Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
I think one of my favorite lesser sumo traditions is when they do the yusho portrait reveals and the tinny fanfare plays over the PA system and Abema just shows everyone looking at the ceiling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Lid posted:

Trying to find the name of the rikishi who could not put on weight and found this incredible relic.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2012/07/28/sumo/harumafujis-third-yusho-marred-by-an-ill-mannered-yokozuna/

Takanoyama?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Tiny Bug Child posted:

I think one of my favorite lesser sumo traditions is when they do the yusho portrait reveals and the tinny fanfare plays over the PA system and Abema just shows everyone looking at the ceiling

100%, it was awesome.

Terutsuyoshi actually wrestling for once.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Kenning posted:

Ice Phisherman

Y/O: Takakeisho
S/K: Wakatakakage
M1-5: Kotonowaka
M6-10: Wakamotoharu
M11+: Ryuden

Team waka waka waka.

I can't lose.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Starting out with a mage-pull is not promising.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Tracker post time!

Y/O: Takakeisho (10-5, 11 pts-kk)
S/K: Wakatakakage (11-4, 15 pts-kk+sansho)
M1-5: Kotonowaka (8-7, 9 pts-kk)
M6-10: Wakamotoharu (10-5, 11 pts-kk)
M11+: Okinoumi (6-9, 5.5 pts-mk)

Total: 45-30, 51.5 pts

anakha fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Sep 25, 2022

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Looks like Abema is using some different camera angles for tachi-ai? A lot of matches, the camera seemed off center and way too zoomed in.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

my boy Ura was robbed :argh:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Second half is a lil boring, alas.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Kenning posted:

Second half is a lil boring, alas.

Counterpoint: Shodai.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Shodai already in mid-basho form.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Shodai plus Terunofuji brought it back for me.

Day 1 standings:

Makuuchi
code:
4	Chinook
4	jmzero
4	Lid
4	S.W.O.R.D. Agent
4	Saturnine Aberrance
4	Tiny Bug Child
4	whats for dinner
3	bartolimu
3	bessantj
3	Charles Gnarwin
3	Eli949
3	GoatSeeGuy
3	Iron Chef Nex
3	Kenning
3	Khizan
3	Neodoomium
3	Netsky
3	Robviously
3	Teddybear
3	Vargatron
3	ullerrm
3	pseudodragon
2	anakha
2	Banana Canada
2	Crusty Nutsack
2	Flinger
2	Ice Phisherman
2	Jobbo_Fett
2	Marching Powder
2	Mode 7
2	MyChemicalImbalance
2	NuclearPotato
2	scripterror
2	Takuan
2	Thauros
2	Tochiazuma
1	Communist Thoughts
1	Fluffdaddy
1	sivad
Juryo
code:
5	Akiosan
4	Brut
4	Helianthus Annuus
4	Kuros
4	Lexorin
4	Liquid Communism
4	LlamaTrauma
4	Log082
4	PJ
4	ratmosphere
3	Bentai
3	Biosys
3	Dead Goon
3	Enfys
3	Gaghskull
3	ilmucche
3	oldskool
2	Ben Nerevarine
2	Maigius
2	Mekchu
2	Pakled
2	QuasiQuack
2	rare Magic card l00k
2	KungFu Grip
1	Boogalo
1	MalarkeyToboggan
0	Xerzes

Kenning fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 12, 2022

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
:( I kept putting my "make a team" day off and just realized I missed the deadline entirely. I will accept my punis--wait, exercise my goonzeki privileges to kick my feet up for a coupla months before kadobaning it in November (though if it's still possible for me to be assigned a team comprising day-1 losers and/or random rejects, I'd be all over that option).

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Shodai remembered to stretch and do some foot stomps before fighting Tobizaru today. Don't think I've seen him that active in a fight on day 1 in aaaaages.

Felt like there was a lot of good sumo today even if it wasn't a massive highlight reel sort of day.

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country.

Gotta love waking up to a new basho! I have fallen deeply for Sumo incredibly quickly and am attempting to pass this on to friends.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Kenning posted:

Thauros

Y/O: Mitakeumi
S/K: Wakatakage
M1-5: Ura
M6-10: Wakamotoharu

as usual i get my first choice team except for the one guy almsot everyone is gonna want. thanks for doing this as always, fun to have my team known as i prepare to watch the kinta digest

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

quote:

Welcome to fantasy, new players!

Thanks, and I appreciate your effort in running this thing!

Kenning posted:

Ben Nerevarine

Y/O: Hoshoryu
S/K: Wakatakakage
M1-5: Tobizaru
M6-10: Tochinoshin
M11+: Chiyotairyu

I don’t know if Hoshoryu is right here… but he’s going all the way, I can feel it

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Skjorte posted:

:( I kept putting my "make a team" day off and just realized I missed the deadline entirely. I will accept my punis--wait, exercise my goonzeki privileges to kick my feet up for a coupla months before kadobaning it in November (though if it's still possible for me to be assigned a team comprising day-1 losers and/or random rejects, I'd be all over that option).

Kenning has stated that late entries will be accepted, you'll just be kyujo on day 1. Get your picks in!

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Beeswax posted:

Kenning has stated that late entries will be accepted, you'll just be kyujo on day 1. Get your picks in!

Eek! Thank you -- I didn't read the thread past the "last call for entries!" since I wanted to watch the matches unspoiled.

Having now done so, here's a slightly reconfigured version of my July picks, moving all the day 1 losers to the top where possible (+ replacing Teru with Shodai). Hopefully my lack of goonzeki gusto leading into this basho will be forgiven as I attempt to combine my usual style of sumo with a display of contrition.

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Mitakeumi
Shodai

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Kiribayama
Daieisho

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Midorifuji
Meisei

M6-10:
Onosho
Hokutofuji
Takanosho

M11+:
Ryuden
Kotoshoho
Yutakayama

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
ilmucche

Y/O: Takakeisho
S/K: Ichinojo
M1-5: Tamawashi
M6-10: Tochinoshin

3 points is better than I would normally expect from a roster I picked

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Kenning posted:

Day 1 standings:

Missing from this list? I feel like I should change my name, tbh, it is easily typoed

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

ullerrm posted:

Missing from this list? I feel like I should change my name, tbh, it is easily typoed

You're definitely in my sheet, it's probably a typo as you guessed (I've typo'd your name before). I'll fix it in a little bit when I'm at my computer.

e: fixed

Skjorte posted:

Just send in picks and I'll put you in for day 2.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 11, 2022

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

bad fantasy day but it felt good to just be able to watch an almost entirely complete slate of makuuchi rikishi compete after last basho

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Hoshoryu is apparently still suffering from an ankle injury sustained two months ago according to reports. Hopefully he can pull out an 8-7 record and heal up before november.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Kenning posted:

You're definitely in my sheet, it's probably a typo as you guessed (I've typo'd your name before). I'll fix it in a little bit when I'm at my computer.

I think i'm missing too. should be in the 3 point crowd unless I'm missing something.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

pseudodragon posted:

I think i'm missing too. should be in the 3 point crowd unless I'm missing something.

Yep, another typo issue. I've updated the results to include you.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
gently caress Ryuden

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Kenning posted:

Yep, another typo issue. I've updated the results to include you.

havent watched yet, but i am also missing unless i'm in fantasy makushita now

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
drat Shodai looking pretty warmed up and aware of who he's going to face

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Shiroc posted:

drat Shodai looking pretty warmed up and aware of who he's going to face

i'm still reeling from figuring out that his 'what's going on here' look was because he was literally receiving a lot of really stressful information right that second.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Kind of a yikes moment from Asanoyama vs Kawazoe in Makushita tonight:
https://clips.twitch.tv/CallousAlluringKoupreySMOrc-s3GCfkrR_O1ToBr1

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Hey, what's Ryuden's deal? I saw some people on Midnight Sumo complaining about him but they didn't mention specifics, just that a lot of them hate his guts.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Ice Phisherman posted:

Hey, what's Ryuden's deal? I saw some people on Midnight Sumo complaining about him but they didn't mention specifics, just that a lot of them hate his guts.

pseudodragon posted:

Fluffdaddy posted:

The bottom of 20 guys are all extremely bland so picking a healthy ryuden isn't that crazy.

Ryuden is objectively one of the best picks for the bottom ranks.

But at the very least

https://tachiai.org/2021/05/27/board-meeting-news/

quote:

A decision has been made about Ryuden
Ryden has been found guilty of breaking the NSK’s COVID regulations, having gone on unnecessary outings 25 times between March 2020 and January 2021, for the purpose of seeing a woman who was not his wife. Those meeting happened mostly during basho, some just before it.

Ryuden’s punishment is a suspension for 3 basho, including Natsu basho, which he has already spent kyujo. He should be back by November, and will likely be ranked at Makushita by then.

Ryuden’s shisho, Takadagawa oyakata, has been punished with a reduction of 20% of his salary for 6 months.

And possibly
https://tachiai.org/2021/05/19/asanoyama-absent-from-day-12-due-to-covid-guideline-violations/

quote:

(This tabloid is even less credible) – The reason Ryuden has been kyujo is an affair he has had with a woman for three years, including her getting pregnant and him demanding that she abort the fetus, and attempting to silence her with money. It is not clear in what way this has been a violation of the COVID regulations. The tabloid got Ryuden’s attorney’s comment: “The matter is under investigation of the NSK compliance committee so we cannot comment”.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

havent watched yet, but i am also missing unless i'm in fantasy makushita now

Lol, okay, clearly my new system for sorting out fantasy makuuchi from fantasy juryo didn't work this round. I've edited the original post to get your day 1 scores in. Hopefully we'll have this all settled by day 3.

Goddamn, Shikimori Inosuke does not have a great voice for announcing the top division guys in advance of the dohyo-iri. It sounds rough.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bentai posted:

Kind of a yikes moment from Asanoyama vs Kawazoe in Makushita tonight:
https://clips.twitch.tv/CallousAlluringKoupreySMOrc-s3GCfkrR_O1ToBr1

OK, what the gently caress. First of all, his opponent looked 14 years old. Second of all, I heard the tendons in my legs screaming. That was really loving gross.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Marching Powder posted:

OK, what the gently caress. First of all, his opponent looked 14 years old. Second of all, I heard the tendons in my legs screaming. That was really loving gross.

He's 23, from Hakuho's stable, listed as 166cm tall (Enho is listed as 169cm).

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Brut posted:

He's 23, from Hakuho's stable, listed as 166cm tall (Enho is listed as 169cm).

praying that 23 is still in that window of youth where you're basically invincible

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Beautiful ashitori from Ura.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Holy poo poo, Kirbayama out-Shodai'd Shodai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Pretty fun day 2, glad I was able to watch it live again, even if I had to stick with the Abema stream and their weird hip-hop track they use for sumo coverage.

Day 2 standings

Makuuchi
code:
8	Charles Gnarwin
8	Chinook
8	Crusty Nutsack
8	Mode 7
7	Flinger
7	Kenning
7	Saturnine Aberrance
7	Vargatron
7	pseudodragon
6	Iron Chef Nex
6	jmzero
6	Jobbo_Fett
6	Lid
6	MyChemicalImbalance
6	Netsky
6	Thauros
6	Tiny Bug Child
6	Tochiazuma
6	whats for dinner
5	anakha
5	Banana Canada
5	bartolimu
5	bessantj
5	Eli949
5	Ice Phisherman
5	Khizan
5	Neodoomium
5	NuclearPotato
5	Robviously
5	S.W.O.R.D. Agent
5	Everyones Favorite Poster
4	GoatSeeGuy
4	Marching Powder
4	Takuan
4	Teddybear
3	Communist Thoughts
3	Fluffdaddy
3	scripterror
3	ullerrm
2	sivad
Juryo
code:
8	Brut
6	Ben Nerevarine
6	Helianthus Annuus
6	ilmucche
6	Liquid Communism
6	Log082
6	PJ
5	Akiosan
5	Biosys
5	Enfys
5	Kuros
5	Lexorin
5	LlamaTrauma
4	Bentai
4	Boogalo
4	Gaghskull
4	Maigius
4	oldskool
4	Pakled
4	ratmosphere
4	KungFu Grip
3	Dead Goon
3	MalarkeyToboggan
3	QuasiQuack
3	rare Magic card l00k
3	Xerzes
2	Mekchu
Just wanna note, Akiosan swept all 5 on day 1, and got totally hosed on day 2. What a rollercoaster of emotions.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 13, 2022