Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Yanks in Izyum

https://twitter.com/TarmoJuntunen/status/1569070539649552385

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Soccer mom: *kisses troops* "have fun at war honey!"

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alan Smithee posted:

Soccer mom: *kisses troops* "have fun at war honey!"

They love and happiness I’ve been seeing from liberated Ukrainians is wonderful. It’s weird to say, but I’m finding some of my faith in humanity being restored, even though it comes from war. Better it never happened, but that’s Russia’s fault and they will pay for it by becoming a third world country and a humiliated one.

https://twitter.com/mfa_ukraine/status/1568984189520990208?s=46&t=Jt5mZbJWFjKRLYZkx01zCQ

Is it dusty in here?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Well reality for some, doubling down on delusion for others.

Although he may just be controlled opposition.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1569084264506851328?s=46&t=Jt5mZbJWFjKRLYZkx01zCQ

The D&D thread and it’s Russian-speakers have long noted that Russian state TV tends to trot out “reasonable” people on their talk shows whose purpose is pretty much to get shouted down while claiming to provide “fair and balanced” views because hey, they give the other viewpoint plenty of space to talk! This sort of thing where someone comes on to say “Yeah Russia is kinda in trouble” and everyone else yells them down has been going on a while on different subjects.

I do like how later in the video the host goes “Well, there’s a lot of sabotage going on and people are saying we have two ways of pulling ourselves out of this hole, one is to be tougher on the occupied territories to stop them trying to do anything, the other is to be tougher and more punishing on the unoccupied territories to “sober them up,” which would you choose?”

And the analyst he’s talking to rolls his eyes before responding “Neither. Neither will work.”

Like those are the only two methods that come to mind?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Again, I don't see how, even in the event of a full pre-2014 border reclamation, Russia doesn't indefinitely conduct cruise and TBM strikes on Ukraine as well as turn the Black Sea into a mostly unrestricted submarine warfare zone, even though seeing/tutoring Ukraine in ASW would be interesting.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tomn posted:

When you look at Russian behavior…it appears that even their binary decision making is truly even binary. Just dumb and even more dumb.

Also Russia looking to get its rear end kicked by Japan again.

https://twitter.com/japanjointstaff/status/1569144120429670406?s=46&t=fqTNPFtHPsKkMnYqlK0A9Q

I feel weird saying this, but I think the only thing that should come out of this is the disintegration of the Russian Federation into such a way that it won’t be able to threaten anyone again, lots of small republics, even if that means cutting the Chinese in on the Far East.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Again, I don't see how, even in the event of a full pre-2014 border reclamation, Russia doesn't indefinitely conduct cruise and TBM strikes on Ukraine as well as turn the Black Sea into a mostly unrestricted submarine warfare zone, even though seeing/tutoring Ukraine in ASW would be interesting.

They'd be cementing their status as an international pariah state over a war that, in that hypothetical, they had lost utterly. Such an unqualified defeat for Russia is one of the most plausible scenarios that leads to them agreeing to end the conflict under terms that Ukraine would accept. (for clarification, I am not suggesting that I think Ukraine pushing Russia all the way back to their 2014 borders is a likely outcome, happy as I would be to see it).

Like, what, they're gonna endure international sanctions in perpetuity so they can throw an ineffectual tantrum?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

turn the Black Sea into a mostly unrestricted submarine warfare zone, even though seeing/tutoring Ukraine in ASW would be interesting.

I feel like there'd be a limit to how much of this goes on, given that submarines are big, complex, and expensive, that there aren't THAT many submarines floating around, and that Russia is in no shape to spool up wartime levels of submarine production. I don't feel like it'd take very long at all before they decide that spending expensive subs to harass Ukrainian shipping (while simultaneously pissing off anyone with an interest in shipping in the region) isn't remotely worth it - and even if they thought it'd was, they'd run out of subs eventually.

Come to think of it, even just lobbing cruise missiles on the regular would be a pretty good way to ensure the sanctions are near-permanent to justify not giving Russia the complex electronics needed to replenish their cruise missile supply, and then I genuinely don't know if they actually COULD replenish their supply domestically.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I feel weird saying this, but I think the only thing that should come out of this is the disintegration of the Russian Federation into such a way that it won’t be able to threaten anyone again, lots of small republics, even if that means cutting the Chinese in on the Far East.

Gonna say that I'm honestly not sure if this is a great long-term outcome because if there's one thing the CCP is absolutely terrified of, it's China splintering or getting carved up into tiny little helpless spheres of influence, and even if they gain from it seeing the same thing happen to Russia would crank their paranoia meters past the breaking point. The absolute last thing anybody needs is China genuinely believing that any Western opposition is the prelude to the total emasculation of China and responding in kind.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Voyager I posted:

Like, what, they're gonna endure international sanctions in perpetuity so they can throw an ineffectual tantrum?

Haven't they *already* been doing this in a lesser degree for well over a decade now?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Considering they’re now beholden to North loving Korea for ammunition supplies I’m pretty sure any possibility of the Russian Federation as it currently exists being a functional member of the international community is so far off the table that it’s fallen out of a window after shooting itself in the back of the head seven times.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Tomn posted:

I feel like there'd be a limit to how much of this goes on, given that submarines are big, complex, and expensive, that there aren't THAT many submarines floating around, and that Russia is in no shape to spool up wartime levels of submarine production.

I had a whole effort post written up about why Russia's not going to launch cruise missiles at Ukraine from Submarines, but TL;DR it's way easier to do so with IRBMs in Russian territory, something Russia excels at.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The problem with Russia being a pariah state with nothing to lose and sanctioned out the rear end is that I could see them selling "Anti-Imperialist Insurance."

"Wanna get Uncle Sugar or the Great Satan off your back? Pay us 20% of your country's GDP in perpetuity and if the Yankee Pig Dogs come calling we'll go on high alert and threaten them with nuclear annihilation! We might even scramble nuclear-armed bombers! gently caress it, why not, right?!?! Call now and secure your 1% discount!"

...simply because I don't see them becoming the "Nuclear Walmart" given that everyone was :ohdear: about North Korea doing that and they haven't...yet.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I had a whole effort post written up about why Russia's not going to launch cruise missiles at Ukraine from Submarines, but TL;DR it's way easier to do so with IRBMs in Russian territory, something Russia excels at.

Oh sorry, I was talking about two different things (which I assume the OP I was responding to was as well) - using submarines to conduct unrestricted submarine warfare against Ukrainian shipping, and lobbing cruise missiles from land at Ukraine.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tomn posted:

Oh sorry, I was talking about two different things (which I assume the OP I was responding to was as well) - using submarines to conduct unrestricted submarine warfare against Ukrainian shipping, and lobbing cruise missiles from land at Ukraine.

Where would these hypothetical submarines be based out of? Crimea?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A.o.D. posted:

Where would these hypothetical submarines be based out of? Crimea?

They’re based out of Sevastopol and they have been used as a cruise missile launching platforms.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

They’re based out of Sevastopol and they have been used as a cruise missile launching platforms.

How much longer is that going to be a viable option?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The problem with Russia being a pariah state with nothing to lose and sanctioned out the rear end is that I could see them selling "Anti-Imperialist Insurance."

But why would they do any of that when they could just end their invasion of Ukraine and rejoin the world economy, especially in a scenario where their invasion force had already been expelled and it's too late for them to even save face?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A.o.D. posted:

How much longer is that going to be a viable option?

Oh you meant after a withdrawal, my bad.

To answer your question, hopefully not much longer.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Tomn posted:

With how maritime shipping works, with flags of convenience and whatnot, that would be a great way to get NATO to start lobbing depth-charges at Russian submarines.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So they're sunk a few weeks after this starts? Submarines need a lot of upkeep and supplies to keep operating. Also the Black Sea is very small and it wouldn't take a month to scrub it of threat with some dedicated ASW work. At that late point in this war we'd probably be giving ATACMS so UA could just destroy the port with IRBMs themselves.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Russia doesn't have an unlimited supply of cruise missiles or the ability to replenish stocks to any relevant degree. Theyve repurposed S300s as make shift launchers at this point.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'm kinda shocked they didn't go hunting the subs after they sunk the Moskva, because sinking a sub is also a no-poo poo prestige military target, way over and above its actual military value.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

M_Gargantua posted:

So they're sunk a few weeks after this starts? Submarines need a lot of upkeep and supplies to keep operating. Also the Black Sea is very small and it wouldn't take a month to scrub it of threat with some dedicated ASW work. At that late point in this war we'd probably be giving ATACMS so UA could just destroy the port with IRBMs themselves.

I thought the post originally meant currently and not a post war period.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GD_American posted:

I'm kinda shocked they didn't go hunting the subs after they sunk the Moskva, because sinking a sub is also a no-poo poo prestige military target, way over and above its actual military value.

With what? They don't have a survivable ASW platform to hunt them with.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

GD_American posted:

There is no Ukrainian Navy. Their only major surface combatant was an old Soviet frigate they scuttled back in the early days of the war. Even with their Neptunes and their creative use of MLRS for counter-surface fires they don't really have the capability to conduct ASW in the Black Sea.

You're not wrong about the impact sinking a Kilo would have, but unless a NATO country really increases its support is just not in the cards.

Well, at least at least it's not in the cards until they can get Sevastopol into Him ars or SRBM range and hit them in port.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

If the Ukranians liberate Crimea, and Russia still has a couple Kilos harassing them, I wouldn't bet against Ukraine managing to score a hit on one with a Bayraktar while it snorkels or something, just with how this war's gone.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Elviscat posted:

If the Ukranians liberate Crimea, and Russia still has a couple Kilos harassing them, I wouldn't bet against Ukraine managing to score a hit on one with a Bayraktar while it snorkels or something, just with how this war's gone.

I think it's more likely they pull a Kursk and sink themselves based on the failure rate of the Kalibirs coming out of the tubes in all of the videos on Twitter.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

how many missiles do those things carry anyway

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Theoretically as many as 20-22 but no submarine commander is going to completely offload all of his sub's torpedoes.

EDIT: Though as Elviscat posted below, tube-launching cruise missiles isn't ideal.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 12, 2022

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Some Kilos (SS) can carry up to 4, I'm unsure if that's tube-launched or they have a lovely pathetic little VLS cell. (Probably tube-launched)

Akula's (SSN) are similar.

Oscars (SSGN) (my favorite Russian submarine) can carry up to 28 Shipwrecks, which I'm pretty sure they can shove something that can do land-attack in those tubes.

The Severodvinsk-class, the pride of the Russian fleet, and the only class that makes me sleep a little unesier at night can fire 32 Kalibers from Her VLS tubes.

Tangent on launching missiles from submarines: tube-launching land-attack cruise missiles sucks, they're unreliable, it's an extremely slow process (1 or 2 at a time), you can only carry a few, and it leaves you with only a couple heavyweight torpedos, your main defense against other submarines and surface ships, loaded and ready, since you're using those heavyweight tubes to launch the missiles.

VLS launched cruise missiles are the solution to that problem, they're always ready to go, and you can keep all your tubes loaded with defensive weapons in case someone hears you launch and comes over to say hi. Modern US submarines carry 12 Tomahawks in VLS cells, enough for a decent sized strike against enemy air defenses or whatnot. The first four US Navy Ohio-Class submarines carry a spine chilling and loving insane 154 of the things, they're the only dedicated land-attack class of submarine I know of.

In general you want to launch cruise missiles from surface ships, because they have far better radar and comms abilities, and can usually launch from well outside the stand-off distance of any land based defence systems. Although with things like Ukraine's Poseidon missile proving that mobile, long-range effective anti-surface missiles are in the game now, I wonder if large missile-carrier subs will start to become a standard part of any Navy's arsenal. The USN is certainly looking to replace the lost capability of the Ohios when they get decommissioned in the next few years, with a stretch-limo version of the very capable and cheap as gently caress Virginia class SSGN.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Theoretically as many as 20-22 but no submarine commander is going to completely offload all of his sub's torpedoes.

We are talking about the navy where one of the captains sold the screws of his own ship for the scrap value during a refit.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wouldn't those subs eventually have to return to port to rearm and stock up on cigarettes? How would they do that if Ukraine controls the Black Sea and can restrict access to the Sea of Azov?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Up to 18, if they're willing to sacrifice all their torps.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

First-person video of a MANPADS hit on a Russian Su-25: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOLMyxRgFOw

Didn't look too damaging. It's lovely that this guy is Russian because the footage he's been putting up would be AvGeek catnip outside of current events.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

https://www.iswresearch.org/2022/09/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment_88.html?m=1

quote:

Occupation authorities may be fleeing from occupied Ukraine to Russia as Ukrainian forces advance towards Russian rear areas. Mariupol Mayoral Adviser Petro Andryushenko stated that Donetsk People’s Republic (DNR) Head Denis Pushilin and DNR Mayor of Mariupol Konstantin Ivashchenko were supposed to attend a military parade in Mariupol on September 11 but did not and that their current whereabouts are unknown.[41] Ukrainian Luhansk Oblast Head Serhiy Haidai stated that occupation authorities are fleeing from occupied territories, including those that Russian proxy authorities have held since 2014.[42] Ukrainian Mayor of Enerhodar Dmytro Orlov posted a screenshot of a Telegram post made by an unspecified occupation authority that called on civilian collaborators to leave occupied territories for Russia.[43]

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Tomn posted:

The D&D thread and it’s Russian-speakers have long noted that Russian state TV tends to trot out “reasonable” people on their talk shows whose purpose is pretty much to get shouted down while claiming to provide “fair and balanced” views because hey, they give the other viewpoint plenty of space to talk! This sort of thing where someone comes on to say “Yeah Russia is kinda in trouble” and everyone else yells them down has been going on a while on different subjects.

Before the war they also loved to have paid actors to be Americans and Ukrainians in the studio that the more unhinged guests and the host could shout at or even kick out of the studio to create a viral moment.

These days they set the rhythm between guests who drone out something that sounds analytical and maniacs who demand to nuke London. It helps to keep grandma's who watch those shows to stay awake.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Elviscat posted:

Some Kilos (SS) can carry up to 4, I'm unsure if that's tube-launched or they have a lovely pathetic little VLS cell. (Probably tube-launched)

Oscars (SSGN) (my favorite Russian submarine) can carry up to 28 Shipwrecks, which I'm pretty sure they can shove something that can do land-attack in those tubes.

The Severodvinsk-class, the pride of the Russian fleet, and the only class that makes me sleep a little unesier at night can fire 32 Kalibers from Her VLS tubes.

Tangent on launching missiles from submarines: tube-launching land-attack cruise missiles sucks, they're unreliable, it's an extremely slow process (1 or 2 at a time), you can only carry a few, and it leaves you with only a couple heavyweight torpedos, your main defense against other submarines and surface ships, loaded and ready, since you're using those heavyweight tubes to launch the missiles.

VLS launched cruise missiles are the solution to that problem, they're always ready to go, and you can keep all your tubes loaded with defensive weapons in case someone hears you launch and comes over to say hi. Modern US submarines carry 12 Tomahawks in VLS cells, enough for a decent sized strike against enemy air defenses or whatnot. The first four US Navy Ohio-Class submarines carry a spine chilling and loving insane 154 of the things, they're the only dedicated land-attack class of submarine I know of.

In general you want to launch cruise missiles from surface ships, because they have far better radar and comms abilities, and can usually launch from well outside the stand-off distance of any land based defence systems. Although with things like Ukraine's Poseidon missile proving that mobile, long-range effective anti-surface missiles are in the game now, I wonder if large missile-carrier subs will start to become a standard part of any Navy's arsenal. The USN is certainly looking to replace the lost capability of the Ohios when they get decommissioned in the next few years, with a stretch-limo version of the very capable and cheap as gently caress Virginia class SSGN.

Yeah, I get the impression the four SSGNs are overworked because they stumbled upon the perfect combination of stealth, intelligence capability and raw firepower. The Virginias seem to be a mix of SSGN and Seawolf - all for less money per boat (this is A Good Thing).

For comparison, a Tico-class cruiser has 122 VLS cells, which carry a mix of missiles (and inherently less Tomahawks). The SSGNs far as I'm aware carry nothing but cruise missiles, and 154 of those parked anywhere close to my coast and not knowing where they were would always be on my mind as a naval planner.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tomn posted:

I do like how later in the video the host goes “Well, there’s a lot of sabotage going on and people are saying we have two ways of pulling ourselves out of this hole, one is to be tougher on the occupied territories to stop them trying to do anything, the other is to be tougher and more punishing on the unoccupied territories to “sober them up,” which would you choose?”

And the analyst he’s talking to rolls his eyes before responding “Neither. Neither will work.”

Yeah the interesting thing is not so much what they are saying because it's all theatrics, but what the shows reveal about how the interface between the population and the regime propaganda machine is working.

For example, none of them are even making a fig leaf of an attempt to defend the RMoD line that this was a planned retrograde operation. That's just for useful idiots in the West, they know nobody in Moscow is buying that.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Elviscat posted:

https://news.usni.org/2022/07/15/russians-used-sub-launched-missiles-to-strike-vinnytsia-business-center

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-says-it-disables-ukrainian-railway-stations-used-transport-western-2022-05-04/

Not ideal, but apparently good enough for Russia (or at least to claim they did it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

ArmyGroup303 posted:

Yeah, I get the impression the four SSGNs are overworked because they stumbled upon the perfect combination of stealth, intelligence capability and raw firepower. The Virginias seem to be a mix of SSGN and Seawolf - all for less money per boat (this is A Good Thing).

For comparison, a Tico-class cruiser has 122 VLS cells, which carry a mix of missiles (and inherently less Tomahawks). The SSGNs far as I'm aware carry nothing but cruise missiles, and of those parked anywhere close to my coast and not knowing where they were would always be on my mind as a naval planner.

The biggest problem with the GNs is they're coming up fast on their 50th birthdays and they're just old and broken and they don't have enough budget for repairs. I always love how a program to find a use for some old lovely unloved SSBNs turned into an what's turned into unique an unmatched capabilities.

Virginia's are awesome, they're more capable than the old 688s, cheap and I think most importantly, super reliable and easy to maintain. I was on the original 774, and she was getting both long in the tooth, and too far from her last drydocking, and we still took her out to sea on time to the non-adjusted scheduled minute all but 1 time in my 5 years on board. I didn't realize that was insane until I left to work on the other classes of submarine. Sailors from other classes make fun of VAs by calling them the "Honda Civic" of submarines, and that's the best analogy I can come up with, although I don't see the negative connotation there.

I guess I failed to account for Russia's... unique prosecution of this war. I was kinda saying it's not a significant or long-term viable thing to do.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 12, 2022