Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Russian Bear posted:

Your own expectations set up your disappointment and the guide was total poo poo.

Pretty much. I’ve been riding dirt bike on trails in Colorado for about 8 years and I can imagine not having fun by the end of an all day riding excursion in Thailand even now on my own bike. I probably ate poo poo hard at least 100 times in my first dozen or so times on the trails and my “guides” were my much more experienced danger and speed loving friends so I totally feel your pain. I remember they had me start on some lovely old KTM 450. The first day ever on a dirt bike was wild for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

i'm lol'ing big at the fact that CA has come full circle with "i have a high powered mustang, i can handle a motorcycle" to "i have a high powered e-bicycle i can handle a motorcycle" :masterstroke:

It made my mouth drop open I swear to god

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i want to sympathize with you chocnitty and suppress my lmao's, because that guide (as you framed it) seems lovely, but at the same time you also come across as dangerously naive, especially for someone with no dirtbike experience in a foreign land. it honestly seems insane to me for you to have decided as a complete newb (your bicycle experience doesn't count) to do such a grueling trip for your first time ever in a place where you don't even speak the language. can't speak to the reviews as being misleading because all we have to go on is your word. but i already knew where this was going when you said you've done some mountain biking and rode a road bike for 6 months so of course you can do an all day cross country dirt bike trip.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

ChocNitty posted:

a bad time

Reading this made me think I would have really enjoyed it and makes me wish I'd done a dirt bike day last time I was in Thailand, but I've been riding bikes since I was 5 and am still kind of mediocre off road. I think one of the things that you realize is that switching from a big dirt bike to a mountain bike is an awesome and liberating feeling, but it is much, much harder doing it the other way. Even switching from my xr650r, which is big by dirt bike standards, to my friend's KTM 990 felt like going from a bicycle to a scary speedboat. Motorcycles are heavy and tiring, particularly if you aren't familiar with the movements.

One of the things I talk to clients (when teaching skiing, particularly off piste) and friends (taking them dirt biking) about is the enjoyment vs. difficulty curve. Enjoyment goes up as people are more challenged - to a point. It steeply falls off when people feel afraid and out of control. A good instructor knows how to keep people in the discovery/adventure area, a.k.a flow channel, learning zone, whatever you want to call it. Your guy did not do this. He sounded like a pretty poor instructor all round. It sounds like you showed some good moral fiber, and the tip shows that you are self aware enough to know that it was probably difficult for him too.

I guess your learning points are doing a shorter day on an unfamiliar activity so that you don't get caught off guard. If you didn't feel safe you could have called it sooner, too. Altogether though I feel like you were let down a bit, and he probably shouldn't have lost his temper.

You didn't die, are mostly unscathed, and next time it will be easier.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Yeah, your guide was awful and frankly real dumb that they didn't just take you in circles around some dirt roads rather than wherever you went. I wouldn't have tipped that dude because gently caress him for taking you on what clearly wasn't the beginner track and then leaving you. Whenever you're at a Y, you always wait until the next person sees you before going.

Anyway, I also want to make fun of you for being like "of course I will be excellent at riding" but...

ChocNitty posted:

any of the reviews were people saying they had never been on a dirtbike or even a regular motorcycle before, and had a great 5 star time. Reviewers said they got an hour of training, one said they got 2 hours of training.

This makes me think it's just your guide that was super lovely.

Falling off 12-13 times is normal for dirt if you're learning and as you get more experienced it'll depend on how much you're pushing yourself. Sorry that first experience was bad. Riding dirt bikes is fun and good.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'll add that I've had people tell me MTB's are, like, super physical mannn. But in reality if you take pedalling out of the equation they are like riding a weightless cloud of fellatio compared to even a relatively small dirt bike. And you can jump off and walk whenever you feel like it, even carry the thing over obstacles and poo poo! I feel spoiled every time I jump on my MTB.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Slavvy posted:

I'll add that I've had people tell me MTB's are, like, super physical mannn. But in reality if you take pedalling out of the equation they are like riding a weightless cloud of fellatio compared to even a relatively small dirt bike. And you can jump off and walk whenever you feel like it, even carry the thing over obstacles and poo poo! I feel spoiled every time I jump on my MTB.

I always want to twist the throttle. gently caress pedaling.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Yeah, I grew up racing and riding BMX. Was always comfortable on two wheels. I thought it might help when I got a dirt bike. Not really. You understand some things but it's such a different beast in terms of power, weight etc that comparing the two is very difficult.

Someone who rides dirt bikes can probably jump on a mountain bike and be successful without much prior experience. The other way around, not so much.

Verman fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 30, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Lots of people itt who don’t ride advanced terrain on the mountain bike.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Russian Bear posted:

No, I do ride through the park to the grocery store instead of the short and easy way :smugdog:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

I don't want to die so yeah, true. Didn't say it's not physical, it is just fundamentally less work than hauling 100kg of dirt bike around.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Russian Bear posted:

I ride both and dirt bike poo poo is way more difficult dude. you can get yourself into way worse situations on a dirt bike too which also doesn’t help lol

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I had my first off-road ride ever recently, and two solid hours of it completely exhausted me. I have to think those reviews from total beginners were referring to the 3-hr tour or outright fake. Putting first-time motorcyclists across a bridge as narrow as the bike? Lol that would be insane.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I used to ride a bunch of trails as a teenager on my MTB (no suspension GT Talera, triple triangle gang), and while there were certainly things that stopped me in my tracks and were difficult to the point of impassibility while I was actually riding the bike, the fact that you can just pick it up and walk mostly alleviates the possibility of being truly stuck.

If you've ever dealt with a dirtbike laying on its side in the mud while your hands are shaking from arm pump and you're winded as poo poo, it's a whole other type of problem

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Each has their suck. And then there's the idiots with advs.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

Each has their suck. And then there's the idiots with advs.

:mrgw:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you've ever dealt with a dirtbike laying on its side in the mud while your hands are shaking from arm pump and you're winded as poo poo, it's a whole other type of problem

Totally agree this situation sucks. It’s taken me longer than I care to admit that I’ve finally discovered the solution to this problem.

Go walk somewhere that’s not muddy. Take off your helmet, goggles, gloves, hydration pack and whatever protective body pads you’re wearing. Have a sit. Drink some water.

Then when you’re feeling better go get the bike. Usually you have to pull it over on its side to get the wheels out and then drag it away from wherever it was stuck so you’re not stuck in the same rut.

If you’re riding with other people, they will probably be annoyed at this process. gently caress em, they want the bike out sooner they can get it out. Because if you don’t do this you just end up more winded and more tired and making more mistakes as a result.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

It's better when you drop into a ravine and get to see the step-downs on the way down. When you get to the bottom and start heading straight up the next uphill and get met with more switchback step-ups that are harder than before and you have to decide if you want to gamble on continuing on or head back the way you came. That feeling sucks in the moment but feels good to look back on when you make it back to the staging area.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

rally posted:

I always want to twist the throttle. gently caress pedaling.
They now make bikes for that:
https://sur-ronusa.com/sur-ron-light-bee/
https://ampedbikes.com/products/talaria-sting

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 31, 2022

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

I too have been enjoying this line of commentary.

I also wonder how many people in here are saying "dirtbike" when they mean DRZ400 or XR650 lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No, it is the kids who are wrong

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Slavvy posted:

No, it is the kids who are wrong

fart

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I mean an old rear end KDX

:rip: KDX, you died how you lived, overheating in the UP

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I mean an old rear end KDX

:rip: KDX, you died how you lived, overheating in the UP

This is the fate of every kdx cause they seem to be totally seize resistant otherwise

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

shacked up with Brenda posted:

I too have been enjoying this line of commentary.

I also wonder how many people in here are saying "dirtbike" when they mean DRZ400 or XR650 lol

XR80/500, CR125, CRF250/450. mtb is still way easier than dirt bikes on single track except for the XR80 lol

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
bicycles loving suck

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

500excf type r posted:

bicycles loving suck

imagine if they put a motor in one of them things 👀

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m pretty sure that’s not how that works, but I appreciate the sentiment.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Would someone please post a dumb hot take or a SOB story again tia

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am kissing my mountainbike right this very moment

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I have a full tote of Lycra cycling apparel.

I once thought about wearing cycling bibs under my dirt bike pants.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Verman posted:

I once thought about wearing cycling bibs under my dirt bike pants.

I have done this and it just gave me monkey butt. Granted it was for an enduro that was about 6h.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I made a lovely mount for a trail tech speedo and put bar risers on so my brake line rubs the gently caress up on it and I just d o n o t c a r e =\

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Oh and it's converted to supermoto to run at thunderhill next weekend lol husqvarnas

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

East or west?

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

The ol' high speed east. I've never done west

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Thanks for the feedback goons. Im glad to know it’s normal to crash that much when you ride for the first time.

Shelvocke posted:

Reading this made me think I would have really enjoyed it and makes me wish I'd done a dirt bike day last time I was in Thailand, but I've been riding bikes since I was 5 and am still kind of mediocre off road. I think one of the things that you realize is that switching from a big dirt bike to a mountain bike is an awesome and liberating feeling, but it is much, much harder doing it the other way. Even switching from my xr650r, which is big by dirt bike standards, to my friend's KTM 990 felt like going from a bicycle to a scary speedboat. Motorcycles are heavy and tiring, particularly if you aren't familiar with the movements.

One of the things I talk to clients (when teaching skiing, particularly off piste) and friends (taking them dirt biking) about is the enjoyment vs. difficulty curve. Enjoyment goes up as people are more challenged - to a point. It steeply falls off when people feel afraid and out of control. A good instructor knows how to keep people in the discovery/adventure area, a.k.a flow channel, learning zone, whatever you want to call it. Your guy did not do this. He sounded like a pretty poor instructor all round. It sounds like you showed some good moral fiber, and the tip shows that you are self aware enough to know that it was probably difficult for him too.

I guess your learning points are doing a shorter day on an unfamiliar activity so that you don't get caught off guard. If you didn't feel safe you could have called it sooner, too. Altogether though I feel like you were let down a bit, and he probably shouldn't have lost his temper.

You didn't die, are mostly unscathed, and next time it will be easier.

Thanks. That’s the kind of guide I needed. I probably should have quit sooner for my own safety. When I was struggling to get the shifting down, before we left they offered to switch me to the 3 hour ATV tour that was leaving at the same time, but I declined because i’m such a frugal bastard. It was the most expensive activity I did in Thailand and I wanted what I paid for, and I knew i’d get the shifting down. But after my tour was over I saw a family coming back from their ATV tour, and they looked like they got in over their heads too. They were sweaty and looked defeated and were limping to the showers.

The course was amazing though. It was like a greatest hits compilation of different biomes and terrain. It was a shame I was too focused on not crashing to enjoy the gorgeous scenery that most tourists don’t get to see. But the tour company didn’t have any videos. The only customer made video I found on youtube was a guy who hit one of those ridges in the path and ate poo poo like I did, except he was going much faster.

Considering that I was the only customer on a sunday in august, the company must be struggling financially. Maybe covid drove away their competent tour guides that spoke good english and so they had to hire an inexperienced guide with very limited english. But even if I had a long training session and a good instructor, that course was like putting a first time skiier on a black diamond run. And I didn’t expect to be any better than the other first time riders. I just expected to have a good experience like they claimed they did.

But I believe life is about having new experiences, and that means good and bad experiences. It means getting out of your comfort zone and being in challenging situations. I wouldn’t take it back. It was insightful how physically demanding dirtbiking is. I thought the bike does all the work but all my muscles were aching after. I can see the appeal in getting a great full body workout doing something thrilling.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

proud of you for not choosing a quad lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

right arm posted:

proud of you for not choosing a quad lol

honestly it sounds like they offered him an alternative that was suitable to his disposition

r word chariots have a place too