Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

Pack stunk today, seems like they can never fight back when things don't go right, oh well it's funny when Aaron pouts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

drat right it is.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

oshuaj posted:

Pack stunk today, seems like they can never fight back when things don't go right, oh well it's funny when Aaron pouts

Yup, yup, and yup.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
It isn't that "they can't fight back when down". It's that their quarterback is a whiny bitch who won't throw to a receiver after they drop the ball once and forces poo poo that isn't there.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

tinstaach posted:

I went to go look this guy's stat line up since Packers posters keep talking about him, and he's literally not even listed on NFL.com's recap. What an awful, awful site.

Anyway he sucks, Justin Jefferson sucks, Adam Thielen sucks, *goes to Chicago's PFR page* uhhhh Dante Pettis sucks, all will kneel before the Sun God:
https://twitter.com/JeffKerrCBS/status/1569096070097178624

ALL GLORY TO THE SUN GOD AND HIS ANCIENT FOOTBALL POWERS

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

BGrifter posted:

Been a tough week for guys who look like this

I need to take this for a tweet, it's too perfect

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Now overlay the score from Titanic

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

To my eyes it looked like they were playing exclusively zone for the entire game and Jefferson was moving all over the field attacking gaps in the coverage. I think that's on the safeties, especially Savage. Dunno why the Packers aren't playing man coverage when we have the best lockdown corner in the league.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Yeah and when Jaire had assignments with Jefferson 1 on 1 he was glued. Pretty sure the exact same thing happened two years ago? Also, the amount of pre-snap poo poo the Vikings did today was absolutely not something Barry planned for particularly the first 15 plays.

https://twitter.com/mattschneidman/status/1569119801192157185

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Oh well, at least Fat Mike and the Cowboys lost. :unsmith:

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
People will still be Packers / Bears posting when the Vikings / Lions are in the playoffs.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

^burtle posted:

Lions looked about as good as they could, MCDC has to take the blame for that boneheaded onside in the 3rd.

This and that loving timeout that let them extend their drive. That was just dumb poo poo.

On a side note, the Chicago game videos reach some part of childhood I didn't know I still had left.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Oh well, at least Fat Mike and the Cowboys lost. :unsmith:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I was wrong. The Bears are back.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Looking forward to 0-17

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

I was wrong. The Bears are back.

:hmmyes:

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Looking forward to 0-17

You suck.

Happy for the Bears and Vikings. gently caress the Packers.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i admit i was wrong about eberflus, it turns out that speaking in nothing but the corniest loving acronyms imaginable somehow makes eddie jackson good again.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Fields also looks good despite just a turd of a supporting cast. The defense was surprising and I don't think it was weather related. Their front 4 was blowing up the Niners all game.

Mack having 3 sacks for the Chargers did hurt though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

Fields also looks good despite just a turd of a supporting cast. The defense was surprising and I don't think it was weather related. Their front 4 was blowing up the Niners all game.

Mack having 3 sacks for the Chargers did hurt though.

Mack when healthy is great, he had these games for the Bears, I hope he stays healthy because I love that dude.

R.D. Mangles posted:

i admit i was wrong about eberflus, it turns out that speaking in nothing but the corniest loving acronyms imaginable somehow makes eddie jackson good again.

Just don't put eddie jackson in a position where he has to make a tackle against deebo samuel again lol

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Good Will Hrunting posted:

It isn't that "they can't fight back when down". It's that their quarterback is a whiny bitch who won't throw to a receiver after they drop the ball once and forces poo poo that isn't there.

Which packer fan here is saying that he will or that this is not his normal behavior

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

PS congrats the Bears

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Looking forward to 0-17

Unfortunately I think the Packers will probably pick up at least a couple games, but it's nice to dream.

Cocaine is Abel
Nov 12, 2021
All the nfc north teams had a good day except the packers, an ideal outcome

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Cocaine is Abel posted:

All the nfc north teams had a good day except the packers, an ideal outcome

:yeah:

Like, the Packers have had slow starts before. And I fully expect the Bears to explode next week against them, because the Bears usually can't have nice things two weeks in a row and also it's at Lambeau.

But the way the sideline reporter talked about what LaFleur said at halftime was... a lot for week 1. Idk. Something to keep an eye on.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

both St. Brown brothers scored TDs today

They both happened within like a minute of each other

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

I was feeling all smug about putting Thielen in my fantasy lineup because I figured the Packers would be smart enough to put Jaire on Jefferson for the whole game.

Whatever we were doing out there was the dumbest possible defense we could have played. There were no coverage sacks, every receiver had wide open spaces, at one point we had Preston loving Smith covering Jefferson.

It's a bad loving day in Green Bay when the special teams unit was the least terrible of the lot.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/robertkschmitz/status/1569169221451681795

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Bears simply need to be coached by a mild-mannered boringly competent dude who magically makes the defense generate turnovers and has no bearing on what happens on offense

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Some more Lions thoughts:

DeAndre Swift is good. Really, really good. He can't carry the offense by himself, but he's a major threat that teams absolutely can't ignore. Even if you take away his 50 yard run, Swift averaged over 6 yards per carry on 14 runs, and over 10 yards per reception in the passing game. The man is good. But...

Jared Goff needs to throw the ball deep for this offense to work. I looked over every pass attempt in the play-by-play, and Goff overwhelmingly threw short for little effect. At one point in the 2nd quarter, Goff had thrown 10 passes, all short, for 3 receptions, 7 total yards, and 1 interception. But once he began throwing deep, the offense immediately began moving again—a deep pass to Reynolds went for 28 yards, was followed by a deep incompletion, and then a Swift run for 13, and a pass to Amon-Ra for another 13 to take them into the red zone, resulting a few plays later in a touchdown.

We saw this last year in the first half of the season. Goff barely threw deep, and despite the best attempts by Swift and the grab-bag of receivers we had at the time, there was no way to succeed with an offense where the average pass attempt went for less than five yards. But later in the season, once Goff actually started throwing downfield, defenses were spread out enough that players like Swift and Amon-Ra could make the most of their ability to weave through scattered defenders.

I don't know if the issue this game was more with the playcalling or with Goff, but the simple fact is that if the Lions want to win games this season, Goff needs to throw the ball deep early and often. Frankly speaking, it doesn't even matter if he's particularly accurate—all that matters is that there's a credible threat of going deep. If he can do that, then defenses will be less able to defend against runs by Swift, and the offense will be able to move the ball much more effectively down the field. This is also important because...

The defense is deeply flawed. This isn't exactly news to anyone who's been following the team—while the additions to the defensive line raised everyone's hopes that the defense might be marginally competent this year, the deep questions at linebacker and in the secondary remained. I mean, for god's sake, Will Harris is still on the field, this defense was always going to have problems, especially against mobile quarterbacks like Hurts. That said, they weren't a complete trashfire today, and did show up in some big moments. It's also worth noting that the offense did them few favors in this game—the offense went for three consecutive 3 and outs in the first half, taking a grand total of three minutes off the clock and wasting two defensive stops. With a performance like that, it's no wonder the defense quickly became gassed. If the offense had been able to score on even one of those possessions (Or if Goff hadn't thrown a pick six), the game could have gone in a completely different direction.

Dan Campbell is still aggressive. Last year, Campbell set a record for going for it on fourth down. This was partly out of necessity given the desperate situations the team often found itself in, and some wondered if Campbell would ease off on the aggressiveness this season. Well, the evidence so far suggests he's still as game as ever: Campbell went for it on 4th and goal to score a TD near the end of the 1st half, and then kicked onside in the 3rd quarter. Not all his decisions panned out—the onside kick attempt failed, and his use of a timeout near the end of the 1st half ended up giving the Eagles more time to score a field goal that ultimately gave them the margin of victory.

It is worth noting something important: Last year, the Lions faced these same Philadelphia Eagles and got absolutely crushed. I mean truly and completely slaughtered. It got so bad that David Blough was taking snaps at the end of the game (who somehow managed to fumble in that short amount of time). This year, the Lions still lost, but they were much better in every aspect of the game. Goff played better, Swift dominated the field, even the defense managed some highlights. The middle of the game was mostly a cavalcade of fuckups, but they were still able to put enough plays together to be in the game at the very end. If the rookies can develop, if Goff can manage to throw deep, and if some other issues can be ironed out, then the Lions can be a competitive football team. But if they can't do these things... then oh boy, it'll be another very long season.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Looking forward to 'Angry Rodgers' next week with the Bears

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Dexo posted:

Just don't put eddie jackson in a position where he has to make a tackle against deebo samuel again lol
That was such a 'gently caress that noise, I'm making a business decision here' move.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'd be more impressed if he noticed this during the game and adjusted appropriately rather than just go "oooopsy" afterwards

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Maybe if Aaron Rodgers had spent less time doing the podcast circuit these past weeks he would have been more prepared

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's partially on Rodgers, but it's mostly on the defense that apparently has been subsumed by the ghost of Dom loving Capers here, with how they're sticking with whatever ridiculous zone scheme with Jaire et al. rather than just go man.
Hell they ASKED LaFleur about this and his answer was "Oh you don't want to go man on man almost the time or they'll pick it up".

... Oh fuckin' REALLY? What would you call THAT?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I literally don’t understand it

I’ve never seen any other team perform a Bearsing, ever, even on accident.

And yet this team, with an entirely new coaching staff and 75% new roster, just performed a textbook Bearsing on their first loving game. How is that possible? Does it just spontaneously happen when you put on the jersey?

I’m loving vibrating. I didn’t sleep this whole night I stayed up thinking of ways to apply the HITS principle to my daily life. That first half of football was, unironically, the worst passing offense in my entire lifetime and they won by two scores. I’m all in. Bears.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Double post

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Big Beef City posted:

It's partially on Rodgers, but it's mostly on the defense

Yes the defense is why they scored 7 points. The loss is totally on the defense.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Big Beef City posted:

It's partially on Rodgers, but it's mostly on the defense that apparently has been subsumed by the ghost of Dom loving Capers here, with how they're sticking with whatever ridiculous zone scheme with Jaire et al. rather than just go man.
Hell they ASKED LaFleur about this and his answer was "Oh you don't want to go man on man almost the time or they'll pick it up".

... Oh fuckin' REALLY? What would you call THAT?

In defense of the DC here, generally the McVay offenses are absolute murder on Man coverage with all the motion and rub routes they employ.

I kind of wish I could see the All-22 (without paying out the rear end for it) because im guessing a decent amount of the "Jefferson wide open!" moments are when his trailing defender got screened by someone on a deep crosser

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Not gonna lie, the Bears sliding on the field is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

MJeff posted:

Not gonna lie, the Bears sliding on the field is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Yup. :(