Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

not sure where to post this, so here goes:

i have a lot of audio, computer, and musical equipment. specifically, i've got a mix of tube amps, solid state amps, computers, nas, guitar pedals, rack equipment, stereo receivers, gaming systems, etc. and now i'm in tucson, where power isn't exactly steady and brownouts and blackouts are decently common.

how best should i protect all of this stuff power-wise? should i choose a power conditioner? a surge protector? a ups? something else? i've been reading about the differences all morning and i feel like i'm more confused now than last night. i rent this place so i can't do anything too major at the ultimate source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Alan Smithee posted:

Twitter is rear end on browser (firefox). It's constantly shifting tweets. Is there a better way to deal with this or is this just how it is

Use tweetdeck.twitter.com, it's a significantly less awful UI apart from the fact that it's designed for insane people who want to look at 9 columns of tweets at the same time. But if you just delete all but one column you're left with something that's basically twitter-but-less-bad.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

abelwingnut posted:

not sure where to post this, so here goes:

i have a lot of audio, computer, and musical equipment. specifically, i've got a mix of tube amps, solid state amps, computers, nas, guitar pedals, rack equipment, stereo receivers, gaming systems, etc. and now i'm in tucson, where power isn't exactly steady and brownouts and blackouts are decently common.

how best should i protect all of this stuff power-wise? should i choose a power conditioner? a surge protector? a ups? something else? i've been reading about the differences all morning and i feel like i'm more confused now than last night. i rent this place so i can't do anything too major at the ultimate source.

Most quality ups setups have built in surge protectors, so I would say it depends on if you need things to stay on when you lost power. If so then get a ups. If not then a quality surge protector should be fine.

Also renter's insurance is cheap. Document all the important stuff and assign replacement values and make sure your have enough coverage.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I use Android Auto in my car with Google Maps. I'm slowly starting to lose my mind because the default option for audio guidance is to severely lower music volume and say the direction. I swear it never used to be like this, back in 2018 I distinctly remember Google Maps playing the notification over the music, so I could turn direction audio down low and still get a heads up when I need to take a turn, all without interrupting my music.

Can anyone help me figure out if this is still a thing? I've taken to driving with guidance muted, because it's constantly messing with my music and can ruin entire songs over and over if I'm not on a long stretch of road. So I can either regularly miss turns because guidance is muted, or I can have a frustrating driving experience because my music keeps getting interrupted (not paused!). I've searched everywhere in the options, there's nothing.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

ninjahedgehog posted:

This -- even 3 minutes is probably too long, you are not the star of the show here

Actually on length, this is the American way but in England tradition is about double that. But yeah, thanks to all saying get in get out, get it done. Cheers.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Use tweetdeck.twitter.com, it's a significantly less awful UI apart from the fact that it's designed for insane people who want to look at 9 columns of tweets at the same time. But if you just delete all but one column you're left with something that's basically twitter-but-less-bad.

This is because you're never meant to look at your unfiltered timeline. You curate lists of stuff like 'politics', 'news', 'funny people', 'irl people' and 'goons' so the streams never cross. There is also the better tweetdeck addon too so people know you're a power user.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Qubee posted:

I use Android Auto in my car with Google Maps. I'm slowly starting to lose my mind because the default option for audio guidance is to severely lower music volume and say the direction. I swear it never used to be like this, back in 2018 I distinctly remember Google Maps playing the notification over the music, so I could turn direction audio down low and still get a heads up when I need to take a turn, all without interrupting my music.

Can anyone help me figure out if this is still a thing? I've taken to driving with guidance muted, because it's constantly messing with my music and can ruin entire songs over and over if I'm not on a long stretch of road. So I can either regularly miss turns because guidance is muted, or I can have a frustrating driving experience because my music keeps getting interrupted (not paused!). I've searched everywhere in the options, there's nothing.

Personally, if I am running audio from my phone over bluetooth, and using google maps for navigation, it depends more on what audio app my phone is using. My podcast app (podbean) will lower the podcast volume and interrupt with directions. If I'm using my music player app, the directions will pause the music, give directions, and then continue playback.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Inceltown posted:

This is because you're never meant to look at your unfiltered timeline. You curate lists of stuff like 'politics', 'news', 'funny people', 'irl people' and 'goons' so the streams never cross. There is also the better tweetdeck addon too so people know you're a power user.

Ok but that's what tabs are for. If I want to scroll my list of funny people tweets I don't want 8 other columns of random bullshit on screen at the same time.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Ok but that's what tabs are for. If I want to scroll my list of funny people tweets I don't want 8 other columns of random bullshit on screen at the same time.

It’s designed/useful for people who have to look at social media and keep an eye on mentions and messages and specific hashtags all at once.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

CzarChasm posted:

Personally, if I am running audio from my phone over bluetooth, and using google maps for navigation, it depends more on what audio app my phone is using. My podcast app (podbean) will lower the podcast volume and interrupt with directions. If I'm using my music player app, the directions will pause the music, give directions, and then continue playback.

I feel like you'd want opposite behaviour for music and podcasts.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Dr. Stab posted:

I feel like you'd want opposite behaviour for music and podcasts.

Agreed, but what I want and what I'm getting are two separate things. And it doesn't bother me enough to research it too much deeper.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Daughter's birthday is coming up. Anyone have any experience with inviting your child's class?

I feel like I'm in a bind because we're not super sociable people and the fragile social network we had kinda collapsed during Covid. Debating just sending her in with invitations but that's almost 20 kids and I don't know if I'm up for planning that number of guests. Gonna just be a handful of school acquaintances and old friends she hasn't seen in a while otherwise. Like the only kids I can think of to invite are two friends of hers she hasn't seen in two years (but I'm Facebook friends with their parents), and two school friends who managed to end up in different classes from her this year.

I'm sure there isn't a good answer here but what kind of rate would you expect for RSVPs? Half?

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 12, 2022

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I don't have kids, but having been one...
1. How old is your daughter?
2. Not to sound flippant or brusque, but have you asked her who she wants at her party? I'd be pissed if my parents invited the whole class, I went to school with some real jerks who I'd hate to see eating my birthday cake!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's also the danger of nobody showing up, or only a small number. Managing expectations is important to prevent the kid from being either overwhelmed or disappointed.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

How old is the kid? In preschool it's pretty common to invite the whole class IME From the 2-4 year old parties I've been to, it usually ends up being 1/3 to 1/2 of the class that shows up, plus some other invitees.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I don't have kids, but having been one...
1. How old is your daughter?
2. Not to sound flippant or brusque, but have you asked her who she wants at her party? I'd be pissed if my parents invited the whole class, I went to school with some real jerks who I'd hate to see eating my birthday cake!

She's going to be 8. And yeah I've asked her. There's only three kids she suggested and two of them are no longer in her class. I only have contact info for one of them

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's also the danger of nobody showing up, or only a small number. Managing expectations is important to prevent the kid from being either overwhelmed or disappointed.

Yeah this is an issue too. She's autistic and can get overstimulated by a lot of noise or too much sensory input She said she wanted a party in an indoor skate park nearby but she had a rough time with it the last time we went for another kids birthday.

Saw it suggested elsewhere that we do something in a park nearby and I think I'm going to go with that. There's a couple of good ones near us with playgrounds and lots of open space to run around in.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
In excel, what is the shortcut for changing A3:A12 into $A$3:$A$12? I thought it used to be F3 but that doesn't work.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

dokmo posted:

In excel, what is the shortcut for changing A3:A12 into $A$3:$A$12? I thought it used to be F3 but that doesn't work.

F4

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

goddamit. thanks.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Try combining it with the Alt key for additional functionality :twisted:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Quiet Feet posted:

She's going to be 8. And yeah I've asked her. There's only three kids she suggested and two of them are no longer in her class. I only have contact info for one of them

Yeah this is an issue too. She's autistic and can get overstimulated by a lot of noise or too much sensory input She said she wanted a party in an indoor skate park nearby but she had a rough time with it the last time we went for another kids birthday.

Saw it suggested elsewhere that we do something in a park nearby and I think I'm going to go with that. There's a couple of good ones near us with playgrounds and lots of open space to run around in.

If she's autistic, based on my 5 year old, you definitely want to not invite the whole class. A few select friends seems like a much better solution. Do something structured though, if not the skate park, then maybe a treasure hunt with activities or some such.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm looking for a color wheel website that I know exists, but have forgotten the name of, it had all the features of Coolors.co except it was a website, and you could copy paste the hexcodes into other programs. The big thing was that it had luminosity lock, so when you moved the slider around it moved the luminosity up or down based on the value of the hue, to be consistent with the overall values necessary. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

would it happen to be paletton?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Boba Pearl posted:

If you have giant oars shaped like wing or like sails could you, with enough people push a blimp in the air?

Update: you can go to France and try it for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwABJGzifao

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Quiet Feet posted:

we often brought a cake into school for everyone and the party then was with only 5-10 kids or so.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Platystemon posted:

Update: you can go to France and try it for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwABJGzifao

Yesssss! Airships here we come!

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
Is there a tangible benefit to using a 1 inch diameter curtain rod as opposed to a narrower one?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Narrow curtain rods — especially the rolled-steel rods with the internal tension spring — won’t hold much weight. Heavier curtains make them collapse. Unless you have a compelling reason to do otherwise, buy the more robust curtain rods.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
So in a desperate attempt to bring my rapid health failure to a halt I’ve decided to go vegetarian.

Someone point me in the right direction to start, there’s too much information out there.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Extra row of tits posted:

So in a desperate attempt to bring my rapid health failure to a halt I’ve decided to go vegetarian.

Someone point me in the right direction to start, there’s too much information out there.

I think the only rule is don't eat meat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is there a specific name for this sort of thing? I always thought it was a "hurdy gurdy" but then found out that's an entirely different thing. Is it just a "one-man band", or is there some weird old-timey name for it? The sort of setup this guy has:
https://i.imgur.com/fSnGaS8.mp4

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Being vegetarian isn't necessarily any healthier than eating meat. There are plenty of people who eat nothing but mac and cheese who are vegetarians but aren't close to remotely healthy.

You need to look at what is wrong with your current diet and do a lot less of that. Mostly just eat a whole lot less processed foods / sugars and not go crazy with fats. More than that is really hard to say without knowing your needs and your current diet.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

As others have said, cutting out meat is a good step for many reasons, but not the solution. I recommend learning to love all kinds of cabbage, either raw or lightly baked/fried. Root vegetables are also good. Also obviously chickpeas and other legumes. You want to cook your own food. A good start might be getting some Hello Fresh boxes, they come with recipes that you can reuse.

I will also recommend my mom's diet of "don't eat industrial baked goods".

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Is there a specific name for this sort of thing? I always thought it was a "hurdy gurdy" but then found out that's an entirely different thing. Is it just a "one-man band", or is there some weird old-timey name for it? The sort of setup this guy has:
https://i.imgur.com/fSnGaS8.mp4

That is a one man band, this is a hurdy gurdy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvNZeh6f8vE

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
The idea of pre-prepared meals is very appealing to me (at least to start) I’m an ok cook assuming it’s meat and bog standard ‘tatoes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Your best option is to go talk to a doctor and find out exactly what your specific health risks are. Cholesterol? Blood pressure? Vitamin deficiency? The changes you need to make will depend on what you're currently doing and what effect that's having on your body. You might also be able to get a referral to a dietitian, who will be able to give you more specific and detailed advice on the subject of what foods you should be avoiding or eating more of.

General advice though: Cut down on carbohydrates (especially sugar) and saturated fats. Do more exercise.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

dokmo posted:

That is a one man band, this is a hurdy gurdy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvNZeh6f8vE

hm, not that i've seen many hurdy gurdys, but i haven't seen one played like this where the player isn't constantly turning the crank

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

As a vegetarian myself, I’m all for more people eating no/less meat. But if getting healthier is your goal, deciding to become a vegetarian now might not be a smart move.
Change that sticks and becomes a new habbit can be really challenging. More so if it involves denying yourself something. Start with smaller steps; you can have a healthy diet that still allows for meat. Becoming a vegetarian over night might actually hinder your goal of becoming and staying healthier if it’s a big leap from how your life is now.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

My mum was never a huge fan of meat but still ate it regularly because my dad loved it. (Not unhealthily, mind you, just 4 or 5 times a week like most people.)

When he died she just kinda stopped eating meat altogether, not even as a conscious choice. She's not a vegetarian at all and occasionally would still eat meat but it just wasn't a part of her daily diet anymore because she much prefers veggies and salads and stuff.

Because she didn't make the choice consciously she never gave a thought to the nutrients her diet now lacked, which gave rise to some vitamin deficiencies and stuff. Luckily no harm done after the doctor prescribed some supplements and she's now making sure to incorporate more meat or substitutes in her diet, but still kinda weird how that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borosilicate
Aug 26, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Generally speaking you can just Google a bunch of vegan or vegetarian recipes, try the ones that look good, and add them to your repertoire if they turn out well. Chances are low that you're going to run into any nutritional deficiencies as a citizen of a wealthy country, but basically everyone should be taking vitamin D supplements, and B12 can be a problem for vegans.

The most important thing is to make food that you enjoy, if your diet feels like a punishment then you're just going to go with the lovely things you like, there are plenty of vegans out there who eat basically nothing but french fries and look and feel like poo poo.

Your own specific health goals should be taken into account though, but most people in wealthy countries are going to benefit from an increase in fiber and reduction in sugar and saturated fats (ie an increase in vegetables).