Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

mcmagic posted:

-twitter video-
The Jets are such loving losers that they are even redefining down "moral victories" from playing well and losing a close game at the buzzer on a late kick or something to playing well for like 32 mins of game time in a game that was 24-3 going into garbage time.

'they pointed to their 6 yards per carry average in the first half' then why the gently caress didn't they run more often? The one time in a loving decade that running the ball and playing good defense looked like it might bear fruit, the ball was always in Joe's hands on 3rd and short. 59 god drat passing attempts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

I hope McDaniel is good but even if he isn’t, he seems like a pretty cool guy.

I want my head coach to prop my mediocre QB up not tear him down like Flores certainly would have done after this game.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

the patriots will struggle to win 6 games this season.

I really hope they move on from Mac - he's a high floor low ceiling guy whose floor might be lower than previously thought.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Fate Accomplice posted:

the patriots will struggle to win 6 games this season.

I really hope they move on from Mac - he's a high floor low ceiling guy whose floor might be lower than previously thought.

Everything will be worthwhile if the season makes Kraft go “Bill, hire actual coordinators. I’ll even give you a bump in the coaching budget so you won’t need to take a haircut. Just hire real coordinators.”

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SpitztheGreat posted:

I honestly have to ask the question: Is Saleh (and his staff) really that much better than Gase? After 18 games they look absolutely lost and this team has no identity.

quote:

Coach Games Wins Losses Percent

Gase 32 9 23 .281
Saleh 18 4 14 .222

Kotite's the only one in Jets history who's done worse (32 games, 4-28, .125)

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Everything will be worthwhile if the season makes Kraft go “Bill, hire actual coordinators. I’ll even give you a bump in the coaching budget so you won’t need to take a haircut. Just hire real coordinators.”

"Bill, you can't handle the draft anymore."

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

When have the Jets ever done something to not make their fans miserable?

It has been bad for a long time, but it really feels like we're reaching new lows...and that doesn't seem like it should be possible. It isn't just the losing, it's the duration of the incompetence. We aren't competitive, we aren't interesting, and there's no light at the end of the tunnel.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

Kotite's the only one in Jets history who's done worse (32 games, 4-28, .125)

I'm cautious not to put too much stock in any single stat, but man that's a damning stat.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I think the Pats are going to beat most the teams that they can run on. The Dolphins defensive front is really really good.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Fate Accomplice posted:

"Bill, you can't handle the draft anymore."

Well that would require getting him to hire a real GM too and that’s likely the one thing that would truly make him go “No, if you have a problem fire me then.”

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

SpitztheGreat posted:

I honestly have to ask the question: Is Saleh (and his staff) really that much better than Gase? After 18 games they look absolutely lost and this team has no identity.

I don't think they're any better than Gase's crew, save for a lack of embarrassing press conferences. I thought Saleh should be one and done but everyone else believes you gotta give guys 2 years if they haven't done something newsworthy, no matter how obviously bad they are at their job. Wish I got that kind of benefit of the doubt!

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

sirtommygunn posted:

I don't think they're any better than Gase's crew, save for a lack of embarrassing press conferences. I thought Saleh should be one and done but everyone else believes you gotta give guys 2 years if they haven't done something newsworthy, no matter how obviously bad they are at their job. Wish I got that kind of benefit of the doubt!

I was ok giving him a second year, but my feeling was that his seat was already hot and that's rarely a good thing. Among the things I wanted to see were 1) avoid any blowouts; 2) compete for all 60 minutes; 3) Look prepared. Those were three of the most basic things I wanted to see, and we couldn't even make it to week 2.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

TheBizzness posted:

I want my head coach to prop my mediocre QB up not tear him down like Flores certainly would have done after this game.

same, don't want to overreact to week 1 (esp following a win) but the entire locker room vibe seems better than it's been for a few regimes

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
If your going to hire a defensive coach, at least hire someone from a defense first team. Plus if your going to get a first time head coach who was a DC previously, at least get a known quantity for OC. Getting a first time OC because his brother is good is in hindsight a horrible move.

Saleh's defenses weren't that impressive until the unit was loaded with Talent

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Gase won 7 games in his first season. Saleh will likely never do that. Lol

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Gase won 7 games in his first season. Saleh will likely never do that. Lol

It's going to be another season where the Jets hold on to a dead coach walking.

I miss Joe Benigno right now.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Im not going to give up on the season after 1 week. It’s a long year.

But man, the way they used Garrett Wilson today upsets me. And then Saleh had the nerve to get up there and criticize him for not lowering his shoulder on a play where he caused 4 missed tackles. He was one of the only players providing any kind of spark on offense and he needed (and needs) to be on the field.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Professor Funk posted:

Im not going to give up on the season after 1 week. It’s a long year.

But man, the way they used Garrett Wilson today upsets me. And then Saleh had the nerve to get up there and criticize him for not lowering his shoulder on a play where he caused 4 missed tackles. He was one of the only players providing any kind of spark on offense and he needed (and needs) to be on the field.

I'll say this, we're set up perfect for Wilson to come back and make a difference. If Wilson is The Guy he'll make an immediate impact when he comes back, even if he's only 90%. He may not be Tom Brady right off the back, but there shouldn't be any question that we're better off with him.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

TheBizzness posted:

But is he a Leader of Men???

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Will these coordinators also make Belichick draft better and not make a bunch of boneheaded free agent moves?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
There's only a handful of head coaches in the NFL that I think actually make their teams better. Coaches that are real difference makers. Most of them, the best you can say is they don't make things worse. The disadvantages from Bill's extremely poor drafting, bad free agency bets, strange personnel management and nepotism/cronyism with coaching hires is very quickly going to land him in that second group despite his technical prowess at actual coaching.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
It would probably help to assign coaching staff roles by taking a cue from something other than a redneck or royal family. It's nice to have cousins and uncles and brothers and fathers but you usually want that to be more than 2 guys

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Imagine a coach saying Garrett Wilson didn't do enough on this play.
https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1569019194330742784

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Imagine a coach saying Garrett Wilson didn't do enough on this play.
https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1569019194330742784

Have you guys officially soured on Saleh?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Ehud posted:

We are not a collective. I'm sure some have. I like Saleh personally and I'm not going to rush to judge him in a game I assumed we would lose while playing a backup QB, but I can still point out when he's being loving stupid, as he is here.

e: The box score of this game is weird. Other than 3rd down conversion, the Jets win in yardage, plays, TOP, first downs, etc... but they got smoked on 3 chunk plays that shouldn't have happened. The QB and OL were trash. Everyone else played kinda well.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 12, 2022

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Not really mad about the game result, it went about as I expected, I just want to know why the hell Kendrick Bourne the new Malcom Butler.

Even without Watt this Steelers D is gonna feast next weekend.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Diva Cupcake posted:

We are not a collective.

sorry, that's not how this works

I'm going to hold mcmagic's posts against you all season long

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Saleh's Jets teams have done literally nothing on the field in the time he's been here to make anyone think he's a good coach.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 12, 2022

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Ehud posted:

It's way too early in the year to sour on him or call for his head or anything like that. It's a long season. But the honeymoon with the fans is 100% over, as it should be. I think there were some genuine positives from this game, but at the end of the day it's a similar script as a lot of losses from last year. The defense beat the poo poo out of the Ravens in the first half but eventually lost steam because the offense did nothing to take advantage.

If the Jets lost that game 24-17 and competed until the middle of the 4th quarter and lost because Lamar is Lamar no one would be that upset.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The rookie 4th rounder actually held up better against Calais Campbell than Fant. The left side got destroyed.
https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/1569316217076486149

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Yeah I didn't really notice Mitchell much during the game, which is definitely a positive. Hopefully Fant will play better once he's not getting ping-ponged between the tackle spots.

The most concerning performance was Tomlinson's, easily. Seemed like was getting put on skates every snap in pass pro.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
You guys are harsh on Bill. He squeezed 10 wins out of last years trash roster (which he assembled lol).

I feel like you guys should have gone full tear down after Brady left instead of trying to compete. Could have cleared out all the bad contracts, drafted a few studs and be on the upswing by now. Instead you went 7-9 and 10-7 and have nothing for the future and still need to tear it down.

I wonder if Bill quits or gets fired and goes to another team and wins them a super bowl? What team is loaded with talent but just can't seem to put it together? GB, Dallas, Ari, Cleveland round 2 electric boogaloo?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

Yeah I didn't really notice Mitchell much during the game, which is definitely a positive. Hopefully Fant will play better once he's not getting ping-ponged between the tackle spots.

The most concerning performance was Tomlinson's, easily. Seemed like was getting put on skates every snap in pass pro.

No NFL teams have 5 great OL in 2022. QBs are under pressure all over the league and you have to be able to make plays under pressure. Enter the Jets who think they can start a 97 year old QB who can't move AT ALL and think they have any chance of winning games. Just complete and utter incompetence from the GM who double and triple downed on Flacco to the coaching staff who didnt even think of starting White and Streveler over him and didn't even think of pulling him when it was clear that they had no chance of scoring points at all yesterday. They CHOSE to start a QB who needs perfect protection to be successful at all when NO QBs IN THE NFL get loving perfect protection. They are all incompetents and unserious people who have ZERO idea how to actually win in this league.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 12, 2022

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/MiamiDolphins/status/1569303383948795905

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

th3t00t posted:

You guys are harsh on Bill. He squeezed 10 wins out of last years trash roster (which he assembled lol).

I feel like you guys should have gone full tear down after Brady left instead of trying to compete. Could have cleared out all the bad contracts, drafted a few studs and be on the upswing by now. Instead you went 7-9 and 10-7 and have nothing for the future and still need to tear it down.

I wonder if Bill quits or gets fired and goes to another team and wins them a super bowl? What team is loaded with talent but just can't seem to put it together? GB, Dallas, Ari, Cleveland round 2 electric boogaloo?

Bill sucks rear end as a GM. I also don’t think the Pats have aced a draft since like 2012.

Also I think he’s an average QB but trading Garoppolo without a backup successor was inexcusable.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bellmaker posted:

Bill sucks rear end as a GM. I also don’t think the Pats have aced a draft since like 2012.

Also I think he’s an average QB but trading Garoppolo without a backup successor was inexcusable.

They traded Jimmy G in 2017 and got 3 great years out of Brady after that, then ended up with Mac, who looks better then Jimmy even with all his faults, so what's the problem there?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I'm still waiting until Halloween or so to bury Belichick. They sounded quasi competitive against a proper NFL team he has a history of treating the month of September like an extended preseason.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Bellmaker posted:

He sacrificed the future in order to go all in from 2014-2018, winning 3 superbowls and making a 4th appearance. Not bad for a 5 year stretch. That future he sacrificed is now.

I'd sacrifice a lot for just 1 super bowl win.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

fsif posted:

I'm still waiting until Halloween or so to bury Belichick. They sounded quasi competitive against a proper NFL team he has a history of treating the month of September like an extended preseason.

They weren't though. The Dolphins did not play well, or do anything particularly exotic, and the Patriots couldn't really put them under pressure in any phase of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

th3t00t posted:

He sacrificed the future in order to go all in from 2014-2018, winning 3 superbowls and making a 4th appearance. Not bad for a 5 year stretch. That future he sacrificed is now.

I'd sacrifice a lot for just 1 super bowl win.

Yeah this is his bullshit rear end covering excuse. The truth for the current woes isnt “we sold out for a few years” it’s this: