Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Kotohira is ideal for tourists, but I have no experience with hotels there.
Shikoku Aquarium is the first place that made like like dolphins.

There are both luxury ryokan and hippie hostels in the Oboke/Koboke area along the train line. Iya Valley and Kazurabashi is pretty cool but my favorite is the Oboke river boat tour and the Yokai and Gemstone museum.

Yokai House
https://maps.app.goo.gl/rmNCpMq7TDNRNEL26

Sunriver Oboke hotel has an outdoor bath with a view of the railroad bridge. Happy Raft has bilingual/international staff.

Kochi would be an ideal spot to make friends with locals at an izakaya and get very very drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeza posted:

To those who know Shikoku, does that sound reasonable? En route places like Kotohira/near Iya Valley?

Kotohira is good. If you don't mind stairs, go all the way to the top. How do you feel about udon? I don't think there's anything to eat there that isn't udon.

I think Yashima is also worth a visit if you will be spending time in Takamatsu. If you have the time, I suggest walking down the north side where you can check out the caves where people hid during the Genpei wars and then at the bottom there's Nagasaki no Hana, which I think is the northern-most point in Shikoku and there's a cannon there that the local warlord installed in I think the 1850s but I don't remember what the story was on that. The only problem is that if you don't have a car, you will probably have to walk back up the mountain to catch the bus back to town. If you can be there around sunset, I'm pretty sure the sunset looking west from that point of land over the sea is the most beautiful I've ever seen anywhere.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
My geography and map memory is awful, but if I remember right that Sunriver Oboke place isn’t crazy far (if you’re driving) from a few destinations like the peeing boy statue, the vine bridges and the town with all the dolls.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

@Jeza

Stop by Go Go Curry for me and get a medium #1, the working office man's curry straight from Kanazawa.

gently caress Coco Curry, trash :blastu:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I know the entry and visa restriction lifting is fairly recent so maybe this doesn't yet exist, but has anyone seen any accounts of what it's like to actually enter Japan right now? The logistics of proving your travel and accommodations were booked with a legit travel agency feels like it could either be some lengthy drawn out process with an embassy/consulate in your home country pre-flight, or just showing a printout of some booking on official letterhead when you enter customs after landing in JP.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

AHH F/UGH posted:

Stop by Go Go Curry for me and get a medium #1, the working office man's curry straight from Kanazawa.
I've got their T-shirt but the curry is terrible.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

My geography and map memory is awful, but if I remember right that Sunriver Oboke place isn’t crazy far (if you’re driving) from a few destinations like the peeing boy statue, the vine bridges and the town with all the dolls.

My friend went to doll village recently and said the scarecrows are too spooky

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The creepy doll town is actually pretty far from Oboke, I want to say about an hour?, but if you go there you're already halfway to Mt. Tsurugi, which is worth a visit if you have the time.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

I've got their T-shirt but the curry is terrible.

Boo this man

Kanazawa curry rules

I bet you like corn on pizza too, don't you, you monster

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

AHH F/UGH posted:

Boo this man

Kanazawa curry rules

I bet you like corn on pizza too, don't you, you monster

every time i read one of these i giggle to myself at the thought of some corner of 2ch or something where japanese guys are raving about how mind blowing applebees or chili's or something like that was when they visited the US that one time.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
I just landed in Japan, and the immigration at Narita was quite busier than I expected. Things seem to be picking up.

Having said that, does anyone have recommendations on Kyoto? I'll likely be at the Park Hyatt Kyoto but otherwise, open to recommendations.

Also torn on flying from Haneda or taking the Shinkansen.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

i fly airplanes posted:

Flying... from Tokyo to Kyoto? Absolutely do not do that lmao. Shinkansen is better in every way.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

peanut posted:

My friend went to doll village recently and said the scarecrows are too spooky
Maybe in the middle of the night. In the day they’re pretty charming I thought!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

i fly airplanes posted:

You’d have to be landing in Osaka right? So you go by train to Haneda, go through the check-in, wait and fly, get out of the airport, take probably an hour-plus train or bus from there…or take the Shinkansen from Tokyo/Shinagawa, relax and ride, and then get a taxi from Kyoto Station.

(Tokyo to Hiroshima or Fukuoka is my personal thoughts on the flying/bullet train break-even on time).

some kinda jackal posted:

I know the entry and visa restriction lifting is fairly recent so maybe this doesn't yet exist, but has anyone seen any accounts of what it's like to actually enter Japan right now?

I wonder how much of this is rolled into the check-in app they have, or if that is now even required due to the PCR test removal now. Will have to ask around.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I would even be willing to spend a little more time on the train just because I'm settled in for the entire time and it's way more comfortable, whereas even with the same amount of time, I'd have to do a bunch of moving around and other stuff if I fly.

All the way to Fukuoka I could see flying, but even Hiroshima, I think I'd rather take the train. And isn't the Hiroshima airport way out in the middle of nowhere and a pain to get to? Maybe it's either not true or hasn't been that way for a while, but I seem to remember that when I looked into flying to Hiroshima.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Flying... from Tokyo to Kyoto? Absolutely do not do that lmao. Shinkansen is better in every way.

nothing wrong with it, if youre going straight from the airport itll probably take about is quick and will likely be cheaper

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Thank you all for suggestions, will check out and report soon. Was getting a bit caught up in birthday stuff.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

And isn't the Hiroshima airport way out in the middle of nowhere and a pain to get to? Maybe it's either not true or hasn't been that way for a while, but I seem to remember that when I looked into flying to Hiroshima.

It's like a 40 minute direct bus ride to the city centre, so not as convenient as airports with train connections, but it's not that bad.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

harperdc posted:

(Tokyo to Hiroshima or Fukuoka is my personal thoughts on the flying/bullet train break-even on time).

looking at investors fact sheets the shinkansen captures like 2/3 of the market for travel between tokyo-hiroshima against airlines while it captures just 10% of the tokyo-fukuoka market, so the break-even time is probably around hiroshima?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

I would even be willing to spend a little more time on the train just because I'm settled in for the entire time and it's way more comfortable, whereas even with the same amount of time, I'd have to do a bunch of moving around and other stuff if I fly.

Worldwide I find trains are almost everything I like about flying without almost everything I hate about flying. Train stations are almost always in the middle of town whereas airports are farther away so that extra transit time has to be factored in too; given all that I'll choose a somewhat longer train ride unless time is critical or I get a screaming deal on plane tickets.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ive met a few foreigners obsessed with curry and go go curry in particular. they were all weirdo brits

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Booked my ticket to Haneda. Now just time to jump through the hoops. Does anyone have a preferred or recommended certified tour operator?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Omerta posted:

Booked my ticket to Haneda. Now just time to jump through the hoops. Does anyone have a preferred or recommended certified tour operator?

I thought you had to do the tour operator first, and they bought all the tickets, including the flight.

Man, this whole thing is a mess.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BB2K posted:

nothing wrong with it, if youre going straight from the airport itll probably take about is quick and will likely be cheaper

The shinkansen goes from downtown to downtown in two hours. There's a train every ten minutes so you don't need to give a moment's thought to scheduling. There's no waiting in lines, no security bullshit, no bag restrictions, all the leg room you could ever need, you just waltz on with your ekiben and a sack full of Strong Zero and chill out. If you fly that short a distance you're a chump deserving of scorn and mockery.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

I thought you had to do the tour operator first, and they bought all the tickets, including the flight.

Man, this whole thing is a mess.

That's the official guidance but it doesn't seem to be being enforced at all.

https://www.j-g-a.org/erfs.html is the agency/product that most people seem to be going for, and they just rubber stamp your own bookings. I've seen a few reports of people successfully entering this week using them

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

No Mods No Masters posted:

That's the official guidance but it doesn't seem to be being enforced at all.

https://www.j-g-a.org/erfs.html is the agency/product that most people seem to be going for, and they just rubber stamp your own bookings. I've seen a few reports of people successfully entering this week using them

$300 per person? hahahahahahah.

E: I forgot the borked exchange rate. So like $225 per person.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah the yen situation makes it a little better. In either case that's getting off light compared to booking everything through an agency 99% of the time I would think

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

$300 per person? hahahahahahah.

E: I forgot the borked exchange rate. So like $225 per person.

If you just GOTTA BE THERE NOW you're gonna pay for the privilege.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have to imagine that going through a tour operator will be equally as expensive. They’re going to mark whatever they book for you up enough to make a profit. If this is still in effect in May I’ll easily pay $300 for the convenience of a rubber stamp.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Shibawanko posted:

ive met a few foreigners obsessed with curry and go go curry in particular. they were all weirdo brits

That's not fair, considering how 100% of Brits in Japan are verifiable weirdos

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

The shinkansen goes from downtown to downtown in two hours. There's a train every ten minutes so you don't need to give a moment's thought to scheduling. There's no waiting in lines, no security bullshit, no bag restrictions, all the leg room you could ever need, you just waltz on with your ekiben and a sack full of Strong Zero and chill out. If you fly that short a distance you're a chump deserving of scorn and mockery.

Just for the record, there actually are luggage restrictions now, though it's still more generous than most domestic flights.

https://www.jrpass.com/blog/how-much-luggage-can-i-bring-on-the-shinkansen-and-japanese-trains

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 11, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I wasn't specific, I meant like bringing liquids and stuff. You don't have to deal with any of that. Don't bring 12 suitcases.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If a one-time fee of $300 is deal breaker for a 2-3 week trip, you shouldn't be traveling.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

looking at investors fact sheets the shinkansen captures like 2/3 of the market for travel between tokyo-hiroshima against airlines while it captures just 10% of the tokyo-fukuoka market, so the break-even time is probably around hiroshima?

That sounds fair, I was thinking more in terms of what I’d want to do. But it’s also based on memory of a friend who visited me from Tokyo out in Kyushu by the slow Shinkansen.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Rumor is all the remaining restrictions are going away in October (and these newspaper rumors have usually been correct) so no reason to rush into all the visa and itinerary stuff anyway.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

If you see a "rumor" in Japan it has already been 100% confirmed.

God I hope they let the gaijin in just in time for Shibuya Halloween.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Deputy Chief Cabinet Secretary Seiji Kihara, whoever that is, apparently said something vaguely along those lines on a TV program.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2022/09/11/national/japan-tourism/

quote:

Japan is reviewing its border control policy of keeping daily entries below 50,000 and will remove it in the “not so distant future,” a government spokesman said Sunday.

The government will simultaneously relax other restrictions, including a visa requirement and the requirement to travel on a package tour, when it completely lifts the daily cap on overseas arrivals, Deputy Chief Cabinet Secretary Seiji Kihara said during a Fuji Television program.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

AHH F/UGH posted:

That's not fair, considering how 100% of Brits in Japan are verifiable weirdos

See, this is why I hesitate to go. I don't wanna be one of 'em.

Embarrass myself enough in my native country as is.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

See, this is why I hesitate to go. I don't wanna be one of 'em.

Embarrass myself enough in my native country as is.

If you have this much self awareness you're in no danger of being one of them. You'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I'm all the people who've been threatening for months that they won't come and spend their money now excitedly planning out their 2 week tour.