Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

General Battuta posted:

There's a pretty good WW3 novel from the 90s called ARC LIGHT, which has nothing to do with B-52s really. It's about a conventional war between China and Russia which Russia's losing, so they fire just a COUPLE nukes at China to stop the bleeding. The Chinese are able to get off a counterstrike which triggers Russia's automatic defense system which launches a counterforce attack on America, which counterforce launches on Russia's strategic nuclear sites...

...and then they actually manage to stop the escalation there, before cities start getting erased, and the rest of the book is America trying to pick up the pieces. It's full of interesting little details like the plan to turn all the nation's contaminated dairy into cheese and store it until it decays to levels safe to eat. Also a vengeful American electorate demands a ground war against 1990s Russia, which the Americans win, but winning is sort of bad because the Russians still have their boomer and get more and more desperate and willing to use them.

Nothing to do with Ukraine or the current situation (hopefully!!!!!!) but a pretty decent thriller. It contains some of the more harrowing second by second narration of an ICBM flight I've ever encountered.

there was a Let's Read of this in TFR a while back, iirc someone got in contact with the author and he was completely overwhelmed that anyone remembered it and wanted to talk to him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shame on an IGA posted:

there was a Let's Read of this in TFR a while back, iirc someone got in contact with the author and he was completely overwhelmed that anyone remembered it and wanted to talk to him

Could you link to the thread if you can find it?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Could you link to the thread if you can find it?

I had it confused with Alas, Babylon

e: and definitely no one contacted the author of that one, I hope :2spoopy:

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 11, 2022

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

shame on an IGA posted:

I had it confused with Alas, Babylon

I'm pretty impressed by TFR's resourcefulness, given that Pat Frank died in 1964.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

shame on an IGA posted:

No, that was Fire Lance, and I was the one who got in touch with the author. We still chat sometimes!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1569008111494565888?s=20&t=CDWuYXR_qJz6mfCKxgb7eg

:stare:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"Oh, is that what he wants me to see, the dude flagging the firing line with the...oh." :stare:

I didn't even notice the first time the "range master" decided to take a page from the Gunny Highway book. Also willing to bet SGT> Tons-of-Fun there has never seen real combat.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 11, 2022

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Why is the one dude in sneakers?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hypnobeard posted:

"I wear Carhartt. I am 'operator' of Tier Number One." :smuggo:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

General Battuta posted:

No, that was Fire Lance, and I was the one who got in touch with the author. We still chat sometimes!

You probably have some professional knowledge of this, what's the hindrance of earlier generation authors to republish their out of print backlog as ebooks?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Hypnobeard posted:

Lots of Russian soldiers seem to be wearing sneakers. Dunno if they don't have boots or wear them for comfort and don't have a chain of command that gives a gently caress.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hypnobeard posted:

Wait until you see all the front line troops in dress shoes

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hannibal Rex posted:

You probably have some professional knowledge of this, what's the hindrance of earlier generation authors to republish their out of print backlog as ebooks?

Not him, but it can be an issue with tracking down the estate, a publisher not retaining rights, or the author doesn’t want it or care about it, among others, such as the publisher having no e print rights.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Is the main reason sneakers/trainers are bad because of no ankle support?

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Wombot posted:

That and combat boots are usually somewhat water resistant so you can step in puddles without ruining the rest of your day. Also better traction and you can walk in thick mud without losing your shoes.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i'd think it would have more to do with construction quality and protection. even well made sneakers don't handle actually heavy use, like at all and their adhesive doesn't deal well with getting submerged and they're just not stitched to handle abrasions without just coming apart. good boots are like a thousand times tougher. sneakers also fall apart way faster when used while under load, too. There's a reason you'll basically never see sneakers anywhere any kind of 'hard' work is happening.

not a soldier tho so I can't speak to that perspective, presumably that adds a whole additional layer of wear n tear + difficulty replacing them and also it being really fuckin bad to get your feet hurt or have your shoes fall apart?

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 11, 2022

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Wait, do hiking shoes (not boots) count as sneakers?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
good lord no

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah, I'm curious for a couple reasons:
Both Nike and Adidas have made/do make combat boots based on their sneaker fits (they end up looking like really high top sneakers).

And then also there's such a huge range of hiking/trail running shoes available now.

Are there any armies that eschew traditional combat boots for lighter footwear, sort of like how you can see Japanese carpenters wearing heavy-duty socks vs the steel-toe full-leather boots at American construction sites?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sneakers aside is he using a proper AK to 'train' them?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

How long before we close the tactical minivan gap?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Wombot posted:

1) Durability. Some combat boots do have a sole more similar to a sneaker than a hiking boot, but they'll be more durable in the upper so you can go prone and not shred the toe box. Also even lighter weight urban combat boots will have a more durable sole so they don't get shredded on rocks

2) Stiffness. If you're climbing over rough terrain you want some stiffness in the sole so that you can get purchase. A boot for climbing to the peak over rough terrain will have a stiffer sole than a boot for day hikes on well worn trails.

3) logistics. In some situations sneakers would be fine, temporarily. But if you're actually doing 8 hour patrols every day you'll wear them out incredibly fast.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Re: sneakers, I recently listened to the Lions Led by Donkeys podcast series about the Soviet Afghanistan war, and learned it was a thing for Soviet soldiers to wear knockoffs of adidas sneakers.

The backstory: At one time, adidas had the official exclusive deal to manufacture footwear for the Olympics. The 1980 Olympics were held in Moscow, and the USSR insisted that capitalist companies with such deals could not make shoes (or soda, etc) outside the USSR and just ship the goods in. So adidas set up a local factory, tooled it up, and used it to make all the shoes used by athletes in the tournament. The deal was that when the Olympics were over, adidas had to leave the factory and most of its equipment behind. Despite an agreement to not to keep making adidas designed athletic sneakers, the Soviets kept doing just that, with Москва (Moscow) replacing the adidas branding.

Москваs were used in military training. As you might expect, this created a black market in selling them to the public. But what else was going on with the Red Army in the 1980s? Afghanistan! Where the Red Army quickly discovered their standard issue boots were terrible for rugged mountainous terrain. Too stiff, too uncomfortable. The field expedient solution was to wear your cool Москваs instead. Regardless of whether they were actually a good idea, Москваs became something of a fashion/status symbol for elite military units operating in Afghanistan.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Fire resistance, too. I could wear whatever "combat boot" I wanted (as long as it was the right color) on the ground, but for flying I had to wear an approved pair from an official list. The Nikes and a bunch of others have a tendency to melt, which is bad for the flesh inside.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

:hmmyes:

TIL about boots. Thanks y'all!

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

What's the deal with hiking shoes? Who makes good ones if they're so much beefier than sneakers.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Back in 2009 I had either the Oakley or Under Armour (can't remember) combat boots and they were the most comfortable boots I have ever worn. By the end of about 9 months in Afghanistan they were falling apart, especially the glue holding the sole on but I would still wear them on missions just not around anyone important. Saw a lot of SF dudes wearing Merrell's hiking shoes or boots though. This was way before they started a tan or black "military" model. I remember "side zips" were banned for some reason but people loved them.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Godholio posted:

Fire resistance, too. I could wear whatever "combat boot" I wanted (as long as it was the right color) on the ground, but for flying I had to wear an approved pair from an official list. The Nikes and a bunch of others have a tendency to melt, which is bad for the flesh inside.

Tbh if you're on fire mid flight I dont think what boots you're wearing are going to matter that much unless you've got your name tattooed on your foot imo.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Carth Dookie posted:

Tbh if you're on fire mid flight I dont think what boots you're wearing are going to matter that much unless you've got your name tattooed on your foot imo.

You won't be able to combat the casualty if you are screaming in pain because your foot is on fire. A fire in a crewed space is exactly the kind of thing where it is all hands on deck, at least in the navy. I would imagine that goes doubly for a much more limited flight crew.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i'd think it would have more to do with construction quality and protection. even well made sneakers don't handle actually heavy use, like at all and their adhesive doesn't deal well with getting submerged and they're just not stitched to handle abrasions without just coming apart. good boots are like a thousand times tougher. sneakers also fall apart way faster when used while under load, too. There's a reason you'll basically never see sneakers anywhere any kind of 'hard' work is happening.

weirdly the super expensive ones hold up pretty well to abuse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEiIcPHTzCM

I mean, they're not worth anywhere near the sticker cost, but it shows that if the companies want, they can make sneakers that don't fall apart instantly

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/juliadavisnews/status/1569073972213596160?s=46&t=L5ymbuO1Y772G5jt-QcoiA

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Wrong Theory posted:

Back in 2009 I had either the Oakley or Under Armour (can't remember) combat boots and they were the most comfortable boots I have ever worn. By the end of about 9 months in Afghanistan they were falling apart, especially the glue holding the sole on but I would still wear them on missions just not around anyone important. Saw a lot of SF dudes wearing Merrell's hiking shoes or boots though. This was way before they started a tan or black "military" model. I remember "side zips" were banned for some reason but people loved them.

I joke tried on UA boots when i saw them in a store and went oh gently caress i need these and have ended up buying 4 pairs of the loving things since then because theyre so comfy. They wear out quicker than like wolverines and poo poo but theyre better than most shoes i ever had on my feet at basically the same price when i last bought them.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Wrong Theory posted:

I had a set of Oakley’s from that timeframe. They lasted a couple months of heavy use, then the glue on the sole failed.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Carth Dookie posted:

Not trying to stomp on your dick but you're very very wrong.

There's a very good reason every bit of flight gear from the gloves to the boots is flame retardant.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Pretty spicy exchange at the end of the first video. One of the hardliners insists that the war must go on as long as it takes, and his more pragmatic opponent retorts by asking if his ten year old children will have a chance to fight.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Voyager I posted:

Pretty spicy exchange at the end of the first video. One of the hardliners insists that the war must go on as long as it takes, and his more pragmatic opponent retorts by asking if his ten year old children will have a chance to fight.

Yeah, it’s kind of crazy seeing reality start leaking in and not just reality, but brutally honest reality. I don’t mean to argue these are good people, but they do seem to have their not fully up their own rear end like Maria or Olga the Drunk.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 12, 2022

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yeah, it’s kind of crazy seeing reality start leaking in and not just reality, but brutally honest reality. I don’t mean to argue these are good people, but they do seem to have their not fully up their own rear end like Maria or Olga the Drunk.

I got some pretty heavy pro-escalation vibes from both videos

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Late to the party on this but incredible Battlefield 1942 vibes with that tank and that tree, the most incredible lols

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kupachek posted:

I got some pretty heavy pro-escalation vibes from both videos

Well reality for some, doubling down on delusion for others.

Although he may just be controlled opposition.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1569084264506851328?s=46&t=Jt5mZbJWFjKRLYZkx01zCQ

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

e: in case it's not obvious, that's mocking the Russian talking heads weighing the paths ahead of them. Ukraine should do everything it can to reclaim its full territorial integrity.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 12, 2022