Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
MOV being Turing complete is a giant cheat, because MOV is an assembly mnemonic, not an instruction. You could easily use like six different mnemonics for what Intel spells as just MOV, and that’s without making r/r moves their own mnemonic or accounting for suffixes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

rjmccall posted:

MOV being Turing complete is a giant cheat, because MOV is an assembly mnemonic, not an instruction. You could easily use like six different mnemonics for what Intel spells as just MOV, and that’s without making r/r moves their own mnemonic or accounting for suffixes.

They did in 8080 days, too. The ergonomics weren't great (and Zilog made it all LD in Z80).

http://popolony2k.com.br/xtras/programming/asm/nemesis-lonestar/8080-z80-instruction-set.html

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Is it a racial slur or something?

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

i remember being young and wanting to rename things for no good reason. that's a lesson only experience can teach you.

nope, just a name he thinks is confusing. dude has been programming since i was a toddler and has otherwise decent ideas, but this one is a real :psyduck:

pokeyman posted:

Guessing "master"

hah, no

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
i'm turing complete, but only if a dippy bird taps my forehead several times a minute

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I'm still confused by the database being named "production". We're a loving website, we aren't producing anything!!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
You're producing torment, so there's that at least

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I still somehow produce reasons for people to keep paying me after all this time

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vanadium posted:

I'm still confused by the database being named "production". We're a loving website, we aren't producing anything!!

I hope the same server has several "dev_" databases

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
dev_
int_
dev_int_
dev_test_
dev_dev_

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
prod
dev
dev_test
dev_test_carl
dev_test_jim
dev_text_jhon
dev_test_jim2

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

rjmccall posted:

That does seem slightly a matter of semantics, though. In Arm land, ldr r0, [r0] and ldr r0, [r1] are encoded differently (obviously), as a reductio ad absurdum. One could argue the assembly view is going to matter more to anyone not generating machine code or on the hardware side (i.e. you, though I've also written a hobby Arm code generator).

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Doom Mathematic posted:

Okay so, one, deploy to production over the top of this person's changes, instantly trashing any changes they've made. Do this repeatedly every time they touch production, until they get the message. You have a deployment process, right? Which this person is circumventing?

Two, if your boss doesn't care who has direct access to production, then implicitly you are free to gate that access as you see fit. So do that. Don't ask. You clearly don't need permission.

I've already made it clear I refuse to have anything to do with his code. He's broke it, he fixes it. The TCP Server is his hosed up baby now.

This other recent thing was an incursion in my code, and yeah, he can keep changing it on the server, but it dies on deploy day. Because the CI process has been there longer than he has. And if the boss doesnt like it, he's not going to get any cooperation to deliberately break a system that protects us to enable a guy who doesnt.

Anyway. Were working on rebuildin to a serverless system, so this dude either gets with the program or he's gonna get left in the dust. Boss protection only goes far when it comes to incompetence.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
How is he allowed to access production servers?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Somebody probably gave him the password on day one

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have complete admin access to my startup's AWS account.

I probably should not have complete admin access to my startup's AWS account.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

That does seem slightly a matter of semantics, though. In Arm land, ldr r0, [r0] and ldr r0, [r1] are encoded differently (obviously), as a reductio ad absurdum. One could argue the assembly view is going to matter more to anyone not generating machine code or on the hardware side (i.e. you, though I've also written a hobby Arm code generator).

Yeah, defining instructions is remarkably hard, especially on a lot of legacy ISAs like x86 where you sometimes get stuff like literally the exact same operation having multiple encodings. And the flexibility of an r/m operand in x86 means that a single encoding pattern can represent several different logical operations — case in point, the “load” MOVs and “store” MOVs can both be used to do register-to-register moves. Nonetheless, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to point out that most of the power here is just the arbitrary choice of x86 assembly to use a single mnemonic and disambiguate in other ways; it’s not anything especially interesting about the architecture.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Feels different than saying a single instruction like "subtract and branch if less than or equal to zero" is Turing-complete.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Macichne Leainig posted:

I have complete admin access to my startup's AWS account.

I probably should not have complete admin access to my startup's AWS account.

What kind of startup? A real early 4 person startup will have pretty lax internal security. It almost has to.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Yeah, there's a size limit where "disgruntled/incompetent employee burns everything down" is sufficiently unlikely to not warrant lots of effort on finely grained internal controls.

Spending a month of effort on that isn't a good idea if the company only has a couple years of operating runway

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Also if you're at the scale where a single disgruntled employee can sink your business even if they don't have production access, it's much less of a big deal.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

duck monster posted:

This fucker codes on the production server.
Blow up production server. There's no backups (of course there's no backups), and rebuild from latest committed revision. Should undo everything he's done, right?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Foxfire_ posted:

Yeah, there's a size limit where "disgruntled/incompetent employee burns everything down" is sufficiently unlikely to not warrant lots of effort on finely grained internal controls.

It's frankly a security nightmare that I have the admin keys to my home personal projects

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

lifg posted:

What kind of startup? A real early 4 person startup will have pretty lax internal security. It almost has to.

Much larger. We're up to 100ish employees and probably 8+ years of capital runway secured

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

As a Lua programmer, I appreciate this deeply cursed object.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

zokie posted:

How is he allowed to access production servers?

When he was handed access to the TCP server (I'm being vague here, NDA. Its an end point for a IOT type thing) he was handed that whole project over from me so I could turn to other parts of the system. After an argument over his idiot plan to replace the old nodejs server with a PHP one (after he lied to the boss and told him nodejs cant do multitasking. like gently caress?) I just gave up and said "Fine, I want nothing to do with it" and the boss gave him the full keys to that one. That PHP replacement is a hot mess. All the SQL is via interpolated strings, the front end is a jquery horrorshow (He actually flew into a fit when he first started and wrote a full page rant about how he wanted our front end people to drop vuejs for jquery, and was soundly told to gently caress off and keep away)

He has no access to the two main clusters (data ingress , where the TCP server is sending info too and front end) because its a kubernetes system and I suspect he'd have no idea where to even begin with it. And in all honesty if he tried I suspect the boss would have a mutiny from the rest of the devs.

That said, I've been interviewing new developers for the team and have been carefully but covertly insisting on requirements that would let us drop in a replacement for this guy.

On the side I've been working with security on building a new set of security guidelines enforced by policy that he'll need to either adapt to or gently caress off. Mandatory code reviews, security linting to turn all those SQL injections into giant blaring sirens, etc, prohibiting uses of unprepared SQL as well as a policy that is phasing out PHP entirely so that everything is going to be using either lambda or kubernetes python architecture gated behind CI.

And this guy has proven himself almost violently unwilling to learn anything that isnt old school PHP

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
:stare:

Uh... I hope you're also interviewing for other companies.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

duck monster posted:

When he was handed access to the TCP server (I'm being vague here, NDA. Its an end point for a IOT type thing) he was handed that whole project over from me so I could turn to other parts of the system. After an argument over his idiot plan to replace the old nodejs server with a PHP one (after he lied to the boss and told him nodejs cant do multitasking. like gently caress?) I just gave up and said "Fine, I want nothing to do with it" and the boss gave him the full keys to that one. That PHP replacement is a hot mess. All the SQL is via interpolated strings, the front end is a jquery horrorshow (He actually flew into a fit when he first started and wrote a full page rant about how he wanted our front end people to drop vuejs for jquery, and was soundly told to gently caress off and keep away)

He has no access to the two main clusters (data ingress , where the TCP server is sending info too and front end) because its a kubernetes system and I suspect he'd have no idea where to even begin with it. And in all honesty if he tried I suspect the boss would have a mutiny from the rest of the devs.

That said, I've been interviewing new developers for the team and have been carefully but covertly insisting on requirements that would let us drop in a replacement for this guy.

On the side I've been working with security on building a new set of security guidelines enforced by policy that he'll need to either adapt to or gently caress off. Mandatory code reviews, security linting to turn all those SQL injections into giant blaring sirens, etc, prohibiting uses of unprepared SQL as well as a policy that is phasing out PHP entirely so that everything is going to be using either lambda or kubernetes python architecture gated behind CI.

And this guy has proven himself almost violently unwilling to learn anything that isnt old school PHP

dude, i've fired people who would be 10x developers in comparison to this guy. have you had the "this dude may unironically have a learning disability or brain damage, I know you're concerned about an ada violation, but can you consider putting him on a project that will cause fewer problems" talk with your boss? the only times I've ever had problems as bad as this one involved developers who literally had part of their brain removed (brain cancer) / an addiction to painkillers, etc. and I got the real story just by being certain there is no way hosed up co-worker was working there on their own merit.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

sadly, many people emerged from the early 2000s with a terminal case of php & jquery brain yet it's not a recognized medical condition

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Jazerus posted:

sadly, many people emerged from the early 2000s with a terminal case of php & jquery brain yet it's not a recognized medical condition

long webdev. some improve with time; others are not as lucky

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

dude, i've fired people who would be 10x developers in comparison to this guy. have you had the "this dude may unironically have a learning disability or brain damage, I know you're concerned about an ada violation, but can you consider putting him on a project that will cause fewer problems" talk with your boss? the only times I've ever had problems as bad as this one involved developers who literally had part of their brain removed (brain cancer) / an addiction to painkillers, etc. and I got the real story just by being certain there is no way hosed up co-worker was working there on their own merit.

That unfortunately is not up to me. I'm 2IC to the project manager. The problem is this guy has big-boss protection and project manager has *no* interested in rocking that boat. Might be a clients son or something (We had one of those before with similarly catastrophic effects, thankfully THAT guy quit on his accord.)

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Jazerus posted:

Our main front end guy refuses to even interview people with jquery on the resume lol. As in "This person is too stupid to live, do not even interview". That bluntness is why I've been asking the boss to let me include front end guy in the interview panels. I'm far too polite, but front end guy isnt and he's been with the company since it opened the door so he gets to say things I consider my 1year on the job here not quite leveled up for yet.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Jazerus posted:

many years ago i was a contributor to jquery. it actually sucks worse than all the people who hate it know (btw I hate it more than you guys do)

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
As a developer who works occasionally (but not specifically) on front-end stuff, I don't know what the connotations are of listing jquery on one's resume. Can you explain?

My vague impression of jQuery is that it was a major thing when it was first released over a decade ago, but that some of what it did is now part of the relevant standards so it may be a bit redundant now. Also that it's a toolbox, rather than a framework.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Just refer to any frontend framework as "the jQuery"

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

many years ago i was a contributor to jquery. it actually sucks worse than all the people who hate it know (btw I hate it more than you guys do)

I've stepped through the main function of it before querySelector[All] existed, seeing what's basically an interpreter there was pretty wild.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I don't do a frontend webdev, but I guess I thought jQuery was the basis for every frontend framework that's obsolete 9 months after release.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

more falafel please posted:

I don't do a frontend webdev, but I guess I thought jQuery was the basis for every frontend framework that's obsolete 9 months after release.

Don't sign your posts

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

front end developers have to keep using new frameworks or the numb and rote nature of their work will set in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

mistermojo posted:

front end developers have to keep using new frameworks or the numb and rote nature of their work will set in

so that’s why JavaScript is filled with stupid poo poo