Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The Genophage is an incredibly mundane Bioware Trolley Problem where nobody wins trying to back-justify it because it's genocide on all angles caused by the original sin of violating the prime directive and uplifting the Krogans. Or even before that caused by the Salarians and Asari having colonial ambitions and recklessly opening the relays and letting the Rachni through. Though even that got retconed into the Reapers being the ones who drove the Rachni into their own genocidal war of conquest and eventual extinction.

So essentially it's the perfect thing to make Woolie's head split in half because there's no easy answer he craves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

I literally just spent an hour and a half reading and listening to codex entries in Mass Effect 1. The genophage emphatically does not affect fertility or virility. It specifically affects the infant mortality rate. A female will still bear a massive clutch of eggs and thousands of those eggs will be stillborn. The social ramifications of seeing thousands of dead babies every time they try to give birth is horrific.

Nah they're like eggs that's totally different than real babies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf3Zr5rE2-Y

LOL at the title of this video

Woolie: I MADE A MISTAKE!!!!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Justin Roiland (Rick and Morty) gave a very unexpected shoutout in this article from this morning!

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/09/pax-deep-dives-justin-roilands-talking-guns-yacht-clubs-new-mouse-cot/

pickle rick posted:

"I personally like when I get a laugh or a surprise from a moment when I do something and [the characters] notice," Roiland said. He also said he loves falling into YouTube rabbit holes about video game productions gone awry, admitting he's a fan of the Matt McMuscles series What Happened: "You hear those stories, and it kinda scares you," Roiland said. "Because that's in your head, you go into production able to subconsciously make sure that the scope is in check."

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Who's got that clip of Pat playing New Vegas and he's on the quest to get a brain for Rex and the old lady just fuckin kills a dog and Pat's all :stare: about it

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
https://twitter.com/mvmphotography_/status/1568448935408320513

I hope this leads to people calling him Pasta Rat from now on, it is very on brand given his freak tendency to eat raw pasta.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pat's saying the Batarians gotta go. But gotta be honest, it kinda sounds like the Turians need to go more. And the Salarians are on thin loving ice.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

New episode of Woolie playing SH3 is worth it, just for the absolute confusion around "why did Reggie put a NES cartridge in the freezer".

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This and the salarians reasoning is getting close to space phrenology.

'You see the brain pan of the average krogan is so triangular that it inherently drives then to suicidal violence so we had to sterilize them after using them as shock troopers for our goals. For their own good you see.'

Moridin then comes in with 'My predecessors were correct. We cannot trust the krogan people to integrate into polite society even after hundreds of years of development and integration. We have to reup the genocide virus to ensure they don't kill themselves off or force our hand, as we are the good stewards of the other races.'

All eugenics are bad.

*Extremely Measurehead voice* THE DEGENERACY OF THE ONCE-PROUD KROGAN RACE IS DUE TO THEIR CONSUMPTION OF THE AL-GUL BURUKH. THEIR MESOMORPHIC PHYSIOLOGY AND GENETIC HAPLOID TYPE WAS RAVAGED BY THE DRINK AND NOW THEIR PLACE AS THE RACIAL PINNACLE OF WAR IS IN RETROGRADE. THE INEVITABLE VICTORY OF THE ASARI-SALARIAN RACES IS HERE.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Overlord K posted:

https://twitter.com/mvmphotography_/status/1568448935408320513

I hope this leads to people calling him Pasta Rat from now on, it is very on brand given his freak tendency to eat raw pasta.

Pasta Rat is perfect for Pat's eventual Vtuber phase

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Pasta Rats can't swim

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Actually Pasta Rats are the only kind that can swim, that's why you have to break their spaghetti tails before you put them in the pot

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Dabir posted:

Pat's saying the Batarians gotta go. But gotta be honest, it kinda sounds like the Turians need to go more. And the Salarians are on thin loving ice.

The Asari have been hoarding prothean artifacts behind everyone's back, the Turians are incredibly militaristic and react to all threats with overwhelming firepower and the Salarians are just using science and espionage to meddle with things behind the scenes.

Humanity is pretty modest in comparison.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's almost like aliens in science fiction settings are meant to reflect different aspects of humanity or something

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Which aspect of humanity was meant to be represented by the uncivilised savages who the higher races unwisely brought into their society to use against an even more savage and implacable force, only to find themselves betrayed and at risk of getting outbred and annihilated within a generation?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I think.... the krogans might be problematic.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They had to be sterilised for their own good but unironically

- A Bioware Writer

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Dabir posted:

- A Bioware Writer

I mean, this already happens to people in society so it's not exactly a reach.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dabir posted:

- A Bioware Writer

Maybe the same writer who also wrote "We tried to civilize the vorcha, but their lifespans are too short to overcome their innate feral nature. Not worth trying to make them behave in polite society." into the Codex?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

I mean, this already happens to people in society so it's not exactly a reach.

When it happens to people in society, the people doing it don't have a good reason that an objective outside observer could look at and go "huh I see your point"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
you are absolutely not supposed to think the genophage is good and fine and woolie is the only person I've ever encountered with this take

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sure, it's presented as a bad thing, which, fine. But if it didn't happen, would or would not the Krogans have actually outbred the rest of the galaxy and swarmed across it, massacring billions and cracking planets like most people crack eggs?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the genophage was the result of a long line of poor decisions from all parties involved and the main question the game asks isn't "was it in the right then" but "is it in the right now"

larger galactic civilization raised up the krogan for cheap infantry and then stomped them back down into the mud, and the main reason the genophage persists is that everyone's really nervous about what might happen if they lift their boot back up

the salarians uplifted the krogan out of desperation without giving the question of "what next" enough thought, the krogan started forcibly colonizing other territories while telling the resident populations "what are you gonna do about it," and the turians decided that hitting the big red button would be ideal if it ended the war decisively. the only way the only situation resolves well is if cooler heads like wrex and eve are allowed to prevail, because at the time of the rebellions it seems like krogan leaders were primarily vicious maniacs like wreav and they've mostly gotten themselves killed in the interim

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 10, 2022

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Dabir posted:

Sure, it's presented as a bad thing, which, fine. But if it didn't happen, would or would not the Krogans have actually outbred the rest of the galaxy and swarmed across it, massacring billions and cracking planets like most people crack eggs?

That's not what the podcast conversation was. Woolie knows that the genophage was done to prevent extinction.

He specifically went into the mindset that curing it now will spark a retaliation by the galaxy to double down on a super genophage if he kept the cure.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Right, but what I'm saying is that it's kinda hosed up for Bioware to write "ok, but what if the eugenicists were afraid for a good reason, this time, just once"

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

yeah that's the fun part of alien races as allegory. we all know the quari or whatever are space romani, shrug our shoulders and move on, but then we get to the violent alien race that's gonna displace us by outbreeding us and there's, uh, implications

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Given the Krogan under Wrex are completely fine I think it was a cultural/leadership issue that he Council decided to look at instead as "ah, these aggressive animals can't be contained" and they can't not see them as such even in ME3 where it becomes increasingly clear that suppressing the Krogans is doing no favors for anyone except the Salarians' sense of superiority.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Lol Pat underestimated chat's desire for him to suffer. He made a bet if he got 1000 gift subs in one night he would have to transmog his ff14 character (that he spent so much time getting to look the way he wanted) into a lalafel for an entire patch cycle. One guy even gave him over 300 and then posted "lol I don't even play ff14". He made a fuckton of money in a single stream but was too angry to care because the game he plays to relax was ruined for him.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Blockhouse posted:

Given the Krogan under Wrex are completely fine I think it was a cultural/leadership issue that he Council decided to look at instead as "ah, these aggressive animals can't be contained" and they can't not see them as such even in ME3 where it becomes increasingly clear that suppressing the Krogans is doing no favors for anyone except the Salarians' sense of superiority.

Wrex was talking about the early stages of the krogan empire during the tuchunka mission. Eve is the hope for a different krogan.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Kay Kessler posted:

Lol Pat underestimated chat's desire for him to suffer. He made a bet if he got 1000 gift subs in one night he would have to transmog his ff14 character (that he spent so much time getting to look the way he wanted) into a lalafel for an entire patch cycle. One guy even gave him over 300 and then posted "lol I don't even play ff14". He made a fuckton of money in a single stream but was too angry to care because the game he plays to relax was ruined for him.

Enough donated that he's going to be a lala through at least 6.4 (we're in early 6.2, each full .X patch is about 4months apart so basically a full year from now)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The living Krogan are also culturally distinct from the Rebellion Krogan because their sociological and mental makeup are so dramatically changed thanks to the genophage. There's plenty of warlords who want glory days back, but there's also several Krogan who just want to work alone or move past the galactic conquest aspirations. Curing the genophage doesn't revert the changed mindsets of Krogan who have moved on with their lives. It'll enable the wannabe warlords, sure, but it's not like it'll be a species wide rallying cry for a vengeance crusade.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Pretty much everyone who gets to the Krogan poo poo goes "hmm genocide bad," "hmm it's been literally thousands of years and circumstances are radically different now," or "hmm I really want a happy motivated dinoturtle army for when the robot squids come" and Woolie managed to Mind Palace himself into thinking some medical information voluntarily obtained through dubious means was a literal doomsday device

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

i didn't give a gently caress about the political beep boop whatever nerds talk about i just wanted to make my best friend wrex happy

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

i didn't give a gently caress about the political beep boop whatever nerds talk about i just wanted to make my best friend wrex happy

Same. Who goes through ME1 and doesn't come out wanting to do anything for their boys, Garrus and Wrex?

...That said, being much older and wiser, oof, Garrus' ideology is a lot more uncomfortable now. That said, he feels like he maybe embodies what Renegade is supposed to be? Like, not unhinged or evil, but just "ends justify the means" kind of mindset.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Garrus is a sociopath who should not have been a cop to begin with. gently caress the cops. He's also vigilante gunman who needs guidance to not shoot everyone he thinks should be shot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kay Kessler posted:

so he got paid $2,500, after amazon's cut, to transmog his character temporarily?

my heart bleeds for him

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
For apparently the rest of the year and a little over, because it's 2 patches worth.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
buddy I'd wear a goddamn clown nose for the rest of the year if you gave me $2500

Botman
Mar 3, 2006
DASH DASH DASH!!!!

beep by grandpa posted:

I mean, that was part of the problem. Wrex wasn't there. Woolie straight up said on the podcast that if Wrex could accompany him on that mission, he would have gone with whatever he said was the right choice. Plus, there was a line from Clan Weyrloc about Wrex wanting nothing to do with Maelon's experiments that further muddied the waters on what to do for him.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Wheres wrex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Is he safe