Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
"play testing,"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm not one to ever cheer for WotC but this is like the precise case I'll make an exception

Sometimes two wrongs make a right.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Here's a whole thread that goes through them
https://twitter.com/NoHateInGaming/status/1568288911297847296?s=20&t=s-bkeJIpfNwcrcmoLSej3A
https://twitter.com/NoHateInGaming/status/1568299627216093188
https://twitter.com/NoHateInGaming/status/1568308273430036480

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"Tales & Tots" sounds super skeevy in context, and jesus christ what's wrong with their faces

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Lol I'm pretty sure the last one is perjury. Lol get hosed loser

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Weren't they saying at one point they'd get one hundred million or something crazy to get 'bought off?'

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Weren't they saying at one point they'd get one hundred million or something crazy to get 'bought off?'

They've already played out the whole proceedings in their minds and have foreseen that they will come out of this rich and vindicated. They think like chess. It's already over.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

joylessdivision posted:

Alas, if there's something we've learned from the commentary surrounding the Alex Jones trial, it's that perjury almost never actually gets punished, courts simply don't bother with it even in pretty clear-cut cases where the judge is actively hostile to the perjurer.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

joylessdivision posted:

OP is misreading the provision - you’re not swearing that you don’t know of anyone using it, you’re swearing that you don’t think that there’s anyone using it in a way that is likely to make people confused between the two uses.

Wizards is going to win this, but trying to get a fraud/perjury charge out of that is going to be hard.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kestral posted:

Alas, if there's something we've learned from the commentary surrounding the Alex Jones trial, it's that perjury almost never actually gets punished, courts simply don't bother with it even in pretty clear-cut cases where the judge is actively hostile to the perjurer.

True, although the Jones trial was about damages so I'm not sure how much his perjuring himself should have had if it had been a normal trial instead of "You've been such a pain in the rear end that we're default ruling on your rear end"

Either way, gently caress this racist fake TSR dude is what I'm saying. gently caress WOTC too because lol gently caress cheering a corporation but let them fight dot gif

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

WotC being the good guys as a large corporation obliterating a small studio is not something I ever expected to happen, much less enthusiastically cheer on, but here we are I guess.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

WotC being the good guys as a large corporation obliterating a small studio is not something I ever expected to happen, much less enthusiastically cheer on, but here we are I guess.

An injunction is an order to stop. It's not ruinous per se. An injunction from a well-funded adversary clearly can crush a small studio that decides to fight it (at their own expense, which is the American way) and/or that has no original ideas, which . . . welp.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So of all the right-wing douchebags in the hobby, the nuTSR crew is easily the dumbest, right? Even Venger Satanis isn't this downright stupid. They write like the TimeCube guy.

The Shortest Path posted:

Kalman posted:

Wizards is going to win this, but trying to get a fraud/perjury charge out of that is going to be hard.
They have every reason to pursue this, if only to discourage every online Nazi attention whore from loving with their PR. I'm very entertained.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I’d be more amused at Wizards facing perjury if it turns out that in fact they do not treat RPGs as important to them, or the market does not grow. :)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hyphz posted:

I’d be more amused at Wizards facing perjury if it turns out that in fact they do not treat RPGs as important to them, or the market does not grow. :)

Wizards is facing perjury? What? This is getting crazy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

hyphz posted:

They don't, it's basically a drop in the bucket compared to MtG. If they cared at all with would be well staffed by professionals.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

moths posted:

They don't, it's basically a drop in the bucket compared to MtG. If they cared at all with would be well staffed by professionals.

The threshhold is really low: they have people whose job it is to do RPG things, and that's probably enough. Courts are very reluctant to presume they know or can learn how businesses in any industry should be run.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh, yeah as long as they have anybody sitting at an RPG desk they're fine - it'd just be funny if "Do you actually care about this wing if your business?" devolved into "...and who is this Zachary Ess fellow?"

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Subjunctive posted:

Wizards is facing perjury? What? This is getting crazy.

No, this was just a joke that Wizards had stated in their court documents that “RPGs are a growing market and important to them.”

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

moths posted:

From what I've heard, WotC is divided into Magic and Not Magic. Everyone in Not Magic comes to work every Friday half expecting to find their stuff packed.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

To be fair, some of them do the important work of "Producing TCGs that go bust after two expansions to further solidify the notion that Magic is the only reliable investment and the only TCG with any sort of longevity, so why would you park your money anywhere else?"

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Toph Bei Fong posted:

To be fair, some of them do the important work of "Producing TCGs that go bust after two expansions to further solidify the notion that Magic is the only reliable investment and the only TCG with any sort of longevity, so why would you park your money anywhere else?"

I think that's less of a deliberate thing and more Hasbro doesn't see the value in continuing to produce a niche product. They set Magic as the benchmark, and if something doesn't perform to it they shutter development. Of course it doesn't help that they tend to buy out any competition that looks like it may reach Magic levels given time, then kill the gameline when it fails to in 8 quarters.
I'm reminded a little of MMOs, and how there was that huge window where everything had to be the "WoW Killer." However it was impossible to invest the resources into a launch title that had built up as much momentum as Warcraft, and certainly couldn't survive the growing pains or iterations needed to build to anything resembling a critical mass so publishers would put stuff on life support within a year of release or just close the servers down since there couldn't be a modest success.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

joylessdivision posted:

True, although the Jones trial was about damages so I'm not sure how much his perjuring himself should have had if it had been a normal trial instead of "You've been such a pain in the rear end that we're default ruling on your rear end"

It’s more that Jones perjured himself to high heaven such that even laymen could tell, and it brought lawyers out of the woodwork to inform us that perjury as a crime you can get charged for doesn’t really exist.

Regular people get really hyped about perjury potential because it’s been me of the very few laws we understand clearly: if you lie under oath, That’s A Crime. But the courts simply do not care, because you have to be able to prove that someone actually lied rather than misspoke, was misinformed, etc., and doing this is more trouble than it’s worth.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think Jones could've won a defamation suit if he'd actually tried to conduct a defense, but yeah, he perjured himself at the damages part a lot, so who knows.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Coolness Averted posted:

I think that's less of a deliberate thing and more Hasbro doesn't see the value in continuing to produce a niche product. They set Magic as the benchmark, and if something doesn't perform to it they shutter development. Of course it doesn't help that they tend to buy out any competition that looks like it may reach Magic levels given time, then kill the gameline when it fails to in 8 quarters.
I'm reminded a little of MMOs, and how there was that huge window where everything had to be the "WoW Killer." However it was impossible to invest the resources into a launch title that had built up as much momentum as Warcraft, and certainly couldn't survive the growing pains or iterations needed to build to anything resembling a critical mass so publishers would put stuff on life support within a year of release or just close the servers down since there couldn't be a modest success.

Kinda lol that Final Fantasy actually ended up succeeding at that.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

it did take them two tries but yeah, they worked it out

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I dunno if being still standing while WoW shoots itself in the foot counts as "killing WoW". :v:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Related to those legal documents, I did laugh when I got to the legal letter from the director of publishing, where they included their apology for the hadozee as evidence of their commitment to diversity:

https://twitter.com/NoHateInGaming/status/1568302644174651402

(Also a bit funny springboarding off of Critical Role to issue a rote commitment to diversity.)

And I didn't see this tweet before, it's great:

edit-

Now I'm scrolling through the EN World timeline again to see what else has happened. Apparently there was a video of someone accessing a Google Drive nuTSR manages which has a full-on enemies list in it. Linking to the post where it's uncovered rather than the image, as there's some transphobic language in some of the entries.

As a small sampler: Venger Satanis is on the list as "Derick Dishaw Venger Satanic" with a reason of "fake ally, look into his past with him trying to do suicide by cop to use against him."

So essentially, Justin LaNasa is Regina George writing a burn book, if Mean Girls was about a coterie of buffoonish white nationalists trying to make it big in the tabletop roleplaying industry.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 11, 2022

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

NuTSR posted:

from australia POS WOKE garbage

So, a woke Australian.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Zereth posted:

I dunno if being still standing while WoW shoots itself in the foot counts as "killing WoW". :v:

it's hilarious that Blizzard is obsessed with trying to run concurrent events/releases with FFXIV's big releases.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Zereth posted:

It might not be "actively" "killing" WoW but it's providing a high-quality alternative to WoW at a time when people are looking for something new (whether because WoW is just old hat, or because WoW is becoming worse), which is basically how you become the hot new thing. The problem all the WoW killers had was that they were basically trying to be a better WoW than WoW, in a market already dominated by WoW. Which of course isn't going to work, because even if you could offer a technically better product (which you can't, because that costs more money than you have available), all the WoW players are already busy playing WoW.

It's a bit like trying to compete with Dungeons & Dragons in the tabletop RPG industry by selling people on Better D&D. You can't, because everyone who'd be interested are largely already playing D&D. The only product to come close to rivaling D&D was Vampire, which was Emphatically Not D&D capitalising on a pop-culture trend that D&D had basically no overlap with.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Zereth posted:

It’s the only MMO to ever surpass wow in monthly subs, and did so by a pretty large margin.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

LatwPIAT posted:

It might not be "actively" "killing" WoW but it's providing a high-quality alternative to WoW at a time when people are looking for something new (whether because WoW is just old hat, or because WoW is becoming worse), which is basically how you become the hot new thing. The problem all the WoW killers had was that they were basically trying to be a better WoW than WoW, in a market already dominated by WoW. Which of course isn't going to work, because even if you could offer a technically better product (which you can't, because that costs more money than you have available), all the WoW players are already busy playing WoW.

It's a bit like trying to compete with Dungeons & Dragons in the tabletop RPG industry by selling people on Better D&D. You can't, because everyone who'd be interested are largely already playing D&D. The only product to come close to rivaling D&D was Vampire, which was Emphatically Not D&D capitalising on a pop-culture trend that D&D had basically no overlap with.

Well... ultimately FFXIV did pass WoW by making a better WoW. 2.0 was explicitly built on the foundation of what WoW defined as a "good MMO." The problem with most MMOs that were trying to beat WoW was that they kept making "WoW but more hardcore" and had no end-game content. People left WoW for Age of Conan in droves, but came back a week later because they either (a) realized they didn't want to play on a FFA PvP server 100% of the time or (b) got to max level and realized there was nothing to do but FFA PvP.

What FFXIV managed was to make an MMO that was better WoW in ways that brought in new players and existing MMO players with good story content and a game design that didn't require 100% of your time.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Who would have guessed that Tim Kask would be in the pocket of Big Gygax?

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

DalaranJ posted:

Who would have guessed that Tim Kask would be in the pocket of Big Gygax?

Big Gygax is WOTC?

Separately, Kask has spent the last few days firing boomer memes off into Facebookworld, so who the gently caress knows.

Eastmabl fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 12, 2022

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ettin posted:

So, a woke Australian.

Perhaps it was a bad idea casting out all the worst criminals and delinquents to continent full of dangerous endgame content. It's optimized you all to be a truly dangerous woke horde that could wash over us at any moment.

Eastmabl posted:

Big Gygax is WOTC?

Separately, Kask has spent the last few days firing boomer memes off into Facebookworld, so who the gently caress knows.

Justin LaNasa noted on his enemies list that Tim Kask was "IN POCKET OF LUKE GYGAX"

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Perhaps it was a bad idea casting out all the worst criminals and delinquents to continent full of dangerous endgame content. It's optimized you all to be a truly dangerous woke horde that could wash over us at any moment.

Justin LaNasa noted on his enemies list that Tim Kask was "IN POCKET OF LUKE GYGAX"

Isn't Luke Gygax just a veteran that runs a convention? How deep are his pockets that he's got whole rear end guys in there?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

theironjef posted:

Isn't Luke Gygax just a veteran that runs a convention? How deep are his pockets that he's got whole rear end guys in there?

LaNasa hates Luke Gygax for basically appealing to the same audience but with much more success. LaNasa presumably doesn't understand that this is because Luke Gygax is, to my understanding, a nice and reliable guy who is not lovely, runs good conventions, and produces good RPG stuff of his own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

theironjef posted:

Not deep at all. He distanced himself from nuTSR, Justin LaNasa, Ernie Gygax, Dave Johnson, etc. So LaNasa is conspiracy crafting like before when the first twitter meltdown happened and he said it was a WotC false flag op.

But relatedly, to heighten the Mean Girls energy, nuTSR set up a "TSR Con" the same weekend as Gary Con (which Luke Gygax manages) last March. They had it in the Dungeon Hobby Shop Museum and by their certainly credible reports, it went really well and all their friends were laughing with them right off camera: "lol, actually we asked just about every one of the 800 people stopping by, TSR CON, and about 60% had no idea Gary con was going on, and we tried pushing them to go over and attend."