Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

When I make a comment to someone and its met with silence. Then I assume they didn't hear me the first time, and I repeat myself, but they cut in with "yeah i heard you the first time". Oh really? Did you? Can I get an mhm or oh yeah or yep or SOME acknowledgement that you have received the information to your ears? Its like I am talking to a brick wall sometimes! Might as well be.

Especially annoying if that comment is "I love you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Dip Viscous posted:

What IS the actual deal with people that get into their car, start the engine, and sit there with it idling for 1-2 hours?

It doesn't even affect me because I don't drive, but what the poo poo?

Edit: my next door neighbor starts his pickup at 5 AM, gets in and starts revving the engine at 6, and actually departs for work at 7. It's hosed.

I don't understand idiots who sit with their engine idling while waiting in line for fuel, or in the carpark for half an hour while their partner goes into the shops.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I remember when I was in college and people would go nap in their cars in the parking lot

I'd rather be horribly exhausted than nap in a car in a parking lot between classes.

Same with eating an entire meal behind the steering wheel. At least go on the passenger side, why you want a steering wheel in your face while you eat

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

It’s better to go sleep in the library, we’ll leave you alone unless you start screaming in your sleep or it’s closing time

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That's the literal meaning of it. "PSY is my bias, and I love when he gangnam styled into that stable. Jungkook is overrated poo poo for zoomers."

Yes, that is a gerund and it's a super common thing in english, and considered to be "official" proper grammar for the learned smarts. "Heroin is addictive (adjective)." "Heroin is addicting (also adjective.)"

"That post is shocking." (adjective, another gerund formed by taking a verb and slapping the -ing on to express "wow this is a very stupid post")

My pet peeve is prescriptive linguistics. Especially when it's just "that seems wrong" but no it's accepted, it's just not how you talk. I'm definitely not using punctuation correctly here, and I ain't give a poo poo. I tried to sound generic newscaster american in the freedom fries era, and now I just miss my native accent and wish I could go back. This here post is not an academic paper, y'all all understand what I'm saying, so who cares? Look upon my comma splices, ye mighty, and despair.

e: or hell let's compare to french. "Je marche" is both "I walk" and "I am walking." Because french doesn't use gerunds like that. In english those have different connotations. You take walks vs you are currently en route to a location as a pedestrian. It's a convenient construction. Other ways english lacks convenient constructions, like I how I keep saying "you" but I mean general person, I don't mean to specifically call out poster HOLY gently caress. In french perhaps I'd use "on" but using "one" for that in modern american english makes you sound real weird.

Unironically telling someone they are being pedantic wrong. :allears: I love unironically goons

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Brawnfire posted:

I remember when I was in college and people would go nap in their cars in the parking lot

I'd rather be horribly exhausted than nap in a car in a parking lot between classes.

Same with eating an entire meal behind the steering wheel. At least go on the passenger side, why you want a steering wheel in your face while you eat

I think some people have a lovely home situation.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah, like Jeff Winger who got kicked out of his apartment

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

But there were loads of better sleeping spots on campus, people were sleeping all over the drat place. Some people just straight up love being in their cars

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Brawnfire posted:

Some people just straight up love being in their cars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im3JzxlatUs

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gary Numan being a weirdo with Aspergers whose biggest hit is about how he likes being in cars because he doesn't have to interact with anyone else makes him the Gooniest artist of the 80s.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I really hate the little notifications and emails Google is always sending me reminding me of places I've been. First of all, thanks, Google, for reminding me that you track my location at all times via my cellphone. That's not creepy at all. Secondly, 95% of the time it's saying "hey, remember that place you went to?" and it's the same places i go to all the time; my friends' places, my mom's place. But today it says "remember that trip 1 year ago to [other state]?" Yes, google, I remember. I went to a funeral. Thanks for the loving reminder.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I loving hate bluetooth. Hate how so many devices are visible and try to pair 24/7 for the sake of saving a few seconds.
I woke up this morning from the neighbor's kids connecting their ps5 to my soundbar.

Devices should only try to pair when put into a pairing mode, be it button, nfc, super close proximity or whatever.
Not just hoping your neighbors won't gently caress around and connect for whatever reason.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SubNat posted:

I loving hate bluetooth. Hate how so many devices are visible and try to pair 24/7 for the sake of saving a few seconds.
I woke up this morning from the neighbor's kids connecting their ps5 to my soundbar.

Devices should only try to pair when put into a pairing mode, be it button, nfc, super close proximity or whatever.
Not just hoping your neighbors won't gently caress around and connect for whatever reason.

The thing I hate about Bluetooth is how unreliable it is. This device can't see that one. OK now it can see it but the code's not coming up for some reason. It paired but then instantly disconnected. These devices are already paired and we've been using them together every day for a week but today it just says it can't connect. Guess I'll unpair and re-pair and see if that magically does something. Everything was fine but I made a stupid mistake of moving one of the devices three centimetres to the left so now they've disconnected. Or I did literally nothing and was nowhere near either device but they've just decided to disconnect. They say they're connected but this file I'm trying to send got to 13% and stopped.

It's nothing but hassles. Turns out cables are fine actually. Wirelessness isn't worth this.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

SubNat posted:

I hate Bluetooth with a fiery passion. I managed to avoid using it for years until my ancient wireless headphones finally crapped out. Then fine, fine, I guess I'll buy some Bluetooth ones.

My computer doesn't have native Bluetooth so I bought a little USB dongle for the purpose. No problem. Paired the headphones with the computer, all hunky dory. For about a week. Then they just stopped pairing with the computer.

The headphones connect to my phone just fine, so there's nothing wrong with the Bluetooth connection on the headphones. I have some Bluetooth video game controllers and those connect to my computer no problem, so the Bluetooth dongle is functioning fine. No, there's a problem specifically between the headphones and the computer. The primary purpose for which I bought these headphones. So I have to use them plugged in.

It sucks. Bluetooth sucks. And I hate it.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
People parking at the pumps at the gas station and doing anything other than pumping gas.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

In my old car, the latch on the passenger side didn't work on the inside, it was just easier to eat with the steering column.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I work at a convenience store that unfortunately shares a parking lot with a set of gas pumps that it's not affiliated with. So despite there being a CLOSED sign on the pumps, another sign that says IF YOU NEED ASSISTANCE GO TO THIS BUILDING NOT THAT BUILDING, another sign on our store that says WE ARE NOT AFFILIATED WITH GAS PUMPS, and another sign right at the register that again says IF YOU NEED HELP WITH GAS GO TO THE OTHER BUILDING, at least one out of every ten customers is someone who parked their car at the gas pumps, couldn't figure out why nobody's helping (it's Oregon so we're not allowed to pump our own gas), then ignore all the signs, wait in line, and then get really really really upset at me when I tell them I can't help them with the gas.

I honestly get it; without the signs there's no reason to not think the convenience store and gas pumps are connected. And I'm oblivious at times. I miss signs. But there are FOUR OF THEM -- five of them if you consider the sign on the front entrance is posted on either door -- and they manage to ignore each one.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

credburn posted:

I work at a convenience store that unfortunately shares a parking lot with a set of gas pumps that it's not affiliated with. So despite there being a CLOSED sign on the pumps, another sign that says IF YOU NEED ASSISTANCE GO TO THIS BUILDING NOT THAT BUILDING, another sign on our store that says WE ARE NOT AFFILIATED WITH GAS PUMPS, and another sign right at the register that again says IF YOU NEED HELP WITH GAS GO TO THE OTHER BUILDING, at least one out of every ten customers is someone who parked their car at the gas pumps, couldn't figure out why nobody's helping (it's Oregon so we're not allowed to pump our own gas), then ignore all the signs, wait in line, and then get really really really upset at me when I tell them I can't help them with the gas.

I honestly get it; without the signs there's no reason to not think the convenience store and gas pumps are connected. And I'm oblivious at times. I miss signs. But there are FOUR OF THEM -- five of them if you consider the sign on the front entrance is posted on either door -- and they manage to ignore each one.

Just think about the fact that they are probably paying just as much attention while they drive to and from the pumps

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

credburn posted:

(it's Oregon so we're not allowed to pump our own gas)

What happens if you do? :ohdear:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Silver Falcon posted:

I hate Bluetooth with a fiery passion. I managed to avoid using it for years until my ancient wireless headphones finally crapped out. Then fine, fine, I guess I'll buy some Bluetooth ones.

My computer doesn't have native Bluetooth so I bought a little USB dongle for the purpose. No problem. Paired the headphones with the computer, all hunky dory. For about a week. Then they just stopped pairing with the computer.

The headphones connect to my phone just fine, so there's nothing wrong with the Bluetooth connection on the headphones. I have some Bluetooth video game controllers and those connect to my computer no problem, so the Bluetooth dongle is functioning fine. No, there's a problem specifically between the headphones and the computer. The primary purpose for which I bought these headphones. So I have to use them plugged in.

It sucks. Bluetooth sucks. And I hate it.

There's something up with headphones in particular. The Jabra Elite 85H is a popular noise cancelling headphone that competes with the expensive Bose/Sony stuff but the instructions specifically say that it's not designed to work with computers. It's pretty much just for your phone.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I recently bought a really nice pair of bluetooth headphones that just automatically sync up perfectly to whatever I need it to. It does it so intuitively that it makes me really aware of how fragile this is. I didn't tell it to sync to my phone; it seemed to just figure it out. I didn't tell it to sync to my laptop; it just knew. But it's so easy and intuitive that I worry it's going to start randomly pairing with peoples' devices as they walk by or something.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You don't even need to put it into a pairing mode? That almost feels like a security risk. Even my desktop bluetooth speakers need to enter a pairing mode before it will connect to a new device.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

and the fun part of all of it is that the random easy pairing is a great vector for other attacks than just being annoying.

someone out there hacked a bluetooth buttplug so it would pair with any phone that came near and infect it with malware, and then that phone goes home and hops on your internal network....

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'm so SICK of getting internal viruses from BUTTPLUGS

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Brawnfire posted:

I'm so SICK of getting internal viruses from BUTTPLUGS

ikr

IoT has made virus scanning your sex toys so much more annoying, can't just toss them in the dishwasher anymore

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oh dear someone has hacked my buttplug and set it to "paint shaker". Oh jeez, oh wow. GOSH.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
My bluetooth pet peeve is this pair of cheap grocery store earbuds I bought just to have a pair to run with that I won't mind losing. When the battery's low, the ear buds let you know by pausing the playback, beeping loudly in your ears and a robot voice tells you to charge them. This happens every 60 seconds, more often if one earbud has slightly more charge than the other. So basically the manufacturer reduced the already terrible battery life of their product by making the ear buds unusable for the last 15% of their charge.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bluetooth is poo poo.

Good old fashioned wires are better 90% of the time.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Bluetooth is poo poo.

If only we had somewhere to plug in those wires.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My mother doesn't seem to believe me that 'sometimes cell connections drop out' and thinks I'm faking it

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Indolent Bastard posted:

If only we had somewhere to plug in those wires.

Cellphones getting rid of audio jacks to make sure there's only one plug for data transfer, charging, and audio and thus only one point of failure is probably the dumbest decision anyone has ever made in the history of cellphones.

Wireless is always without exception worse than wired.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It's no biggie, I'll just grab my trusty dongle

Wtf where is it

I definitely used it here last

God loving

How did it get down there?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh dear someone has hacked my buttplug and set it to "paint shaker". Oh jeez, oh wow. GOSH.

That's a feature not a bug.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

FreudianSlippers posted:

Bluetooth is poo poo.

There's a great German saying about this:

"Wer Funk kennt nimmt Kabel"

Those who know wireless choose cables.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

people that dont think in terms of cardinal directions

having to explain to someone like that that you just know that the bus stop is on the other side of the road because thats the one that heads north, to where you need to be, and them not believing you and reading the entire schedule to make sure

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

not being able to tell left from right, north from south etc seems like such a handicap i don't understand how those people do anything. i'd rather be deaf than not have that ability

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The four cardinal directions: North, South, Left, Right

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Some people are so bad with spatial poo poo it really is amazing they've made it to adulthood. Talking people who don't know how to get between work and home without GPS

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Milo and POTUS posted:

Some people are so bad with spatial poo poo it really is amazing they've made it to adulthood. Talking people who don't know how to get between work and home without GPS

I know how to get between work and home without a GPS, but Android Auto alerts me to traffic jams, stalled vehicles, objects in the road, and speed traps. It also will alert me to a faster route in some of these events. I do have the turn by turn directions turned off most of the time, so it really only alerts me to these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

When I was first driving my mom would tell me north is "toward the lake"

As if it's a loving mountain peak

I can't see the goddamn lake from downtown mom