Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe people exiting the parking areas are distracted trying to figure out which way to go instead of paying attention to traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

lobster shirt posted:

as someone who drives downtown on a fairly regular basis i think that houstonians are too stupid to handle one way streets
Correct.

withak posted:

Maybe people exiting the parking areas are distracted trying to figure out which way to go instead of paying attention to traffic.
Looking at it again, I'm guessing that those parking buildings have a ton of cars all exit around the same time. Big parking lots or parking buildings disgorging a ton of cars in a small amount of time is always a big cause of car crashes. Parking lots at stadiums or some big office buildings will regularly have traffic cops to prevent impatient drivers from crashing. This intersection is 2 stroads (worst intersection for crashes) + multiple parking structures. It's designed for crashing cars.

I went through the list and looked at the intersections. Unsurprisingly they are all busy intersections with a stroad. It's either a stroad and road intersection or an intersection between 2 stroads. The only one I couldn't puzzle out is #2 Bissonnet Street and Westchester Avenue. Bissonet is a stroad, but it's not a big intersection. There are 2 churches near the intersection, so maybe the crashes are happening after Sunday service?

Top 10 Houston intersections with the most crashes for March 2021 through Feb. 2022
  1. Pease Street and Fannin Street (59 crashes) stroad intersection surrounded by parking lots and multistory parking
  2. Bissonnet Street and Westchester Avenue (41 crashes) stroad and nothing big? maybe the 2 churches
  3. Main Street and Montrose Boulevard (Mecom Fountain Roundabout) (39 crashes) weird lovely designed roundabout on stroad
  4. FM 1960 and W. Lake Houston Parkway (39 crashes) 2 stroads intersect
  5. S. Gessner Road and Westpark Drive (39 crashes) stroad and road intersection near 2 highways
  6. Spencer Road and Highway 6 (37 crashes) 2 stroad intersection
  7. Highway 6 and Bellaire Boulevard (37 crashes) 2 stroad intersection
  8. Treaschwig Road and FM 1960 (36 crashes) stroad and road intersection
  9. Clay Road and Barker Cypress Road (36 crashes) stroad and road intersection near golf country club
  10. Highway 6 and Westheimer Road (36 crashes) 2 stroad intersection

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2022/03/14/see-it-the-deadliest-intersections-in-the-united-states/

street view of #1 lol holy hell

https://www.google.com/maps/place/N...5!4d-74.7528561

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Florida and New Jersey, wtf is wrong with you

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

US 1 & 9 in New Jersey are insanely dangerous and I'm not surprised that 5 of their intersections made the list. both car accidents I've had were in NJ, the worst one occurring on US-1 in Metuchen. (rear ended)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/stfu_anajai2/status/1568363957261422593?s=46&t=UzOHLDOeXreXRoci6Hm4Xw

mystes
May 31, 2006

You can tell it's Scotland and not the us because it's far too much of a safe, relaxing ride

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

teaching the kid the moves they will use to get out of the way of cars later in life, good parenting

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Pryor on Fire posted:

I met and chatted up a florist today and asked her about the business, she said that after birthdays most of the flowers are for motorcycle accidents. I thought she was loving with me at first but nope, she said they send tons of flowers to hospitals and funeral homes for motorcycle crash victims, it's a steady stream all day every day. A couple hours later I watched a Prius slam into a dude on a Harley. I literally screamed out "are you loving making GBS threads me!?!" it was some real lmao poo poo.

there’s a reason why my medical friends call them donor cycles

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

eXXon posted:

I saw a big lifted pickup carrying a single bike but it wouldn't fit in the bed so the front wheel was hanging over the tailgate. lol. lmao.

This is how you pack a bunch of bikes in the back so you can drive your buddies to the top of a hill and ride down without having to pedal too much

In popular riding areas there are companies that you can pay to do this for you

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Do you have to walk back to the truck after?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Suplex Liberace posted:

Do you have to walk back to the truck after?

You put the truck in neutral and let it roll down by itself

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

lobster shirt posted:

is this more or less efficient than a hybrid car i wonder

in theory the generator can run at the optimally efficient rpm constantly, you see this in diesel-electric hybrids for heavy equipment

I think the power demands of a personal automobile are too different to work though

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Hybrid cars like the Prius are just a generator and a battery, that's the hybrid

mystes
May 31, 2006

500excf type r posted:

Hybrid cars like the Prius are just a generator and a battery, that's the hybrid
I don't think there's any generator in a prius? It's a parallel hybrid so it has both a gas engine and an electric motor, but I don't think there's a "generator" that directly converts gas into electricity

mystes has issued a correction as of 01:11 on Sep 12, 2022

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mystes posted:

I don't think there's any generator in a prius? It's a parallel hybrid so it has both a gas engine and an electric motor, but I don't think there's a "generator" that directly converts gas into electricity

theres nothing on this earth that directly converts gas into electricity

mystes
May 31, 2006

yeah okay i don't know, what even is a generator

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mystes posted:

not sure

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

mystes posted:

Magnets

mystes
May 31, 2006

but magnets are just spinny electrons

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

500excf type r posted:

the gas engine still provides power directly to the wheels in most hybrids. plug-in hybrids may be different

mystes
May 31, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

the gas engine still provides power directly to the wheels in most hybrids. plug-in hybrids may be different
phevs can work either way but either way they are cars and suck

mystes has issued a correction as of 01:45 on Sep 12, 2022

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mystes posted:

in some situations the engine runs to charge the battery without moving the car but it's not the same as a true diesel-electric hybrid where the power comes from electric motors that are charged by diesel genny's

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Diesel electric hybrids are used on mega vehicles that need huge amounts of torque mostly, aren't they?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Diesel electric hybrids are used on mega vehicles that need huge amounts of torque mostly, aren't they?

ya like excavators and big bulldoezrs and stuff.

e: to be clear i know very little about infernal combustion engines in general, but the "run an engine at optimal rpm to power a generator" seemed feasible

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Clark Nova posted:

The gas engines only drive the wheels on a Prius (as far as I know) at higher speeds and the faster it goes the more inefficient it becomes. There's also regenerative braking I think

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

500excf type r posted:

The gas engines only drive the wheels on a Prius (as far as I know) at higher speeds and the faster it goes the more inefficient it becomes. There's also regenerative braking I think

it's insanely complex:

quote:

The HSD operates in distinct phases depending on speed and demanded torque. Here are a few of them:

Battery charging: The HSD can charge its battery without moving the car, by running the engine and extracting electrical power from MG1. The power gets shunted into the battery, and no torque is supplied to the wheels. The onboard computer does this when required, for example when stopped in traffic or to warm up the engine and catalytic converter after a cold start.

Engine start: To start the engine, power is applied to MG1 to act as a starter. Because of the size of the motor generators, starting the engine is relatively fast and requires relatively little power from MG1. Additionally, the conventional starter motor sound is not heard. Engine start can occur while stopped or moving.

Reverse gear (equivalent): There is no reverse gear as in a conventional gearbox: the computer reverses the phase sequence to AC motor-generator MG2, applying negative torque to the wheels. Early models did not supply enough torque for some situations: there have been reports of early Prius owners not being able to back the car up steep hills in San Francisco. The problem has been fixed in recent models. If the battery is low, the system can simultaneously run the engine and draw power from MG1, although this will reduce available reverse torque at the wheels.

Neutral gear (equivalent): Most jurisdictions require automotive transmissions to have a neutral gear that decouples the engine and transmission. The HSD "neutral gear" is achieved by turning the electric motors off. Under this condition, the planetary gear is stationary (if the vehicle wheels are not turning); if the vehicle wheels are turning, the ring gear will rotate, causing the sun gear to rotate as well (the engine inertia will keep the carrier gear stationary unless the speed is high), while MG1 is free to rotate while the batteries do not charge. The owners manual[24] warns that Neutral gear will eventually drain the battery, resulting in "unnecessary" engine power to recharge batteries; a discharged battery will render the vehicle inoperable.

Lexus Hybrid Drive EV operation: At slow speeds and moderate torques the HSD can operate without running the internal combustion engine at all: electricity is supplied only to MG2, allowing MG1 to rotate freely (and thus decoupling the engine from the wheels). This is popularly known as "Stealth Mode". Provided that there is enough battery power, the car can be driven in this silent mode for some miles even without gasoline.

Low gear (equivalent): When accelerating at low speeds in normal operation, the engine turns more rapidly than the wheels but does not develop sufficient torque. The extra engine speed is fed to MG1 acting as a generator. The output of MG1 is fed to MG2, acting as a motor and adding torque at the driveshaft.

High gear (equivalent): When cruising at high speed, the engine turns more slowly than the wheels but develops more torque than needed. MG2 then runs as a generator to remove the excess engine torque, producing power that is fed to MG1 acting as a motor to increase the wheel speed. In steady state, the engine provides all of the power to propel the car unless the engine is unable to supply it (as during heavy acceleration, or driving up a steep incline at high speed). In this case, the battery supplies the difference. Whenever the required propulsion power changes, the battery quickly balances the power budget, allowing the engine to change power relatively slowly.

Regenerative braking: By drawing power from MG2 and depositing it into the battery pack, the HSD can simulate the deceleration of normal engine braking while saving the power for future boost. The regenerative brakes in an HSD system absorb a significant amount of the normal braking load, so the conventional brakes on HSD vehicles are undersized compared to brakes on a conventional car of similar mass and last significantly longer.

Engine braking: The HSD system has a special transmission setting labelled 'B' (for Brake), that takes the place of a conventional automatic transmission's 'L' setting, providing engine braking on hills. This can be manually selected in place of regenerative braking. During braking, when the battery is approaching potentially damaging high charge levels, the electronic control system automatically switches to conventional engine braking, drawing power from MG2 and shunting it to MG1, speeding the engine with throttle closed to absorb energy and decelerate the vehicle.

Electric boost: The battery pack provides a reservoir of energy that allows the computer to match the demand on the engine to a predetermined optimal load curve, rather than operating at the torque and speed demanded by the driver and road. The computer manages the energy level stored in the battery, so as to have capacity to absorb extra energy where needed or supply extra energy to boost engine power.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Actually so here's something fun about engines that I've learned recently:

Back in the late 1800s early 1900s all the farmers and woodlot owners had steam powered saw mills and caused wildfires all the time. The early combustion hit and miss engines actually put an end to it by providing a "safer" energy source.

A coincidentally I took this video earlier today

https://i.imgur.com/7ngj2WG.mp4

500excf type r has issued a correction as of 03:37 on Sep 12, 2022

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
FREAK. ACCIDENT.
https://twitter.com/greenfieldjohn/status/1568951625904947201?t=9Qq_9dTprrzhqRRCOPE3Yw&s=19

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the screenshots don't make it entirely clear but it appears to be a relative of the victim blaming it on bike lanes :psyduck:

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Clark Nova posted:

the screenshots don't make it entirely clear but it appears to be a relative of the victim blaming it on bike lanes :psyduck:
That's exactly what is happening.

Also this is a big New York sidewalk, not a 3 foot Houston sidewalk that's only a slightly extended curb. loving "jumped the curb" bullshit. Driver throttled past parking lane, bike lane, then up onto the 20 foot sidewalk and impaled that granny on the fence.

Deadly Ham Sandwich has issued a correction as of 05:12 on Sep 12, 2022

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Themightyhutch/status/1568934508178690048?s=20&t=bWb0xZ72HenwuR1ldYeH1Q

Something tells me they're not also towing cars parked there.

https://twitter.com/LakersCanes305/status/1569062387860267010?s=20&t=tQ5HcXjHms1yZV9_gZLsHA

Comrade grill.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

this is a friend

https://twitter.com/ZakPatterson/status/1568409018929922048

fucks cars, find the driver and incinerate him

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

hey guy with the miata, come back in this thread and defend that car you shrivel-dicked divorced driver-rear end piece of poo poo

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

was thinking about how bad cars were today

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

hey guy with the miata, come back in this thread and defend that car you shrivel-dicked divorced driver-rear end piece of poo poo

drat he didn't even come back lol

what a fucken loser

mystes
May 31, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

Imagine being so car brained that your relative is killed by a driver with 168 violations and you are like "oh sorry mr. car, it must have been the bike lane"

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

dude tried to roll coal through the thread but forgot he was driving a miata

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

soembody bought him a custom av of mr van houten and the miata lol, whoever did that.... thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

when i think about cars, i think: they are pieces of poo poo