Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Wanderer's strongboxes not being kind to me. I just need either a Crit Damage Hat or an EM Sands (admittedly two rarer slots to be sure) but all I get are a million feathers.

My Tighnari is still doing fantastic damage in spite of only have a 2pc bonus right now anyways but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Dori is there precisely for me, a person who missed out on Kuki but desperately wanted a healing safety net in a team that has exactly an electro slot open. So uh, situational utility!

My dumb luck lead to my first pull on Kokomi getting me Kuki so Dori can stay where she belongs, at level 20 on the bench. :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The one off-banner 4* I got while pulling for Kokomi was Heizou of all characters, meanwhile I pulled like 10 Xingqius

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Just finished up Inazuma and, yeah, whoever said it was rushed is very very right.

Also that last boss was painful with my team. Two easily broken geo constructs and a electro character that does nothing. Rude.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Hellioning posted:

Just finished up Inazuma and, yeah, whoever said it was rushed is very very right.

Also that last boss was painful with my team. Two easily broken geo constructs and a electro character that does nothing. Rude.

Did you actually finish Inazuma or just the archon quest part III cause the storyline sort of continues in the character quests that unlock after that. Specifically Raiden's and Kokomis. Theres lots of stuff in the various island's and Enkanomiya that continue the Inazuma arc roughly through patch 2.5 culminating in Raiden Shoguns second character quest. If you did all that though I dont know what to say really your basically done then.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kale posted:

Did you actually finish Inazuma or just the archon quest part III cause the storyline sort of continues in the character quests that unlock after that. Specifically Raiden's and Kokomis. Theres lots of stuff in the various island's and Enkanomiya that continue the Inazuma arc roughly through patch 2.5 culminating in Raiden Shoguns second character quest. If you did all that though I dont know what to say really your basically done then.

On one hand, no, I did not do all of that, so that's fair.

On the other hand I didn't need to do all of that for Mondstadt or Liyue so that still seems weird as hell.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Wanderer's strongboxes not being kind to me. I just need either a Crit Damage Hat or an EM Sands (admittedly two rarer slots to be sure) but all I get are a million feathers.

My Tighnari is still doing fantastic damage in spite of only have a 2pc bonus right now anyways but still.

My tighnari does great damage unless it's a balloon commission, which you can't apply elements to and so can't get spread.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Doesn't her second character quest unlock the weekly boss? Your hosed on leveling high level talents without that. Lotta characters use them

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Is there any easy way to cancel Collei's boomerang? There's an uncomfortably long amount of time until I can switch characters after using it.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Doesn't her second character quest unlock the weekly boss? Your hosed on leveling high level talents without that. Lotta characters use them

Yeah but there's nothing that signals her story quest has that tie. In general Inazuma is kinda bad at signposting what you need to do to actually unlock content. Like I still have none of the fog island unlocked/the mechanic that lets you explore it or any real signposts about what gets me there.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Clarste posted:

Is there any easy way to cancel Collei's boomerang? There's an uncomfortably long amount of time until I can switch characters after using it.

? You can switch after the attack animation. The animation isn't that outrageously long. And it takes about as long as the switching cooldown.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hellioning posted:

On one hand, no, I did not do all of that, so that's fair.

On the other hand I didn't need to do all of that for Mondstadt or Liyue so that still seems weird as hell.

I think Inazuma suffered for having things implemented through multiple versions. Hitting it all at once when I started playing this year, there were different systems to do puzzles on different islands, multiple islands hostile to the player that needed to be unlocked and solved, and Enkanomiya has a whole pile of even more puzzles and unlock mechanics and plays like its own nation. I mean, the Chasm is a bit like that too, but there's nothing in Enkanomiya required for the archon quest line to unlock Sumeru stuff unlike the Chasm. Enkanomiya, Seirai Island, Tsurumi Island, and large portions of Kannazuka and Yashiori Island are basically optional. Also, Enkanomiya feels really bleak and weird so it was kind of a sharp contrast to a lot of stuff in the game. I also was just hitting a high world level when I got there so it was kind of brutal with long fights against enemies with tons of HP like multiple ruin guards, bathysmal vishaps, and lawachurls. Those are hard when you're new and you've spent your resin on leveling up characters and weapons and your artifacts are kind of just whatever you could get and your character talents are maybe 5-6 for most of them.

Right now it's worth blazing through the archon quests and the required story quests to get to the event stuff in Sumeru for a free Collei and primos, but Inazuma world quests send you to most of those islands eventually and there's just hours and hours of stuff to explore. You're at the end game at AR55+ (turns out they made adventure experience required to get from 55 to 60 way higher amounts than previous AR levels), with no quests in your log and no story quests undone. The hangouts are optional but some story quests unlock stuff like a world boss in Liuye (Zhongli's quests) and Inazuma (Raiden's quests). You'll get so many story keys you'll unlock them all in a few months. After that it's mostly working on powering up characters and doing daily stuff in between releases. You can also work on hitting 100% in every area but it's a challenge.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Actually now that I think about it, usually a character's trial can give some hints as to what their intended role might be. Lets see what we have for Dori...

Lisa/Xiangling/Collei/Dori... catalyze overburn? :raise:

First thought: :confused:

Second thought: Hey wait a minute, this is Cyno's team! Just like Xiangling can eschew anemo vv shred and instead supplement her vaporize damage with overloads, Cyno might be able to use a burning aura to supplement his aggravate.

Tried this out with Fischl/DMC/Xiangling. Results: Words and numbers popped out :|
Sorry, can really work up the energy to care about in depth genshin battle testing anymore. Maybe at some point more serious TC work can be done to figure out the elemental application needed to make this work. Thoma time?

Also Dori can break ores in a single combo so that's neat.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ninjoatse.cx posted:

? You can switch after the attack animation. The animation isn't that outrageously long. And it takes about as long as the switching cooldown.

The delay is like 2-3 times as long as Fishl's E. It's just annoying me.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah but there's nothing that signals her story quest has that tie. In general Inazuma is kinda bad at signposting what you need to do to actually unlock content. Like I still have none of the fog island unlocked/the mechanic that lets you explore it or any real signposts about what gets me there.

It's a followup adventurer's guild commission to the one that introduced Seirai. You have to completely contain the balethunder with several of those rotating stone warding puzzles, fight the thunderbird on an island in the sky, and grab an electro feather. "Seirai Stormchasers" is part of the series 2 Inazuma achievables, so you should be able to check pretty easily if you've done it or not.

The fog island quests work a bit like Tatara Tales in that you have to wait one rollover before the next part of them is ready. Unlike Tatara Tales the entity in charge isn't from Fontaine so it'll only be a few outings before the fog is cleared from the island and a new song drops into the mix.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Taking it slow on Sumeru despite like three events going on. Definitely liking the new area so far. Also got Kokomi (and a 4th Diluc) in 40 rolls. As someone who's trying to get away from playing Diluc that's a bad sign. :v:

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

halokiller posted:

Taking it slow on Sumeru despite like three events going on. Definitely liking the new area so far. Also got Kokomi (and a 4th Diluc) in 40 rolls. As someone who's trying to get away from playing Diluc that's a bad sign. :v:

oops! all dilucs

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Speaking of which, really annoyed that I have to do a bunch of 'world quests' in order to unlock the Chasm to get to where my next archon quest is. And even more annoyed I had to look that up because the game itself certainly wasn't telling me.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The chasm is good. If you don’t like the journey, i’ve got bad news for you about how much you’ll like the game.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UCrJa7HhZc

The tradition of Child(e) Bullying continues to be upheld.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Hellioning posted:

Speaking of which, really annoyed that I have to do a bunch of 'world quests' in order to unlock the Chasm to get to where my next archon quest is. And even more annoyed I had to look that up because the game itself certainly wasn't telling me.

Doesn't the adventurer's handbook have a new "guide" tab that's supposed to track those sorts of things? I suppose for spoiler reasons it might not tell you exactly what unlocks what.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Holy poo poo, no wonder this place doesn't unlock until you do all the Aranyka quests. That poo poo would kill Zhongli in no time too.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The music for the final battle of the Aranara world quest is really cool, and I really liked the setpiece. I'm a little annoyed that you are forced to be solo Traveler for it, but I guess that's the best way they figured to have the fight have the flow and impact it's designed for without a super-whale bursting in and one shotting everything. I hope Rana becomes playable some day too.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 11, 2022

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Glazius posted:

Doesn't the adventurer's handbook have a new "guide" tab that's supposed to track those sorts of things? I suppose for spoiler reasons it might not tell you exactly what unlocks what.

Eh sorta. The tab just looks like a grab-bag of 5 random things that will all do something.
Like it'll guide you to quest chains that 'unlock a new area' or 'unlocks a gameplay feature' but doesn't actually tell you which those are.

Heck right now mine includes "Hey this 'Archon Quest' is part of the Archon Quest' and "This story quest isn't finished" both of which are already pretty clear in the quest log.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Kale posted:

Honkai :words:

Pages back but I remembered and just finished catching up, but wow, your reading order said to read all of the supplemental stuff before you got to the hook? Well, I'm glad you enjoyed that stuff anyways, I guess.

The first 3 units you get that start at B are bad, yeah, you'll get them replaced really fast and only use them when the story makes you. Speaking of, if you don't want to worry too much about the gacha and character building systems until later, around the time the story picks up it also straight up stops letting you use your own characters, and even when it starts letting you again it also gives you trial characters. I think they just revamped the new player experience, too, so hopefully they took out level gating on the story, or made the starting campaign give more rank xp or something? Either way you only really need to be at all "optimum" for high end endgame content. If you want someone cool right away, basically any version of Fu Hua is fun to play. Fu Hua rules and should be in Genshin twice.

Oh right also the current event thing (Summer Survival Rhapsody) gives you trial characters for the stuff that's even normal Honkai Impact gameplay. Most of the event is a decent Slay The Spire knock-off instead, though, because Honkai does this weird thing where they just make entire other games that aren't as good as Honkai Impact for their Honkai Impact events sometimes. It's an AU, so if you already know about the Thirteen Flame Chasers it doesn't really spoil anything.

Now Fer Elysia, that has an event component but it's also the latest chapter, which they let you skip to and play with trial characters if you want for some reason. I wouldn't, the rewards are good but not worth being spoiled, especially when the rewards for just playing through the game are also good.

As far as the gacha and RPG stuff goes, though, a few things.
1. Probably don't roll on the current expansion, holy poo poo I just looked at it wtf Mihoyo putting Elysia up in the short window between Herrscher Elysia being announced and released it just mean, even if she does play a different role. Plus she's farmable, although it takes a long time so if you really want her, I mean, I spent all my starting crystals maxing out Fischl, who is also farmable, and while I have kicked myself over that some, she has been really useful. I'd probably wait, though--she's in a crowded field and not the newest in it, and her Herrscherr version that's dropping in a few days is presumably setting the power creep bar for a while.

2. Once you get a character, the order of priority is weapon ->->no seriously the weapon is by far the most important piece of equipment -> stigmata ->-> rank ups. On the bright side, the weapon AND stigmata are on the same equipment banner, the weapon isn't rarer than any given piece of stigmata, AND the weapon has pity. If you get a character's weapon before their stigmata, there are usually good farmable replacements for those--but that can be a lot of farming. I just don't even bother with rank ups for non-farmable characters at this point, they're so much rarer than everything else for such diminishing returns.

3. Do the new player campaign thingy, it gives good stuff. I don't know what's on the beginner's banner you have to actually spend crystals on, though.

Also yes Bronya is terrible to play until Herrscher Of Reason, and the story will make you play as her a decent amount. It kinda sucks and that plus some of her earlier outfits really soured me on the character for a while. On the bright side, when she gets her Herrscher Form she gets a giant robot Stand that materializes drills and shoots missiles and turns into a motorcycle that passively spawns floating laser turrets, and has a loving dope theme song. You can also ride her motorcycle for free in the open world areas. Her strongest attack is doing donuts. This is still less cool than Cyberpunk Bronya and Future Bronya. Once she takes off, Bronya loving rules.

Sorry if this was a bit much, it's late.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

If the cryo archon is supposed to be a bronya expy then I hope she has a motorcycle

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
wow, my very first dendro cup.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hyper Inferno posted:

I hope Rana becomes playable some day too. [/spoiler]

Unlikely since she has a generic character model.

Edit: In other news, I should probably not have done the "trapped in a not-time loop" archon quest and "trapped in a not-cave-in" interlude back to back because man that was mentally exhausting to sit through.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 11, 2022

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Clarste posted:

Unlikely since she has a generic character model.

Obviously she has to run around and get some experience with her Vision before she becomes full anime.
She should keep the axe though :black101:

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The chasm is good. If you don’t like the journey, i’ve got bad news for you about how much you’ll like the game.

The chasm is good but I was skeptical at first because the above ground area is garbage. Once you get underground it’s real good though.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I don't like any of the underground areas very much. I think I have some latent claustrophobia.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Hyper Inferno posted:

The music for the final battle of the Aranara world quest is really cool, and I really liked the setpiece. I'm a little annoyed that you are forced to be solo Traveler for it, but I guess that's the best way they figured to have the fight have the flow and impact it's designed for without a super-whale bursting in and one shotting everything. I hope Rana becomes playable some day too.

It was an interesting choice, yeah. A trial Dendro Traveler, because there's no guarantee you've built or upgraded yours. It's the most reasonable one for the situation and I can see how they wouldn't want you to leave any droppables or fire any frostflakes into that central crater with the boss fight structure. I both understand the favonius sword because it's cool to have the lotus popping off while the boss death cutscene plays, and wish they'd given the trial character a sapwood blade because this is clearly the power of the aranara flower crown you're throwing around. On a brighter note, somebody finally convinced Plunge Attack Guy to use his power for good instead of using it for incomprehensible event trials like he usually does.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 11, 2022

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012

Hyper Inferno posted:

The next time we see her she's going to be dressing like a loving maniac and have a totally different face.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Glazius posted:

It was an interesting choice, yeah. A trial Dendro Traveler, because there's no guarantee you've built or upgraded yours. It's the most reasonable one for the situation and I can see how they wouldn't want you to leave any droppables or fire any frostflakes into that central crater with the boss fight structure. I both understand the favonius sword because it's cool to have the lotus popping off while the boss death cutscene plays, and wish they'd given the trial character a sapwood blade because this is clearly the power of the aranara flower crown you're throwing around. On a brighter note, somebody finally convinced Plunge Attack Guy to use his power for good instead of using it for incomprehensible event trials like he usually does.

Mine was actually electro because I hadn't bothered to unlock dendro on mine.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Pope Urbane II posted:

The next time we see her she's going to be dressing like a loving maniac and have a totally different face.
Checks out. It must be the Vision itself that starts to corrupt your fashion sense over time. And when we meet the people from Inazuma who've had theirs confiscated, they dress normally, so I guess it isn't permanent.

Fischl is an exception. I assume she's just always dressed like that.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

FractalSandwich posted:

Checks out. It must be the Vision itself that starts to corrupt your fashion sense over time. And when we meet the people from Inazuma who've had theirs confiscated, they dress normally, so I guess it isn't permanent.

Yun Jin’s outfit is in line with real-life Chinese opera costume, though, and by some standards might even be less flashy.

Though that begs the question of why she wears it for all occasions (other than Mihoyo’s character design budget).

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Mine was actually electro because I hadn't bothered to unlock dendro on mine.

Same, although mine was by choice for the team I was using as my "lore" team.

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

It must be really hard for the Knights and other organizations dominated by vision-holders to maintain uniform standards when having superpowers means you're obligated to dress like you're in a music video.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Pope Urbane II posted:

It must be really hard for the Knights and other organizations dominated by vision-holders to maintain uniform standards when having superpowers means you're obligated to dress like you're in a music video.
I guess that's just an accepted cultural practice in Teyvat. Proper uniforms are probably a non-starter in the City of Freedom anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
This Ayato Dori hyperbloom team really is pretty dumb. You have to stand in no less than 4 goddamn circles and frankly I'm tired of it.

But with Xingqiu/Yelan, Kuki, and literally any dendro catalyst, you can have a pretty fun and mobile team that isn't terribly beholden to strict rotations and positionings. So once again it all comes back to Nahida :sigh:

I gotta admit though, they've been doing a pretty good job at making her obnoxiously necessary without having to make her actively broken.