Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Is that spiritual sequel the main EQ guy was working on just vaporware?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

A Strange Aeon posted:

Pantheon, It was announced in 2014 and is currently in pre-alpha. So basically Star Citizen, without the funding. There's a thread on it in this subforum.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

I think the challenge with new mmo development has part to do with the splintering of the genre. People who like to craft things have world builders, people who like to pvp have mobas and battle royales, people who like to chat have vrchat and discord (really), etc. Taking all those activities and bundling it into a product that will make money is tough. This is further hampered by the fact that the premium development tools (unity, unreal) don’t come designed to really support mmo level population/ persistence- at least as far as I can tell. To that end the barrier to enter the market is high and it’s already saturated somewhat by other products that have f2p options. You may start to see some new competition enter the market because of the nft hype but I don’t think those have a strong chance of surviving.

Emulated eq is in a fairly good spot. You have both classic (through velious, p99) and planes of power (TAKP) options available. The biggest thing missing at moment is a single box enforced planes of power server- something like this will probably come out in the next 12-18 months.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

milkman dad posted:

I think the challenge with new mmo development has part to do with the splintering of the genre. People who like to craft things have world builders, people who like to pvp have mobas and battle royales, people who like to chat have vrchat and discord (really), etc. Taking all those activities and bundling it into a product that will make money is tough. This is further hampered by the fact that the premium development tools (unity, unreal) don’t come designed to really support mmo level population/ persistence- at least as far as I can tell. To that end the barrier to enter the market is high and it’s already saturated somewhat by other products that have f2p options. You may start to see some new competition enter the market because of the nft hype but I don’t think those have a strong chance of surviving.

Emulated eq is in a fairly good spot. You have both classic (through velious, p99) and planes of power (TAKP) options available. The biggest thing missing at moment is a single box enforced planes of power server- something like this will probably come out in the next 12-18 months.

God drat I miss EQMac.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

nwin posted:

God drat I miss EQMac.

Roll on TAKP! It’s like it never changed, honestly. At least half the population 3-boxes though so if you’re not into that you may not like it. I played it for a bit in late 2019 (luclin era) but went back to p1999 as I had more friends there and managing 2 emulated eq presences was too much work.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

milkman dad posted:

Roll on TAKP! It’s like it never changed, honestly. At least half the population 3-boxes though so if you’re not into that you may not like it. I played it for a bit in late 2019 (luclin era) but went back to p1999 as I had more friends there and managing 2 emulated eq presences was too much work.

Yeah I did that for a bit but grew tired of everyone 3-boxing.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

A Strange Aeon posted:

His death a few years back probably didn’t help.

Re: 3 boxing and boxing in general; the boxing cultural became less odious to me when I realized the pickup group scene usually resulted in groups with quiet grinding anyway (so no difference from me grinding on my own) or the conversations usually end up being some variant of “kids these days, can you believe this pronoun poo poo?” Like every time. Because a lot of the game pop is old boomers.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 8, 2022

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
I wonder if TAKP enforcing single boxing would grow or shrink its player base over the long term.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
It's not just the boxing, it's the camera stuff also. I know there is a hack to get around it, but that just makes it dumber.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I liked one-boxing because people would generally tell me hacks and interesting things about the zone we were in. Like all the people that routinely level people to 60 over and over again were fun to chat with because they just knew so much of the game.

When I played TAKP I could find a group every now and then but the interaction wasn’t really there.

After that I downloaded something where it let me create my own server and I just went god-mode and gave myself a bunch of everything I ever wanted and then went to explore some zones-that was pretty fun.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
here's my proposal:

Classic-Velious EQ with choice zones brought over from PoP and Luclin, reconnected to classic-velious zones in ways that would make sense, with re-itemization to be normalized against Velious-era loot with a few nice, new clickies spread around.

I suggest:
* Solusek Ro's Tower connected to the Temple of Sol Ro
* Plane of Water connected to Kedge Keep or Siren's Grotto
* Plane of Earth connected to The Hole
* Drunder, Fortress of Zek connected to Oggok
* Crypt of Decay connected to Qeynos Catacombs
* Halls of Honor connected to North Freeport
* Plane of Innovation connected to Ak'Anon
* Druid port for Plane of Storms
* Wizard port for Plane of Fire
* Revamped Luclin-era CT

Maybe throw in Ssra somewhere in Kunark and dumpster most of the rest of Luclin. Maybe cram some of the Luclin underground zones somewhere connected to existing subterranean zones like Runnyeye, Blackburrow, or Crystal Caverns.

Keep AAs. in general, no new "hub" zones.

(...and two-boxing :getin:)

thanks for reading my dreams.txt blog.

e: I see PoP as the natural end-game for EQ after Velious, storywise. Fight the gods, take their poo poo, and ruin their houses. Where the hell do you go from there?

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 8, 2022

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I personally don’t like boxing but without a community you kinda need it. Would be nice to have 1 box zones though, so there’s always somewhere to go where boxing isn’t the optimal way to play

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
While I am a fan of Luclin and PoP, the Temple of Ssraeshza was and is a black hole in which all fun disappears forever.

I've 3-boxed for a long time on p2002 (I think it's called Wayfarer's Haven or something now), I found it easy and fun to do but I exclusively played with one or two friends. It's nice to be able to fill out a party just the two or three of us and powerlevel yourself etc but if you're playing solo it's still as lovely as when you play on your own on a single box server.

Boxing however creates the problem it tries to solve: p2002 had like a few dozen people on at best, so you had to box to get certain content done, but being able to box means a lot of people are going to not play on your server which means you have a low population which means you have to box to get certain content done...

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Meatgrinder posted:

While I am a fan of Luclin and PoP, the Temple of Ssraeshza was and is a black hole in which all fun disappears forever.

I only ever did Ssra on TAKP but I really liked it compared to almost every other Luclin zone. The raids were okay (although rotated between guilds on TAKP). The only thing I didn't like was that the mobs were pretty darn tough and it wasn't great exp'ing in there except for the mines maybe.

What I really hated about PoP was that it was the expansion that seemingly made Enchanters even more of an overpowered god class. Since mobs hit like trucks, enchanters could charm and make quick work of most mobs in the lower tiers. AA grinding seemed to necessitate their presence, or some kind of charm. And the tiering and flagging is what effectively killed TAKP for me. :saddowns:

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 8, 2022

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

an iksar marauder posted:

I personally don’t like boxing but without a community you kinda need it. Would be nice to have 1 box zones though, so there’s always somewhere to go where boxing isn’t the optimal way to play

The p1999 lobby should spend some of its annual budget to hire a community builder to get fresh blood into the game.

I think if you paid people a monthly subscription to play classic EQ, you'd have a population approaching the numbers on live 20 years ago, just the payment model needs to be completely reversed.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Antisocial play is already rewarded enough in EQ without having boxing to make it even worse. Boxing is a convenience, and I certainly did it on live, but it ultimately decreases the opportunity for the incidental social interactions that are EQ's real strength. Pick up groups, ports, rezzes, and item transfers are all opportunities for player interaction, and having a community that can provide these things for you consistently is a major reason to get to know people and join a guild even if you don't want to raid. It also changes your attitude toward the rest of the population of your server. Guild vs. guild poo poo can get pretty antisocial, but I have fond memories, especially as a raid puller, of loving around with or helping out people in other guilds because we were buddies from leveling together, doing item or faction camps, pick-up-grouping epic fights, etc.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I guess some of that makes sense in p99s cloistered environment and I get that it’s a different set of ideals. But some of those social interactions, notably porting and item transfers, are just tedious transactions that delay people from the meat of the game. I think there is some romanticization of older aspects of the game.

Sort of a different point but I’m curious about p99, is it as discord saturated as the normal eq experiences have become? In my experience playing on tlp’s people use, engage and respond with the chat client as little as possible and will use discord whenever they can. Is p99 like that? I find the voice chatification of everything sort of accelerates the development of cliques? And if you’re not in the voice chat in a group it’s a v antisocial experience, you’re alone next to other people in a group sort of thing. And as a result of that grouping happens primarily intraguild. With pick up groups being a very hit or miss experience, to the point where after awhile only the desperate want them.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 9, 2022

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

boxing should be legal but only if you can prove each instance is on its own separate computer like you had to do back in the day

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Sankis posted:

boxing should be legal but only if you can prove each instance is on its own separate computer like you had to do back in the day

I had a computer that could two-box in 2001 :smugdog:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

everquest? wasn't there a weird anti cheat early on where just alt tsbbing the game would force you to reload it entirely

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Just dinged 20, so now I'm "Meehhh Whatever" the wood elf druid! :feelsgood:

This is the first time I've leveled a class that can teleport, and boy oh boy... After years of playing classes with no movement abilities at all (except for bard), it's pretty drat cool to just be able to bounce around the continents whenever I want.

I'm just grinding out the exp super casual in the Karanas for now, soloing blues with all my buffs up. I tried some pet tanking with the Befriend Animal spell, but the duration is too random to be safe, so I'll start doing that at 24 when I get the next tier.

Sankis posted:

everquest? wasn't there a weird anti cheat early on where just alt tsbbing the game would force you to reload it entirely

You might be thinking of FFXI, which definitely disconnected you when you alt-tabbed, and it was by design.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

I don't know I distinctly remember hitting that loving windows key in the early days of Kunark and knowing I was in for a corpse run because minimizing Everquest was an automatic disconnect. It certainly wasn't like that later on but I started playing in windowed mode pretty early on as well so I wouldn't have been able to tell I guess.

Anyway, original Everquest was basically an IRC with a complex GUI. All you did was talk to folks and hit an occasional button.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
The game would crash early on if you alt tabbed. The fact that it didn't crash with eq window really implies that it was a bug that they backsplained as being immersive or anti cheating.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

FungiCap posted:

The game would crash early on if you alt tabbed. The fact that it didn't crash with eq window really implies that it was a bug that they backsplained as being immersive or anti cheating.

I always thought it was botched transfer of control of the GPU back the OS which caused the crashing.

The cyber cafe I worked at from 99-2003 had all the windows keys ripped off the keyboards.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I always thought it was botched transfer of control of the GPU back the OS which caused the crashing.

The cyber cafe I worked at from 99-2003 had all the windows keys ripped off the keyboards.

I think you're right.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Meatgrinder posted:

I don't know I distinctly remember hitting that loving windows key in the early days of Kunark and knowing I was in for a corpse run because minimizing Everquest was an automatic disconnect. It certainly wasn't like that later on but I started playing in windowed mode pretty early on as well so I wouldn't have been able to tell I guess.

Anyway, original Everquest was basically an IRC with a complex GUI. All you did was talk to folks and hit an occasional button.

It's been so long since I was playing EQ on a late 90's Gateway PC, so I don't remember having issues like that, but I totally believe it. It's not like we had luxuries like multiple monitors or smartphones to just look up info. And the only online info we had was *maybe* some incomplete pages on Allakhazam.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

DizzyBum posted:

It's been so long since I was playing EQ on a late 90's Gateway PC, so I don't remember having issues like that, but I totally believe it. It's not like we had luxuries like multiple monitors or smartphones to just look up info. And the only online info we had was *maybe* some incomplete pages on Allakhazam.

Oh God, I had a friend who had a printer and I would go to his place and look up poo poo on EQLore (? I think?) or EQMaps and print it out and have the pages at hand while playing.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Definitely remember my parents answering the phone and disconnecting me while playing EQ back in the day

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Trying to explain to my dad that I can't pause my game to do the dishes on my first NToV raid

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Meatgrinder posted:

Trying to explain to my dad that I can't pause my game to do the dishes on my first NToV raid

Telling my first NToV raid I have to log cause I called my mom a b*tch when she kept nagging me about taking the trash out :(

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Sometimes parents just don't understand

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
I remember having a folder of maps from Allakhzam because I had to print them out since I couldn't alt+tab to the other window.

As it goes now, P99 is essentially solved and has been for years. Guilds several years ago did some low person kills in NToV of like 18-24 , but right now the late game really sucks because 1 guild has the numbers and their leaders hate everyone else (while also donating enough to not get banned). Every other guild for the most part work amicably and acknowledge mistakes. It still sucks if you aren't one of the top 3 guilds, but 2 of those are willing to work with you and let you try a mob instead of leapfrogging you.

Being a part of one of those remaining guilds, I am so happy about the quarterly draft. It gives people targets they can go after mobs they can do, but can't sock 16 hours on. The biggest mobs that guilds have a hard time with are going to be Tunare, Sontalak, and Klandikar. Tunare isn't too bad, except for the zone clearing required and in the past she was exploited by training out of range. My guild has grouped up for Klandikar and joined in a sever wide Sontalak raid, but those team ups exist because most guilds are reasonable.

This is a long post to basically say gently caress Vanquish.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

FungiCap posted:

I always thought that was by design, in a vain attempt to try to prevent people using cheating software. Of course if they wanted to avoid people cheating, not having things like 'player position' be calculated client-side would have been a good idea too.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Philonius posted:

I always thought that was by design, in a vain attempt to try to prevent people using cheating software. Of course if they wanted to avoid people cheating, not having things like 'player position' be calculated client-side would have been a good idea too.

I remember being able to ALT TAB out of EQ before using EQWindow but after it would crash me to desktop, only to find out that my necromancer medding outside Kurn's Tower was faithfully duplicating in /say every keystroke I had entered into my browser window. This led to quite a few amusing moments in raid downtimes, with people going afk to "put on some tunes" and, well, clearly putting on wholly differing things...

riht
Dec 13, 2004

i knew u were trouble when u tossed int

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I have fond memories, especially as a raid puller,

i have fond memories of your pulls inside of my massive forehead

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

26 now, nearly at 27. Apparently all of the early Druid animal charm spells can randomly break and the P99 wiki is just wrong. Seems to be a lower chance on lower-level mobs. I tried to hunt wooly mammoths in Everfrost at 24, but there were too many white and yellow cons, so I'm doing this mindless Slaythe grind in Misty Thicket as a bridge to 27, and then I'm gonna try out the Cazic Thule alligator pit.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 19, 2022

reresearcher
Feb 24, 2004

DizzyBum posted:

26 now, nearly at 27. Apparently all of the early Druid animal charm spells can randomly break and the P99 wiki is just wrong. Seems to be a lower chance on lower-level mobs. I tried to hunt wooly mammoths in Everfrost at 24, but there were too many white and yellow cons, so I'm doing this mindless Slaythe grind in Misty Thicket as a bridge to 27, and then I'm gonna try out the Cazic Thule alligator pit.

Yea, the wiki level ranges are a bit off. Mammoths especially were tricky around that level. You're kind of in a hard slog until 34 when you get your first quad spell. Might want to try root rotting giants in Warsliks then hitting up FM giants.

What kind of wisdom are you working with? I highly recommend joining Dial a Port at 29 to start making money for wisdom gear/lumi staff.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

At 27-34 do sabertooth grimwhatevers in LOIO.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

riht posted:

i have fond memories of your pulls inside of my massive forehead

Just have to appreciate the double entendre here. I mean, I was absolutely aiming for your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
Iksar exiles in Swamp of No Hope are pretty good, I did them for a while on my druid. Quite a boring AFK camp, but nice if you're into that. Also brutes in the Dalnir caves in Warsliks, but they're camped pretty often.