Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
80x30 Uplift desk here. No ragrets.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Brain Issues posted:

what’s in the fridge

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Ok Comboomer posted:

what’s in the fridge

hipster new england IPAs

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

what's on the NAS?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

shrike82 posted:

what's on the NAS?

Probably homegrown :v:

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

The Lord Bude posted:

Oh right. I’ve never liked keyboard trays so I end up much closer to the desk.

I might want to clarify this a bit. It is more a keyboard shelf and not one of those sliding plastic or metal trays.

Once I put the casters on the desktop height was uncomfortable, add on that when I got the desk I had a Trinitron CRT. Even a 3' deep desk didn't leave much room with that monitor on it. My dad had a leftover stair tread that was about 8' long and just about a foot deep. I cut it in half (I have two of these desks), stained it to match the desk color, then got a set of heavy duty drawer slides and mounted it. Thing has held up incredibly well going on 15 plus years now.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Nice stroopwaffel glamour shot.

VelociBacon posted:

I googled this and it looks like it's only 24" deep - wouldn't you want a deeper desktop if you're willing to put something like that in your space anyways? My ikea desk is 29 3/4" deep and I really value that extra space.

My current desk is 25" deep and it hasn't been a problem so far. I do feel a little tight on space, but that's because I don't have a monitor arm and I've devoted a comical amount of desk to an unnecessary but very pretty mat under my mouse and keyboard. I think 24" depth with a VESA arm in place of the stands would be fine. And I don't have much choice, as I need something sit/stand and I can't afford the pricier models with more depth and electric legs. Husky seems to be where it's at, so I'll make that aspect work.

Ok Comboomer posted:

It’s really not. Most of the Home Depots in my area have at least the 48” and often the 62” on display and they’re really not large at all. Add 24 or 10 inches, respectively, and you really get a sense that it’s not as huge as the numbers might make it sound

Ok Comboomer posted:

72” sounds like a lot but if you have two displays that are bigger than like 24” apiece and pretty much any external speakers you’ve eaten up a good chunk of the horizontal space on that desktop. A pair of 27” screens plus two fairly chonky boy monitor speakers, like JBL 305s, and you’re already more or less hitting the limits of what you can put on a desk and make look good

There's actually a 25x62" Hemnes in the space right now, so I have a decent frame of reference. My concern is that this is a 725 square foot apartment, and the desk shares my small-ish living room with a couch and entertainment center. Right now they all balance surprisingly well, but I worry that a 72 incher would dominate the space a lot more and create a bit of a weird vibe for a living room. Pardon the desk mess and the godawful cable management, we're in a transition phase right now:

You can see in the first image how there's technically plenty of space, but in the second image you can hopefully also see why I'm worried things will get cramped. Also that white box to the left of the desk is going to go away, but the telescope it contains is going to get displayed in the seemingly open space on the right. So again, idk. I'm having trouble visualizing how it will look with a more open desk, but as a clutter-hater I'm worried it'll be tight.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 31, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

Nice stroopwaffel glamour shot.

My current desk is 25" deep and it hasn't been a problem so far. I do feel a little tight on space, but that's because I don't have a monitor arm and I've devoted a comical amount of desk to an unnecessary but very pretty mat under my mouse and keyboard. I think 24" depth with a VESA arm in place of the stands would be fine. And I don't have much choice, as I need something sit/stand and I can't afford the pricier models with more depth and electric legs. Husky seems to be where it's at, so I'll make that aspect work.

There's actually a 25x62" Hemnes in the space right now, so I have a decent frame of reference. My concern is that this is a 725 square foot apartment, and the desk shares my small-ish living room with a couch and entertainment center. Right now they all balance surprisingly well, but I worry that a 72 incher would dominate the space a lot more and create a bit of a weird vibe for a living room. Pardon the desk mess and the godawful cable management, we're in a transition phase right now:

You can see in the first image how there's technically plenty of space, but in the second image you can hopefully also see why I'm worried things will get cramped. Also that white box to the left of the desk is going to go away, but the telescope it contains is going to get displayed in the seemingly open space on the right. So again, idk. I'm having trouble visualizing how it will look with a more open desk, but as a clutter-hater I'm worried it'll be tight.

I don’t think adding 5” of tabletop to either side will wreck the aesthetics of the room at all. Right now it kinda looks like you’re struggling to fit everything on tbh

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Alright, fair. The more I look at it the more I agree. I'm just very hesitant to buy large pieces, because I've always lived in small spaces and don't like to limit my ability to fit into the next one. I've already hosed myself enough by getting accustomed to a king bed. :negative:

Two follow-up questions, then:
  1. The 72" model with drawers is currently cheaper than the one without, am I correct in assuming it's the same poo poo and I can just get that one and leave the drawers off?
  2. Also, how are you guys doing cable management on these things when they're so drat open?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Unsinkabear posted:

Also, how are you guys doing cable management on these things when they're so drat open?

The only way to really do it is to tuck the power splitters and surge protectors neatly underneath.

Then run your 1 AC cable to mains, and any Ethernet cables you need, with enough slack that the desk can raise up and down freely. Just do this part with the desk set to maximum height.

I put my external running wires (1 AC cable, 3 Ethernet cables) in a nylon tech flex sheathing to both prevent snagging on anything when raising and lowering, and to clean up the appearance as my Ethernet cables have to run a long distance to an opposite wall.

A cable management channel is not optional with a standing desk.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

Alright, fair. The more I look at it the more I agree. I'm just very hesitant to buy large pieces, because I've always lived in small spaces and don't like to limit my ability to fit into the next one. I've already hosed myself enough by getting accustomed to a king bed. :negative:

Two follow-up questions, then:
  1. The 72" model with drawers is currently cheaper than the one without, am I correct in assuming it's the same poo poo and I can just get that one and leave the drawers off?
  2. Also, how are you guys doing cable management on these things when they're so drat open?

1 - One thing you could do to get a bit of an idea on how much more space a 72" desktop would be, cut some cardboard and tape it to your existing desk. One piece that is 10" x 25" or two 25" x 5". It wouldn't be perfect, but will give you an idea physically how much more space it would take.

2- Cable management on open desks like that is pretty broad, but there are two or three major styles.

The first are essentially baskets that you screw in to the bottom of the desk. You can bundle your excess cable in them, hold a power brick, hold a surge protector, and then route the main power cable down the legs.

Next would be a full bracket style. These come in a bunch of different sizes.

The third would be to use cable holders and attach excess cable, bundled up, to them, and then double stick tape/velcro power bricks and surge protectors to the bottom of the desk. Not as pretty, and more prone to something falling if the tape gives.

Alternatively, if you have a small set of tools, make a little shelf, either hanging down (easy to do with basic hardware), or a simple L shape facing towards the back of the desk so you don't really see much of anything. Could even toss in a few small shelf brackets to add strength. Even if you don't have much more than a screwdriver and drill around, most big box stores will cut lumber for a very nominal fee.

If you really want to hide all errant cables, they make stick on clips (or you can screw them on if you want) to hold and guide cables. These were just the first ones I found on Amazon, but they make a bunch of varieties.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Unsinkabear posted:

Has anyone lost their minds and gone with the full 72" husky workbench as a desk yet? I'm tempted because it will physically fit in my space, but I'm worried it will visually be too much

I went 76", it's great. I'm also an absolute fool who has an ultra wide flanked by two portrait monitors, so lord knows I'm not a good judge of what's too much.

That said I think without the million monitors it's not bad at all, v reasonable and great to have all that space.

E: realized I missed a full page, but yeah, with cable management etc it's not bad imo. As a fellow small apt dweller it does admittedly have a lot of visual weight for sure, but not that different than a smaller one imo.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Brain Issues posted:

drat, that's a sweet setup. Really digging that orange colour, might have to think about doing my office in a similar fashion...

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Johnny Truant posted:

drat, that's a sweet setup. Really digging that orange colour, might have to think about doing my office in a similar fashion...

Thanks! It's definitely vibrant, and I'm sure it's not everyones cup of tea. Orange is my favorite color though and I love how it turned out.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Anyone have a guide on how to make a good corner desk from ikea countertops? Thinking of upgrading my office but could use some furniture suggestions.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

Anyone have a guide on how to make a good corner desk from ikea countertops? Thinking of upgrading my office but could use some furniture suggestions.

There's not much to it - get some end tables or filing cabinets and put a counter on top. If you want to get fancy with it cut it and scrap some extra to make a neat / or \ into your corner or just be lazy and get two and cut the second down.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

Can use the filing cabinets. Downside is you practically have to double-side tape them down, as I don't think they have any attachment points for the desktop.

Depending on how long the individual desktops will be, you will probably want something in the middle of each, and even at the join point, to help prevent bowing. Search around to see if you have a used office furniture store near. They should have desk legs sitting around for sale for relatively cheap (one near me asks 15-20 bucks a leg). You can use them to shore up the desk with just some screws. Then you can slide some filing cabinets underneath.

If you really want to make sure the two desktops line up, a pack of something like these under desk clamps will do the trick. No matter what you do, there will be some difference in the heights, which mostly will come from your floor. I would not recommend connecting the desktops together until they are on their feet/cabinets. There is no way you could flip an L desk without ripping those connectors apart.

Alternatively, if you have a spare 1x6" laying around, that would do just as well (and could be stained/painted to match).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Koskun posted:

Can use the filing cabinets. Downside is you practically have to double-side tape them down, as I don't think they have any attachment points for the desktop.

Depending on how long the individual desktops will be, you will probably want something in the middle of each, and even at the join point, to help prevent bowing. Search around to see if you have a used office furniture store near. They should have desk legs sitting around for sale for relatively cheap (one near me asks 15-20 bucks a leg). You can use them to shore up the desk with just some screws. Then you can slide some filing cabinets underneath.

If you really want to make sure the two desktops line up, a pack of something like these under desk clamps will do the trick. No matter what you do, there will be some difference in the heights, which mostly will come from your floor. I would not recommend connecting the desktops together until they are on their feet/cabinets. There is no way you could flip an L desk without ripping those connectors apart.

Alternatively, if you have a spare 1x6" laying around, that would do just as well (and could be stained/painted to match).

IKEA will sell you a desk leg or trestle for like $5 and up

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Speaking of filling cabinets, can anyone recommend one that doesn't look like classic stamped metal garbage?

I need something to go under the white frame Husky workbench, to replace the storage on my outgoing Hemnes. I don't actually file poo poo even though I probably should, so it can just be drawers if that's also an option.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 2, 2022

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Hired two new junior staffers, needed to make workplace accommodations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Are those penguins paper or wood?

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

IKEA will sell you a desk leg or trestle for like $5 and up
I've been in IKEA once, and that was 15 years ago give or take. A few of the tech youtubers I watch have done new/renovations of their offices, and I catch "this came from IKEA, like everyone else does", glance at it and say to myself "yeah, it's a set of drawers/butcherblock/desktop", the wince at the price. I've gotten spoiled by a couple of used furniture stores near me.

Three Olives posted:

Hired two new junior staffers, needed to make workplace accommodations.

I want to take a moment and admire that llama cat stand. That thing is amazing.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Koskun posted:

I want to take a moment and admire that llama cat stand. That thing is amazing.

The kittens might be a bit spoiled.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Is no one going to talk about the gigantic smartphone on the wall.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the smart mirror always sticks out whenever 3O posts an update - seems incredibly uncomfortable for anyone who'd want to sit on the chair

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

shrike82 posted:

the smart mirror always sticks out whenever 3O posts an update - seems incredibly uncomfortable for anyone who'd want to sit on the chair

I dunno, the junior staffer there seems to be perfectly fine with it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

spunkshui posted:

Is no one going to talk about the gigantic smartphone on the wall.

It's a TV. They've been over this before.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

It's a TV. They've been over this before.

how dare you so casually insult 3O + husband?

you’ve been here long enough to know that they are both Borrowers, and that Three Olives’ WFH office is set up inside of a very tasteful new construction condominium with a full LEGO brick exterior located in the Western district of a large diorama inside of a Houston area shopping mall

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Husky 72" desk is here an in-use. Once I find some cable management I like I will post pics.

I have seen some microphone + arm combos. Looks like Blue Snowballs in black, plus boom arm?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I have seen some microphone + arm combos. Looks like Blue Snowballs in black, plus boom arm?

I use the Elgato low profile arm, and I like it since I can keep it out of view of my video on conference calls. It doesn't have the same reach as the biggest boom arms though if you need it to go far.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Husky 72" desk is here an in-use. Once I find some cable management I like I will post pics.

Yeah that's the right combo. Make sure you get a pop filter if you're already getting a boom.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Old office setup

New office setup

Picked up two countertops, 2 alex units, some table legs, a peg board, and a kallax from Ikea. My hobby (painting minis) grew but my space didn't grow with it, and since I managed to snag a decent new job, I decided to upgrade.

Still trying to figure out where everything will go exactly, but I'm very happy with the result.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 13, 2022

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Love the setup Verisimilidude! It looks great! This thread never ceases to make me go "Man I wish I could do this in my own space!"

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Looks great, really well laid out.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I bought this lil monitor stand. I kept getting neck/shoulder pain when I had longer days at my desk.

before

I feel like the bulk of my work content is in the SW quadrant of the monitor anyway. I might replace my old MBP and mini with a M2 Pro MBP whenever those come out, as well as change from a 21:9 monitor to 16:9 4K instead.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Coming close to nirvana for getting a really good live sports betting set up and also serves to split down the middle during the work week. Thinking next steps are to get another husky desk to form an L on my right and probably put a tv on the wall above the UW.

Needs a little wire management too.

I have a problem.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
What do you keep your AC at

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Coming close to nirvana for getting a really good live sports betting set up and also serves to split down the middle during the work week. Thinking next steps are to get another husky desk to form an L on my right and probably put a tv on the wall above the UW.

Needs a little wire management too.

I have a problem.

Are those like fuckin TVs you have to facilitate sports betting

Cause jfc

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Macaluso posted:

What do you keep your AC at

Don't generate much heat, but my day job is with the electric company so I'm doing my part!

Johnny Truant posted:

Are those like fuckin TVs you have to facilitate sports betting

Cause jfc

Middle is a Samsung 49" UW and the sides are LG 27". I do think I'm going to get an actual TV On the wall above the UW to pipe Comcast in, but that's still in the works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I support the sports betting setup, if I were using that I'd make so many bets it'd make your head spin.