Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

what about twins for #2 and #3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Thanks for the poo poo-inducing advice thread.

We stopped giving her the vitamin with iron at doctor's advice and a few days later she popped the hard poop cork and proceeded to give us 12 shits in a single day. Feast or famine with the poops, this one.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

it is my hope that having a second kid will be easier in some ways because it's not the first kid and we'll know what we're doing, at least for the baby phase. who knows! i will find out in a few months i guess.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

bitmap posted:

how much harder is having the second kid overall

going from 1 > 2 is way easier than 0 > 1 imo. You've already got most of what you need and know what to expect wrt the usual ups and downs, you don't get the descent into sleep deprived insanity because you're already there, and you aren't rocking a baby at 3am frantically googling stupid 1st time parent stuff like 'can you die from crying'.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah it seems like the anxiety is way down but the thing I hear from friends is you sort of develop heuristics for dealing for the first kid that may not apply to the second kid.

the baby passing out briefly from crying hard when they're little is loving terrifying though I have to say.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

lobster shirt posted:

it is my hope that having a second kid will be easier in some ways because it's not the first kid and we'll know what we're doing, at least for the baby phase. who knows! i will find out in a few months i guess.

Every single thing we learned we had to unlearn or relearn or was different.

obviously ymmv, but it's not a sure thing at all

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

Definitely. The hard part is just stuff like, it's harder to trade off kids for a break, they compete for your attention, you get woken up twice as often, etc.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
the good news is that as long as the age difference isn't like a decade or something, you basically build in a best friend for life.

my two boys are ride or die for each other every drat day and I love it.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

the good news is that as long as the age difference isn't like a decade or something, you basically build in a best friend for life.

my two boys are ride or die for each other every drat day and I love it.

Our little one cried his heart out and was almost inconsolable when his older brother started preschool last week. These feelings are almost too big for me to handle sometimes.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

the first kid was a 10/10 angel who still sleeps perfectly every single night so the next one is definitely going to be a satanic goblin from the land of wind and hungry ghosts because thems the breaks

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
My daughter is 11 and started puberty a couple months ago. Her attitude since then has been atrocious and she's refusing to do her work in school, constantly talking back, etc. She's always had trouble behaving, but she'd made a lot of progress that she recently seems to have thrown away and then some. Not sure what to do because she doesn't like talking about stuff like that. :(

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

bitmap posted:

how much harder is having the second kid overall

Like 4x difficulty imo. When you would get little breaks with 1 kid here and there, with 2 kids one always needs attention (so far). Mine are 4 and 1.5, so I think we might be getting of the weeds with kid 2 as she gains the tiniest amount of autonomy but it's been rough.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Sherbert Hoover posted:

My daughter is 11 and started puberty a couple months ago. Her attitude since then has been atrocious and she's refusing to do her work in school, constantly talking back, etc. She's always had trouble behaving, but she'd made a lot of progress that she recently seems to have thrown away and then some. Not sure what to do because she doesn't like talking about stuff like that. :(

Sorry bud, my kids are much younger but I was the trouble child at that age (and further!) so my advice is limited to my experience as the kid. I was def bucking against my conservative Christian parents and they were pretty inflexible.
This is obvs the age where they need to be treated more like people whose pov is valid and important, but they also need to learn that the "authority" figures around them have that same need as individuals. What I wished I had gotten was a frank conversation about how I want to be treated and how I need to treat others to get that. Basically that it doesn't have to be a fight (but it did for me lol).

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

AxGrap posted:

Sorry bud, my kids are much younger but I was the trouble child at that age (and further!) so my advice is limited to my experience as the kid. I was def bucking against my conservative Christian parents and they were pretty inflexible.
This is obvs the age where they need to be treated more like people whose pov is valid and important, but they also need to learn that the "authority" figures around them have that same need as individuals. What I wished I had gotten was a frank conversation about how I want to be treated and how I need to treat others to get that. Basically that it doesn't have to be a fight (but it did for me lol).

Yeah I'm going to try for that conversation. It's tough because I often feel like she's just nodding her head so she can get back to what she was doing. I was also similar when I was a kid. You'd think it'd make things easier but so far it's a mixed bag. Thanks for the advice.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Greg Legg posted:

Our little one cried his heart out and was almost inconsolable when his older brother started preschool last week. These feelings are almost too big for me to handle sometimes.

I think I said this before but when my oldest started kindergarten my middle child spent the first morning laying on the living room floor.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Mine is almost 12 and she started puberty about a year and a half ago Strap in because it will be loving rough for a long time. Your new goals are:

1) find ways to motivate her with whatever works as long as it doesn’t cause long term issues.

2) damage control when she blows up.

Things I learned in the last two years:

She will hurt your feelings repeatedly and make you cry. She will make you regret having kids. You will feel like a failure of a parent. What works this week will not work next week. You will be playing whack-a-mole with her attitude and problems for years.

Defuse situations quickly. Send her to her room before arguments get out of control. She will rarely back down and will just continuously escalate.

Don’t spend too much time trying to talk through why she mad a terrible decision. She has no loving clue and trying to explain it will just make her madder.

Longer consequences or rewards likely won’t work at all. Focus on short-term reinforcement or short-term privilege loss when relevant.

Give her space and grace when she fucks up while still holding her accountable. When she comes to apologize, listen and accept the apology while still making sure she knows it is unacceptable and there are at least some short term consequences. Don’t dwell to much on why: “No, you should have told me to go gently caress myself and slammed the door. No matter how you feel that’s not an acceptable way to talk to anyone. I accept your apology. You have no electronics for the rest of the day but if you have a better attitude tomorrow, we can discuss it.”

Triple check anything you ask her to do. She will come up with increasingly creative ways to not do her poo poo and you will just have to constantly refocus her. Don’t make too big of a deal about her totally loving around for a week at school and getting a bad grade (or 6). Just focus on a plan to get her back on track.

It’s going to suck. You have a stranger living in your house now. You might become friends again in the future but the kid you knew before is going to be completely gone. Do not expect that anything you used to do together will be the same.

It took over a year before my daughter would even want to hug anyone again or sit beside them on the couch. She has finally learned her to regulate her temper and mood herself without needing to be sent away. It’s been almost a month since she yelled at someone. School is still a struggle because the second you aren’t checking up on her, she will stop doing work.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

silvergoose posted:

Much more than twice as hard

You'll feel outnumbered 2 to 2

Nah, 0 to 1 is the hardest leap, as someone with 3

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

sullat posted:

Nah, 0 to 1 is the hardest leap, as someone with 3

I choose to take this as my answer thankyou everyone who replied

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

seven more weeks of the one kid easy life. ahh! this is living

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

bitmap posted:

I choose to take this as my answer thankyou everyone who replied

also choosing to believe this is the answer

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Mustached Demon posted:

what about twins for #2 and #3

we had friends that had twins for 2 and 3. we asked them how hard it was, they just got a thousand yard stare and both said "you never get used to twins".

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Iridium posted:

we had friends that had twins for 2 and 3. we asked them how hard it was, they just got a thousand yard stare and both said "you never get used to twins".

we were living in fear that our second would be twins

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

silvergoose posted:

we were living in fear that our second would be twins

i will become chaos when twins come

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Welp everyone in the house is sick lol (all covid negative though thankfully)

Babbybeast didn't want to stop cuddling on the couch for bedtime, i think she was ready to just sleep through the night on my chest :(

e: Babby's taking the cold the best out of all of us. Some coughing, congestion, minimal sniffles, but other than that she's still smiling and running around and constantly turning on demo mode on the keyboard and dancing to the song, which is good. Mama's laid out and I'm just drugged up and slogging through the work day as usual

E2: nope it's covid. Partner just tested positive. Lol lmao

Son of Thunderbeast has issued a correction as of 02:33 on Sep 16, 2022

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Welp everyone in the house is sick lol (all covid negative though thankfully)

That's us so far, solo masking at school and home air purifiers aren't working as well as I had hoped.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
my wife was talking to her very straight laced and put together aunt about the anxiety of having a kid and asking her if it ever goes away and she turned to her and said "you should smoke some weed"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Wisdom

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

somebody needs to invent a better test for kids at their physical check up than that brutal finger stab thing. holy poo poo my kid went apeshit when the nurse tricked her into it

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Hope you guys all get better soon!

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Real hurthling! posted:

somebody needs to invent a better test for kids at their physical check up than that brutal finger stab thing. holy poo poo my kid went apeshit when the nurse tricked her into it

uh what

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

it’s how they get blood for some early tests.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Oh huh I never witnessed this. Maybe her mom took her to those appointments.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

What did they need blood for?

Guessing it's one of those single use devices with a pin on a spring commonly called a finger stick/prick blood test.

We do a blood sample from the heel in newborns in Denmark in order to screen for a variety of endocrine and metabolic diseases.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

tricked? like, the nurse didn't tell your kid what was happening? i'd flip out too if my physician drew blood without warning or explanation

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Oh huh I never witnessed this. Maybe her mom took her to those appointments.

it's a spring-loaded needle that quickly pierces the skin of the finger. then the doctor collects a sample from the slightly bleeding finger

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Dreylad posted:

Hope you guys all get better soon!
Thanks! Kid's already rebounding, thank god we were able to get her vaxxed before this happened or I'd have been really worried. We've mostly been laying on the couches and watching tv, and napping there too, so she's been good with it. She'll even get up to turn on the keyboard's demo song and dance to it, and ask me to chase her, which is how i know she's feeling all right.

Thanks to all this I've discovered that Sonic Boom is a legit very funny show, i recommend it. Probably the best sonic show out there

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Struensee posted:

Guessing it's one of those single use devices with a pin on a spring commonly called a finger stick/prick blood test.

We do a blood sample from the heel in newborns in Denmark in order to screen for a variety of endocrine and metabolic diseases.

They do that in the US too, unless you are one of those dumb poo poo freebirthers who pushes put their kid into a kiddie pool in the kitchen

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Thanks! Kid's already rebounding, thank god we were able to get her vaxxed before this happened or I'd have been really worried. We've mostly been laying on the couches and watching tv, and napping there too, so she's been good with it. She'll even get up to turn on the keyboard's demo song and dance to it, and ask me to chase her, which is how i know she's feeling all right.

Thanks to all this I've discovered that Sonic Boom is a legit very funny show, i recommend it. Probably the best sonic show out there

I hope you and your daughter start to feel better soon. Have you tried getting a paxlovid prescription?

I'm thankful that the vaccines were approved for the under 5's this summer and our kids got them as soon as we could. Our oldest should be eligible for a booster soon, so that's good. I just hate watching them get ANY shots. I react worse than they do when that needle goes in.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Struensee posted:

What did they need blood for?

I remember at least one blood check a year. Heel pokes just a good place to get blood as a baby/toddler. Picks up liver ailments, hemoglobin levels, etc.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

my kid fell asleep on the way back from the park and I stone cold got 5 pints in at the local before she woke up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm surprised the 5 pints didn't keep her asleep for longer.