Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

christmas boots posted:

If the MCU is the laziest thing ever written, then what’s Law and Order, smart guy?

A 16 year long tour de force by Sam Waterston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Facebook Aunt posted:

Nope: They made a big show of how dry and dusty everything is. And how rundown the horse ranch is. So you know that house is bone dry with flaking paint ready to soak up moisture. Yet after the monster vomits blood all over the house nobody ever mentions the smell. The next day the sun is out and that house must smell like rotting meat. That's way more objectionable than the scent of horse manure, but is never mentioned.

You're never getting the smell out either, every time it rains from now on the essence of rotting meat vomit is going to come back. You'll never wash it out of every cranny. House is ruined.

More Nope:
Yeah but doesn't the house get destroyed? Doesn't have to stink for very long.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

christmas boots posted:

If the MCU is the laziest thing ever written, then what’s Law and Order, smart guy?

Any episode of Law and Order with Jerry Orbach was written a million times better and is more enjoyable than MCU.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I like MCU films because they're big and flashy with silly jokes and low emotional stakes and sometimes that's exactly what I'm in the mood for, especially lately. Don't care if some jokes don't land because gently caress it, next scene has explosions.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

John Carter was the prototype MCU film, and it's still the best one.

Edit: actually I apparently misremembered and iron Man came out first, but I don't care.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Phanatic posted:

Oof.

They made some changes for the Disney+ release. I don't think this is an improvement.

Uh, what the gently caress is this?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

More Nope:

I think it was, or at least tornado'd through.

I did like all the intro touches with the horse at the commercial. Like, it's been ages since I worked in hoofstock at the zoo, but the best way to get yourself trampled or kicked is to get behind an animal and startle him.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Uh, what the gently caress is this?

It's Heimdall's kid. He's got the same seeing through space or whatever thing. That's how they show him communicating

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Joey Freshwater posted:

It's Heimdall's kid. He's got the same seeing through space or whatever thing. That's how they show him communicating

This response brought me no closer to understanding what the floating disembodied kid's head is about :(

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

This response brought me no closer to understanding what the floating disembodied kid's head is about :(

He has powers that let him see and communicate through space. That's how they show him doing it on the other end to whoever he's talking to. Idk how to make it any more clear than that.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I mean, I don't know what movie it's from. The special effects on the "theatrical release" make me think it's old enough that I'd seen it, but I don't recognize it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

credburn posted:

I mean, I don't know what movie it's from. The special effects on the "theatrical release" make me think it's old enough that I'd seen it, but I don't recognize it.

Its blood and thunder, but I think the "theatrical release" as a cell phone picture of a screen streaming a pirate copy of the theatrical release tbh

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Not an IIMM (unless you're a Chud I guess): Heimdall's son says "I go by Axel now, after a famous musician". First time around I took this as just another reference to classic rock, but my wife made me notice that Astrid is a feminine only name and that he could be a transgender character, which given Disney's track record would be quite the thing. Also it makes Thor's insistence on "your dad gave you a strong Viking name and I'm not going to call you Axel" schtick really problematic :v:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Oh, Thor.

Fun anecdote: I was in jail the week Thor became available to rent and it was (((movie nite))). All the Nazis in the cell block were loving livid that there was a "black viking." But when we all gathered in the tiny cafeteria/dayroom to watch the movie on a tiny CRT locked behind foggy bullet-proof glass, everyone calmed the gently caress down when someone pointed out the black viking is pretty much just a doorman who lets the white vikings in and out of Asgard.

It was racist as hell comment but it did seem kind of true.

These guys were Asatru and would chant "Hail Odin! Hail Thor!" in the rec yard, giving Nazi salutes to the sun.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's a special kind of pathetic to whine that hard about a movie night. You're not in some kind of culture war like you think you are, and even if you were guess what? You're in jail. You're LOSING.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
My IIMM with Love and Thunder is that I just started watching it, am literally two minutes in and what the hell, I'm teary-eyed and hope Gorr kills his god, any god he thinks is responsible. There have been revenge movies with guys like him as the hero with a motivation like that, I am really curious to find out how they are going to "My child died in my arms as I cried for mercy" into a bad guy thing.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Grendels Dad posted:

My IIMM with Love and Thunder is that I just started watching it, am literally two minutes in and what the hell, I'm teary-eyed and hope Gorr kills his god, any god he thinks is responsible. There have been revenge movies with guys like him as the hero with a motivation like that, I am really curious to find out how they are going to "My child died in my arms as I cried for mercy" into a bad guy thing.

They really have to work hard for that. I think Gorr is easily the best Marvel villain together with Zemo.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

That Italian Guy posted:

Not an IIMM (unless you're a Chud I guess): Heimdall's son says "I go by Axel now, after a famous musician". First time around I took this as just another reference to classic rock, but my wife made me notice that Astrid is a feminine only name and that he could be a transgender character, which given Disney's track record would be quite the thing. Also it makes Thor's insistence on "your dad gave you a strong Viking name and I'm not going to call you Axel" schtick really problematic :v:

Not so much problematic as a development moment for Thor. He initially insists because he's a big dummy, even as Korg is correcting him from the background, but he gets it and starts enthusiastically calling Axl by his real name before the end

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto episode 94: Tonton shouldn't be here, they're just a regular pig; they could be crushed or eaten by one of the giant snakes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mamkute posted:

Naruto episode 94: Tonton shouldn't be here, they're just a regular pig; they could be crushed or eaten by one of the giant snakes.

tonton is emergency rations

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

What ever happened to sound levelling? Everything new seems to have the problem of low dialog and way too loud music and effects. It's really annoying to shift volume everytime a song happens. But I only see it in newer movies and shows, not older stuff or youtube.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

nesamdoom posted:

What ever happened to sound levelling? Everything new seems to have the problem of low dialog and way too loud music and effects. It's really annoying to shift volume everytime a song happens. But I only see it in newer movies and shows, not older stuff or youtube.

Maybe most old stuff doesn't have it, but the wife and I tried to watch Halloween (the original) on like four different streaming services, and on each of them the sound was abysmally quiet.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i do post sound for film/video and used to do location sound for tv. i don't think i've ever heard one definitive answer, but i've heard a two explanations pop up a lot:

1) uncalibrated theaters. every theater is different, and unless the owners pay big money to have things set up properly and even more money periodically checking it, then there's a good chance their speakers are going to reproduce sound a lot differently than whatever system it was mixed on. it's going to mess with things if you're pushing a 7.2 mix through a 5.1 setup, for example, and even beyond that every speaker has a different frequency response that may emphasize different parts of the spectrum. dolby's doing a lot of work on this in the form of atmos, where you mix for a sound field and software automatically splits that out into whatever speaker setup a mixer or theater has, and the biggest part of that is that they won't even license atmos sofrware to a theater unless they pay to have a dolby tech come in and calibrate their speakers to a specific spl.

2) remixing for home release is expensive. you generally get a 5.1 and stereo mix for those, and each of those requires fully remixing basically from scratch as compared to theatrical release depending on how that was mixed. it takes hours of expensive work, and even then you don't really have any control over whether the consumer is using lovely built in tv speakers or a killer home theater surround system, so what usually happens is a quick-and-dirty fold down of whatever the theatrical release had because the more time spent on it the less money the publishers make.

in both cases, sound design is a lot more complex than it used to be, so those big dynamic and frequency ranges were not as much as issue as they are now. it also tends to be less of a problem on tv because networks have so many technical restrictions in place to keep things consistent on a whole channel, but theaters don't have those as often (or if they do then they are poo poo at communicating them, because tv networks have entire pamphlets dedicated to audio specs for loudness and dynamic range, whereas i've found it's like pulling teeth to get more than a half page of vague direction from theaters for festival runs)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Nope: They made a big show of how dry and dusty everything is. And how rundown the horse ranch is. So you know that house is bone dry with flaking paint ready to soak up moisture. Yet after the monster vomits blood all over the house nobody ever mentions the smell. The next day the sun is out and that house must smell like rotting meat. That's way more objectionable than the scent of horse manure, but is never mentioned.

You're never getting the smell out either, every time it rains from now on the essence of rotting meat vomit is going to come back. You'll never wash it out of every cranny. House is ruined.

I mean, you're not wrong, but I imagine the emphasis is that they have bigger problems at that point. And the aftermath of getting evidence of a real life alien creature that has killed at least 50 people in horrible ways is probably going to change things a lot!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Sci-fi shows/fantasy shows that have babies in them. Every time there is a baby, that baby ends up suddenly aging rapidly, and joining the antagonist's side, and they usually end up dying by sacrificing themselves in an act of redemption. They also usually have extra special superpowers. Every goddamn time this happens.

I know its hard to write around the character having to take care of a baby, but if that is the case, just don't have the characters have a baby.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Games too, I’m looking at you, Fallout 4.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

It's a special kind of pathetic to whine that hard about a movie night. You're not in some kind of culture war like you think you are, and even if you were guess what? You're in jail. You're LOSING.

imo it's more likely they were in jail for theft or assault than for their movie opinions

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Sci-fi shows/fantasy shows that have babies in them. Every time there is a baby, that baby ends up suddenly aging rapidly, and joining the antagonist's side, and they usually end up dying by sacrificing themselves in an act of redemption. They also usually have extra special superpowers. Every goddamn time this happens.

I know its hard to write around the character having to take care of a baby, but if that is the case, just don't have the characters have a baby.

How about farscape?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Crespolini posted:

imo it's more likely they were in jail for theft or assault than for their movie opinions

I was more getting at that they had bigger problems to concern themselves with. Like their own lives going down the toilet. I'm assuming raging at a movie is just a distraction so that they don't have to think about it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Baron von Eevl posted:

More Nope:

That's a lucky break. Insurance is more likely to pay out for a destroyed house than a stinky one.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Star trek does this about 40 times

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, you're not wrong, but I imagine the emphasis is that they have bigger problems at that point. And the aftermath of getting evidence of a real life alien creature that has killed at least 50 people in horrible ways is probably going to change things a lot!

Is there ever any evidence that it is alien? A creature that can disguise itself as clouds is weird as hell but there wasn't really a space ship or anything, it is biological.

If there was a terrible sequel we'd probably find out it was a deep sea creature driven out of the ocean by microplastic pollution. It can fly now because swimming in incredibly high density made it super strong so once it was out of the pressure it's flow hole was super powerful and able to fly by farting really hard.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Is there ever any evidence that it is alien? A creature that can disguise itself as clouds is weird as hell but there wasn't really a space ship or anything, it is biological.

If there was a terrible sequel we'd probably find out it was a deep sea creature driven out of the ocean by microplastic pollution. It can fly now because swimming in incredibly high density made it super strong so once it was out of the pressure it's flow hole was super powerful and able to fly by farting really hard.

I mean, even if Otis doesn't notice at first, almost everyone is quick to pick up the fact that the specific cloud is not moving at all with the wind, which is a big blind spot for a stalking animal, considering how earth animals behave with their camouflage. Jupe has only been doing his show for...6 weeks?

Also it's not exaclty stealthy when it feeds so it's probably not being around for very long :v:

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think it's just a coincidence and honestly just because Peele was probably looking at a mantis going "this thing looks like a fuckin alien"
I really liked Nope even if it's not as dense with subtext as his previous movies, but I especially enjoyed the fact that the whole movie is 100% a "what if flying saucers beaming people up were actually animals eating them" written on a napkin made into film.

E: Aside from that, I liked that the main stakes in the movie were not "we have to kill it" or "we need to survive" but "we need to film this before other people inevitably show up and do that".

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 10:49 on Sep 11, 2022

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Armacham posted:

Star trek does this about 40 times

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I've probably posted this before but is it Movie Law that every single horror film is required to have an overhead drone shot of a car driving on a forest road? I know you think its super cool your cousin got a DJI Phantom or whatever but please discover new ways of doing establishing shots you loving hacks

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I've probably posted this before but is it Movie Law that every single horror film is required to have an overhead drone shot of a car driving on a forest road? I know you think its super cool your cousin got a DJI Phantom or whatever but please discover new ways of doing establishing shots you loving hacks

If it was good enough for Shining it's good enough for any horror movie. (Yeah it was an helicopter and a cliffside, but close enough).

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

That Italian Guy posted:

If it was good enough for Shining it's good enough for any horror movie. (Yeah it was an helicopter and a cliffside, but close enough).

You know I was trying to think of who did it first and of course it was Kubrick and of course every two bit hack thinks they're making The Shining (except its about a scary AirBnB and the slasher is a homicidal Amazon delivery driver or some poo poo)

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Now I want to see what Kubrick would do with drones at his disposal

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Sometimes the overhead shot will be upside down to signify that things are wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

That Italian Guy posted:

So good that Ridley Scott used the off cuts!