Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lammasu posted:

People that see themselves as innovators want to keep innovating even if it's something stupid.

That's some bullshit. Will Wright was the lead on 2 or 3 of the most important games in history, and the 10th best selling franchise of all time. He had one meh game while working at a company that is constantly poo poo on for running their studios into the ground. If he wanted to innovate realistically there are plenty of people who would sign that check.

The common thing with Molyneux, Garriott, and Roberts is they have no sense of what they can achieve with their teams and resources. They make disasters because they have zero real innovation besides "it's gonna be huge, the best game ever". So they turn into con-men just from a lack of any other idea.

(Though I don't even know how much Garriott actually has to do with the last few projects he's put his name on. Was he the main guy for Shroud of the Avatar, or was he just cashing in to be more of a spokesman? Seems like it would be hard to lead a dev team from space!)

Maybe Wright has turned into one of those guys, but drat that's sad. And I'd think he could get more than 6 mil if he really wanted to run a con.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

kirbysuperstar posted:

man who made simcity ignores lessons of simcity

SimCity's lesson was "happiness and sickness don't matter, just cop up"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Somfin posted:

I was thinking of the pollution and environmental impact angle but well, you got me there

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I sure wish some dumbasses swell investors with too much money would give me 6 million to con people into thinking JPEGs in videogames are worth a ton of money. I'd even settle for just 1 million.

Mr Wright can't judge me; he sold out just as I would and he didn't regret this.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Somfin posted:

The US Government took this lesson to heart at least.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Klyith posted:

That's some bullshit. Will Wright was the lead on 2 or 3 of the most important games in history, and the 10th best selling franchise of all time. He had one meh game while working at a company that is constantly poo poo on for running their studios into the ground. If he wanted to innovate realistically there are plenty of people who would sign that check.

Yeah, there's plenty of examples of auteur game designers/directors who use their clout to form new companies or crowdfund new projects without committing to crypto scams. If Will Wright simply wanted to try making innovative new games, he could put up a kickstarter that said "I'm will wright, i made loving simcity, and i want to make a new video game mother fuckers" and people would line up to hand him cash.

The running thread with all of these old game dev titans that are turning to crypto scams seems to just be not having produced anything of note in games development in decades but wanting to wring their good names for however much cash they can get away with, rather than a sincere desire to innovate again. I adamantly refuse to believe that a man who spent as much time thinking about the role and purpose of his creations as Will Wright did is blind to what NFTs represent, I think he's just taking the devil's bargain.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AG3 posted:

The US Government took this lesson to heart at least.
IIRC Will Wright was horrified to find out people were using Sim City as a political gimmick in some mayoral election I'm the 90s.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Splicer posted:

IIRC Will Wright was horrified to find out people were using Sim City as a political gimmick in some mayoral election I'm the 90s.

And dear departed Herman Cain tried to use a 9% flat tax as a gimmick in the 2010s!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

So, when's our friend Todd Howard joining in on the fun? Where are the NFT planets in Starfield?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Todd is currently biding his time. NFT gaming is so lovely and exploitative that it will make the paid mods system that he so desperately wants to re-introduce seem sane by comparison

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

CharlestonJew posted:

Todd is currently biding his time. NFT gaming is so lovely and exploitative that it will make the paid mods system that he so desperately wants to re-introduce seem sane by comparison

"What if I told you about a new, emerging technology that will revolutionise your ownership of your loot, and let you grow your yield from passive income streams while you play to earn"

It's supposed to be NFT items on the blockchain and a P2E currency but because it's Bethesda the keys to the official company wallet are in plaintext in a document in the folder next to the executable, the P2E system works but only because they manually send out the currency to anyone who complains, and the NFTs all default to giving you the same iron dagger as the only drop (literally the same object, whenever anyone enchants it it overrides everyone else's copies of the NFT dagger)

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Another NFT game company went bankrupt because they invested in Luna.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
...what really strikes me down with how utterly shameless these people are is the way they keep going ON AND ON about how this was going to be web3, the new way to run things on the internet and share information!

And then everyone asks them how and they just babble about ownership as if their little piece of software was in ANY way superior to anything that is already here. I mean, God knows the internet is bad right now, but... This was so obviously not the answer to anything.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Samovar posted:

...what really strikes me down with how utterly shameless these people are is the way they keep going ON AND ON about how this was going to be web3, the new way to run things on the internet and share information!

And then everyone asks them how and they just babble about ownership as if their little piece of software was in ANY way superior to anything that is already here. I mean, God knows the internet is bad right now, but... This was so obviously not the answer to anything.

the pitch that had a lot of artists buy in and be hopeful at first was that theft of art assets is a huge, huge loving thing that impacts them. nfts in theory solve part of that by providing proof of authenticity and all that. but it very very rapidly became just about money laundering and poo poo

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Except 'proof of authenticity" doesn't matter to anyone except the artist and any potential work with a formal agreement.

The below twitter account is proof that once you create art nothing will stop someone from doing with it what they will, including profiting off of it. I understand the massive appeal of tamping down on this and curbing outright theft of work you did create, but to believe the NFT's or any web3 bullshit is the solution is just ignorant of the issues with those technologies and desperation to solve an unsolvable problem.

https://twitter.com/bootlegbart

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Those artists were lied to because NFTs in no way assert proof of ownership (legally) and in fact just make fraud even easier. The existence of a real problem doesn't mean that NFTs are even a step towards a solution, because they're not.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Not to mention all the NFTs made from stolen art, to which the proposed "solution" is "well you should have minted it first."

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

the post in question said there was no problem that people perceived as being solved by these. i'm not here to defend NFTs don't be weird

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

They actually didn't say anything like that at all!

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Clarste posted:

They actually didn't say anything like that at all!

sorry, that's how i read "this is so obviously not the answer to anything at all" :shrug: it was a wrong answer, but the appeal to artists esp. is pretty obvious, as per the above. maybe i read it wrong idk

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Something I just thought of -- an NFT is tied to a certain blockchain, right? Can you make a competing NFT tied to a different blockchain for a piece of content?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

You can make the same NFT over and over again tied to the same blockchain. What's gonna stop you? The only thing "unique" is the specific entry on the blockchain, which is not directly tied to the art in any way. Just reupload the exact same image and link to it with a new smart contract, bam fungible NFTS.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 6, 2022

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, recall that an NFT is just basically a key or address. A lot of the art NFTs happen to just point to a jpg but in all honesty what you own is the string, not the art itself. So you could take a single piece of art, let's go with the Mona Lisa for the maximum dumb example, and make a million NFTs out of it if you really wanted because all they are is a wallet address essentially.

This has actually had an incredibly hilarious side effect intended effect.

There's a term called "rug pull." A rug pull is what it sounds like, someone pulling the rug out from under you and your dumb rear end gets scammed with no recourse.

So there have been several NFT purchases of art that after the sale the buyer changes the address to a picture of a literal rug. It's great, gently caress cryptobros forever.

e: It's also really sad to say "gently caress cryptobros forever" and then immediately prior in this thread see that previous icons of this industry like Will Wright are becoming said bros. I would love to think that he and the rest of the old hands know better and in a way I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they do know better but are just believing that the proposed good side that doesn't actually exist actually exists.

A lot of NFT talk in gaming is about ownership, something that is mind-blowingly already done. If you look back at Star Wars Galaxies, a weird janky crafting MMO from 2003 I'm pretty certain that items crafted by players (which was nearly all items) had the character's name who made it on it. If not, I'm sure there are other MMO's that have done that since. Also, MMO's have been doing "this gear is tradeable unless you put it on" forms of ownership since vanilla WoW if not earlier in EQ. It genuinely floors me that there are people out there trying to sell NFTs in gaming as though these are new concepts that we just now have the technology or systems to handle.

And I realize I'm the real fool here for being incredulous since these are the same dipshits literally reinventing things daily that we've had for 40+ years without realizing it.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 6, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Here’s a good one from another thread.

quote:

Assassin's Creed Mirage is getting an AO rating (yes, really), the first console game to be intentionally sold this way, because of an NFT marketplace that the ESRB considers real gambling.

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/store/assassins-creed-mirage/9n4096hx1wwq

lol

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Don't the bigger brick and mortar stores refuse to carry AO rated media?

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Wait aren't assassins creed games single player?
You're buying an NFT for a single player game?
Like at least if you buy a CS knife you can kind of show it off so even if I think that's dumb this is even more dumberer.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

organburner posted:

Like at least if you buy a CS knife you can kind of show it off so even if I think that's dumb this is even more dumberer.

The extra confusing thing is Ubisoft already tried NFTs and it loving bombed. Why in the world do they expect this to do any better?

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

King of Solomon posted:

The extra confusing thing is Ubisoft already tried NFTs and it loving bombed. Why in the world do they expect this to do any better?

I hope it's just a cowl with a tiny serial number again.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean a lot of this, if not most, comes from the executives being NFT bros or NFT bro adjacent. Logic and facts don't persuade them because their identity is caught up in these things succeeding.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

King of Solomon posted:

Because they really really want this to work. If they can make NFTs a thing, they can make a lot of money with barely any effort.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

MarcusSA posted:

Here’s a good one from another thread.

lol

Wait, I thought that Xbox had a policy of not releasing AO games? GOD drat IT! I better be getting my weird rear end hentai VAs.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Because they really really want this to work. If they can make NFTs a thing, they can make a lot of money with barely any effort.

I look forward to them making an extra hundred dollars from their market place and losing tens of thousands from lost game sales.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

organburner posted:

They already sell real money skins for single player games, NFTs aren't that far off.
For example, Immortals: Fenyx Rising has a massive cash shop full of cosmetics and mount skins and its own otherwise-useless cash shop currency you have to convert realdollars into.
(You can't even spend the lovely cash shop currency on buying the expansion packs, those are real money only.)

you would need to spend 85 dollars to get all the skin packs in this tab, plus there are a bunch of weapon and mount skins too

this is a full price game that costs $60

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 11, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

People who like NFTs don't care what they are, they just want them to go up in value so they can sell them. They are also not especially good at judging what will go up in value.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

They already sell real money skins for single player games, NFTs aren't that far off.

it all started with horse armor

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Incidentally I got some horse armor for preordering the new Monkey Island.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

A lot of NFT talk in gaming is about ownership, something that is mind-blowingly already done. If you look back at Star Wars Galaxies, a weird janky crafting MMO from 2003 I'm pretty certain that items crafted by players (which was nearly all items) had the character's name who made it on it. If not, I'm sure there are other MMO's that have done that since. Also, MMO's have been doing "this gear is tradeable unless you put it on" forms of ownership since vanilla WoW if not earlier in EQ. It genuinely floors me that there are people out there trying to sell NFTs in gaming as though these are new concepts that we just now have the technology or systems to handle.

IIRC, Raph Koster mentioned in the post-mortem at GDC that the crafting system exploded their databases. Presumably a MMO made today could handle an order of magnitude (or two?) more crap in the DB, but it only need just that... a database. Blockchain not necessary lol.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Eurogamer: Square Enix joins the Oasys blockchain

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

More surprised to learn Sega and Namco got in on it earlier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

SE is not alone here. Two of the founding members of that network are Bandai-Namco and Sega of America execs.