Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I'm still hoping Georgia and Moldova take the opportunity to get back what's theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Russia devolving into a modern Warlord Era China situation would be fascinating, and utterly terrifying.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

Russia devolving into a modern Warlord Era China situation would be fascinating, and utterly terrifying.

That poo poo is best left to Clancy.

Please.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
There is a long way to go between here and there but if Putin fails to outlast this debacle I could see Russia fracturing into petty states and regional powers pretty easily.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I stand by my theory of when Russia splinters China liberates a ton of land.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I believe this is a real possibility too.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Marshal Prolapse posted:

It would tie in with the Ferris wheel story.

On the lighter side of things.

https://twitter.com/uasupport999/status/1568543924611858434?s=21&t=ESW2iqhEx7u5XTH6tf4ZSg

the other half was sold for parts

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au1He0_eCkw

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Murgos posted:

What if Putin nuked Kyiv and no one noticed?

Now with Russia’s army effectively disemboweled what are the odds a few of the more distant regions decide to get while the getting’s good?

Surely there are oligarchs with ambitions out east?

Putin's done a pretty good job of hurling anyone with a shred of ambition out of a hospital window or something similar. There's nobody (with power) who would be willing to rebel against him while he's alive, but if he were to die somehow, oh yeah, Russia would devolve into absolute chaos, because there's nobody with any sort of ambition left, so nothing to unify the country behind anymore.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Is it likely that as Ukraine liberates more territory and especially cities that they’ll uncover previously unknown war crimes against civilians, further escalating western support? Was thinking that’s a high probability as the occupiers probably skipped over destroying evidence when they needed to flee eastward

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Is it likely that as Ukraine liberates more territory and especially cities that they’ll uncover previously unknown war crimes against civilians, further escalating western support? Was thinking that’s a high probability as the occupiers probably skipped over destroying evidence when they needed to flee eastward

The parts of Ukraine behind the Russian FLOT are likely home to a thousand Buchas, and we won't find out until the places are liberated.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Soldiers that are abused are far more likely to abuse civilians, and the Russian military makes it a policy to abuse the poo poo out of its soldiers. I'd be surprised if there's more than a handful of small settlements that haven't had an experience like Bucha.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm still hoping Georgia and Moldova take the opportunity to get back what's theirs.

https://twitter.com/Temebrarius/status/1567980443596918785?s=20&t=8vOKJf-hbJYweUjzP_B8Ew

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Maybe it's telephone/poor translation of this?

https://news.yahoo.com/people-transnistria-refuse-sign-contracts-184400503.html

LONA MAZURENKO — THURSDAY, 8 SEPTEMBER 2022, 21:44

The residents of Transnistria [a self-proclaimed breakaway state that is internationally recognised as part of Moldova] refuse to sign contracts with the Russian army, and there is mass desertion in the "operational group of [Russian] troops" [stationed there].

Source: The Main Intelligence Directorate

Quote: "Attempts of the military command of the Russian Federation to launch a broad campaign to recruit professional soldiers in Transnistria are not yielding any actual results.

​​The local population refuses to join the Russian army, even with the promise of high cash payments, social packages, and likely accommodation.

The main reason is the reluctance to participate in hostilities on the territory of Ukraine, especially since many ‘volunteers’ who decided to sign the contract at the beginning of the war either died or are missing.

Additionally, against the background of the events in Ukraine, the Intelligence notes an increase in the number of desertion cases in the "operational group of Russian troops in Transnistria".

Details: It is reported that due to the limited number of military contingents, the Russians can’t mobilise enough people to search for and to return those missing.

A massive dismissal from the military service is also being observed after the contracts expire.

The "operational group" of Russian forces in Transnistria has recently intensified the training of personnel. Taking into account the course of events in Ukraine, significant adjustments were made in the training program. In particular, the number of classes with units of rear support and military medical aid has been increased.

At the same time, the obsolete facilities do not let the Russian command improve the quality of logistics units.

A similar situation is observed when it comes to the training of military medics; the number of classes has been increased, but the local military has been using outdated approaches to providing first aid on the battlefield, subsequent evacuation and provision of medical equipment.

The military is provided with equipment, medicines, individual wound dressing bags and rubber tourniquets of Soviet design.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 11, 2022

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I want to believe, but I don't trust anyone who puts more than one title in their handle.

"the Clever" is bad enough, just imagine if I were Hon. Dr. Cugel the Clever, Esq. PhD.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Cugel the Clever posted:

I want to believe, but I don't trust anyone who puts more than one title in their handle.

"the Clever" is bad enough, just imagine if I were Hon. Dr. Cugel the Clever, Esq. PhD.

I was gonna say "could just be German", and clicking through says yes.

Germans insist on using all the titles. So a professor isn't just "Doctor Schwantz" or whatever, they're "Doctor Professor Schwantz". And then you get late-career big shots with three honorary PhDs and a couple of cross-postings, who get announced as "Herr Doctor Doctor Doctor Doctor Professor Professor Professor Schwantz".

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Germans insist on using all the titles. So a professor isn't just "Doctor Schwantz" or whatever, they're "Doctor Professor Schwantz". And then you get late-career big shots with three honorary PhDs and a couple of cross-postings, who get announced as "Herr Doctor Doctor Doctor Doctor Professor Professor Professor Schwantz".

They'll also make sure to put their undergraduate degree in their signature block as well. Thanks for reminding me you have a B.Sc in Engineering, procurement guy! Now send me that Ariba link so I can fill out another form.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Arrath posted:

That poo poo is best left to Clancy.

Please.

Clancy's dead, and with his passing the images of the world to be that haunted his mind coalesced into reality

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Don't bother trying to hint that in other cultures it might seem pompous and arrogant. They know, that's the point.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
It's weirdest in the military "Colonel Doctor Müller"

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

What, you don't trust dr professor crab

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

I still can't believe the US forced Putin to launch an all-out invasion of Ukraine by repeatedly warning the world that Putin was about to launch an all-out invasion of Ukraine.

smh is there no limit the perfidious liberal will not cross?

The universe operates by the rules of The Secret and it’s in this manner that LIBS are responsible

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

won't happen, because then china would get glassed

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
If Russia splinters China will just create a lot of "independent republics" like Transnistria run by Chinese officials and full of Chinese troops.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
There's a pretty good WW3 novel from the 90s called ARC LIGHT, which has nothing to do with B-52s really. It's about a conventional war between China and Russia which Russia's losing, so they fire just a COUPLE nukes at China to stop the bleeding. The Chinese are able to get off a counterstrike which triggers Russia's automatic defense system which launches a counterforce attack on America, which counterforce launches on Russia's strategic nuclear sites...

...and then they actually manage to stop the escalation there, before cities start getting erased, and the rest of the book is America trying to pick up the pieces. It's full of interesting little details like the plan to turn all the nation's contaminated dairy into cheese and store it until it decays to levels safe to eat. Also a vengeful American electorate demands a ground war against 1990s Russia, which the Americans win, but winning is sort of bad because the Russians still have their boomer and get more and more desperate and willing to use them.

Nothing to do with Ukraine or the current situation (hopefully!!!!!!) but a pretty decent thriller. It contains some of the more harrowing second by second narration of an ICBM flight I've ever encountered.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

General Battuta posted:

There's a pretty good WW3 novel from the 90s called ARC LIGHT, which has nothing to do with B-52s really.

"That's the ball game."

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

General Battuta posted:

plan to turn all the nation's contaminated dairy into cheese and store it until it decays to levels safe to eat
what

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You heard me buster :colbert:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Also details like The Weather Channel becoming the most popular network on television because of the frequency of fallout updates.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

General Battuta posted:

There's a pretty good WW3 novel from the 90s called ARC LIGHT, which has nothing to do with B-52s really. It's about a conventional war between China and Russia which Russia's losing, so they fire just a COUPLE nukes at China to stop the bleeding. The Chinese are able to get off a counterstrike which triggers Russia's automatic defense system which launches a counterforce attack on America, which counterforce launches on Russia's strategic nuclear sites...

...and then they actually manage to stop the escalation there, before cities start getting erased, and the rest of the book is America trying to pick up the pieces. It's full of interesting little details like the plan to turn all the nation's contaminated dairy into cheese and store it until it decays to levels safe to eat. Also a vengeful American electorate demands a ground war against 1990s Russia, which the Americans win, but winning is sort of bad because the Russians still have their boomer and get more and more desperate and willing to use them.

Nothing to do with Ukraine or the current situation (hopefully!!!!!!) but a pretty decent thriller. It contains some of the more harrowing second by second narration of an ICBM flight I've ever encountered.

It’s always nice to know that I’m not the only one who likes Arc Light. It’s funny how straight laced it is compared to Harry’s Invasion which is pure strain bonkers (fun) trash.

I remember back in the day before Amazon being standard (my parents were not early e-commerce people);I couldn’t find a copy of the book in the US I wrote to the author and his wife was extremely nice and sent me a copy for free.

I loved all the details in it. Man clearly read The Day After World War III book from back in the 1980s.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 11, 2022

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I don't think splintering makes that much sense for most Russian regional bigwigs. There's no real regional identities, much of the decent jobs come from the federal government, and not that many places with the population density to support a country. Some city on the transsib + a couple million square km of swamp and forest isn't gonna stay a country for long if they go for it. I'm struggling to think of a place that might be tempted to give it a shot.

Maybe slow penetration by China when the central government loses the ability to push back. Economic connections + bribes and kickbacks for the regional authorities + loosening of the current restrictions on immigration from China. But that should be a relatively orderly gradual change of management without Google maps having to change the borders or explosions posted on Twitter.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Arc light is a dope book

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Armacham posted:

Arc light is a dope book

I'll add my thumbs up, just read it for the first time earlier this year.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Marshal Prolapse posted:

It’s always nice to know that I’m not the only one who likes Arc Light.

:buddy:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

Would make a pretty good HoI4 mod tho

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Still bizarre that at this point in the war not only has the superpower failed to win but their #1 priority at the moment is escaping encirclement. Can’t imagine that tactic was part of the pre-war briefing. Wonder if mass surrender is more likely as captured troops can reasonably expect humane treatment and to get home alive.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love my Ukrainian Rammstein Covers

https://twitter.com/victorkvert2008/status/1569020239903326214?s=46&t=byFJnsnoQbJNukzuGiIsWg

:)

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 11, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yo I read Arc Light this year and it ruled

Also Arc Light sent me a dosimeter so he rules too

A+ book and poster

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

aphid_licker posted:

I don't think splintering makes that much sense for most Russian regional bigwigs. There's no real regional identities, much of the decent jobs come from the federal government, and not that many places with the population density to support a country. Some city on the transsib + a couple million square km of swamp and forest isn't gonna stay a country for long if they go for it. I'm struggling to think of a place that might be tempted to give it a shot.

Maybe slow penetration by China when the central government loses the ability to push back. Economic connections + bribes and kickbacks for the regional authorities + loosening of the current restrictions on immigration from China. But that should be a relatively orderly gradual change of management without Google maps having to change the borders or explosions posted on Twitter.

It'd be pretty funny if China seized the Kuril Islands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Elviscat posted:

It'd be pretty funny if China seized the Kuril Islands.

I can imagine Japan would take umbrage to that.