Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah the first season of True Detective is fantastic and I audibly gasped when Alexandra Daddario took her top off, quite the experience.

I just wish people wouldn't constantly post it on celeb nude sites. Did they just discover it?

2 was just boring and bad. You start off with this crazy murders and conspiracy in season 1 that may or may not have supernatural aspects, and then you get in season 2 boring city politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
All of the seasons have something different to offer.

I don't think it's possible to top season 1, though, so anything else is going to be a huge letdown by comparison.

imo, in season 3, it's questionable whether the solution to the mystery is even real and not just a diseased brain hoping.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Season 2 was hilarious for all the wrong reasons. The World’s Most Depressing Bar, for instance.

Season 1 is one of favourite TV things ever. The tinge of the supernatural, Louisiana as a stunning backdrop, McConaughey and Harrellson acting their hearts out. God, it’s so good.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Everything is loving!

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
The robbing of the stash house is some of the most tense and amazing poo poo

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

the second panel on this one made me do such a loud cackle that a coworker came in to check on me

There’s a whole thread

https://twitter.com/voughtintl/status/1570081406780608523?s=46&t=bACm3ybrGMV76_B-4c5XKA

I know it’s been said before but the Vought twitter feed is just A+.

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 14, 2022

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah True Detective season 1 is a total masterpiece. There are a variety of criticisms one could lobby against it but ultimately it’s just one of the best crime dramas ever produced with absolutely peerless performances by Harrelson & the de facto start of the McConaugh-aissance that lead to some of the biggest hits of his career.

Everyone knows the actual beginning date of the McConaugh-aissance was Lincoln Lawyer.

Also sex scenes are lame

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27OoVF98F2Y

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

I thought Homelander insisted on "Saving America" instead of "saving the world"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

That straining smile at the end, drat

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Elephant Ambush posted:

I thought Homelander insisted on "Saving America" instead of "saving the world"

America is the world

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The patpatpat on Ryan's shoulder is killing me, you can *hear* Homelander say "That's my boy, just like we practiced, and none of that silly business!"

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/VoughtIntl/status/1570804649644400641

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
lol. Just slipping the word “occasional” in there.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I'm loving the whole Voight/Twitterverse canon. Especially, as mentioned several times, the replies are usually all in-universe. Just a fun bit on social media instead of the usual garbage.

This.
\/\/\/

Wee Bairns fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 17, 2022

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's probably the only Brand engagement stuff that I've enjoyed rather than rolling my eyes at.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'd like it more if the gimmick didn't encourage people to cosplay as Homelander stans.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'd like it more if the gimmick didn't encourage people to cosplay as Homelander stans.

Go & post pro starlight stuff like i did

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's probably the only Brand engagement stuff that I've enjoyed rather than rolling my eyes at.

Vought and Steak-Umm are the only corporate brands I like, and tbh Steak-Umm is mostly just relatable millennial doom with occasional well-thought out threads

https://twitter.com/steak_umm/status/1549048969791057926?s=46&t=7k3JKVmhD6b3ZksB5vBPTQ

https://twitter.com/steak_umm/status/1565095062320467968?s=46&t=7k3JKVmhD6b3ZksB5vBPTQ

https://twitter.com/steak_umm/status/1570541877191135236?s=46&t=7k3JKVmhD6b3ZksB5vBPTQ

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you enjoy brand advertising you should go touch grass

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

That voiceover at the end sound a bit like David Hayter to anyone else?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Actually it was Mike’s voice

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
Why did the Boys, just straight up betray Soldier Boy? People do realize it was Butcher/The Boys that were literally in the wrong here, right?
https://i.imgur.com/tNB12v8.gifv

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

trapstar posted:

Why did the Boys, just straight up betray Soldier Boy? People do realize it was Butcher/The Boys that were literally in the wrong here, right?

Butcher's running a genocide against all superheroes, except maybe his son. He'll tolerate the friendly ones as long as they're useful, but it seems pretty clear he'd rather they all go extinct.

Also Soldier Boy was definitely not one of the good ones.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Also Soldier Boy was definitely not one of the good ones.

I'd consider him a good person :shrug:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
He killed MM's family with a car through the house and gave no fucks whatsoever. How, pray tell, is he a good person?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
He’s definitely extremely racist and killed multiple innocent people on screen several times

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

He killed MM's family with a car through the house and gave no fucks whatsoever. How, pray tell, is he a good person?

He keeps his word.

Bust Rodd posted:

He’s definitely extremely racist and killed multiple innocent people on screen several times

I don't think he's really racist at all, unlike Stormfront. His nuclear meltdown moments are out of his control and caused by his PTSD, he's a liability to public safety cause of this sure, but I don't think he's willingly a bad person. All you can really say is that he was a bit of a bully (Light Hazing) to his fellow Payback members.

I'd definitely say Homelander is about 100 000% worse.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

trapstar posted:

He keeps his word.

I don't think he's really racist at all, unlike Stormfront. His nuclear meltdown moments are out of his control and caused by his PTSD, he's a liability to public safety cause of this sure, but I don't think he's willingly a bad person. All you can really say is that he was a bit of a bully (Light Hazing) to his fellow Payback members.

Uh, plenty of evil shits aren't "willingly bad", they are bad because they follow their own lovely morals. Also, beating someone into a bloody pulp seems to go beyond light hazing, and it's kind of curious that he did that to the only black member of the team.

He probably also smacked Crimson Countess around when she mouthed off, I guess he is not a mysoginist because he didn't even think about whether it's wrong.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

Uh, plenty of evil shits aren't "willingly bad", they are bad because they follow their own lovely morals. Also, beating someone into a bloody pulp seems to go beyond light hazing, and it's kind of curious that he did that to the only black member of the team.

He probably also smacked Crimson Countess around when she mouthed off, I guess he is not a mysoginist because he didn't even think about whether it's wrong.

He also beat up Gunpowder too. And Noir was the instigator of plot against him the second time he got beat.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

trapstar posted:

He also beat up Gunpowder too. And Noir was the instigator of plot against him the second time he got beat.

Gunpowder is the one he hazed "lightly". Noir is the one he beat the poo poo out of when he spoke out of term, which must have contributed to everybody's decision to get rid of Soldier Boy because he is a piece of poo poo. Like, Crimson Countess is a phoney, Gunpowder a lovely gun nut and the Twins are gently caress-ups but that doesn't change the fact that Soldier Boy has been pretty monstrous towards them in a pretty thoughtless way. He isn't actively choosing to abuse the people around him, he just does.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

Gunpowder is the one he hazed "lightly". Noir is the one he beat the poo poo out of when he spoke out of term, which must have contributed to everybody's decision to get rid of Soldier Boy because he is a piece of poo poo. Like, Crimson Countess is a phoney, Gunpowder a lovely gun nut and the Twins are gently caress-ups but that doesn't change the fact that Soldier Boy has been pretty monstrous towards them in a pretty thoughtless way. He isn't actively choosing to abuse the people around him, he just does.

I play a lot of TTRPG's and honestly if I were to put a D&D alignment on Soldier Boy it would be Lawful Neutral.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

trapstar posted:

I play a lot of TTRPG's and honestly if I were to put a D&D alignment on Soldier Boy it would be Lawful Neutral.

Okay.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

trapstar posted:

We're talking about the Soldier Boy that was about to murder a child, yeah?

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

christmas boots posted:

We're talking about the Soldier Boy that was about to murder a child, yeah?

Good point :thunk:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Soldier Boy is awful but it's weird how series 3 mostly seems to just forget how much of a threat Homelander is, with his threat against Starlight just kindof vanishing. I think he's definitely more dangerous than Soldier Boy was.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

trapstar posted:

He keeps his word.

trapstar posted:

Are you feeling okay?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Not all facists wield Shields.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I think they're two different but similar Frankenstein monsters.

Say what you want about Homelander, he wouldn't murder his own children because some weirdo with a beard cut a deal with him. Granted, he might have some ego-fueled meltdown that results in the death of his "family", but soldier-boy is a straight up psychopath. He's cold, calculating, and will murder anyone just because you tell him to.

They spend the entire first half of the season referring to Solider boy as a "weapon" and that's exactly what they both are, living weapons born and raised by financial giant Vought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

all capes are bastards