Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)
I am so amused that Nebraska pulled the trigger instead of waiting 3 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Can't believe Nebraska didn't wait 3 weeks

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Before I forget the guy, what was the original joke of "Scott Frost Day"? Something like the governor or whoever proclaimed a day to honor him in his first season as coach and then they had an embarrassing loss on that day... or was it cancelled or something?

The opening-season game that day was cancelled due to weather, and they started the year 0-6 after that

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Seaniqua posted:

I seriously can’t believe they didn’t wait. I wonder if this means they already have their next guy. gently caress I hope so.

Some oil man said no more.

Or corn man.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

It’s so funny that he was fired on 9/11.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Regnevelc posted:

Some oil man said no more.

Or corn man.

They use some of the corn to make oil

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

LeeMajors posted:

A second head coach has hit Nebraska this season

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

LeeMajors posted:

I can’t put my finger on what exactly makes it so fitting but it’s perfect

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Seaniqua posted:

They use some of the corn to make oil

Some high fructose corn syrup man.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Seaniqua posted:

I seriously can’t believe they didn’t wait. I wonder if this means they already have their next guy. gently caress I hope so.

It's actually even more amazing

THEY HAVE A BYE COMING UP

https://twitter.com/RJ_Writes/status/1569015856658616321

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
They didn’t want to risk an upset vs Oklahoma?

It’s not like Oklahoma has looked great this year.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Nebraska paid Georgia southern to beat them

And Scott Frost the next day to gently caress off

A great week of college football

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Regnevelc posted:

They didn’t want to risk an upset vs Oklahoma?

It’s not like Oklahoma has looked great this year.

If Nebraska beat us (definitely in the realm of possibility, as you say!) then they'd be more hard-pressed to fire him. He ain't takin' Nebraska back to the Promised Land

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

From page 1: rush all the fields

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

The opening-season game that day was cancelled due to weather, and they started the year 0-6 after that
Lmao

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

wtf is A&M doing on there

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

So really it cost $16.4 million to fire Frost, adding in the amount they paid Georgia Southern to make that decision.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

wtf is A&M doing on there

This dude Fox Sports version of a troll.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

RC and Moon Pie posted:

So really it cost $16.4 million to fire Frost, adding in the amount they paid Georgia Southern to make that decision.

Happy Georgia Southern Day!

Frost will now forever question whether he made his team puke too much or too little.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
My conspiracy theory is that Frost wanted the full buy out and didn’t prepare his team appropriately for Georgia Southern knowing he was canned if they lost.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
Gotta respect Scott Frost deliberately tanking the start of the season badly enough to get that extra $7.5 million in bailout money. Secure that bag, son.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Someone start the coaching carousel thread I guess.

Also Purdue is now the team to beat in the Big Ten West.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Wow, I didn't think they would do it. Some donor coughed up $7.5 million to get a 3 week head start on coaching search season.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Seaniqua posted:

Lol i doubt it, this could be a shitshow. Or maybe they got urban lined up. Which might be even better.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

kayakyakr posted:

Wow, I didn't think they would do it. Some donor coughed up $7.5 million to get a 3 week head start on coaching search season.

Literal "gently caress you" money :stare:

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Can't believe Nebraska didn't wait 3 weeks

Fans are chanting fire Scott Frost. Can't risk that home sellout streak. Only thing that program has anymore.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Komet posted:

Someone start the coaching carousel thread I guess.

Also Purdue is now the team to beat in the Big Ten West.

I like Minnesota in the west.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

downout posted:

Lol i doubt it, this could be a shitshow. Or maybe they got urban lined up. Which might be even better.

oh man

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don’t understand why teams would ever fire a coach before November; it doesn’t seem to serve any function beyond being a salve for the fans and alumni, who as far as I’m concerned are all a bunch of hooting apes who deserve nothing.

The “getting ahead of the market” line always gets trotted out, but that basically never ends up beating out.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

General Dog posted:

I don’t understand why teams would ever fire a coach before November; it doesn’t seem to serve any function beyond being a salve for the fans and alumni, who as far as I’m concerned are all a bunch of hooting apes who deserve nothing.

The “getting ahead of the market” line always gets trotted out, but that basically never ends up beating out.

Coach might start making decisions that don’t benefit the team long term if he sticks around, coach might lose the locker room entirely if he sticks around, recruits meeting a dead man walking might give them a bad impression…

I know the actual reason (booster pressure) but there are reasons you might want to axe a guy who isn’t gonna get better but could still do some damage and make things worse

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

General Dog posted:

Some of the hooting apes donate bug bux to the program

You're not wrong, it is dumb as poo poo. But when the septua- and octogenarians who make 6- and 7-figure donations start getting angry, ADs and Presidents listen.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

General Dog posted:

Counterpoint: Phillies firing Joe Girardi turned around their season

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Nebraska paid Georgia southern to beat them

And Scott Frost the next day to gently caress off

A great week of college football

Now that’s paper

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Scott Frost can continue his career elsewhere while Nebraska begins searching anew for someone who can build a time machine and take them back to 1995

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

facialimpediment posted:

Buyout would've dropped from $15M to $7.5M on October 1st and they wanted him gone that bad

I love college football so loving much lmao

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Lol Nebraska. Another decade of mediocrity to come.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Iowa opens as 20 point favorites against Nevada, in case you’d like some free money because Iowa isn’t scoring 20 points in one game

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Lol Nebraska. Another decade of mediocrity to come.

Mediocrity would be a step in the right direction.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

Iowa opens as 20 point favorites against Nevada, in case you’d like some free money because Iowa isn’t scoring 20 points in one game

idk, they might be able to kick 7 field goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

https://twitter.com/amie_just/status/1569018292836208646?s=46&t=V5Ypy78h9Chp7oedyaTqhQ

Wish it hadn’t happened like this but still neat and embarrassing