Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Muscle Tracer posted:

I lol but I also agree, the new player experience blows. nothing like spending 5 minutes tryina navigate the mail slot only to immediately be told to leave because you forgot to request docking.

But blowing yourself up in stupid accidents like this is one of the best parts of the game?

Anyway, if I had control over Frontier, I would implement a "Put them out of their misery"-update that's just the station guns immediately firing and destroying your ship if you reach the slot without asking for landing permission.

No 5 minutes wasted anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I would have the station radio in and chastise you for not asking and then give you an opportunity to request it belatedly, but I'm different

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I would have the station radio in and chastise you for not asking and then give you an opportunity to request it belatedly, but I'm different

I'd do this and then have the station go "too late", before blowing you up even harder. If you stay silent, the station guns just do double damage, if you actually answer, 5x damage.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You should have to manually request undocking clearance too. If you don't, you get blown up as you leave!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The true space simulation is playing in VR, falling asleep in witchspace, then being awoken by the overheat alarm as you careen towards your hot fusion death

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The true space simulation is playing in VR, falling asleep in witchspace, then being awoken by the overheat alarm as you careen towards your hot fusion death

Never not supercruise assist for that sweet, sweet auto brake on hyperspace exit

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Unsinkabear posted:

Never not supercruise assist for that sweet, sweet auto brake on hyperspace exit

100% this. Most ships have a size 1 slot to spare, and the auto brake is a huge QoL improvement.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Solumin posted:

100% this. Most ships have a size 1 slot to spare, and the auto brake is a huge QoL improvement.

That and being able to come in pretty hot on a station and use it to yank yourself out of supercruise

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Unsinkabear posted:

What kind of hot garbage whippersnapper nonsense is this??? :argh:

Real pilots zero their throttles after engaging the friendship drive.

:rolleyes:

...kids these days. :clint:

StarkRavingMad posted:

That and being able to come in pretty hot on a station and use it to yank yourself out of supercruise

What in black space are you on about? Has no one taught y'all how to arc above the ecliptic and hook it in on the planet side? Lord, it must take you all forever to get anywhere...
:smug:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I think I'm usually in the kitchen when my spaceship comes out of hyper farts

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

What kind of hot garbage whippersnapper nonsense is this??? :argh:

:rolleyes:

...kids these days. :clint:

What in black space are you on about? Has no one taught y'all how to arc above the ecliptic and hook it in on the planet side? Lord, it must take you all forever to get anywhere...

I used to do that but this game LOVES gravity slingshotting the player more than anything.

What's really fun is yanking yourself out of supercruise with SC assist and coming in so hot that you get a terrifying glimpse of your ship phasing THROUGH the station before coming out on the far side of it in normal space

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

HonorableTB posted:

This post made me lol

I kind of agree that the game sucks and is a waste of time even though I have hundreds of hours in it, but lol at the NPC pirate being called toxic scum

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

StarkRavingMad posted:

I used to do that but this game LOVES gravity slingshotting the player more than anything.

What's really fun is yanking yourself out of supercruise with SC assist and coming in so hot that you get a terrifying glimpse of your ship phasing THROUGH the station before coming out on the far side of it in normal space

:hmmyes: I'm addicted to this

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

I disagree about the new player experience. If anything, it’s the best part of the game. You’re going into space with your own spaceship and between the controls, graphics and sound design, you genuinely feel like not only are you flying a real space ship, but that there’s a huge Galaxy out there with an untold number of possibilities.

Even though it’s rote gameplay of flying back and forth carrying dog poo and microwave ovens, the devil is in the details.

After the first 5-10 hours that's all true.

Those first few learning hours are frustrating as hell though. I would have given up in that window if I didn't have this thread's OP and the DF to badger with questions.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Worf posted:

I think I'm usually in the kitchen when my spaceship comes out of hyper farts

Same unless I'm carrying cargo and worrying about interdictions.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

The new player experience for me was:

Elite - "Welcome new player! Here is your ship, you are in space."

Me - "Cool!!! What do I do now?"

Elite- "You are in space."

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mendrian posted:

Which is, funnily enough, everything you want if you like space ships in space. But I guess it's not on the story-driven level of say, a JRPG or something.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Salvation getting owned was the most story they'd done in years.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Libluini posted:

Which is, funnily enough, everything you want if you like space ships in space. But I guess it's not on the story-driven level of say, a JRPG or something.

Who said anything about story? We were talking about gameplay.

I like ships in space more than most, and I love this flawed game. But you can't deny that it is objectively terrible at making you aware of what things there are to do and how they work. It's true on every level, from broad top-level things like gameplay paths, to individual short term activities, all the way down to the various functions of your loving ship. It could be way, way better about introducing you to things without abandoning any of its actual complexity.

I don't mind learning through deaths, although it can sometimes be frustrating, and I'm used to doing research out of game so I don't mind having to do that to figure out what I'm missing. But that is absolutely not the activity that brings me to the genre, lmao

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 4, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

and Supercruise Assist hotdrops are substantially faster than this octogenarian poo poo. Hope this helps, Grandpa!

Also I did my time with this blasphemy already, around fifty thousand jumps of it. Never again! :bahgawd:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 4, 2022

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Unsinkabear posted:

Who said anything about story? We were talking about gameplay.

I like ships in space more than most, and I love this flawed game. But you can't deny that it is objectively terrible at making you aware of what things there are to do and how they work. It's true on every level, from broad top-level things like gameplay paths, to individual short term activities, all the way down to the various functions of your loving ship. It could be way, way better about introducing you to things without abandoning any of its actual complexity.

I don't mind learning through deaths, although it can sometimes be frustrating, and I'm used to doing research out of game so I don't mind having to do that to figure out what I'm missing. But that is absolutely not the activity that brings me to the genre, lmao

I know some people have trouble with that kind of thing, but back when I started in 2014, I ran the checklist for helping you properly launching your ship exactly once, and the menus have been intuitive enough I didn't have much trouble after, either.

Though what sucks rear end is the way each new gameplay-element :frontear: added means time spent making proper controls. My personal pet peeve is the way sometimes entire important functions aren't even linked to anything by default.

Maybe that's it? If you regularly go into the control menu to study what button does what and carefully configure your control scheme, you probably have a better idea of what you're doing afterward. It's like a tutorial made by idiots, on accident. :shepface:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I imagine it also helped just a bit to have been there while all this poo poo was getting incrementally added, rather than having it all thrown at you all at once in YOOL 2022.

I have kind of a unique perspective because I was there then and I'm also restarting from scratch now after a long enough hiatus to forget things, and it was definitely way easier to jump in your ship and go in 2014

Edit: but this is also true, lol

Libluini posted:

If you regularly go into the control menu to study what button does what and carefully configure your control scheme, you probably have a better idea of what you're doing afterward. It's like a tutorial made by idiots, on accident. :shepface:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 4, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

StarkRavingMad posted:

Solumin posted:

Unsinkabear posted:

Lotta people telling on themselves right here.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I haven’t played the game in over a year, but I’m still a fan of just de throttling at 7 seconds to hit my super cruise target.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I haven’t played the game in over a year, but I’m still a fan of just de throttling at 7 seconds to hit my super cruise target.

You do you, I enjoy being able to go full speed the whole journey and then do it at 5 :shrug:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lotta people telling on themselves right here.

You mean the ones who don't seem to actually know how the SA trick works? :smug:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 4, 2022

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Honestly, I think the supercruise assist, docking auto-pilot and planetary landing computer should be integrated into the ship instead of taking up slots.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Agreed, it's time to give them the same treatment the D-scanner got, for the same reasons. Then everyone can use them or not, just like rotation correction and everything else. It's very silly that just those three software features are somehow physical modules that need the same space as a ton of cargo, a probe launcher, etc.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I agree with that, I mostly don’t use them because my slots are all eaten up with cargo racks because I’m a dirty biowaste hauler

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Unsinkabear posted:

Agreed, it's time to give them the same treatment the D-scanner got, for the same reasons. Then everyone can use them or not, just like rotation correction and everything else. It's very silly that just those three software features are somehow physical modules that need the same space as a ton of cargo, a probe launcher, etc.

Going from memory, the original Elite didn't even have this issue: You could buy software-upgrades for your dinky little Cobra, but they didn't take up any physical space.

Maybe Elite II had this asinine system and Mr. Braben just forgot that the first Elite didn't need it? Otherwise I'm out of options. :shrug:

Seriously, it's even worse with the drone controller things. There's no reason a single size-1 controller couldn't be large enough to deal with anything you'd want the tiny things to do, it's ridiculous. Just make the better ones more expensive if you want to shoehorn in some more progression, :frontear:, it's not rocket science! :argh:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Elite 2 did have that system, yes. Elite 1 essentially had a bespoke slot for every upgrade you could get for your Cobra, 20 fixed tons of cargo with an optional 10 ton upgrade. Elite 2 just gave every ship x tons of cargo space, and each module reduced your cargo by y tons.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
nice to see every dumb idea has a history

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Worf posted:

Cod actually releases content and is a game so yes probably so

Ya got me there.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

Not until they fix it so rotational correction doesn't massively gently caress up your ship handling when using lateral, dorsal, and ventral thrusters.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
it seems like ages ago (May 2020), but I found the tutorial missions and Pilots Federation—limited space a pretty gentle way to ease into the game. I got my rear end kicked in the first combat zone I tried to tangle in and promptly sold my Viper. "Leveling up" from Cobra to Type-6 to FDS to Python felt pretty exciting, and things got even more exciting after flying a Vulture

very silly how much affection I have for this dead gay space game

Mendrian posted:

sometimes you just wanna vibe in a void, you know?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Worf posted:

Cod actually releases content and is a game so yes probably so

Every time someone mentions Cod I get excited for a moment, then I remember it has nothing to do with fishing

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Libluini posted:

Every time someone mentions Cod I get excited for a moment, then I remember it has nothing to do with fishing

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnewsvideo/comments/wozknz/ukrainian_man_who_was_fishing_is_lucky_to_be/

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
There's now a Rogue Signal Source around the Stargoid that you can drop into, but it crashes you to desktop. It's apparently something called a Thargoid Titan :D

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Logged in for the first time in ages and watched the Epic Thargoid Cutscene™ which was so loving bad lol, these idiots really think they're making The Expanse or something :allears:

HonorableTB posted:

There's now a Rogue Signal Source around the Stargoid that you can drop into, but it crashes you to desktop.
Nothing's changed with :frontear: then lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

This post made me lol

lol but I also agree with this post.

p.s. Elite is the best space sim ever, I love it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'm still highly enjoying exploring around the galaxy with my HOTAS setup while streaming Star Trek: TNG on my other monitor

game still owns after like 7 years friends