Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

The splatanas are, as far as I can tell, very reliant on getting someone with the charged attack for a kill. The basic baby swipe is more for inking turf.

The problem with it though is that it's basically worse than the other two melees - the octobrush is a much better 'agile melee' weapon, and the roller is better at inking turf and winning point blank 1v1s. They definitely need some sort of love. It might be too early to say which of the two is better, but so far I'm leaning toward the stamper simply because ultra stamp (how does the stamper not have ultra stamp wtf nintendo) is kind of a crap special right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Seems like in the meanwhile mid range poking with them might be another way to take advantage of them. But yeah they seem pretty iffy at the moment.

The stamp really needs fixing. I dunno why they broke the hitboxes, but it turned that special into a kit killer.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Anybody know yet if there are extra rewards for finishing every level and/or finishing every level with every weapon?

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Finishing every level, yes.

Every weapon, no. Don't do it you have so much to live for.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Unhappy Meal posted:

There’s not that many (compared to Splatoon 2) so it doesn’t seem that monumental. Can you trade your extra power eggs for anything?

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Speaking of specials, man the new reefslider special is atrocious. Slow startup, slow stop, small radius, doesn't really ink much ground, doesn't force opponents to move all that much, leaves you vulnerable afterwards, and even the smallest bump blocks it. Funny as all heck to get splats with it though. Is there something I'm missing with using it, or is it just really Not Good?

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

There’s not that many (compared to Splatoon 2) so it doesn’t seem that monumental. Can you trade your extra power eggs for anything?

Yeah, post-game at that concrete pad thing at the base you can trade 999 to a Sheldon drone once a day. I assume you can get more of the locker decorations and maybe other stuff.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 11, 2022

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Meeko posted:

Speaking of specials, man the new reefslider special is atrocious. ...slow stop ...Is there something I'm missing with using it, or is it just really Not Good?

Are you by any chance riding it all the way, instead of detonating it early?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Unhappy Meal posted:

You get literally nothing for 1000%ing. Not even a cosmetic menu change like in OE.

Meeko posted:

Speaking of specials, man the new reefslider special is atrocious. Slow startup, slow stop, small radius, doesn't really ink much ground, doesn't force opponents to move all that much, leaves you vulnerable afterwards, and even the smallest bump blocks it. Funny as all heck to get splats with it though. Is there something I'm missing with using it, or is it just really Not Good?

There are some situations where you can catch people off guard but yeah, it’s not one of the better specials. It’s mildly better than Splashdown at least?

Also on the special front, I got more used to how Trizooka controls and it’s a really nutty special. Can you all believe this thing used to have double the shots available and much stronger hitboxes in 1?

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

unpronounceable posted:

Are you by any chance riding it all the way, instead of detonating it early?

I usually try to go for a early detonate where possible, but it's just so slow. Maybe I just need to get more used to stopping early.

Will give it that it's better than splashdown, at least. They'll make splashdown good! one day!!!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Unhappy Meal posted:

I was considering doing it for every weapon but there have been a few already that were atrociously difficult even on the 'easier' weapon so no thank you.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Meeko posted:

The Reef Slider is a god at flushing out anyone hiding in a corner. I've gotten so many kills seeing someone run into what I know is a dead end and popping the slider to go after them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Relyssa posted:

I was considering doing it for every weapon but there have been a few already that were atrociously difficult even on the 'easier' weapon so no thank you.

Some of the recommended weapons are more “we designed the level around this weapon.” Like for example, that one ride rail level where it recommends the tri stringer? Yeah that weapon is just rear end. Splatling and Rapid Blaster shatter that level.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Heh

The Big Man boss fight is literally this boss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1ogVBvKHX0

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Octohoppers Don't Have a Sense of Humor (and They Hate Puns)!

that is certainly a name for a stage in this game

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Meeko posted:

it's cool as heck

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I like that there is a special that's a Spirit Bomb powered by booyahs

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

big fan of the shuttlecock special. Its great cause once you set it down, youre good to go. Doesnt leave you vulnerable like a lot of other specials

Had to stop using the stamp cause it was getting me killed almost every time

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

btw how do you make your own fake miiverse posts anyway? don’t see the option for that anywhere

Fedule posted:

First map spoilers:

The fakeout was incredible. They went all out, down to the Zapfish hunting, the sole level BGM being a returning track from both prior games, Cuttlefish, and of course a canonically weaksauce reprise of Octavio as the first boss. For a hot minute I was earnestly wondering what the hype was about.

It owns how much they committed to it, they even gave the map for the crater lots of empty space where you’d assumed new levels would be filled in. Going in I was kinda prepared for the single player to be a step down from the Octo Expansion and I did a bit of an eye roll when I got to the city and was met with the usual “Oh no the Zapfish is missing! btw that old guy over there is looking at you funny”, so they got me good with that one

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 11, 2022

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There’s a box that kind of looks like a mail box in the main Avenue that lets you make posts.

Edit: it’s red and has a slot that kinda looks like it’s for mail.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
JFC... just trying to scan in Amiibo to get to get rewards and it's plagued with Communication Errors.

So I'm scanning, getting like 1 of the 3 rewards, communicaiton error, go to the lobby, maybe get another error and start over or maybe connect to the internet, back to the square, walk over to the Amiibo scanning thing, scan again... hope to get all 3 gear pieces.

What an annoyance.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Astro7x posted:

JFC... just trying to scan in Amiibo to get to get rewards and it's plagued with Communication Errors.

So I'm scanning, getting like 1 of the 3 rewards, communicaiton error, go to the lobby, maybe get another error and start over or maybe connect to the internet, back to the square, walk over to the Amiibo scanning thing, scan again... hope to get all 3 gear pieces.

What an annoyance.

What? If you scan an amiibo, they give you everything, don't they? All of mine did.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Takoluka posted:

What? If you scan an amiibo, they give you everything, don't they? All of mine did.

If a communication error interrupts the process it doesn't give you everything, just what gear showed up.

Anyway, for those that are interested in getting the Amiibo gear, you need to first register them in Splatoon 2. Once you do that, they will then give you all the gear pieces when you scan them into Splatoon 3 for the first time. If not, you'll get only 1 or nothing apparently. Was a lot of resetting/scanning.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Unhappy Meal posted:

Yeah, post-game at that concrete pad thing at the base you can trade 999 to a Sheldon drone once a day. I assume you can get more of the locker decorations and maybe other stuff.

The what now? I don’t see a Sheldon drone anywhere, just the usual crew. Where is it exactly?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I scanned my Splatoon 1 Amiibo and can confirm it gave me all the school uniform stuff.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Fedule posted:

The what now? I don’t see a Sheldon drone anywhere, just the usual crew. Where is it exactly?

It'll be parked where the weird chainsaw parts were.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Unhappy Meal posted:

It'll be parked where the weird chainsaw parts were.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

njsykora posted:

I scanned my Splatoon 1 Amiibo and can confirm it gave me all the school uniform stuff.

All the amiibo I had registered to splatoon 2 already gave me all their gear, but the new inkling girl I got a few days ago is on the slow drip of gear release.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
is there anywhere that is compiling a list of how you get various titles and banners?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I posted this in the switch thread. Is it ... mostly strategically sound?

Huxley posted:

I had never played any Splatoon before grabbing 3 this week. For basic Turf War (and I'm only level 9 so it's not like I'm some expert), but a couple of things that I've learned that help:

1. If you have the right kind of bomb, I like to drop one on the spawn right at the start. It covers up a bunch of space, and my R2 is always back up by the time I've shot/swam to the actual fight. That's not a huge cost to save someone 5-10 seconds later in the match.

2. You can hit X when you're dead to see the whole map. From there you can actually teleport to a buddy further up, which can be handy. But even more handy, you can see if there are any large grey chunks you can go attack. I've had several games where halfway through, I've checked and seen giant blocks of grey on a sidepath. I'll bee-line there, cover them up, usually get an ult out of it, and then those zones go uncontested the rest of the way. It feels REALLY good when you do it and then win by 1%-2%.

My general strategy, I guess, is to identify a side chunk that isn't just straight up the middle. Go ink it, then try to ink the same spot on the opposing side. Then when I die, I'll go to whichever side is further from our control and attack it. I figure if everyone else is kill-hunting and trading middle territory the entire game, If I can win the symmetrical sidechunk battle, then it's worth a point or two. And sometimes the opposing team just never contests you seriously.

3. For regular turf war, I'm pretty convinced machine guns and rollers are almost always going to be more useful than the charge weapons. Also for machine-gun type weapons, firing straight seems to be for mobility (shoot, swim, shoot, swim) and divebombing for kills up close. But strafing is for covering ground. Not standing in one spot shooting in an arc, but facing one direction and just shuffling sideways. At least that's how it's felt to a beginner.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

the amount of dread i experienced when i realized what was about to happen in this clip lol

https://twitter.com/slogsdon/status/1569041359268642817

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

susan b buffering posted:

the amount of dread i experienced when i realized what was about to happen in this clip lol

https://twitter.com/slogsdon/status/1569041359268642817

three of these in a row just now

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Meeko posted:

I've gotten a lot of kills out of it, but the slow start is definitely frustrating. Can't count how many times I've gotten sniped while loading it up.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Uh, so with the King, you gotta kill bosses and then just throw eggs at him or via the cannon?

We died, but my team was at a loss, as was I.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Yeesh, It feels like the community just kind of left me behind after Splatoon 2 and I don't know what changed. I'm definitely not a top tier pro player, but in 2 I was at least competent and could contribute and hold in the top 3, but every game in 3 so far has just been a slaughter with the other players flying all over the place and pinpoint aiming me down instantly with any weapons kits and maxed out clothes. It feels like the skill ceiling jumped after I finished 2 and I just never kept up. Fortunately salmon run has been a crazy new addiction.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Uh, so with the King, you gotta kill bosses and then just throw eggs at him or via the cannon?

We died, but my team was at a loss, as was I.

Yes, throw eggs at his via the cannon.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Specifically cannon then? You can't just throw them yourself?

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Meeko posted:

Will give it that it's better than splashdown, at least. They'll make splashdown good! one day!!!

:dafuq:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

100YrsofAttitude posted:

They’re the same thing, the cannon is just the explanation for why the egg throw turns into a powerful attack during the boss wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Ignore the cannon dropped by that one boss salmonid, it has nothing to do with it. Your egg throw gets upgraded to a cannon and you use that to kill the big guy.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

big fan of the shuttlecock special. Its great cause once you set it down, youre good to go. Doesnt leave you vulnerable like a lot of other specials

Had to stop using the stamp cause it was getting me killed almost every time

The trick to the stamp is throwing it via the grenade button the instant you get into any sort of trouble.