle was over you'd have lost all momentum and fall down to the very bottom.

A weird thing abut Xenogears to me was Billy having a special attack that was his Xeno putting his dad in a bullet and shooting it at an enemy. He talked about his dad like he was dead, but somehow he was always ressurected and then shot at a giant crab boss.