Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I figured tom cruise tried to fly it but the oxygen system gave him the black lung so they made a story about vintage planes instead.

Also I learned that Capt Mitchell has a fully operational p51 ww2 fighter that he can afford on his salary. He flies it for fun, for energy, and sometimes to impress ladies/geese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

In other words, the us will lose WW3 in the top gun universe because the enemy now has 5th Gen fighters (!) so we no longer have a tech advantage. Fortunately we have Luke skywalkers and mavericks to make the one or two in a million impossible shot.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's Umberto Eco poo poo where they can't have it both ways:

the US is going to win even against high-technology opponents because the pilots are just too drat good, but don't forget the US also has high-technology fighters of their own, they just don't want to use them
the pilot is always going to be superior to drones, even though the US relies heavily on drones itself
the enemy does have next-generation fighters, but for one reason or another they're either too incompetent to fly them right, or the fighters are still technologically flawed in some way

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Foo Diddley posted:

aren't basically all rare earth elements mined in china?

refined, not mined. they ship in ore, ship out refined metal

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

shrike82 posted:

the us getting to kill a bunch of young russian males with no blowback given that russia is in a demographic crisis is pretty neat

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

just perma this psychopath what the fuckj

he's always been like this

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

palindrome posted:

I watched the movie "top gun Maverick" and curiously they made a point of flying old generation FA18/e (single seat) and FA18/f (dual seat) fighter bombers.

They were like, "woof this mission would obviously be perfect for the f35-rear end" but for plot reasons we will have to use previous gen planes. Thinking critically, it must be because they didn't want to disclose the secret f35 tactics that cannot be disclosed to the movie viewing public. Yet. Those places got that dawg in 'em for sure.

The plot reason was that the Iranians jammed GPS which is both funny and a capability Russia, China and Iran all have irl.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Foo Diddley posted:

Not really. Cobalt specifically is mainly mined in Democratic Republic of Congo, but to be useful as an industrial input those materials need to be refined, and that's where places like the US & China comes in. 80% of the world's cobalt is processed through Chinese refineries. It's confusing to keep this distinction straight, because if you're trying to casually look up the figures some websites will present rare earth metal production AS IF they're being mined in the country they're "produced" in.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ChinaDaily/status/1568230241906089984

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's Umberto Eco poo poo where they can't have it both ways:

the US is going to win even against high-technology opponents because the pilots are just too drat good, but don't forget the US also has high-technology fighters of their own, they just don't want to use them
the pilot is always going to be superior to drones, even though the US relies heavily on drones itself
the enemy does have next-generation fighters, but for one reason or another they're either too incompetent to fly them right, or the fighters are still technologically flawed in some way

This is the frictionless excuse machine. Able to effortlessly reconfigure itself based on which excuse is more convenient at the moment. You build such a machine by taking the gears and stripping all the teeth. Just unconnected parts endlessly spinning.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The reality is that it's just impractical to film a bunch of F35s flying around for a few weeks. That would cost the Navy or Air Force years of maintenance time and hundreds of millions in costs to fix everything that breaks off to film the Top Gun movie. The F/A 18 doesn't have to sit in the hangar for a month after every landing so it's just simpler to use that.

The story doesn't matter at all, they have the F14 shooting down two SU57s which is already Wile Coyote vs Roadrunner levels of magical bullshit. They might as well throw in a Game of Thrones dragon and some X Wings getting shot down, same thing.

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 21:31 on Sep 9, 2022

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Pryor on Fire posted:

The reality is that it's just impractical to film a bunch of F35s flying around for a few weeks. That would cost the Navy or Air Force years of maintenance time and hundreds of millions in costs to fix everything that breaks off to film the Top Gun movie. The F/A 18 doesn't have to sit in the hangar for a month after every landing so it's just simpler to use that.

The story doesn't matter at all, they have the F14 shooting down two SU57s which is already Wile Coyote vs Roadrunner levels of magical bullshit. They might as well throw in a Game of Thrones dragon and some X Wings getting shot down, same thing.

The first SU57 to die was the most realistic thing in the movie, they died from a sneak attack they let happen through hubris.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Foo Diddley posted:

and im sure the grifters only care now because they smell a new gravy train

Palladium has issued a correction as of 21:43 on Sep 9, 2022

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

The first SU57 to die was the most realistic thing in the movie, they died from a sneak attack they let happen through hubris.

No even if you just park the SU57 directly in front of the F14 and start in the worst possible situation for the SU57 it is completely impossible for the F14 to win that fight.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Pryor on Fire posted:

No even if you just park the SU57 directly in front of the F14 and start in the worst possible situation for the SU57 it is completely impossible for the F14 to win that fight.

please elaborate

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Pryor on Fire posted:

Why not? If they are parked right by an F-14 giving them hand signals and they get blasted with its cannon are they just going to tank it?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
I think the F14 would win.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
drat it now I have to simulate this in Command Modern Ops to be sure

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Why not? If they are parked right by an F-14 giving them hand signals and they get blasted with its cannon are they just going to tank it?

the SU57 simply has too high power level to be harmed by such minor attacks

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The SUcc 57

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/AZmilitary1/sta...ingawful.com%2F

The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting. -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

I look at this poo poo and I have the chilling realization that, while most neocons are probably still theory-galaxybrain ex-Trots who decided they'd rather have no revolution than a revolution that is not perfect in every single way, there are probably some number of them who simply looked at American 'leadership' and couldn't pass up on the eternal nerd impulse to go "Ugh you C-SPAM-modded motherfuckers, you're doing this all wrong! See, you have to ... and ..., -- Jesus Christ are you not even listening? Whatever, go dick preteens on a private island or something and leave it to me, I don't even want this to happen but I'll do it myself just so you stop making GBS threads it up."

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Only True Patriots only use 100% Made-in-America accounting tricks to cover up their Chinese-sourced materials

And lol if the 'leadership' thinks this only happen with magnets

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mandoric posted:

I look at this poo poo and I have the chilling realization that, while most neocons are probably still theory-galaxybrain ex-Trots who decided they'd rather have no revolution than a revolution that is not perfect in every single way, there are probably some number of them who simply looked at American 'leadership' and couldn't pass up on the eternal nerd impulse to go "Ugh you C-SPAM-modded motherfuckers, you're doing this all wrong! See, you have to ... and ..., -- Jesus Christ are you not even listening? Whatever, go dick preteens on a private island or something and leave it to me, I don't even want this to happen but I'll do it myself just so you stop making GBS threads it up."

what the hell are you on about?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Wuhhhh??

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

They can't use chinese sourced magnets because the polarity is reversed compared to the western hemisphere. it fucks up the planes' navigation

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

palindrome posted:

They can't use chinese sourced magnets because the polarity is reversed compared to the western hemisphere. it fucks up the planes' navigation

Just label the compass the other way around

DUH

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

wow, someone get this person a think tank job. the US might just pull this off yet!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's confusing to keep this distinction straight, because if you're trying to casually look up the figures some websites will present rare earth metal production AS IF they're being mined in the country they're "produced" in.

The Canadians also ship them to China through US ports for refining. They’re a pain in the rear end being a placarded CL 7 cargo with the attention that attracts.

Bar Ran Dun has issued a correction as of 07:03 on Sep 10, 2022

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.

Pryor on Fire posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dcum_ZLQehA

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

That might be good enough for the think tank circuit, but not for the MIC grift leagues.

The compass needs a $3 million computer system which automatically flips the labels round (and which doesn't work half the time, requiring regular servicing from a Lockheed-certified contractor).

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/louischeung_hk/status/1566243576400318464

the stuff looks cool ngl

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

yeah the navy did simulations and a single f-22 pilot took on 8 F-14s at the same time and greased them all with ease. an su-57 is another step above that

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

yeah the navy did simulations and a single f-22 pilot took on 8 F-14s at the same time and greased them all with ease. an su-57 is another step above that
planes work on rock paper scissors rules

e: very dishonest video. the entire premise of the movie is that what really counts is the pilot, clearly the guy in this video is a rusiranian pilot while the guy in the Su-57 is american

A Buttery Pastry has issued a correction as of 09:11 on Sep 11, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

wtf the PLA is using Star Wars droids and power armor and Farslight XR-20

America is hosed

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not sure what the point is for an upper body only exoskeleton. what would that let someone do that they otherwise could not?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm not sure what the point is for an upper body only exoskeleton. what would that let someone do that they otherwise could not?

open the gently caress out of the pickle jar

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

You can handle incredible heavy poo poo more easily even with just upper body exoskeleton

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

It's so your arms don't get tired from pointing the rifles at all times.

And don't come at me saying "hurr just lift some weight" even if you're super buff, your arms still will get tired over time, leading to worse accuracy

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I was part of a detail testing sense through the wall technology ten years ago, its a gimmick. It uses doppler pulses to find moving objects and is defeated by metal, so like a big appliance or ducting will make it not work. Even then, the only info you get is "there is something moving beyond this wall", which could be a curtain blowing in the wind, a dog, or a toddler rolling around on the floor with the mom laying on the couch. Afaik the project never went anywhere since, if anything, it was actually detrimental due to such high false positives. Imagine telling an 18 year old private "yo dude there is something in this room!!!!!" and have him kick the door in immediately doming an old lady because the dang radar said there were dudes definitely moving around in there

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 16:14 on Sep 11, 2022

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
It's only 5% army damage and 5% mineral production but it does imply they're rushing synthetics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Justin Tyme posted:

I was part of a detail testing sense through the wall technology ten years ago, its a gimmick. It uses doppler pulses to find moving objects and is defeated by metal, so like a big appliance or ducting will make it not work. Even then, the only info you get is "there is something moving beyond this wall", which could be a curtain blowing in the wind, a dog, or a toddler rolling around on the floor with the mom laying on the couch. Afaik the project never went anywhere since, if anything, it was actually detrimental due to such high false positives. Imagine telling an 18 year old private "yo dude there is something in this room!!!!!" and have him kick the door in immediately doming an old lady because the dang radar said there were dudes definitely moving around in there

otoh that sounds exactly like something the us army would use