Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ask him which game has the best fishing minigame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

why does sonic the hegheg have a loving stamina bar he should run at maximum speed all the time he doesn't stop to catch his breath wtf

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sonic Frontiers looks like it will be this years worse video game, and so far nothing about it has made me think otherwise.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

i really appreciate the fishing in Dinkum, because unlike Animal Crossing or Stardew, the fish are actual creatures swimming around in the environment, not an abstraction, and if you mess up and miss hooking it, it doesn't just vanish. it just swims away a little bit and you can try again. you can see which fish is what and follow them around. it's nice!

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Jay Rust posted:

his answer was okami with FF15 being a close second because, and i quote, 'ff15 had a lot of issues but the fishing was good so eh'

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

why does sonic the hegheg have a loving stamina bar he should run at maximum speed all the time he doesn't stop to catch his breath wtf

pretty sure that's the boost meter not a stamina bar, but yah, its def a lil weird to see lol

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It’s the boost meter and there’s apparently an option to turn it off

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mix. posted:

pretty sure that's the boost meter not a stamina bar, but yah, its def a lil weird to see lol

that's the same thing
it's a green bar you use to go at full speed and when it runs out you get too tired or your afterburners get too overheated or your space capacitors run out of charge or whatever you have to slow down until the bar fills up again

i cant believe it but doomguy is now officially better at sprinting than sonic

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gotta go fast
(When allowed)

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

that's the same thing
it's a green bar you use to go at full speed and when it runs out you get too tired or your afterburners get too overheated or your space capacitors run out of charge or whatever you have to slow down until the bar fills up again

lmao that's been in sonic games for like the last decade then, you're a lil late on this one

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
doesn't matter whether sonic did it before, open world games where you spend 90% of your time walking across the huge level should not have a sprint button or stamina meter

e: pretty sure the last 3d sonic game i played was sonic heroes which i only vaguely remember

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 12, 2022

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is it the only way for sonic to go fast or is the boost meter more akin to carrots for epona or the fire shield's dash in sonic 3?

e: by that I mean can he still just spindash/peelout/speedkeed or did boost replace that

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

From what it looks like, he still goes pretty fast, it just might make him faster

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

sonic probably has the most ill-conceived character gimmick ever since it's caused 30 years of people getting mad that the games still have game design and obstacles despite being about a Fast Guy

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Mix. posted:

lmao that's been in sonic games for like the last decade then, you're a lil late on this one

Yeah but in those your two speeds are "ridiculously fast" and "so ridiculously fast it's difficult to react to things". In that clip it's more the "sprint" seems about around non-boost speed in the other recent games. That's fine, it's a very differently structured game after all (and I'm of the opinion that the boost games are a bit too fast), but it doesn't look so fast that you need to have sonic take a little breather occasionally.

Though, this is judging how it works from a minute long clip, so it's entirely possible it fits better in the actual game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Motto posted:

sonic probably has the most ill-conceived character gimmick ever since it's caused 30 years of people getting mad that the games still have game design and obstacles despite being about a Fast Guy

fooled the developers too, they listened to their own marketing copy too much and as a result the 3d games put way too much focus on on-rails gofast segments also literal on-rails rail grinding

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

They should implement Shoe Degradation to Sonic.

So you're constantly having to pickup new shoes

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Infinitum posted:

They should implement Shoe Degradation to Sonic.

So you're constantly having to pickup new shoes

would you see sonic's feet when his shoes break because that would be pretty funny ha ha

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
you should also have to carefully balance sonic when on uneven terrain

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Go Fastman

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Dr Eggman

Wait, poo poo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Mohawk Headphonejack

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Violen posted:

the zero series ends on such a pitch perfect note lol

zeros so cool...

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"A personal justice, if you will"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I remember being so confused when I first tried out mega man zero 3 because I thought weil was meant to be wily and they just really bungled the translation

Instead, nope, just 2 different people.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh they kinda did bungle the translation, just way back in Mega Man X where they renamed Vava/Baba Vile which is Weil’s JP name.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You should definitely care about justice. That’s a yikes from me

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I care about more than just ice

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I only care about Mr Cool Ice

Hope he's doing well

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I wish Zero would believe in me

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ffxiv: shadowbringer(s):
They finally took my advice and eliminated the pointless travelling between npcs for the crafting quests. No more teleporting back and forth between continents for a few lines of dialogue at a time. It’s all been condensed into a single cutscene!

There are still too many of these cutscenes and they still run too long for my personal tastes but yeah it’s absolutely tolerable

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Ffxiv: shadowbringer(s):
They finally took my advice and eliminated the pointless travelling between npcs for the crafting quests. No more teleporting back and forth between continents for a few lines of dialogue at a time. It’s all been condensed into a single cutscene!

There are still too many of these cutscenes and they still run too long for my personal tastes but yeah it’s absolutely tolerable

this was part of a broader effort to try and consolidate various elements to reduce their workload, since having to come up with separate questlines for every job in the game was a herculean task that tended to badly impact the quality of what they could put out

yoshida's greatest asset is that he has actual project management skills and an understanding of how filling your plate with potatoes leaves no room for turkey, which is a comically rare set of traits in an industry populated by managers who think the best way to get more blood from a stone is to squeeze harder

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Played a ton of FFX this weekend.

I am still magooing my way through battles and such but that is down to me more than anything else.
I really love the combat and how if I play my things right (if I remember them) I can take no damage at all.

Fighting the big creature on the cliffside (not the Chocobo Eater but the scorpion like thingy) was a bit of a trial because his arms kept coming back, but I did not fail!

This feels like they really did take advantage of the jump between PS1 and PS2 and I am here for all of it :)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's your favorite version of the chocobo theme you've heard so far veeg

e: mine is 9's, ukulele chocobo theme is just so calm and chill

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Oh god, I can’t wait for VG to get to XIII-2 and hear Crazy Chocobo.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Reading this is Raiden's voice

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Yeah it has to be FFIX's because it is part of one of the best minigames :) Love that version. I am not sure I have heard the FFX one in game yet. I saved the chocobos but did not actually ride any.

Mostly just ran around and kept getting jumped by the big fireball guys and the tough double horned armadillos.

Also I won my first non story game of Blitzball 2-0 and that was awesome :D And I am having fun messing around in the expert sphere grid despite not having a clue what I am doing (which is basically the slogan of my game playing.)

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Expert Grid just makes it easier to get characters into each other's paths letting you get them mixed. It hass less nodes than the normal grid so it's suboptimal for postgame maxing (don't do postgame).

Also don't be like 8yo me and accidentally get Tidus into Auron's side before getting the Haste spells!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Also don't be like 8yo me and accidentally get Tidus into Auron's side before getting the Haste spells!

Oh he has the Haste spell, though you'd never know it looking at his battles :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am going to put a sign on my screen with tips for me to remember next time:

Swap out Party Members
Use Haste
Use Items
Remember who can do what

and so on.

Probably will fill the screen.