Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They are in the business of tying people up and pulling their mask off, which is assault if you aren’t yourself a cop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

yeah but it never arrests anyone, the gang are in the business of investigating not taking prisoners
the super move ingame isn't just hitting you with a car, you get locked inside the car and then it drives off

it drives off the edge of the stage and it is very funny. and it is way funnier and better for it to be the van instead of a cop car. it was a good decision.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

haveblue posted:

They are in the business of tying people up and pulling their mask off, which is assault if you aren’t yourself a cop

Nonviolently restraining an assailant in self defense is

Goddamit I'm not gonna litigate Scooby Doo

rox
Sep 7, 2016

scooby-doo owns

as a kid i watched a lot of whats new scooby doo and the movies like the one where stephen king was a warlock or w/e

i also liked that mystery inc. show from like a decade ago

rox
Sep 7, 2016

*pulls mask labeled 'praxis' off a guy named 'cartoons ftw'

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

CubeTheory posted:

Nonviolently restraining an assailant in self defense is

Goddamit I'm not gonna litigate Scooby Doo

the kids were always trespassing to begin with

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ve only liked the Scooby Doo movies where the monsters are real like Zombie Island and Boo Brothers. The TV series never interested me as a kid because it looked old and janky compared to modern cartoons and somehow looked older than looney tunes which confounded me at the time

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

SeXReX posted:

the kids were always trespassing to begin with

Well now I don't even think you've seen Scooby Doo because the vast majority of the time they're invited on property by the current land owner that is being

wait I've been tricked into the scooby doo conversation again

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

I don’t agree with this decision. This is whitewashing history.

The views expressed in this video game were wrong then and they're wrong now

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

It never made sense because Velma is hella antifa.

the beginning of Scoob! takes place on halloween with the gang as children and velma is dressed as ruth bader ginsburg

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
suddenly a lot of Scooby Don't in this thread

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Looper posted:

the beginning of Scoob! takes place on halloween with the gang as children and velma is dressed as ruth bader ginsburg

Velma sucks

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Velma is a lib. Daphne is MAGA

Shaggy comes from wealth but is a class traitor

Scooby is a Maoist

Freddy is a libertarian

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Scrappy Doo is an anarchist

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Are there any good Scooby-Doo games though? What would a good Scooby-Doo game look like?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Velmkanda Forever

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Are there any good Scooby-Doo games though? What would a good Scooby-Doo game look like?

There was one on the GCN that I thought was good when I was a kid, not to be confused with the other one which was merely ok

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Fear and Loathing in Khorinis

The Preamble

So I finished playing Gothic 1 a while back and am now in the process of playing through Gothic 2, also known as "Gothic 2 Gold", also known as "Jesus Christ Why Does Everything Hurt So Much". As of this evening I've just finished chapter 2 and am getting started on chapter 3, but I've been thinking for a while now that it might be fun to write down some of my thoughts on what's happening so far because this game has a lot of weird, cool or just kind of odd stuff in it that you folks might find interesting. This isn't an LP or anything, more like a few sentences summary of some of the stuff that happened to me over the course of my adventures through Bizarro Fantasy Germany. I think someone here is/was doing something similar for Wizard 101 which is why I'm posting this here. Gothic 1 seems to be a bit of a cult classic stateside but I don't see people talk about Gothic 2 very much - maybe this will help change that a bit.

Depending on my schedule and my lovely work ethic this may become a regular thing or I might make like 2 posts before burning out and trying to drown the memory with a potent combination of swampweed and grog. I guess we'll see how this goes!

Anyways, onto the main event...

Episode 1: The Recap
* First off I downloaded Gothic 2 Gold off of GoG; then I went and immediately downloaded 2 mods, the player kit and system pack for Gothic 2, from a site called World of Gothic. From what I can tell its a German site that's been maintaining the poo poo out of these 20 year old games for something like 20 years now. Did I mention this was a German game? Germans loving love this game. And the Poles. And apparently Russians too for some reason? This game was a big deal in Europe is what I'm trying to say. Not so much the US because it didn't release there until 2002 and Morrowind was a thing by then.
* Anyways I downloaded both of these under the recommendation of just about everyone who has ever actually played this game before. 20 year old game means 20 year old quirks like no widescreen support or the game crashing to desktop every 20 minutes. gently caress that. I downloaded these for Gothic 1 as well and had a great time, game ran buttery smooth in 2560 x 1440. It really cannot be overstated how dedicated this fanbase is, I don't think I've seen this level of unofficial support for an old video game in a long time.
* I load the game and am treated to thumping tribal drums and chanting over a still image of an elderly wizard and his buddies staring at me with his best :smug: face.
* Start new game - the intro cutscene plays in a roughly 480 x 480 box in the top left of my screen. The rest of the game looks fine and none of the other cutscenes have this issue so I just look it up on youtube afterward.

* To give a quick recap of Gothic 1's plot for those not aware - Orcs are invading Fantasy Germany and the Fantasy Kaiser needs ore to forge weapons to fight them. Magical glowing ore that makes magic swords and poo poo. Not, like, an atom bomb or a super powerful spell or anything, just +2 swords of stabbing that stab slightly better than a +1 sword of shanking. Shockingly this isn't doing much to stop the invading horde of Orcs so the Fantasy Kaiser logically deduces that the solution to this problem is "We need to mine more ore!" Said ore can only be found in a single valley on an island well off the coast and is an absolute bitch to produce economically, so they establish a penal colony full of unpaid slaves convicts to handle all the backbreaking labor and turn the local justice system into a kangaroo court to produce a steady supply of fresh meat for the grinder.
* In order to make sure the convicts don't stage an uprising and take over the mines, the king sends a group of wizards to create a magic barrier over the castle where the convicts are held so they can control their movements. Except somebody forgot to carry a one and they end up creating a supercharged impenetrable barrier that covers the whole valley instead.
* This leads to the convicts staging an uprising and taking over the mines.
* The way this bullshit magic barrier works is that anyONE trying to leave gets fried by the loving Wrath of God but anyTHING trying to leave can pass through both ways. People can also enter the barrier just fine, they can just never leave afterwards. With this in mind, the king strikes up a deal with the convicts - hookers and blow in exchange for a steady stream of ore. The ones that agree to this deal become the Old Camp - they're based out of the central castle in the valley and basically run the show for the most part, they have the most people and the most influence. Their leader was a guy called Gomez, a certified nutjob who killed me because I said I was a cool dude and he thought I was lying (I'm not joking, he'll straight-up shank you if you choose the wrong dialog options).
* One group decides being stuck inside a magic barrier forever is bullshit and break off to form the Mercenaries - they're based out of the New Camp, which has neither blackjack nor hookers, but does have a shitload of ore. Their brilliant plan is to literally dump it into a big pile and then blow it all up like a fantasy atom bomb to blast a hole in the barrier because that's something this ore can do apparently. Why didn't Fantasy Germany try using that against the orcs instead? Anyways their leader is a guy called Lee; he's a former military leader who pissed off the nobles so much that they pulled a reverse-Griffith maneuver and blamed him for the death of the queen. He's a little bitter about that.
* The last group got so high on marijuana that they found God and decided to form a cult called the Brotherhood of the Sleeper. They're based out of the Swamp Camp, which is a camp that is located in the swamp. They're led by the guru's, who preach the good word of The Sleeper and are totally legit and not just getting everyone hooked on mind-altering drugs to make a quick buck.
* This is basically the status-quo until our hero shows up. He's called the Nameless Hero (his name is Not Important) who gets tossed into the valley for reasons that are never explained. From there you're free to do basically whatever you want. Get beaten to within an inch of your life for not paying protection money? You can do that. Spend your days literally slaving away in a mine while you fantasize about how much better your life could be right now? This too is possible.
* I just spent like a loving hour thinking about how to set up a plot I can sum up in 2 sentences. You help the Swamp Camp get high enough to talk to God but it turns out God is actually the Devil. Then an evil(?) wizard called Xardas sends you into a sprawling D&D-esque endgame dungeon to stab a giant bug monster in the face, The End.

* This is right around where Gothic 2 picks up. Somehow killing the giant bug monster causes the barrier to collapse and sets everyone free. Yay! This also causes the D&D dungeon to collapse while we're still standing inside of it. Boo!
* Cut to 3 weeks later (the intro says 13 days later but whatever). Our old pal Xardas has finally locked in on our location and teleports us to safety. Since we were wearing a literal suit of plot armor at the time we managed to survive for 3 weeks under a pile of rubble with no food and water but this also sapped us of most of our strength. In layman's terms this means "we start at level 1 again".
* We've barely started and Xardas is already going off about some giant threat to all that we hold dear. Apparently the death of The Sleeper has set the forces of darkness into motion. Oh no! His exact wording was, and I quote: "It was an order to all evil creatures. A word of power that they were all bound to obey. His last order was: COME! And they came. All of them. Even the dragons." There's a lot of ways you could interpret that proclamation, none of which I want to look up online. Apparently they rolled into the valley shortly after everyone else took off and have been squatting there ever since.
* Before we have a chance to mull over this grim news Xardas follows up with "but enough of that bollocks, lets talk about Night of the Raven!"
* We're then treated to a very sudden and incongruous CGI cutscene of a mustachioed man punching an alter and wizards fighting golems in aztec ruins interspersed with thumping tribal drum music. Xardas tries to explain what's going on via a semi-nonsensical speech that sounds like it was both AI-generated and hastily translated from German to English. This is basically all setup you get for the expansion and Xardas will never mention or acknowledge any of this poo poo again from now on.
* Xardas tells us to go find a magical artifact called The Eye of Innos, which is held by a group of paladins conveniently stationed in the next town over. If we talk to him about it later he says that it should help us regain our lost strength and implies it might be able to do other stuff as well but that's all we need to know for now. He also reveals that this is not his original tower but an exact duplicate he built several miles away in a few weeks using demonic slave labor. I don't know man, I can think of better ways to abuse my godlike magical power but you do you I guess.
* My guy asks why the paladins would just give me the eye and Xardas says it should all be fine because killing a giant bug monster means I'm destined to wear it. Sure, whatever. Then he says I'm welcome to whatever crap he has sitting around in his closet and sends me on my way.
* I proceed to run around the tower looting everything that isn't nailed down. I find a couple of HP and mana potions, a belt of strength, some gold pieces and a big stick. I also find an "old stone tablet" sitting on his desk. I ask him about it and he says its just some useless crap he found and I'm welcome to it if I want. I try reading it and this loads a .png of a stone tablet covered in norse-looking runes that my guy says he can't read.
* I also find a "lab water bottle" and some instructions for how to do alchemy. You can use it to make all kinds of stuff in this game, everything from potions to booze and even drugs!
* Heading upstairs I find a scenic overview of the surrounding countryside and a statue dedicated to the god of darkness and evil. I interact with it and this triggers a throbbing red overlay to appear around the edges of the screen and gives me an option to pray to Fantasy Satan. I decide against it and walk away.
* In the next room over I find a library with a bunch of books I can interact with that basically exist to bring the player up to speed on this game's setting. We're on an island called Khorinis and the regional capitol is a port town also called Khorinis. That's not confusing at all! Besides fishing, trading and mining magic ore, most of the economy relies on a bunch of small farms scattered around the countryside, most of which are leased out from a wealthy landowner. Even in Fantasy Germany, capitalism still reigns supreme.
* I case the place one last time for anything I missed. I notice there's a lot of metal cages full of skeletons hanging around everywhere. Since this place is less than 3 weeks old and I think it takes much longer than that for a body to fully decompose (I think, I'm not a certified doctor or anything) I just assume all the random human remains are like this settings equivalent of dollar-store Halloween decorations and Xardas is a weird nerd who really like playing up the "evil necromancer" schtick.
* With that I head out the front door and take my first steps into the wide open world...

To Be Continued

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 11, 2022

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

the best scooby doo show was mystery incorporated and the best velma was lesbian icon hayley kiyoko

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

the best scooby doo show was mystery incorporated and the best velma was lesbian icon hayley kiyoko

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
SvR09:

MVP, Umaga and William Regal have formed their own country called Better-Than-U-topia. I think they need work on their branding

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
drat, that's a heck of a lineup for the Blackpool Combat Club.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
"Who am I, King Kong Bundy?" :xd:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
That was a funny dog. Scooby-Doo. He drove around in a van and uhhh solved mysteries.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I liked a pup named Scooby Doo I thought it was very funny when red herring showed up every episode

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Always surprised when he wasn't the villain

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Feldegast42 posted:

Always surprised when he wasn't the villain

What about the 1 time he was

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wasn't he planning a birthday for his mom or something

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Yeah. Everyone else got sick of Fred's poo poo and made him vow to go a whole episode without blaming Red and then it turns out it was Red.

I remember another when Fred accused Red and it cut to Red all like "the hell you talking about, I wasn't even in this episode"

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
As a kid I never realized how goofy the gag of the character Fred falsely accused every episode being named freaking Red Herring was, lol.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpA8uQNbJhU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

be gay, do crimes (boat crimes)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Sodakick/status/1569127623204212736?s=20&t=jp8SUGny8kLOLN2iAw8Ijw

Lol is the ESRB actually gonna start listing lootbox poo poo as Real Gambling?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Maybe but unless something changes it's just gonna be a label and suddenly AO games are gonna be okay to sell on console if it's AAA and "just" for gambling lmao

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I think it has NFT bullshit where you aren't guaranteed to get the NFT, which is why it's getting the AO tag, whereas lootbox stuff still gives you ~something~ even if its dogshit so it's enough of a distance from actual gambling to not qualify for AO

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
the zero series ends on such a pitch perfect note lol

zeros so cool...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZNhzeZD_do

Sonic Frontiers is officially a JRPG

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

my boyfriend is gonna lose his loving mind literally all it takes for him to play a video game is if it has a fishing game/system in it

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
that post next to your avatar is cracking me up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i'm not very complicated