Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Splicer posted:

Indian scifi short story following an indian man going through the matchmaking process in a future where pre-birth gender selection has left india with a huge male to female ratio. A phrase like "How to be an exceptional boy" or "quality boy" or something kept being used.

An Excess Male by Maggie Shen King?
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33544902-an-excess-male

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Good guess but it was absolutely set in India.

e: Aha! "An Eligible Boy" https://clarkesworldmagazine.com/mcdonald_11_16_reprint/

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 15, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Got a memory of a short horror story I read when I was young: I think it's set in southeast asia, and involves a monster that devours a young child's sibling while they are both in a shared bedroom. The room is completely dark, and so neither the monster (that may be a wolf of some sort) nor the child can see each other - the monster is pretending to be the sibling, crunching on their bones, and keeps saying that they're eating some delicious walnuts (or some other nut) and the living sibling should come join them in eating some. But the sibling knows that this is a monster, and does not comply. Don't remember how it ends. Does this ring any bells at all?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Morpheus posted:

Got a memory of a short horror story I read when I was young: I think it's set in southeast asia, and involves a monster that devours a young child's sibling while they are both in a shared bedroom. The room is completely dark, and so neither the monster (that may be a wolf of some sort) nor the child can see each other - the monster is pretending to be the sibling, crunching on their bones, and keeps saying that they're eating some delicious walnuts (or some other nut) and the living sibling should come join them in eating some. But the sibling knows that this is a monster, and does not comply. Don't remember how it ends. Does this ring any bells at all?

That sounds like an Emily Carroll plot

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

xcheopis posted:

That sounds like an Emily Carroll plot

Funny I just read His Face All Red earlier today.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Teach posted:

Hello, thread - you've come through for me before, so how about this?

Read at least 40 years ago, it was a Sci-Fi, probably young adult, or whatever that was called, 40 years ago. A novel rather than a short story. There was a "feeling cube", or a "feeling block", and my friend can't remember whether the cube/block was something that was physically felt, or something that responded to emotions. The protagonist was a young person, the ending was ambivalent, rather than a happy ending, and there was a threat to the world from (possibly) outside the Earth.

It wasn't on a school's reading list, so it would have been from a local library in the USA.

Not a lot to go on, of course! But do it, goons.

Maybe pieces of A Wrinkle in Time? Definitely an ambivalent-ish ending and maybe the cube is the IT in the last world.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Morpheus posted:

Funny I just read His Face All Red earlier today.

So good. I really should buy her books.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
This is a long shot, but I'm trying to identify a YA Christian sci-fi novel I read when I was a kid. It's a dystopia where everything is controlled by an AI, religion is outlawed, and dissidents, disabled people, and the elderly are euthanized. The protagonist is a teenage boy who receives a Bible disguised as a rock (an obvious ripoff of the one Dr. Yueh gives to Paul in Dune). It was the first book in a series, and it ends with the protagonist accepting Jesus Christ as his lord and personal savior.

I remember that the AI's name started with S and there was something like a Cool S logo that they put on everything, but I can't remember the actual name. Attempts to search for it are fruitless since this would have been in the early 90s.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 22, 2022

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

taco show posted:

Maybe pieces of A Wrinkle in Time? Definitely an ambivalent-ish ending and maybe the cube is the IT in the last world.

Thank you, but no. However, I really appreciate the help - thank you!

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I can only remember a fragment of this, it's a memory a character has of someone flying through a shop window and a long piece of glass punctures their lung. The shop owner (butcher shop?) slaps a pice of grease proof paper over the wound, which seals it enough for the lung to re-inflate, saving the characters life. Read sometime before 2000.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

somewhat generic werewolf urban fantasy novel - the pack are young drifters going from town to town in a van of some kind, scrounging for food by pickpocketing I suppose, the MC is the wife of a rich dude who abuses her. turns out the MC is also some kind of hot poo poo in the werewolf world (of course) and her husband is involved in some kind of evil ritual or whatever. i cannot remember the author or the title.

GrayGriffin
Apr 30, 2017

Morpheus posted:

This is from the Aunt/Grandma Tiger folktale, I believe? It shows up in multiple adaptations. Although I do believe there's at least one version where the villain is a wolf instead.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Doktor Avalanche posted:

somewhat generic werewolf urban fantasy novel - the pack are young drifters going from town to town in a van of some kind, scrounging for food by pickpocketing I suppose, the MC is the wife of a rich dude who abuses her. turns out the MC is also some kind of hot poo poo in the werewolf world (of course) and her husband is involved in some kind of evil ritual or whatever. i cannot remember the author or the title.

Read it twenty years ago so I'm a bit iffy on the details, but this sounds like Bitten by Kelley Armstrong.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Read it twenty years ago so I'm a bit iffy on the details, but this sounds like Bitten by Kelley Armstrong.

sorry, no, this is definitely newer
I'd say probably released in the last couple (as in, two) of years

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
hey yall i really need to find the name of this author/story...

he was a sci fi author. maybe part of the new wave sci-fi. his works had an environmentalist slant and one story in particular was about a man who wakes up, doesn't remember anything and sees visions of a ruined earth. he starts walking and arrives at this town where it is always twilight and time does not seem to pass.

thanks

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Orc Priest posted:

hey yall i really need to find the name of this author/story...

he was a sci fi author. maybe part of the new wave sci-fi. his works had an environmentalist slant and one story in particular was about a man who wakes up, doesn't remember anything and sees visions of a ruined earth. he starts walking and arrives at this town where it is always twilight and time does not seem to pass.

thanks

I don’t think it’s what your thinking about but that describes Roger Zelaznys Jack of Shadow if you squint a bit.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm trying to ID a book series that I read as a kid. It was a YA modern fantasy about wizards and magic etc. It had the thing where wizards mess with technology so they're limited to non-tech forms of communication etc. I'm reasonably sure that it wasn't the Dresden Files or anything on that side of the "for adults" scale. One thing I do remember was that non-humans could be wizards and that there was a character who was a tree wizard (that is, a tree who was a wizard). I believe it had at least 5-6 installments by the time I read it in 2005-06. My school library only had books 1, 3 and 5 so I was reasonably confused but still entertained as I read it.

edit: Never mind, some trawling of the wider internet has shown me that it was the Young Wizards series by Diane Duane.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 12, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Trying to decide which way to pronounce this

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Dwayne

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

imo either Dwine Dwayne or Diane Dooane

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dee-ann Du-anny

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

edit: Never mind, some trawling of the wider internet has shown me that it was the Young Wizards series by Diane Duane.

Funny, I've only read the first book of the series like over a couple decades ago, don't remember anything except the title (or even that it was part of the series) and even while reading your post my mind wandered and I thought "Huh I kinda feel like looking up So You Want To Be A Wizard"

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 12, 2022

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Morpheus posted:

Funny, I've only read the first book of the series like over a couple decades ago, don't remember anything except the title (or even that it was part of the series) and even while reading your post my mind wandered and I thought "Huh I kinda feel like looking up So You Want To Be A Wizard"
For anyone thinking of a re-read, it's worth noting that the author has revised/edited versions available on her website. Some changes are just to tighten up the timeline (Nita and Kit now use cell phones in the first book instead of biking to a payphone). But she also significantly rewrote a problematic autistic character based on reader feedback.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Hey guys! I'm really glad I found this and hopefully this the best place to ask. A long time ago I think on the front page of SA there was some weird sci-fi/horror series of articles. I remember one section was about someone trapped in a prison as strange things and beings crept their way to the upper levels. The protagonist speaks of other inmates who had been changed or beings that would call to him or something I think? It's been so long. I'm not sure its name or where to find it or even who the author is. Any help would be appreciated!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Moochewmoo posted:

Hey guys! I'm really glad I found this and hopefully this the best place to ask. A long time ago I think on the front page of SA there was some weird sci-fi/horror series of articles. I remember one section was about someone trapped in a prison as strange things and beings crept their way to the upper levels. The protagonist speaks of other inmates who had been changed or beings that would call to him or something I think? It's been so long. I'm not sure its name or where to find it or even who the author is. Any help would be appreciated!

Is this the Instruction for a Help series?

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

It feels incredibly similar in tone. What I'm trying to recall is something along the lines of man trapped in a super-duper max prison, which ironically makes him "safe" as these other worldly things slowly creep their way deeper and deeper into the jail. I think it may of been Parsons writing, I'm almost 100% is was hosted on SA in some form. It's not "That Insidious Beast" either. I'm sorry for being so vague but I'm wracking my god drat brain as best I can.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
DO YOU LIKE DON AND SEYMOUR RECORDS???

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 13, 2022

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

My god thank you. I appreciate this so incredibly much.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Talons. I got 'em.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

So good. He wrote another series about weird zombie plants taking over the world which was also rad. And the one about the Unfolders.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Blimey, there's a lot of n-word usage in there.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

How do you look up a book when you definitely know the title, but not the author, and Google isn't helping?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

VostokProgram posted:

How do you look up a book when you definitely know the title, but not the author, and Google isn't helping?

try https://www.worldcat.org/

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Or you post the title and what you know in here and someone usually has it sitting on their shelf

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Opopanax posted:

Or you post the title and what you know in here and someone usually has it sitting on their shelf

Well the title is "Via Code". It's an old children's novel. Humans have colonized the universe, and there's a new technology where instead of taking a spaceship to visit another place, they build an android replica of you and then you upload your mind and it gets sent to the android. The main character does this to visit his grandma or something. And then there's some shenanigans and I think it turns out grandma was also an android? There might have been an inheritance murder situation going on. Pretty sure the protagonist swears off the technology forever at the end of the book

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

VostokProgram posted:

Well the title is "Via Code". It's an old children's novel. Humans have colonized the universe, and there's a new technology where instead of taking a spaceship to visit another place, they build an android replica of you and then you upload your mind and it gets sent to the android. The main character does this to visit his grandma or something. And then there's some shenanigans and I think it turns out grandma was also an android? There might have been an inheritance murder situation going on. Pretty sure the protagonist swears off the technology forever at the end of the book

Are you 100% sure on the title? Because that sounds like My Trip to Alpha I by Alfred Slote.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

wheatpuppy posted:

Are you 100% sure on the title? Because that sounds like My Trip to Alpha I by Alfred Slote.

Wow, this one even calls the brain upload thing "VOYA-CODE". Maybe the book I read was a knockoff or something? Or my memory is just wrong. Weird!!

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
No idea on the title or author. This is a YA novel I read in the early or mid 90s, no idea when it was published. Two teens go sailing from the Florida Keys. A storm hits and they get stranded on some island in the Bahamas. They try and fish, hunt conchs and lobster, and deal with more storms. A pair of drug dealers (who they call "the dopers") show up in a boat find them and chase them around. They build a raft and sail away and are rescued.

Google just brings up a bunch of Lord of the Flies-related results when I search for the theme, for obvious reasons. Anyone have a clue as to what this book is?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Random, but I’m thinking of a story. Fantasy or Urban Fantasy where there is a basilisk or cockatrice or Medusa thingy that turns people to stone, but just their skin and the resulting heat cooks the meat inside which is what the critter eats. Maybe Laundry Files or the Seanan McGuire Crypid books but I’m not sure and don’t want to do a re-read if I don’t haveta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

navyjack posted:

Random, but I’m thinking of a story. Fantasy or Urban Fantasy where there is a basilisk or cockatrice or Medusa thingy that turns people to stone, but just their skin and the resulting heat cooks the meat inside which is what the critter eats. Maybe Laundry Files or the Seanan McGuire Crypid books but I’m not sure and don’t want to do a re-read if I don’t haveta

Probably the Laundry Files one where a load of CCTVs get weaponised into having basilisk gaze.