Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Collapsing Farts posted:

He built a rocket with his own hands, using nothing more than a box of scraps!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

why do people still think Elon Musk is intelligent?

Why do they not?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Anton Chigurh posted:

Why do they not?

Have you read this thread?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Anton Chigurh posted:

Why do they not?

lol

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Have you read this thread?

Of course, along with many articles on the 'net that haven't been posted in this thread, some of them are even unbiased!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Anton Chigurh posted:

Of course, along with many articles on the 'net that haven't been posted in this thread, some of them are even unbiased!

and you still think Elon Musk is intelligent?

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
poor misunderstood genius Elon, vilified by the biased lamestream media. Very hosed up, imo.

Reading almost anything about him, you’d think he merely stumbled into his fortune by winning the birth lottery, who’s only goal is to further expand his obscene riches, and who constantly says and does poo poo that’s stupid and/or hosed up while being worshipped by losers on the internet as the savior of humanity. So unfair!

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

King Carnivore posted:

poor misunderstood genius Elon, vilified by the biased lamestream media. Very hosed up, imo.

Reading almost anything about him, you’d think he merely stumbled into his fortune by winning the birth lottery, who’s only goal is to further expand his obscene riches, and who constantly says and does poo poo that’s stupid and/or hosed up while being worshipped by losers on the internet as the savior of humanity. So unfair!

Hey Elon hired those losers fair and square

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Anton Chigurh posted:

What's the largest, most obvious thing that Elon has done that convinces you that he's above average intelligence? Like, something that if anyone else had done it, we would all look at it and go "yeah that person must be pretty smart."

I'm asking this because most of the established folks out there who people think are smart gained that reputation not from being assumed to be smart, but from actually performing an action or two that made people think "yeah that person must be pretty smart." Elon must have done something that convinced you. What do you think it was?

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Somfin posted:

What's the largest, most obvious thing that Elon has done that convinces you that he's above average intelligence? Like, something that if anyone else had done it, we would all look at it and go "yeah that person must be pretty smart."

I'm asking this because most of the established folks out there who people think are smart gained that reputation not from being assumed to be smart, but from actually performing an action or two that made people think "yeah that person must be pretty smart." Elon must have done something that convinced you. What do you think it was?

Well, I dunno. Haven't really thought about it.

I just asked "Why do they not?" because I was curious and hoped someone could explain it to me. Seems like a simple question?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Anton Chigurh posted:

I just asked "Why do they not?" because I was curious and hoped someone could explain it to me. Seems like a simple question?

Because he's an absolute dumbshit, happy to help

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Being the richest person in the world is a smart thing to do. Much smarter than being poor or middle class or even extremely rich.

Sure, he inherited wealth but a lot of people inherited similar amounts of wealth and they aren't as rich as he is.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
and yet he just shitposts on twitter talking about magic elf shows instead of going ssj ironman rick.

like why doesnt the Mars base exist already?

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Anton Chigurh posted:

Haven’t thought about it? What about all those unbiased articles you read that clearly demonstrate that he has a galaxy brain and is a wonderful human? Maybe you could post some of those many articles, in this, the Musk thread, so we could see where you’re coming from.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

more pale and lumpy than the cliffs of the Aegean islands

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Anton Chigurh posted:

lol

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Musk has a hosed up torso from trying to suck his own dick too much

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
laughing my rear end off right now

Zatko, the ex-Twitter security guy who's now backing Musk's lawsuit, signed a NDA with Twitter just days before he filed the whistleblower complaint

he brought in his lawyers to accuse them of wrongful termination and complain about loss of pay, and negotiated a $7 million settlement which included a NDA preventing him from publicly disparaging Twitter or revealing anything from his time there

the NDA had exceptions for whistleblower complaints and testifying in front of Congress, and that's exactly what he's going to be doing on Tuesday

https://www.wsj.com/articles/twitter-agreed-to-pay-whistleblower-7-million-in-june-settlement-11662661116

twitter's also going to be putting the merger to a general shareholder vote on Tuesday. it's gonna be a busy day

EDIT: also, Musk is claiming this as yet another basis for terminating the deal, claiming that it would have required his consent and that Twitter didn't get his consent before doing it

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 11, 2022

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

PhazonLink posted:

more pale and lumpy than the cliffs of the Aegean islands

a crumbling fetta of a man

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Anton Chigurh posted:

You really can't think of a single smart thing he did?

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Somfin posted:

You really can't think of a single smart thing he did?

Of course I can, I just chose not to take the bait.

So far...

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Anton Chigurh posted:

So far...

So you've read the thread and also several articles (some unbiased) about Musk, but you haven't really thought about if you think he's smart or not, therefore you want someone here to explain to you why they think he is not smart?

Did I get that right?

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

PITY BONER posted:

Male: 90.62 kg,
Female: 77.47 kg,
Average: 84.04
Average X one million people: 84,045,000 kg

Sum X $2720 USD: $228,602,400,000 dollars the cost of human weight alone to send a million of them to a city on Mars that doesn't exist.

That sounds a lot, but it's within the market cap of several large tech companies. If a Starship flight to Mars costs $10M, and each one takes 100 people, that's $100 billion. Squeeze in 250 people per flight (assuming Mayflower type conditions) and it's the cost of Musk buying Twitter. Assuming one transfer window approx every 26 months, to get to that population in 50 years would take 24 windows, each taking 42k people on 167 flights. With refuelling, that's about 1,500 flights per window, if launched over a month that's one launch every 30 minutes. Ambitious, but not impossible.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

pisshead posted:

That sounds a lot, but it's within the market cap of several large tech companies. If a Starship flight to Mars costs $10M, and each one takes 100 people, that's $100 billion. Squeeze in 250 people per flight (assuming Mayflower type conditions) and it's the cost of Musk buying Twitter. Assuming one transfer window approx every 26 months, to get to that population in 50 years would take 24 windows, each taking 42k people on 167 flights. With refuelling, that's about 1,500 flights per window, if launched over a month that's one launch every 30 minutes. Ambitious, but not impossible.

What is impossible is the cost figures you are quoting. The stuff of fantasy

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Musk and other dumb asses that think Rick and Mort is real think they can be a the sole male and just go with some current adult women and some frozen eggs. and then a supa science machine will be a artificial womb, do fast aging so he can eff his own daughter faster, and also do supa science gene editing so he can do more incest / abort competition from sons or daughter that threaten him.

So to him the cost is a rocket, and whatever it costs for Enrique to buy a freezer and eggs.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

pisshead posted:

What the gently caress is this? Even the basic math here is off by orders of magnitude.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

pisshead posted:

A Falcon 9 launch to LEO costs $70 million

10 million times 100 is 1 billion, not 100 billion

You can't "squeeze in" more than double Starship's design passenger capacity, because it's also got to carry food and oxygen for them for the trip

167 launches at a rate of one launch every 30 minutes would be a ridiculous logistical feat

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
maybe theyre using British billions/millards.

lol people just use scientific notation and just play around with the tens power.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Main Paineframe posted:

laughing my rear end off right now

Zatko, the ex-Twitter security guy who's now backing Musk's lawsuit, signed a NDA with Twitter just days before he filed the whistleblower complaint

he brought in his lawyers to accuse them of wrongful termination and complain about loss of pay, and negotiated a $7 million settlement which included a NDA preventing him from publicly disparaging Twitter or revealing anything from his time there

the NDA had exceptions for whistleblower complaints and testifying in front of Congress, and that's exactly what he's going to be doing on Tuesday

https://www.wsj.com/articles/twitter-agreed-to-pay-whistleblower-7-million-in-june-settlement-11662661116

twitter's also going to be putting the merger to a general shareholder vote on Tuesday. it's gonna be a busy day

EDIT: also, Musk is claiming this as yet another basis for terminating the deal, claiming that it would have required his consent and that Twitter didn't get his consent before doing it

:lol: that’s kind of an amazing way to gently caress over twitter

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Anton Chigurh posted:

There's no trap. I don't know what you're going to say. I'm genuinely curious.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Offler posted:

So you've read the thread and also several articles (some unbiased) about Musk, but you haven't really thought about if you think he's smart or not, therefore you want someone here to explain to you why they think he is not smart?

Did I get that right?

The answers some of you seek will be found within the symbol for a question.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

You can't "squeeze in" more than double Starship's design passenger capacity, because it's also got to carry food and oxygen for them for the trip

167 launches at a rate of one launch every 30 minutes would be a ridiculous logistical feat

Why do they need food, can't they just eat each other?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SuddenCactus posted:

Musk has a hosed up torso from trying to suck his own dick too much

He misheard some advice and got extra ribs added.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

QuarkJets posted:

Why do they need food, can't they just eat each other?

Imagine how strong the Mars colony will be when every colonist is the winner of a months-long Thunderdome match where only the strongest survive and get to eat

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Anton Chigurh posted:

It's a trap. There are no answers there.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Main Paineframe posted:

There's so much more to this than assumed, like we'd have to build 160 more launch pads, and somehow build thousands of new Raptor engines for starship, all while the industrial base for all the superalloys and aerospace-grade is strained to the breaking point right now with the "new space race" on. We'd need to build hundreds of new foundries, machine shops etc.

Also the existing pool of aerospace qualified technicians (most of whom were trained by the military) is already pretty much dry, with anyone with the necessary experience can walk from big aerospace firm to big aerospace firm with impunity. We'd need to build dozens of tech schools. Also we don't have enough mech/aerospace/chem-e's willing to work under the horrible conditions SpaceX demands, so you need to induce thousands of kids to get engineering degrees to go into this sector.

Not to even mention the infrastructure to produce enough LOx and fuel to fuel those rockets, the effect that much fuel would have on gas prices worldwide.

We'd need to mine more nickel, more cobalt, more copper etc.

It would take a national effort far exceeding that of the Apollo program, there is absolutely no way for weird penis Musk to achieve it alone, world's richest man or not. We could probably do it with the full will and backing of the American public, but that's not fuckin' happening.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Anton Chigurh posted:

Yeah, the only answer I seek is a simple "yes" or "no" though. If I'll have to trawl through your posts to look for clues or whatever it is you're suggesting, I'll just remain unenlightened instead.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
There may have been a time when Elon wasn’t a complete dumb rear end but those days are long gone.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Like recognizing the value of PayPal and knowing when to get in and get out was pretty smart. Obviously he was only able to be the largest shareholder because of wealth he already had, but plenty of people at that time were squandering fortunes on tech they didn't really understand, but Musk got that one right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Somfin posted:

There's no trap. I don't know what you're going to say. I'm genuinely curious.

Alrighty, here's my take. While I do think Elon is intelligent for reasons I'll get to below, that doesn't mean he's emotionally intelligent or very self-aware (not in the AI sense, lol), doesn't do impulsive, dumb things or make mistakes. He makes them very publicly in many cases too – also dumb I think – but like the U.S.'s former Cheeto In Chief, he loves the attention, positive or negative, it doesn't seem to matter much to him.

His attempt to own Twitter might be his biggest mistake yet, at least financially. We'll see how that plays out in October.

Being on Twitter feeds that need for attention, and with millions of followers who'll respond, retweet, like or otherwise care somehow if he tweets the color of his urine on a given day, he'll likely keep doing it until he gets bored or is forced to stop.

He's even paid the price for some of that behavior in the past by losing his position as CEO of Tesla to settle SEC fraud charges, and spending his time in court and paying fines when he'd probably rather do almost anything else. Like tweet.

OK, I'm almost out of gas here and want to get back to relaxing and enjoying my Sunday off, so I'll give the TL;DR version of why I think he's smart:

drat, mayhaps all of you are right, I'm dumb, Musk is an idiot and I just outlined above why he is in the first four paragraphs there.

I'll take my pipe and retire to the game room for some Warhammer theory craft now. I bid you all adieu for today....