Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Finger Prince posted:

If you have a chance to try a bike, try it. Doesn't matter if it's the kind of thing you're in to. Someone gives you the keys to whatever, take it for a boot. I guarantee you'll learn something.
Well yeah if someone offers a ride I'm gonna take it, but marty is deliberately going to try those bikes, including apparently hours of travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I wouldn't travel hours to ride some lame DADV but definitely ride everything you can get your hands on, makes it much easier to learn what's common to all bikes and what's particular to certain kinds.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
The old 600 transalp was already a bit much weight in mud or loose sand or on real rough, I cant image the new ones being better.
It was awesome on any normal gravel road though, but so is a million other bikes. Heck I ride normal gravel roads some times with my fz6n on diablo rosso iv tires.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Toe Rag posted:

Why are you shopping for a big ADV bike if the Ninja 650 was too... whatever? Obviously you don't need to justify yourself to me, but I am just curious! I thought you were planning to "git gud" with your DRZ for a while.

I'm not shopping for big bikes specifically, I'm test riding everything I can put my butt on. I'm still out on the DRZ in parking lots every other weekend doing little drills and still chugging on it to hit shops when I head out :)

I was thinking about my reasoning pretty heavily over the past few weeks and I came down to: my two problems with the Ninja were that it was too nice to drop and it hurt my back. I'm happily solving the first with the DRZ right now, and knowing myself whatever I get will for sure get some offroad-cosplay crash bars and be more comfortable.

I still don't see the DRZ changing its role in the short term, but as I want to start travelling to work I don't think the DRZ is what I want to commute an hour each way on a highway on. I did get rid of the Ninja but it was strictly an ergonomics decision. It's a fairly upright bike but something about the positioning was still aggravating me in ways that I can't explain. Maybe it's the relatively lower handlebars? If the Ninja hadn't felt cramped I would probably not be rid of it right now.

Anyway, with a good seller's market I figured this was the time to move it rather than let it sit unused. If I settle on something I guess it's natural that I'll want to start to "git gud" on the new thing rather than the DRZ so we'll see, but it's nice to have a bike that I'm not shy about throwing down in a parking lot because scars are fine and plastics are cheap if I ever want to make it look pretty again.

But yeah, my test rides have absolutely included some big bikes when the opportunity arose -- appreciate that I don't have to answer to anyone but I’m also happy to have a discussion :)

But also at this point I think the CA threadposters know I make dumb impulsive decisions so if I do end up with something shiny and impractical I'm fully prepared for everyone to roll their eyes so I am not going to take it personally. But I'm probably not going to post about what I end up buying, so I'm content to just let everyone assume I mortgaged my house for a $40k BMW 1250 :cool:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Sep 9, 2022

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
an hour isn't poo poo for a drz. Get a trashcan, cut it into a fairing. get heated grips. done. The new multistrada with radar cruise is nice though...

Russian Bear posted:

Considering an Africa Twin is also 500lb... I guess they are going the BMW way. BMW middleweights are same as the 1250.

500lb empty and without armor. with its sportbike like abs plastics armored up and a tank of fuel the fucker is pushing six hundo.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Well yeah but isn't its weight lower due to the boxer engine? Not that I've ever ridden one.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I get too nervous riding other people's bikes, like I'm suddenly going to forget how to ride and go flying into the ditch immediately

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

busalover posted:

Well yeah but isn't its weight lower due to the boxer engine? Not that I've ever ridden one.

AT not the GS. The GS can't fall over as far thanks to its boxer engine and magnesium rocker covers.

Opopanax posted:

I get too nervous riding other people's bikes, like I'm suddenly going to forget how to ride and go flying into the ditch immediately

What's the worst you could do? Break it? Dong it into a curb without being perpendicular to the curb?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
First time I rode a GS was when I bought mine, first impression was that they handle way better than they have any right to and the second was "lol people ride these off road?!". Fuuuuuuuck picking one of those things up in the mud, much less a GSA.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jazzzzz posted:

First time I rode a GS was when I bought mine, first impression was that they handle way better than they have any right to and the second was "lol people ride these off road?!". Fuuuuuuuck picking one of those things up in the mud, much less a GSA.

I was absolutely amazed they were the bike of choice in Long Way Round. I know they're basically the purpose-built adventure bike, but fully laden GS bikes falling over in these muddy grassland moguls just looked so difficult to manage.

Sure it takes four people to stand this bike up, let's go ride into the middle of nowhere.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

an hour isn't poo poo for a drz. Get a trashcan, cut it into a fairing. get heated grips. done. The new multistrada with radar cruise is nice though...

500lb empty and without armor. with its sportbike like abs plastics armored up and a tank of fuel the fucker is pushing six hundo.

I think the 500 is wet weight for the AT.

As far as armor… idk don’t put a bunch of poo poo on your bike? Since realistically you’re probably not doing any serious off-roading.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

For an hour-long commute I'd be looking at mid-2000s VFRs. Cheap enough and fine to rack up a load of miles.

Also for significant commute lengths I'd say a helmet intercom/speaker is a game changer.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

I think the 500 is wet weight for the AT.

As far as armor… idk don’t put a bunch of poo poo on your bike? Since realistically you’re probably not doing any serious off-roading.

My husband has one. Try again. loving thing feels like it weighs more than my 7 ton F350 when it takes a nap.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 9, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

My husband has one. Try again. loving thing feels like it weighs more than my 7 ton F350 when it takes a nap.

Is it the dual clutch? That one weighs 50lb more.

Edit: looked back at the daily ride, looks like the adventure sport adds more weight with bigger tank and the dual clutch adds weight

Anyway, I’m certainly not disputing that 500+lb is not heavy and with the fuel higher up it’s probably not easy to pick up for your average bear.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 9, 2022

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

Is it the dual clutch? That one weighs 50lb more.

Yeah it is. And it's lowered 50mm.

For posterity.

loving euro kickstands. I ride the heavy fucker when he gets in over his head.

He flipped it on the same trip. With all the bullshit hanging off the bike you really need the armor. Peep the busted fairing.

It was actually worse than advertised.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

If only it actually worked that way but alas, not every parallel twin is interchangeable even if it feels that way

I mean, Honda's so into putting the same engine into every bike of a given displacement (the AT engine is in the rebel 1100 and the NT1100 now) that I fully expect it to be an NC750 engine (which makes ~55 hp and 65 lb-ft) with slightly different gearing.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Honda Europe posted a Hornet teaser video today: https://youtu.be/Xq0Iu4u-TNs

They say it's a brand new 270° crank 750cc p-twin. I'm pretty confident they'll use the same thing in the Transalp.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

FBS posted:

They say it's a brand new 270° crank 750cc p-twin. I'm pretty confident they'll use the same thing in the Transalp.

That does indeed look like the engine in the transalp leak photos.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

BabelFish posted:

I mean, Honda's so into putting the same engine into every bike of a given displacement (the AT engine is in the rebel 1100 and the NT1100 now) that I fully expect it to be an NC750 engine (which makes ~55 hp and 65 lb-ft) with slightly different gearing.

Lol sad

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

FBS posted:

A torquey 75 ish hp lump hopefully?

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 10, 2022

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I hope they do at least a *little* better than 100 hp/l

(but you're probably right)

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Supposedly it's 92HP with 55lb/ft torque. Depending on the price point I'll probably check it out, but my heart says to get a hipster XSR when I'm ready to upgrade next year.

e: I don't know abbreviations

Spiggy fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 10, 2022

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol the AT doesn’t even make 100hp no way will the TA be anywhere close

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Found a Shoei RF1400 for a crazy good deal in my size. Gloss black, not my first color choice, but the price was right. So far this thing is pretty nice with the first impressions, my old Nolan is also pretty nice and so is my Schuberth 3/4 but it's good to have a totally modern helmet.

What are people's thoughts on chin curtains and breath guards? I just rode with those on my Nolan X-Lite, and actually never tried it otherwise.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 12, 2022

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Depend on the local weather and when in the season you ride really. You can remove them by default for more air flow, but the chin curtain usually also helps reducing wind and road noise. If you ride when its humid/ high dew point the breath guard helps a little vs fogging on the visor if you dont run pinlock already.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
If you have a pinlock, the breath guard is completely superfluous unless you wear glasses.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I used the chin curtain pretty much only if it was cold and I was out on the highway (RF 1100). Haven't had the opportunity to try it with the GT Air yet, or go on real long ride at speed either.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
I get so warm using a chin curtain I pretty much never do, but the noise reduction is nice.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Chin curtain only in winter. All the Shoes I’ve had have included a small breath guard which has worked pretty well. Since moving to Switzerland I’ve become a real fair-weather only biker so zero misting problems :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I completely forgot I even installed the chin curtain on my RF1200 so oopsie if I’ve been boiling my noggin unnecessarily :ohdear:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Oh man I just remembered. On the 1100 I had to take out the breath guard because past 100 km/h or so, the helmet would be pushed back enough by the wind resistance that the guard would end up hitting my big gaijin nose lol.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Chris Knight posted:

Oh man I just remembered. On the 1100 I had to take out the breath guard because past 100 km/h or so, the helmet would be pushed back enough by the wind resistance that the guard would end up hitting my big gaijin nose lol.

sounds like your helmet didn't fit right

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

sounds like your helmet didn't fit right
Nah. It perfectly fit my noggin in literally every way possible, like I was just amazed at how good it felt to put on. The visor thing was something that would never be found out from sitting around the shop trying things on.

Small head, big nose. Whatcha gonna do.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

my big gaijin nose lol

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Watching Long Way Down for the first time. Anyone know what the bmw boxers they’re using for training in episode one is? They look like a 1200 frame (?) but missing the massive windshield and have more of a motocross style beak with a single centre light. Can’t seem to id them and I’m curious.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

probably the HP2, which, like the 950 super enduro, is too cool to be built anymore :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That definitely looks the part! It looks rad :3:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
get one. they're a bmw that doesn't suck

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

cursedshitbox posted:

get one. they're a bmw that doesn't suck

How many of those are there? anybody got a list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
2200 or so. I see them on every now and then advrider's classifieds. Expect 10-20 thou to find a decent example.